Books that changed your life

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FI4LIFE

Re: Books that changed your life

Post by FI4LIFE »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 pm
jjunk wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:31 pm 10% Happier: Dan Harris
Check out his book "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics."
jjunk wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:31 pm The Power of Habit: Charles Duhigg
I thought it was the best book on habits until I read "Atomic habits" by James Clear.

Victoria
"Atomic Habits" is excellent. I am listening to the audiobook now. One of the most actionable "self-help" books I've read.
PVW

Post by PVW »

In the very literal interpretation of changing my life, what I do for my career is the single biggest influence. The course of my career is defined by a specific area of engineering. There are several influential authors, but probably the most influential text in my field is 'The Finite Element Method' by Zienkiewicz and Taylor.

I mostly read for entertainment and education and not many books have changed the way I view the world. However, Orwell's 1984 provided a grim realization. For me, it wasn't so much about government control, but that society can become a slave to itself. Society convinces itself that giving up liberty and free will is what is best. I think it is slowly playing out in reality.

A mentor of mine loaned me his copy of Richard Bach's 'Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah'. It's a story that conveys the metaphysical idea that the only thing that is real is the way our mind interprets reality. He said it had changed his outlook on life, but didn't do much for me.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:39 am I am curious if anyone will ever name the book I am thinking of.
Doctor Who?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

chipperd wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:32 pm "The 7 habits of highly effective people"
Excellent book!

"Seek first to Understand, then to be Understood"...… Great Advise
unstartable

Post by unstartable »

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

"Self Reliance" by Emerson.

I wish everyone who posts "which underwear should I buy" questions online would read this first.
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

Godot wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:26 am
Irisheyes wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:29 pm Foucault, Discipline and Punish.
Gramsci, Prison Notebooks
Happy to see Foucault make an appearance. Very unexpected in this forum. Am a lifelong student of his work.
:happy Influenced my grad degree and hence career.

Sam Beckett a great choice. I think of him when experiencing market downturns and am wondering whether to bail: "I can't go on. I'll go on."
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

FI4LIFE wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:37 am
VictoriaF wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 pm
jjunk wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:31 pm 10% Happier: Dan Harris
Check out his book "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics."
jjunk wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:31 pm The Power of Habit: Charles Duhigg
I thought it was the best book on habits until I read "Atomic habits" by James Clear.

Victoria
"Atomic Habits" is excellent. I am listening to the audiobook now. One of the most actionable "self-help" books I've read.
I've pretty much read everything in this genre. I have a folder of docs of my own notes on all of them that I share with my employees. "Atomic Habits" was good (I did like it better than Duhigg's book), but if you've followed Clear's blog, it was nothing new. That's my only issue with books in this genre: eventually they all say the same thing...but I keep reading them.
jubby288

Post by jubby288 »

How to Win Friends and Influence People

JB
Last edited by jubby288 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brainstem

Post by brainstem »

Winning the Losers Game
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. (I actually listened to the book through Audible)

Now, it got me in the thinking of saving, investing, and changed my way of thinking. I did read more books from that "product line" of Rich Dad Poor Dad, but I did not pay for a class, lecture, or advisor. Those are traps.

The book got me expanding my look of investing, brought me to the Intelligent Investor and other personal finance books, took me to BiggerPockets.com and also brought me here after a friend's suggestion after discussing this book.
Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 am "Self Reliance" by Emerson.

I wish everyone who posts "which underwear should I buy" questions online would read this first.
Yikes... Way to call me out. I've actually had the book sitting in my closet too and have never read =\
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy »

Rich Dad, Poor Dad
Can't Hurt Me
Models: Attract Women Through Honesty
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
maj

Post by maj »

Two books did that for me.
Poverty of Spirit by J B Metz (only about 54 pages)
Depth Psychology and a New Ethic by E Neumann (147 pages)

peace
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

Leadership and Self-Deception
The Total Money Makeover
Getting Things Done
Behave
Atlas Shrugged
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

bluebolt wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:01 am Selfish Gene, The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins - Great writing about evolution & evolutionary biology
Any number of books by Dawkins, a great mind and writer.
Also Christopher Hitchens

Worst influence: Ayn Rand. Read in HS, and made me an even bigger twit than would have been age appropriate.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek »

Love this thread. Already borrowed a couple of these books on Libby!

