What's the difference between Uber and Lyft?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LesBleus**

What's the difference between Uber and Lyft?

Post by LesBleus** »

I actually not ordered the car service before and need to book a ride to the airport. I just tried getting a estimate from both sites and noticed that with Lyft you don't get to select what type of car you want. Also how much better is a UberX over Comfort?
jello_nailer

Re: What's the difference between Uber and Lyft?

Post by jello_nailer »

From what i can tell - one has 4 letters and the other 5, Lyft I think is a better scrabble score.
Other than that I don't notice anything that matters. In fact, half of the drivers I have used have both program running.
Topic Author
LesBleus**

Post by LesBleus** »

jello_nailer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37 pm From what i can tell - one has 4 letters and the other 5, Lyft I think is a better scrabble score.
Other than that I don't notice anything that matters. In fact, half of the drivers I have used have both program running.
On the Lyft web site it doesn't give you the option to select the type of cars. I am wrong :confused
oh thx for the scrabble tip.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

I use them both. Sometimes there's a significant difference in price, especially if surge pricing is in effect.
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

Coke vs Pepsi. Clearly, one is superior to the other, but the answer depends on who you ask the question :D
GW208

Post by GW208 »

We've only used both services a few times and couldn't say that there was any difference between them. The drivers all worked for both company's but unanimously said they preferred Lyft because it payed better.
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

My millennial daughters tell me that Uber is immoral, and I should always use Lyft. Since I only need a ride a few times a year, I'm OK with going with what my daughters say without research. Your mileage may vary.
Godot

Post by Godot »

LesBleus** wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 pm
jello_nailer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37 pm From what i can tell - one has 4 letters and the other 5, Lyft I think is a better scrabble score.
On the Lyft web site it doesn't give you the option to select the type of cars. I am wrong :confused
Okay, I'll bite, scrabble player, which one has five letters, Uber, or Lyft?
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

I usually get better cars with Uber but I have Uber VIP status by having Amex Plat card. Uber car age-condition requirements were tougher than Lyft a few years ago when my son in law drove for a while. Don’t know if still true

Otherwise, not much difference.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Many drivers actually work for both services so the only real difference will be the pricing.
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

Main difference is pricing (always found Lyft cheaper in NJ) and Lyft driver keep more of the fare than Uber I have been told.

You should check which offer sign-up discounts - typically they will give you anywhere from 25-50% your first ## of rides.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

I find the word associations with the name "Uber" more offputting, so I go with Lyft.

Uber has gotten more bad PR for bad corporate behavior and policies at the top (particularly by their founding but now departed CEO). The word "Uber" has associations with elitism in my mind.

The word Lyft feels more "uplifting".

Most drivers do drive for both. My strong impression is that they are inadequately paid either way, so I tip very generously.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

LesBleus** wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:21 pm Also how much better is a UberX over Comfort?
Other way around. UberX is the baseline cheap service. You won't get a junky car, and in fact they can be quite decent Comfort just guarantees that you get a driver with a newer, nicer car.

Honestly there's little difference between the two companies though. Pick one and give it a shot. I think you'll enjoy it.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

They're practically the same. A couple years ago I preferred Lyft, as you could tip in the app and was a completely cashless exercise while Uber did not allow that. Uber has since allowed tipping in the app. So now I check both and see which is cheaper. All things being equal I'll choose Lyft just because I've used them more.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

I've never used Uber, but just started using Lyft while on a trip recently because my credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) now gives some Lyft benefits.

Overall I liked it a lot, with one caveat: I ordered "shared rides" for my wife and I --- because that was noticably cheaper sometimes --- and one time we shared a standard sedan with the driver and two other decent sized guys. My wife and I were crammed into the back seat with one of these guys and it was uncomfortable for all concerned. I'd prefer to keep ordering shared rides when the cost difference is big enough, but would like to avoid THAT problem happening again. What I'd really like is for Lyft to not list such a sedan as capable of carrying four adults --- even though the back seat does have seat belts for three people.

