Books that changed your life

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: Books that changed your life

Post by stoptothink »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:01 am
VictoriaF wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 pm
jjunk wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:31 pm
The Power of Habit: Charles Duhigg
I thought it was the best book on habits until I read "Atomic habits" by James Clear.

Victoria
"The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg is an excellent book.

Then I read "Atomic Habits" by James Clear and found it superb.

A few weeks ago, I listened to a podcast of Shane Parrish (Farnam Street) with BJ Fogg and I bought Fogg's book "Tiny Habits."

Each book on habits was helpful and helped me to make a change. But Tiny Habits is the most transformative. I feel that following Fogg's guidance I can accomplish anything I wish.

Victoria
Read them all. After a while they really start to sound exactly the same.

Can't say it changed my life, but I just finished "Why we get Sick:...." by Ben Bikman. He's a pathophysiology researcher at local U that I've met on several different occasions. I like his work better than others in the genre (ie. Jason Fung).
daheld

Post by daheld »

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
Mr-et-Mrs-R

Post by Mr-et-Mrs-R »

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books - read them as a 13 year old and laughed at the silly bits, re-read it in my 20s and realized that Douglas Adams was satirizing society pretty darn well. Use the chapter on Deep Thought to explain the talking heads on TV.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Wonderful first read, thought it was all BS on the 2nd, think it's good on the 3rd and 4th times around.

The Crazy Iris - Kenzaburo Oe - true stories from the survivors of the atomic bombings.

Illustrated Chess for Children - Harvey Kidder - taught me strategy.
Go for Beginners - Kaoru Iwamoto - taught me that I know nothing.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:06 am
VictoriaF wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:01 am "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg is an excellent book.

Then I read "Atomic Habits" by James Clear and found it superb.

A few weeks ago, I listened to a podcast of Shane Parrish (Farnam Street) with BJ Fogg and I bought Fogg's book "Tiny Habits."

Each book on habits was helpful and helped me to make a change. But Tiny Habits is the most transformative. I feel that following Fogg's guidance I can accomplish anything I wish.

Victoria
Read them all. After a while they really start to sound exactly the same.

Can't say it changed my life, but I just finished "Why we get Sick:...." by Ben Bikman. He's a pathophysiology researcher at local U that I've met on several different occasions. I like his work better than others in the genre (ie. Jason Fung).
I am ordering Bikman's book from Amazon. Thank you for the recommendation!

As for the habits books being the same, here are some responses:
- Duhigg's and Clear's books relied heavily on Fogg's research. By itself, this does not mean that Fogg would present his own work better than writers who popularize it. However, Fogg has over ten years of practical experience of teaching his method. His has a large base of problems people face and successes in solving them.
- Fogg has the most useful--for me--ideas for what to do if I abandon a good habit.
- But most of all, I like Fogg's idea and examples of celebrations. Unlike other reward ideas, such as go to a gym and then treat yourself to a cake, Fogg recommends frequent discrete immediate celebrations. As a psychologist, he relies on the research that we respond to the frequency more than to the magnitude and the need to celebrate immediately.

I am not trying to change your opinion. I am trying to explain to those unfamiliar with the habit books why I like Tiny Habits so much.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:06 am Can't say it changed my life, but I just finished "Why we get Sick:...." by Ben Bikman. He's a pathophysiology researcher at local U that I've met on several different occasions. I like his work better than others in the genre (ie. Jason Fung).
My recollection is that I liked Bikman’s book, but Fung’s books did quite literally change my life. Before: out of control T2 diabetic injecting up to 150IU of insulin daily.
After: No longer injecting insulin, off blood thinners, etc.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:43 am
stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:06 am Can't say it changed my life, but I just finished "Why we get Sick:...." by Ben Bikman. He's a pathophysiology researcher at local U that I've met on several different occasions. I like his work better than others in the genre (ie. Jason Fung).
My recollection is that I liked Bikman’s book, but Fung’s books did quite literally change my life. Before: out of control T2 diabetic injecting up to 150IU of insulin daily.
Amazon shows that Bikman's book became available on July 21, 2020. Did you have an advanced copy?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 am
Amazon shows that Bikman's book became available on July 21, 2020. Did you have an advanced copy?