For me:
As a man thinketh
Learned Optimism
Rich Dad, Poor Dad
How to win friends and influence people
sharukh

Post by sharukh »

Winning the losers game
People skills
Why does he do that
average married dad
Obesity code
Bir48die

Post by Bir48die »

The Bible
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

Atlas Shrugged.
Your Money or Your Life.
Reading "The Economist" mag and WSJ over the last several years has made me overall more reluctant to invest in emerging markets. Not that USA, European markets in general do not have corruption in government (LOL), but the regularity (.....almost to the point of the expectation of it ?), in emerging market countries just make me shy away. I'm a REALLY small potato, so no earth shattering movement, just my personal observation.
I like Charlie Munger's quote:

'In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn't read all the time -- none, zero. You'd be amazed at how much Warren reads--and at how much I read. My children laugh at me. They think I'm a book with a couple of legs sticking out.'
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Atlas Shrugged
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

Out of date set of World Book Encyclopedia, my parents scrounged for me when I was in elementary school.

Out of date set of Encyclopedia Britannica, middle school, missing a couple of volumes as I recall.

Heathkit catalog / The Radio Amateur's Handbook, etc.

The Soul of a New Machine
It helped build a fire in me for a successful career that barely ever felt like work and helped me to be comfortable with the likely impermanence of the result.
furikake

Post by furikake »

I've read quite a few that you guys mentioned in my early days. "The Secret" was what I read when I was at the lowest point in my life and it really helped me get back up.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Counter to many of the positivity books listed (Think and Grow Rich, The Power of Positive Thinking, The Secret), I was strongly affected by Barbara Eherenreich's "Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking is Undermining America." In the same way the the forums here have taught me to be cautiously suspicious of a lot of the claims and shenanigans in the financial industry, this one gave me some deep skepticism about the positivity movement. I think it has provided a very healthy layer of protection from the more outrageous ideas in that genre.

"Surely You're Joking, Mister Feynman" convinced me I should major in physics in college. Though in retrospect I'm not sure I should have been one, but that's a different story.
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

Primo Levi, If This Is a Man. Human nature in unimaginable circumstances (concentration camp), written with profound insight.
travelspot

Post by travelspot »

“Autobiography of a Yogi” by Paramahansa Yogananda.

Excellent spiritual exploration. The author was Hindu but discusses similarities with Christianity. (He also wrote a two volume chronology on the life and teachings of Jesus.)
Last edited by travelspot on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

PoppyA wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:24 pm Atlas Shrugged
Objectivism, particularly as it was portrayed in Rand's books, struck me as puerile. I'm glad I read her work because of its influence on certain things, but I'm always curious why her books have an outsized representation on "books that changed my life" lists.
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:49 am
elvisimprsntr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:48 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:39 am I am curious if anyone will ever name the book I am thinking of.
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells?
LOL, awesome guess. Thanks that made my day, but that is not the book.
HHGTTG - Douglas Adams?
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

John Bogle - 3 fund portfolio , Bogleheads guide to investing.

Trend Trading: A seven step approach to success 1st Edition
by Daryl Guppy

and Sam I am with green eggs and ham.
lol.

The Bible.
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I am surprised "Into The Wild" didn't strike a chord with more BH. Christopher McCandless was sort of an early FIRE kings of guy.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

bluebolt wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:17 pm
Objectivism, particularly as it was portrayed in Rand's books, struck me as puerile. I'm glad I read her work because of its influence on certain things, but I'm always curious why her books have an outsized representation on "books that changed my life" lists.
Because it gives one license to be more selfish than one would otherwise be.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

I'm always curious why her books have an outsized representation on "books that changed my life" lists.
It's because people read them when they're teenagers. There's a snarky quote out there about how Atlas Shrugged and The Lord of the Rings are the two fantasy novels that are beloved by nerdy teenaged boys.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

The C Programming Language. I started out my IT career as a C programmer and this book helped me get going. I also give credit to W. Richard Stevens for readable books on network programming.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

Body for Life by Bill Phillips

The Okinawa Diet by Willcox and Suzuki

Small Stakes Hold’em by Ed Miller

Ordinary People Extraordinary Wealth by Ric Edelman
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

I generally don't read any non-fiction or "self-help" books. Notable fiction in my life might include:
Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
Dune - Herbert
The Gormanghast Trilogy (first two books anyway) - Peake
Naked Lunch - William Burroughs
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter Thompson
All poetry and fiction by Charles Bukowski
Most of Haruki Murakami's books
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:46 am
bluebolt wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:01 am Selfish Gene, The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins - Great writing about evolution & evolutionary biology
Any number of books by Dawkins, a great mind and writer.
Also Christopher Hitchens

Worst influence: Ayn Rand. Read in HS, and made me an even bigger twit than would have been age appropriate.
I haven't yet read The Selfish Gene - I've heard great things about it - it's on my to-read list!