The driver suggested that this wasn't out of the ordinary. He also mentioned that eh once brought two couples to the airport and their collected luggage was more than his trunk could fit --- Lyft doesn't ask how much luggage you have when you book a ride to/from an airport. So coming home from the trip I booked a Lyft ride as not-shared just to be safe (from both issues), but it was of course a bit more expensive.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:12 am
LesBleus** wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:21 pm Also how much better is a UberX over Comfort?
Other way around. UberX is the baseline cheap service. You won't get a junky car, and in fact they can be quite decent Comfort just guarantees that you get a driver with a newer, nicer car.

Honestly there's little difference between the two companies though. Pick one and give it a shot. I think you'll enjoy it.
And if you book an UberX and a driver with a Comfort (or higher-end) vehicle accepts the ride, then you get the nicer vehicle at the cheaper UberX price. Happens a lot and so it makes little sense to pay more for Comfort or the other higher-end options, unless you absolutely must have a luxury vehicle for a certain ride.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Moderator input. An off topic post and response was deleted. Let’s stay focused on the personal consumer side.
MythicalSeth

Post by MythicalSeth »

I’ll echo the fact that there is no measurable difference. Have used both and almost every driver I’ve had drives for both. Use whichever app you prefer (also no real difference).
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Used Uber once...the app was useful for seeing who was around to take me to my destination and the cost etc. Super easy to use, I'd have to assume Lyft has a similar app (?) regardless, may want to install it on your phone....esp to get the ride back home after you return from your trip.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Godot wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:25 am
LOL :oops:
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

There is no service difference as many drivers drive for both. Just install both apps and pick on price when you are ready for a ride.

Uber offers a rewards program while Lyft offers ability to earn miles/points on Delta.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

seawolf21 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:56 am There is no service difference as many drivers drive for both. Just install both apps and pick on price when you are ready for a ride.
While that's usually the case, not always. I can remember getting a "none available" using Uber, but Lyft worked in the same location & time. Also, when scheduling an early morning pickup one worked while the other would no allow me to schedule a very early pickup.

During a recent trip I used Lyft's shared ride option 4 times and saved a significant percentage over the normal ride. For 2 of those rides I didn't have to share (I guess there were no other riders going my way).
chevca

Post by chevca »

F150HD wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:45 am
I'm questioning my own math. Am I not seeing a fifth letter somewhere?? Looks like 4 and 4 to me.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Horsefly wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:20 am My millennial daughters tell me that Uber is immoral, and I should always use Lyft. Since I only need a ride a few times a year, I'm OK with going with what my daughters say without research. Your mileage may vary.
Your daughter is correct IMO. Read "Super Pumped" book for well researched details. Draw your own conclusion. Immorality or aggressive disruption?
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

As a former Uber and Lyft driver, I preferred Uber's app. The take rate was a tiny bit better on Lyft but Uber had way more customers so I ended up making more money with Uber.

No drivers like the pool/shared option unless they are trying to hit a bonus for total of number of rides or consecutive ride streak bonus or it is super slow. Customers are never happy when there are more people in the car or the trip takes longer due to the multiple stops. These customers usually never tip.

As a customer, I choose the cheapest option :D but never use the pool/shared option and I always tip.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

chevca wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:30 pm
F150HD wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:45 am
I'm questioning my own math. Am I not seeing a fifth letter somewhere?? Looks like 4 and 4 to me.
Ok, good, it’s not just me.
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

Uber lets you split the fare with another rider. Lyft does not.
You may be able to get some additional discounts with Lyft if you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card.
I've noticed Lyft is a bit cheaper than Uber for the same exact trip (open both apps, enter your destination, then compare prices).
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'd go with Taxi (X is worth 8 points 8-) )...

