Examples of Low Tech Improving Your Life

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
littlebird

Re: Examples of Low Tech Improving Your Life

Post by littlebird »

Sheet of loose-leaf paper and ballpoint pen for producing annual net worth statement. Paper 1040 and schedules and ✏️ to produce annual income tax return. Then an envelope and stamp to dispatch it. Landline attached to an answering machine with a discouraging message to handle unwanted incoming calls. Plastic garbage bag for kitchen wet waste. Over-the-air tv via a leaf antenna. But man, I do ❤️ my kindle.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

tooluser wrote:I hate all of it. I hope to go lawnless someday but need some study and planning time to make it happen in a way I will like the results.
Aside from the area where our dogs play, we are letting a lot of ours go native, essentially a meadow. The birds, bees, snakes, frogs, etc love it. Unfortunately, the ticks love it also. ETA: I haven’t noticed whether the deer, fox, coyotes, turkeys like it more or less than before, but they’re not bothered by it. We will sprinkle some wildflower seed this year.

It wasn’t very well thought out, but we stopped fertilizing and irrigating the area. We do still mow the dogs’ area, and keep the wilder area cut to a reasonable level (eg, near the solar panels).

The previous owner kept the lawn immaculate, at tremendous expense (both financial and environmental).
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Re washing dishes by hand: I think that a modern dishwasher probably uses less hot water, and water generally, than doing dishes by hand. Am I wrong? I do the odd dish and pan by hand, but do large loads with a new Miele dishwasher.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I use a waterproof iPod Shuffle (circa 2010, waterproofing by several companies who inject silicon inside the device) to listen to audiobooks in the shower or while walking laps at the pool. I "read" about 40 audiobooks a year that way.
Gleops2

Post by Gleops2 »

Great Subject !!!!

I agree with almost everything folks have posted so far.....Some make fun of me for not being "Up to Date" but it works for me ( age 63, single,no kids).

I LIKE the peace and quiet and simplicity of the "old". Before I retired, I had an I-phone that rang hundreds of time a day ( supervisor in a Utility -think winter in the Northeast)....and I vowed NO cell phone when I retired. Stuck to it....

I like a paper calendar, a newspaper, and after my dryer died years ago, I started using the clothes line for 8 months outdoors, and the cast iron radiators and drying rack during the winter. You find out real quick how DRY the air is in your home when you air dry things. Plus, I LIKE rough towels and all my clothes are cotton which I like the feel of when NOT dried in the dryer.

I like a small fire of sticks and branches. I like to cook on a fire, in a cast iron pan or, I've found an easy cheap way....I just get charcoals ready in a charcoal chimney, put a 10" grill rack on top of the chimney, the cast iron pan on the rack, and sear my steak in butter and onions. Ahhhh....the primitive smell of roasting meat on an outdoor fire.....NOTHING beats it!!!! Eat outdoors, look around, smell the smoke.....

I enjoy the physical act of reading a newspaper ( Sunday NY Times in particular,) in summer. It's pricey here, but who cares. Nothing beats coffee out on the patio on a summer morning, with a section of the Times or a paper. I live in a rural setting with a large pond down slope behind my home, then endless mountains ..heaven...!

Likewise for hanging laundry on the line, and taking it in. Smells so good....bending to get the wash, hang it, take it down, fold it..... On a blue sky sunny windy day...perfect!!!

Paper calendar, hand wash dishes, landline phone ( cell for emergency only when traveliing, but as of yet I have not driven off a cliff on my weekly trip to the store....), a shopping list on a scrap of paper. Open the windows in summer to get the fresh air in....even if it's hot. (Live in rural forested W. PA so it's never really hot hot but a few days per summer).

I use a lock on my doors. Worked for millions of years. The trick is to LOCK it before bed. Perhaps if people weren't so busy staring at their hands, they could learn to lock thier own doors too!!!!

NO "nav" nonsense in my 10 year old car....and I use a push mower for exercise (powered, lawn is way too large for reel mower)...

A lot of the things I do also include bursts of movement ( energy)...up an down basement stairs to do the laundry, in and out across the yard to hang it and take it in, manually picking up the many sticks and branches after a wind storm and building a brush pile to burn, hand shovelling snow on my longish driveway if it's 4" of less, which is most of the time. SInce I don't go out every day, after it snows I break the driveway into 20 minute blocks and shovel each day til it's done...an exercise I really enjoy!!)

I don't begrudge people who have to be "connected"...I just ask WHY?!?!? What do you DO with the seconds you save for each task?

Gotta make breakfast now....eggs and bacon in a frying pan. Which I will save the drippings for the birds, hand wash the dishes, put them in the drainer, and if they aren't dry in a bit, I'll hand dry them.