Victoria
+1. It's his first book and it came out last week. Dr. Bikman has some good youtube videos and he's a great podcast guest. IMO, he's a little more honest with the science than Jason Fung; it really bothers me that Fung basically says calories are irrelevant
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Victoria
No, it must have been a similarly titled book I confused it with. I looked through my Amazon order history and couldn’t find the book that confused me. Perhaps it was https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/114 ... ven_t_Read. :D
Papago

Post by Papago »

People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn
Understanding Power: The Essential Chomsky - Noam Chomsky
Manufacturing Consent - Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky
Last edited by Papago on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:01 am

Victoria
+1. It's his first book and it came out last week. Dr. Bikman has some good youtube videos and he's a great podcast guest. IMO, he's a little more honest with the science than Jason Fung; it really bothers me that Fung basically says calories are irrelevant
FWIW, I have not used Fung’s books to lose weight (except incidentally); I found his recommendations life altering for dealing with T2 Diabetes.

ETA: it was Why we get sick: the new science of Darwinian medicine . Ordered Bikman’s book.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jim Profit

Post by Jim Profit »

The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene.

Not just changed my life going forward, but forced a painful review of past choices and made me realize some critical mistakes that were made along the way. Can't do anything about those past mistakes now of course, but future choices are another matter...
finanzfrau

Post by finanzfrau »

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
This book came to me when I was at the cusp of graduating school and was not sure about what I wanted to do with my life.

Zero to One - Peter Thiel
A great book if you want to be an entrepreneur.

Hell and Other Destinations - Madeline Albright
As a woman and immigrant she lived an amazing life and achieved the American dream.

Appetite for Life: The Biography of Julia Child
As I read this book, I was amazed at how Julia worked in the OSS ( intelligence agency) in her younger days.
A fascinating life of travels and good food.
She and her husband were such a fine example of representing the USA in other countries.

The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
This book taught me to be present, no more multitasking, listening and enjoying the small things in life.

Emil and the Detectives - Erich Kastner
This book brings out the child in me. I read it both in English and German.
What a difference it makes to read it in the original language !
It was very empowering as a child.

How to raise successful people : simple lessons for radical results - Esther Wojcicki
I borrowed it first from the library and then bought the book.
A great parenting book to for parents who want to raise independent children.

Bogleheads forum
lurking on this forum, helped me make investment decisions and deepened my interest in managing my finances better.
Randolph Mortimer

Post by Randolph Mortimer »

One day I walked into work and everyone had a copy of Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions in their chair.

I didn't read it but I started looking for another job immediately. Life-changing.
Every things free

Post by Every things free »

I'm always reading.
Whatever I'm currently reading is the best.

Of course the best of the best will always be the Bible.
It's beyond a book....it's alive.

Kim
You know when you are rich. You can buy anything you want but want nothing.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Hop on Pop - The book that started me reading
Les Miserable - Helped me think more about my moral philosophy
Free to Choose - Triggered a major shift in my political philosophy
Several by Bogle - Inspired me to become a Boglehead
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

The Alexandria Quartet, by Lawrence Durrell

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, by Shunryu Suzuki

Both, in their very different ways, introduced me to the cognitive distortions I was living in and taking for granted (before I knew the term "cognitive distortion").
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.
Abe

Post by Abe »

I read a book many years ago by Jimmy Napier titled "Invest in Debt". I don't know if I would say it changed my life, but it certainly had a big impact on me financially. The book is self published and sort of hard to follow at times, almost as if the author just wrote down what came to his mind but never went back to edit it. Knowing Jimmy, that's probably exactly what he did. But, having said that, the book changed my thinking about money and investing. It's about how to use a financial calculator to buy owner financed mortgages at discount and various ways to structure the notes and the financing. But it's a lot more than that. The time value of money concepts I learned from the book were vital, not only for investing in mortgage notes but investing in general. Jimmy died not too long ago. I, along with a lot of others, will miss him. He was a good teacher.
Slow and steady wins the race.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

"How to Think Like a Boss and Get Ahead at Work" by Barry Eigen. Picked this book up in an airport newsstand. This book is an excellent guide for newer employees and managers. It was especially meaningful for me since I came from a blue collar/ union membership family. I gave copies to each of my direct reports each time I received a new supervisory assignment. It is an excellent gift for a new graduate. It appears to be out of print but is available used (Amazon).