- Ron
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

michaelingp wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 pm
Horsefly wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:20 am My millennial daughters tell me that Uber is immoral, and I should always use Lyft. Since I only need a ride a few times a year, I'm OK with going with what my daughters say without research. Your mileage may vary.
Your daughter is correct IMO. Read "Super Pumped" book for well researched details. Draw your own conclusion. Immorality or aggressive disruption?
+1.
I also appreciate that Lyft participates in a program to give free rides to interviews, training and the first few weeks of work for people whose income is below a certain threshold.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

LesBleus** wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:21 pm I actually not ordered the car service before and need to book a ride to the airport. I just tried getting a estimate from both sites and noticed that with Lyft you don't get to select what type of car you want. Also how much better is a UberX over Comfort?
I use Uber exclusively and I love their service. Uber drivers are nice and polite and always arrive after a reasonable wait time. Their prices are also very reasonable.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Many drivers drive for both. They'll have the Uber and Lyft apps running and the associated signage. I tend to lean toward Lyft, for no apparent rational reason. Maybe corporate culture (Uber has a bad rap). Who knows.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

The main difference is Uber offers more ride options and is in many more international cities.

Uber: UberX, Comfort, Pool, UberXL, UberCab, Black, Black SUV, Espanol, Select, WAV (wheelchair accessible)
Lyft: Shared, Lyft, XL, Black XL, Lux, Lux Black, Lux Black XL

As others said, many drivers drive for both services.
BSBHead

Post by BSBHead »

Based on my N=1

1. Uber has more drivers in my city, so the wait to get a car seems better. This could be different by city.
2. Lyft charges you for the ride and tip in a single transaction, whereas Uber often separates ride and tip in separate transaction. This makes Uber a bit more of a pain for business when you need to complete an expense report.
3. In my experience, Uber tech seems a bit more accurate when waiting for a car. For Uber, a car 5 min away seems to be 7, but Lyft seems to 7-9 min for a 5 min estimate.
4. In theory, Lyft is not as bad a corporate player as Uber, but who really knows.
5. I typically use Uber for business as getting rides seems to be easier, but use Lyft personally.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

AMEX Platinum card holders get $15/month ($35 in December) credit on Uber rides. It's use them or lose them each month, so first ride I take each month is usually on Uber. After that I look at time of arrival and price to decide which one to use.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I would just get the cheaper one. Whenever I've been in cities with more than one ride-sharing app, I just search for prices on both and then take the cheaper one. Especially if it's just one or two of you, it really shouldn't matter. I've noticed that depending on the city some apps have better coverage than others.

I hope ride-sharing apps are a permanent part of the economy because I plan on never owning a car in my lifetime.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Ron wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:35 pm
I'd go with Taxi (X is worth 8 points 8-) )...

- Ron
UberXL trumps your Taxi. I get the 8 points for X plus additional points for the L. Your turn. :sharebeer
sophie1

Post by sophie1 »

I mostly use Uber over Lyft. Uber's software is WAY more sophisticated. I've had serious problems with Lyft's routing. I've actually gotten out mid-ride to walk the rest of the way, to save myself at least 15 minutes (no, it wasn't because of traffic). And, Uber's colored light code for helping your driver spot you is pure gold. One experience of searching for a specific car on a dark, cold, rainy night with fogged-up glasses should be enough to convince anyone of that.

Also the drivers with Uber seem to be more reliably professional - whether it's because Uber is selective about its drivers, or has policies that are more customer-friendly I have no idea. I know there are drivers who run both apps, but it's just been my experience.

I know about all the news stories about Uber's treatment of employees, but it sounds to me like that's sort of the Silicon Valley M.O. and it's not limited to Uber. And, in a way...I don't care. I'm buying transportation and I'm looking for good service & price, not to make a social statement. Also if I want cheap I either use Via if available, or public transport (cheaper yet).
ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect »

Caduceus wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:52 am I would just get the cheaper one. Whenever I've been in cities with more than one ride-sharing app, I just search for prices on both and then take the cheaper one. Especially if it's just one or two of you, it really shouldn't matter. I've noticed that depending on the city some apps have better coverage than others.