I have a HDTV, but it is NOT "smart"..... TV to me is like staring into an overflowing garbage can (most of the time) and I sure don't waste time doing that!!! It's just in my room to lull me to sleep some nights. I don't have a TV in any of my living areas either. (Much to the shock and chagrin of visitors....the fact that I'm still alive with only one teevee totally flummoxes them!!!).

Personally, I think people are so attached to "devices" because they can not stand silence or thier own thoughts, or lack thereof

They are terrified of just living for themselves. The need to compare, compete, outdo...why?????

Being surrounded by non-stop stimulation of screens, screeching Alexa voices(it's not real, people), images to compare oneself to,loud music, endless selections of "media"....I think it's making people crazy.....Even the new craze of adulterating one's face with cartoon images, whiskers, cat noses.....WHY are people so fearful of just being themselves?????

To each his own. Just make mine QUIET and simple.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

How about No-Tech? My friends and family hate the fact that I have the habit of not taking my cellphone with me when I'm out. But I really like the lowered communication expectations that come with it and the general quiet/freedom. I don't like having to respond to phone calls/texts/app messages all the time. I prefer to set aside a time to do it all at once and the rest of my day is more uncluttered.

I'm getting married soon and my partner was the only one who just absolutely hated my non-contactability. But since we've moved in together, he has a better sense of where I am at any given point in time or what I'm doing, so I'm back to my old habits.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

peterinjapan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:51 am I use a waterproof iPod Shuffle (circa 2010, waterproofing by several companies who inject silicon inside the device) to listen to audiobooks in the shower or while walking laps at the pool. I "read" about 40 audiobooks a year that way.
One of the ladies at the gym freaked out when I was sitting in the spa reading email on my iPhone X. Every iPhone since the 8 has been waterproof straight from the factory. I didn’t realize how much that mattered until I had one that was waterproof.

What do you do for headphones?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 am
crystalbank wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:53 pm Maybe 'Yesteryear' Tech is a better term than 'Low Tech' but for a while I've decided to take a step back from many 'high tech' gizmos and gadgets and decided to stick with their low tech alternatives and some of them worked out very well. Here is a list.

1. Safety Razor instead of Cartridges: This is by far the most successful 'low tech' switch. Bought a Safety Razor 8 years ago and along with it some Extra Sharp blades (100 pack) for less than $40 and I haven't gone through them yet. Very clean shave and never have to worry about buying expensive Cartridges.

2. Teflon Non-stick to Cast Iron/Carbon Steel: Every few years the Teflon coating would peel off and we had to go buy a new set. Decided to get cast iron pans and some stainless steel pots. Sure, they require slightly more maintenance but they're much more durable and practically last forever.

3. No 'Internet of Things'/Smart Home stuff: No smart thermostat, No smart speakers, No smart garage openers and even No smart TV (although impossible to find a TV without 'smart' features now). No apps to sign up, no software updates and no worry about the manufacturer stopping support.

So I'm curious - what other examples of 'low tech' might actually be improve your life contrary to popular opinion?
Interesting.
1. I never tried safety razor. I will have to check it out as some point.

2. Teflon in my opinion is health hazard. I tried cast iron but it feels too heavy and too cumbersome to use. Since then I use steal which is both safer than teflon and easier to clean than cast iron.

3. Initially just like you I was vehemently opposed to any IoT. But I did some research and I actually converted all of my lights to Philips Hue (smart lights), got smart blinds, motion detectors and HomePod. The set up is completely automated including background app updates. Works without any glitches. I have automated lights that turn on in the bathroom and home entrance and turn off by themselves based on motion activity. I have automated blinds that go up 45 minutes before sun rise and go down 15 minutes after sunset. I have set up my lights so that they all turn on for 15 minutes when I come home and then turn off in the non essential rooms after that time has passed. I can also regulate the brightness during the evening, morning and afternoon in the living room so that during night time the lights are not blinding my eyes. The HomePod was an icing on a cake with voice control. In addition I found being able to ask current weather while getting ready for work to be quite useful.
You realize if you drop dead or fall and can't get up, it will take forever for the neighbors to realize something is wrong, because the house will still be doing its thing.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:25 am Re washing dishes by hand: I think that a modern dishwasher probably uses less hot water, and water generally, than doing dishes by hand. Am I wrong? I do the odd dish and pan by hand, but do large loads with a new Miele dishwasher.
"Hand washing used 5 times as much water as an efficient dishwasher, and 3.5 times more water as an average dishwasher"
https://www.reviewed.com/dishwashers/fe ... our-dishes
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Caduceus wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09 am How about No-Tech? My friends and family hate the fact that I have the habit of not taking my cellphone with me when I'm out. But I really like the lowered communication expectations that come with it and the general quiet/freedom. I don't like having to respond to phone calls/texts/app messages all the time. I prefer to set aside a time to do it all at once and the rest of my day is more uncluttered.