Example chapters:
  • Hard Work Won't Get You Promoted
  • The "Be Good - Get Rewarded" Myth
  • Why Perfect Employees Go Nowhere
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

MarkBarb wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:32 am Hop on Pop - The book that started me reading
Right, I forgot about my first book. And I don't even remember the exact title. It was the first of the Macmillan "Ted and Sally" pre-primers. I entered kindergarten, and after about three weeks they decided I really belonged in first grade, so they moved me and I was, of course, disoriented.

My folks had read to me a lot and showed me words in books and I had a high degree of reading readiness, but they had not tried to teach me to read. And this was before The Cat in the Hat. I knew Dr. Seuss, of course, but only from having my folks read me If I Ran the Zoo.

So this was the first book I had ever seen that had very simple words. I can't swear as to what they were exactly, but I think the first page said "Look, look," and the second page said "See, see." "Run" and "play" and "ball" and "funny" followed. The dog was named Boots, and Boots was often funny. They didn't try to describe what Boots did, but the pictures made it clear. See funny Boots!

Anyway, when I came home from school that day, my mom asked me how school had been, and I said "I can read! I can read!" And my mom said "Really?" And I said "Yes! The kid next to me showed me how."

The sheer rapturous joy of reading completely overcame any critical objections to the bland stupidity of the story.

I still can't believe that in third grade, we read a story about "Ebenezer Never-Could-Sneezer." He couldn't sneeze because his nose had been clipped off by a cannonball in a war, and he longed to sneeze. The happy ending was that he could go down by the railroad, where there were apparently steam trains, and by using good timing he could go "Ah--ah--ah--" and the train would go "Choo!" And he could go "Ker--ker--ker--" and the train could go "Choo!" The more I think about that story, the more disturbing it gets.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Stop-Time by Frank Conroy

That book showed me what excellent writing was. David Foster Wallace also cites it as the book that made him want to be a writer.
Dmanse02

Post by Dmanse02 »

I don’t see any Mitch Albom books mentioned. Had the pleasure of reading several while in high school - Tuesdays with Morrie, Five People You Meet in Heaven, First Phone Call from Heaven. All entertaining, easy reads. Really adjusted my perspective to cherish life and its moments, the climb, and not just look ahead to the end goal.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

A Monster Calls, Patrick Ness
Babbitt, Sinclair Lewis
Angle of Repose, Wallace Stegner
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Marine! The Life of Chesty Puller

Teacher gave me his copy in the summer before eighth grade to read. Found my own copy a couple years later and have bent up the pages many times. Really solidified some values and views for me as an impressionable twelve year old. Also likely gave me a big push to go to school on an ROTC scholarship.
Robert_007

Post by Robert_007 »

“The narrative of the life of Frederick Douglas”, hands down.
ruhigste

Post by ruhigste »

aceoperations wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:59 pm A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

It gives perspective on how many aspects of life we take for granted. And the power of the human spirit, to find joy in one's life, no matter the circumstances.
I also read this as a teenager. I was grateful for meals for a long time afterward.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I guess the intent was to name books that changed your life for the better, but in HS I read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I became an even more insufferable twit than is normal for an adolescent male.

Thankfully, the intoxication didn’t last long, and the hangover was mercifully short.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Healing Back Pain by Dr John Sarno
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 am I became an even more insufferable twit than is normal for an adolescent male.
But it was fun while it lasted, no?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jasminetea

Post by jasminetea »

The Four Agreements: Don Miguel Ruiz
Educated: Tara Westover
The Gifts of Imperfection: Brene Brown
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

bertilak wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 am I became an even more insufferable twit than is normal for an adolescent male.
But it was fun while it lasted, no?
Yes, but it was pretty painful for my friends and family 😁
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

All of Jack Bogle's and the Bogleheads!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
tchoupitoulas

Post by tchoupitoulas »

Here's one I don't think anyone will mention: Congo, by Michael Crichton.