I hope ride-sharing apps are a permanent part of the economy because I plan on never owning a car in my lifetime.
Bingo. Nothing materially different- I always open both apps when I'm ready to go somewhere, and just pick whichever one is cheaper at the moment.

And kudos to you for going car-less. Smart financially, and also environmentally.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

sophie1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:38 pm Also the drivers with Uber seem to be more reliably professional - whether it's because Uber is selective about its drivers, or has policies that are more customer-friendly I have no idea. I know there are drivers who run both apps, but it's just been my experience.
In my experience, 99% of the time it's fine with either, but on average, Lyft drivers are a bit better. The few times I've run into a scam or an extremely unprofessional/rude (in one case drunk) driver, have all been with Uber. And, Uber being "selective about its drivers ..." LOL.

(BTW - Uber's response to the drunk driver incident? A form email about their commitment to safety. Didn't even offer a credit or partial refund.)
Nekrotok

Post by Nekrotok »

Unless you have a Ü in your Scrabble set, I guess that would be Ueber? :D
squirm

Post by squirm »

crystalbank wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:13 am Coke vs Pepsi. Clearly, one is superior to the other, but the answer depends on who you ask the question :D
LOL!! awesome.
btw, we all know Pepsi is the correct answer.
squirm

Post by squirm »

somehow my wife got a bunch of lyft credits and we don't know how. in fact we have never used lyft, have the app installed and thats it. in fact we have only used uber three times, ever.
squirm

Post by squirm »

i thought lyft was known were the passenger sat up front and it was suppose to be a happy joyful chatty ride with the driver. is that no longer the case?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

squirm wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:32 pm i thought lyft was known were the passenger sat up front and it was suppose to be a happy joyful chatty ride with the driver. is that no longer the case?
That's always been optional.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Worth noting that Lyft now gets 5X points per dollar spent on many Chase Ultimate Rewards-earning cards (this is in addition to Sapphire Reserve's Lyft Pink membership).

Using a bit of both can be to your advantage. Besides comparing fares for any given trip, I find that both will give me promos (e.g., 20-25% off next ride or next 5 rides or whatever) if I haven't used it in a while. Competition is good. Not to mention venture capital money which is what's really paying for these, but that's another thread. :wink:
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

I have both installed. I price out both when taking a trip. Usually Lyft is cheaper but Uber has more availability in my experience.

Most of the time I’m trying to grab a ride to the airport at 5am, so it’s basically whichever one I can find a ride on first since.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I have both apps on my phone. Lyft has typically been a better corporate citizen, so all other things being equal, I tend to choose them. But if one is having surge pricing and the other not and there’s a large difference in price, then I would choose the cheaper one.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

Trader Joe wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 pm
LesBleus** wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:21 pm I actually not ordered the car service before and need to book a ride to the airport. I just tried getting a estimate from both sites and noticed that with Lyft you don't get to select what type of car you want. Also how much better is a UberX over Comfort?
I use Uber exclusively and I love their service. Uber drivers are nice and polite and always arrive after a reasonable wait time. Their prices are also very reasonable.
And as you use Uber exclusively, you can’t say that Lyft isn’t all those things as well.
birdy

Post by birdy »

We are taking a cruise next month, and when I went to book my Super Shuttle shared van I discovered they went out of business! I have never used Uber or lift but have heard friends complain about drivers cancelling their pick ups. When you have a flight to catch, I want to make sure someone comes when I need them! I finally decided to park at a hotel and ride their airport shuttle the rest of the way. It was way cheaper than parking in long term parking at the airport. I am very upset that no shared van rides any more.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Both of these services can have individual drivers that cancel trips for a variety of reasons, but there are usually other drivers to fill the void if yours is canceled. Typically you're not left high and dry if one driver cancels.

My approach is to just take whichever is cheaper in the given moment and in my experience I would say they are entirely interchangeable. The exception would be when in NYC (Manhattan), where I would say it's easier to just take a yellow cab, as they are everywhere, typically, cheaper, and usually the drivers are very efficient