[Comment removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]
shans2000

Post by shans2000 »

Rich Dad Poor Dad, Robert Kiyosaki
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

Periodic Table by Primo Levi
The Discoverers by Daniel J. Boorstin
Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder
Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries by Ulansey (David?)
Hidden Life of Trees, Peter Wohlleben

Fiction:
Luis de Gongora, Soneto CLXVI
Pedro Calderon de la Barca, La Vida es Sueño
Miguel de Cervantes y Saavedra, Novelas Ejemplares
Miguel de Unamuno, San Manuel Bueno, Martir
Italo Calvino, il Barone rampante (The Baron in the Trees)
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

beehivehave wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:40 pm
Because it gives one license to be more selfish than one would otherwise be.
Not sure selfish is the right word here, I mean, take Peter Keating, he was kind of the selfish king, in a self preservation kind of way.

Edit: I defer for now, I can't think of a book that changed my life, I mean, a book that changed where I am living, who I married, my financial situation, well I guess college textbooks may have, indirectly. Let's see, someone mentioned Flatland, maybe that book did, hmm, oh wait I have to go now, my wife is shrieking
Last edited by Kagord on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:24 pm I am surprised "Into The Wild" didn't strike a chord with more BH. Christopher McCandless was sort of an early FIRE kings of guy.
Interesting and sad story, but I never understood why anyone would think McCandless should be idolized.
Small Change

Post by Small Change »

"Free to Choose" by Milton and Rose Friedman (1980); along with an accompanying PBS TV series by the same name.

I bought the book then ($3.50 at a used-book store), and it is three feet away from me as I type this.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:42 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:24 pm I am surprised "Into The Wild" didn't strike a chord with more BH. Christopher McCandless was sort of an early FIRE kings of guy.
Interesting and sad story, but I never understood why anyone would think McCandless should be idolized.
If someone idolizes him I would imagine it is because he followed his own path or lived life on his terms, brief that it was.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

Conch55 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:54 pm The C Programming Language. I started out my IT career as a C programmer and this book helped me get going. I also give credit to W. Richard Stevens for readable books on network programming.
Word - for me it was "Practical C", by Steve Oualline (aka "The Cow Book"), sometime when I was in high school. Cemented my determination to be a programmer.

(also picked up some bad/outdated habits from that book, that I had to break myself of - not sure I ever actually developed anything that would have benefitted from saving 2 bytes using shorts instead of ints :oops:)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:52 pm
If someone idolizes him I would imagine it is because he followed his own path or lived life on his terms, brief that it was.
Timothy Treadwell was another who followed his own path and lived life on his own terms. (He was thought to have been insane). His life was documented in the film Grizzly Man (2005) by Werner Herzog. I recommend the film.
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

The Science of Getting Rich, Wallace Wattles

The Trick to Money is Having Some, Stuart Wilde

Neither are what people would think they are from the titles, they are attitudinal books about mindset as opposed to do "this" and you will get rich.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:11 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:52 pm
Timothy Treadwell was another who followed his own path and lived life on his own terms. (He was thought to have been insane). His life was documented in the film Grizzly Man (2005) by Werner Herzog. I recommend the film.
+1 to this.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Not sure about changing life as much as changing my thinking and perception:

More Die of Heartbreak – Saul Bellow

Your Erroneous Zones – Wayne Dyer

Allegory of the Cave - Book VII of the Republic. – Plato

Babbit – Sinclair Lewis

The Death of Ivan Ilyich – Leo Tolstoy

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Steven Covey

Understanding Computers and Cognition: A New Foundation for Design – Fernando Flores

The Theory of the Leisure Class - Thorsten Veblen
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

A Passion For Excellence - Tom Peters
Feeling Good - David Burns
Common Sense On Mutual Funds - John Bogle
Millionaire Next Door - Thomas Stanley
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Conch55 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:54 pm The C Programming Language. I started out my IT career as a C programmer and this book helped me get going. I also give credit to W. Richard Stevens for readable books on network programming.
I am gobsmacked to see you mention Stevens. I was actually thinking the same. That book, particularly chapter six, is almost single handedly responsible for most of my professional success. I owned that book at a time when those kinds of books weren’t easy to find or even known about. It gave me a huge leg up professionally, and allowed me to establish an enduring work place advantage.

I’ll also add “A random walk down wall street” by Malkiel as the one that set me on the path to long term financial success. It got me doing “Bogle like things” long before I found this forum.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Wealthy Barber