Family Summer Vacation Idea

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
karpems

Family Summer Vacation Idea

Post by karpems »

Hi All,

Looking for some suggestions. We are planning a week for a summer vacation. We have 2 kids, age 7 and 1, and want to try to stay away from the beach and other really hot locations(we live in the South and want to try to escape the heat for a week). We are thinking Seattle and Portland or Colorado but was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks!
livesoft

Re: Family Summer Vacation Idea

Post by livesoft »

Start a tradition! Are there cousins, uncles, aunts? What do they do?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
karpems

Post by karpems »

livesoft wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:26 pm Start a tradition! Are there cousins, uncles, aunts? What do they do?
Great idea, we have that planned later in the year. This is just for family time.
fujiters

Post by fujiters »

I hear Mackinac island is nice that time of year. Also good for laid back activities, like playing in the water, given the 1 year old.
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Teton national park? Dry, cool, and gorgeous. Elevation prevents most insects/bugs (you can lay down in the grass and nothing will crawl over you). Not as crowded as Yellowstone, but close enough for a day trip if you are inclined.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Are you more interested in an urban destination (as in, let's visit Denver this year) or relaxing destination (we're renting a house in the mountains, kids)?

For escaping the heat the Appalachian Mountains make a decent family trip that's not too far from the South. We did Deep Creek Lake in western Maryland last year and had a blast.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Traverse City, Michigan! Stay on the beaches on the West or East Bay's. My family prefers the East Bay with great access to Michigan State Park and the Tart Trail. Kids that age will love the day long beach play. Close to Sleeping Bear Dunes, several Light Houses and many wineries for the adults. :beer Good food and shopping downtown TC or other surrounding communities. TC has an airport, but will be very costly. Either fly into Chicago or Detroit, rent a car and drive. Also, as Mackinaw Island is a day trip away should you be interested. You will not be disappointed.
Topic Author
karpems

Post by karpems »

Thanks all! Great suggestions!
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

ScubaHogg wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:55 pm Teton national park? Dry, cool, and gorgeous. Elevation prevents most insects/bugs (you can lay down in the grass and nothing will crawl over you). Not as crowded as Yellowstone, but close enough for a day trip if you are inclined.
This is a great idea. +1
nodak

Post by nodak »

Rapid City/Black Hills area? There are lots of kid friendly and outdoor activities there. If you want to avoid the heat, I would avoid August as it can be miserable there, unless you are on a cave tour. May/June are pleasant though.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

If I were traveling with a toddler, I would prefer a car over a plane.

Since you live in the south, what about the mountains? The 7yo is perfect for Tweetsies in Boone, NC. Or for a Great Wolf Lodge waterpark.

Post by 123 »

If you want a destination that rarely gets warm try San Francisco proper. As long as you remain in the city itself it would be rare for it to ever get warm (over 75 degrees) outside of September and October ("Indian Summer"). If you want hotter weather (100+ in summer) just go pretty much anywhere nearby that is over 10 miles from the city. Homes in the city usually don't even bother with air-conditioning and many older houses don't even have screens on the windows (it's too cold for flying insects for the most part). A downside - few swimming pools in the city itself (and virtually none outdoors) because it's just too cold.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
nodak

Post by nodak »

If I were traveling with a toddler, I would prefer a car over a plane.
I would second that. It's nice to be able to stop and take breaks, run around outside, etc.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Pay attention to elevation; some people who visited us when we lived on the front range/Denver area who got mild cases of altitude sickness even at just 6,000 feet (at higher elevations such as Rocky Mountain National Park, they were not able to sit up, but some folks aren't affected at all). Its bearable, but not sure about how a 7 and 1 year old would deal with it. Dehydration is an issue in Denver and it does get hot in the summer, but much more bearable than the south due to low humidity, but 100F is 100F no matter where you are.

https://www.denver.org/about-denver/den ... tude-tips/
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

YMCA of the Rockies
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

nodak wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:59 pm Rapid City/Black Hills area? There are lots of kid friendly and outdoor activities there. If you want to avoid the heat, I would avoid August as it can be miserable there, unless you are on a cave tour. May/June are pleasant though.
+1 to This. Black Hills are very underrated.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Maui, Hawaii
Deblog

Post by Deblog »

How about Acadia national park? On my list after my son went there and raves about it.
birdy

Post by birdy »

Alaska! The cruise I took had a "kids club". We watched kids having a scavenger hunt ect. with great camp "counselors" who kept them totally entertained!
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

How about Lake George in upstate NY. It has lovely countryside, lakes, mini golf, amusement rides and the weather is delightful in the summer.

www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g48016-Lake ... tions.html
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Watty

Post by Watty »

karpems wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:18 pm .....was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.
With a one year old I would put a high priority on going somewhere that you can get a direct flight to.

There is a lot less chance of missing a connecting flight or having a flight canceled.

Morning flights are also less likely to be delayed by bad weather in some other part of the country.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

karpems wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:18 pm Hi All,
Looking for some suggestions. We are planning a week for a summer vacation. We have 2 kids, age 7 and 1, and want to try to stay away from the beach and other really hot locations(we live in the South and want to try to escape the heat for a week). We are thinking Seattle and Portland or Colorado but was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.
Thanks!
Consider Yosemite national park in California. You can fly into Oakland or San Francisco and rent a car to go to and from Yosemite.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

tennisplyr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:19 am How about Lake George in upstate NY. It has lovely countryside, lakes, mini golf, amusement rides and the weather is delightful in the summer.
www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g48016-Lake ... tions.html
Or, perhaps, the Finger lakes are of NY State.