Congo was the first "grown up" book I read. I was 10 and I was in summer camp, and the kid in the bunk above me had just finished it. I had never been hooked by a book like that. I distinctly remember walking to and from meals while reading and trying not to bump into people. I went on to read all Crichton's books over the next year (my favorite was Sphere, also a great movie). From there, thankfully, I developed better taste. I had a true love of reading all through middle and high school and I think it really helped make me who I am today. I probably would have had it anyway, given my upbringing and who my parents are, but who knows. My brother never did.

Also in the same category (early influences): Destination Moon, by Herge (a tintin book). I got this as a present when I was 8 and I was absolutely obsessed with Tintin for years. I'm not sure I would have the same interest in travel, history, world cultures, justice, etc. if I hadn't become a Tintin addict at a young age.
dms1709

Post by dms1709 »

Atlas Shrugged
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

"I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov was the first "adult" science fiction I read as a child.

It got me interested in Isaac Asimov, who got me interested in science, which got me interested in technology, which evolved into a terrific, lucrative career.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

Non-Fiction
  • Return From Tomorrow - George Ritchie
  • The Cuckoo's Egg - Cliff Stoll
  • Lost Moon - Jim Lovell
  • The Great Escape - Paul Brickhill
  • How to win friends and influence people -
  • Strengths Finder 2.0
Fiction
  • Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
  • Contact - Carl Sagan
  • The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Conch55 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:54 pm The C Programming Language. I started out my IT career as a C programmer and this book helped me get going. I also give credit to W. Richard Stevens for readable books on network programming.
+1. On both books. The definitely put me on the right track in my career.

Also +1 for Soul of a Mew Machine. At the time I read the book, I was working on the computer and OS talked about in the book.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

vested1 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:45 am In a way, every book is a life changer. If it's exceptionally bad however, I tear it up and throw it in the trash so I'm not responsible for passing it on.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Stand by Steven King
1984 by George Orwell
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Bogleheads Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore and others

Lately I've been simply escaping into the world of Lee Childs and his hero Jack Reacher, with regret that Tom Cruise was chosen for the movie versions.
The Stand scares me each and every yime I read it. ( at least 15 times)

The Late Great Planet Earth. - It is always in the back of my mind.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All" by Michael Shellenberger. Listened to it on Audible over the last few days. Didn't change my life, but I could think of several people in my life who it might have that level of influence on.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

- All Creatures Great and Small
- All Things Bright and Beautiful
- All Things Wise and Wonderful
- The Lord God Made Them All

Written by James Alfred Wight under the pen name James Herriot.

I read these books in high school. They gave me inspiration to think about becoming a veterinarian. I loved animals, but having a strong dislike of biology redirected my career path to engineering.

I also watched every episode of the TV series.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Van

Post by Van »

Willy Wong American

A book I would guess almost no one has heard of. Published in 1952. I read it when I was a young boy of around of 12 years old. It deals with discrimination against a young Chinese boy in San Francisco (as I recall). Anyway it profoundly affected me.
GR8FUL-D

Post by GR8FUL-D »

The Yearling, by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. My father read this book aloud to my sister and me over the course of a month or so when I was about six or seven years old. I remember he used different voices for all the primary characters in the book which really made the book "come alive". I asked for a baby deer for Christmas for the next several years until (for reasons I can no longer remember) I stopped asking for a deer and started asking for a chimpanzee instead...not surprisingly I never received either!

Hands-down the other most memorable books from my childhood were A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet, all by Madeleine L'Engle. I read those when I was somewhere around the time I was 10 years old, and from that point on I was a regular at our local public library.

In my mid-teens I really got into a series of sci-fi / fantasy books by Piers Anthony (One a Pale Horse, Bearing an Hourglass, With a Tangle Skin, and Wielding a Red Sword). There are other books in the series, but I didn't think they were as good as the first four.

And in my senior year of high school I read Dune--I remember I started reading it at about 10pm at night and read it straight through in one sitting, finishing it early the next morning. That was just an amazing book...

Other impactful authors were Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah, and A Gift of Wings), Og Mandino (all his books) and Leo Buscaglia.

None of the above books were impactful in terms of "teaching" my anything (exceptions made for Og Mandino and Leo Buscaglia), but rather for creating in me a lifelong love of reading. With the advent of the internet and all its' competing forms of media, I wonder if the average kid reads long-form books and novels in the same way that previous generations did?? Sadly I'm guessing not...
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I'm a fan of the best smelling leadership book "the Dog Poop Initiative."
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm The Alexandria Quartet, by Lawrence Durrell

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, by Shunryu Suzuki

Both, in their very different ways, introduced me to the cognitive distortions I was living in and taking for granted (before I knew the term "cognitive distortion").
+1
I studied under a zen monk (and others) in my early years And Suzuki’s tiny book was a good adjunct to the sometimes more eclectic zen and Chan texts.

At the same time I read “As A Man Thinketh” and those in combination were pretty cathartic.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

The fountain head ayn rand
Please understand me
Never split the difference
The growth mindset
Children the challenge
Stick5vw

Post by Stick5vw »

Whatever book grabs the attention of my 3 year old is a regularly occurring, amazing experience. Seeing him become animated, talkative, smile etc just by reading one of his favorite books is borderline magical. A lot of Dr. Seuss but also in the middle of a dinosaur phase right now ;-)

On a more "adult" level, I recently read the "Algebra of Happiness" by Scott Galloway (NYU Professor) and found it thought provoking. He's also quite active on social media these days especially as it relates to Tech firms and the coming disruption in the higher education field.

Other books that stand out from my youth are Siddhartha and The Great Gatsby. Then a bit older, I went through a Ron Chernow phase (House of Morgan, The Warburgs, Titan, Alexander Hamilton) that made me appreciate financial history much more.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Stick5vw wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:34 pm Whatever book grabs the attention of my 3 year old is a regularly occurring, amazing experience. Seeing him become animated, talkative, smile etc just by reading one of his favorite books is borderline magical. A lot of Dr. Seuss but also in the middle of a dinosaur phase right now ;-)

On a more "adult" level, I recently read the "Algebra of Happiness" by Scott Galloway (NYU Professor) and found it thought provoking. He's also quite active on social media these days especially as it relates to Tech firms and the coming disruption in the higher education field.

Other books that stand out from my youth are Siddhartha and The Great Gatsby. Then a bit older, I went through a Ron Chernow phase (House of Morgan, The Warburgs, Titan, Alexander Hamilton) that made me appreciate financial history much more.
"House of Morgan" was a great book.
hidradenitis

Post by hidradenitis »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:41 pm - All Creatures Great and Small
- All Things Bright and Beautiful
- All Things Wise and Wonderful
- The Lord God Made Them All

Written by James Alfred Wight under the pen name James Herriot.

I read these books in high school. They gave me inspiration to think about becoming a veterinarian. I loved animals, but having a strong dislike of biology redirected my career path to engineering.

I also watched every episode of the TV series.
I grew up with his books. They nudged me into a career in medicine.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Meditations
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
The Feynman Lectures on Physics
A Random Walk Down Wall Street
Starting Strength
Innumeracy
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Herman Hesse
Demien and Siddhartha
The Glass Bead Game, including the imbedded short story about a rainmaker

Henry David Thoreau
Walden

Kurt Vonnegut
Cat's Cradle

Nikos Kazantzakis
The Last Temptation of Christ

Percy Bysshe Shelley
Ozymandias

Warning, I read all these books back in college when I was enthralled by a very cosmic view of my life in relation to the world around me.

My main take from Herman Hesse is "each man's life is a road toward himself". The rainmaker short story is worth reading even if you can't make it through all of The Glass Bead Game. My parent's grew up near Walden Pond and one of my sons lives and works near it now. I went to college with Vonnegut's son, meeting him briefly at an adjacent pottery wheel. The Kazantzakis book contributed to my perspective on Christianity (I am a Unitarian).

The poem is from a high school class, but the message has stuck with me.