I'm getting married soon and my partner was the only one who just absolutely hated my non-contactability. But since we've moved in together, he has a better sense of where I am at any given point in time or what I'm doing, so I'm back to my old habits.
I pretty much only take my phone with me to work, and even then 95% of its use is as a music/podcast streaming device for my workouts. People just know that I won't have it on me.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

fru-gal wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:53 am You realize if you drop dead or fall and can't get up, it will take forever for the neighbors to realize something is wrong, because the house will still be doing its thing.
Reminds me of the short story by Ray Bradbury, "There Will Come Soft Rains" where everyone is dead and the automated house just keeps going about it's business.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Turbo29 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:58 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:25 am Re washing dishes by hand: I think that a modern dishwasher probably uses less hot water, and water generally, than doing dishes by hand. Am I wrong? I do the odd dish and pan by hand, but do large loads with a new Miele dishwasher.
"Hand washing used 5 times as much water as an efficient dishwasher, and 3.5 times more water as an average dishwasher"
Thanks. I should have googled that myself, but the vindication feels better this way 😁. Since our home is on well water and septic, it’s not a purely academic concern. Thankfully, so far our wells are keeping up.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

crystalbank wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:53 pm
So I'm curious - what other examples of 'low tech' might actually be improve your life contrary to popular opinion?
1) Car: my car has an engine that runs well. No bells and whistles.

2) House: no high tech. It’s very easy to DIY to fix stuff when things go wrong.

3) Learning: still very old school way of learning: reading books, follow up and cross check research and data, replicate studies with different variables etc. It helps me not to take a random online article as an absolute fact.

4) no tech during meals. It helps us to be present when having meals and be aware of the food and how much food we eat.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:01 pm
Thanks. I should have googled that myself, but the vindication feels better this way 😁. Since our home is on well water and septic, it’s not a purely academic concern. Thankfully, so far our wells are keeping up.
It absolutely depends on how much dishes are being done. The (IMO great) side effect of us not having a functioning dishwasher for the last few months is that the wife and kids are becoming cognizant of the dishes being used; in general, it is a single bowl and fork/spoon being used by each individual per day. This is how I lived for years, as I only owned a single bowl/fork/spoon/cup (and I loved the simplicity) when I was on my own. The amount of water being used is very minimal. Now you go to my mom's house, where every meal results in a full dishwasher, and certainly a dishwasher is more efficient.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

peterinjapan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:51 am I use a waterproof iPod Shuffle (circa 2010, waterproofing by several companies who inject silicon inside the device) to listen to audiobooks in the shower or while walking laps at the pool. I "read" about 40 audiobooks a year that way.
May I ask how do you download audiobooks into the shuffle?
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:14 pm
It absolutely depends on how much dishes are being done. The (IMO great) side effect of us not having a functioning dishwasher for the last few months is that the wife and kids are becoming cognizant of the dishes being used; in general, it is a single bowl and fork/spoon being used by each individual per day. This is how I lived for years, as I only owned a single bowl/fork/spoon/cup (and I loved the simplicity) when I was on my own. The amount of water being used is very minimal. Now you go to my mom's house, where every meal results in a full dishwasher, and certainly a dishwasher is more efficient.
It also depends on how you pack the dishwasher with dishes. Unfortunately I am the only one in my family to know how to pack as many dishes as possible while dishes come out clean. My knowledge of fluid dynamics pays off. :happy
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

No Formal knowledge of fluid dynamics, but I’m the only one who packs the dishwasher to my satisfaction.
brandy

Post by brandy »

Interesting.
[/quote] You realize if you drop dead or fall and can't get up, it will take forever for the neighbors to realize something is wrong, because the house will still be doing its thing. [/quote]

Until the electric company stops service because of non payment of bill. How long might that be? After two missed payments? Three?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

brandy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:03 pm Interesting.
You realize if you drop dead or fall and can't get up, it will take forever for the neighbors to realize something is wrong, because the house will still be doing its thing.
Until the electric company stops service because of non payment of bill. How long might that be? After two missed payments? Three?
Between auto-pay and direct deposit, it would be many months or years before anyone would notice :D
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

What do you Safety Razor folks use for shaving cream? I use cheap throwaway razors from Walmart, but for lather, there's nothing like a cake of shaving soap in a little bowl with a Badger hair shaving brush and some hot water. And don't forget the stand for the brush for drying.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:06 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:14 pm
It also depends on how you pack the dishwasher with dishes. Unfortunately I am the only one in my family to know how to pack as many dishes as possible while dishes come out clean. My knowledge of fluid dynamics pays off. :happy
March 2020 issue of Consumer Reports says Handwashing costs almost 4X as much as the new dishwashers over 12 years. $1795 vs 463 - that includes water and electricity but not the cost of the DW itself. Amount of water used is the big difference. Stats from Energy Star.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

In general, I'm a fan of technology - but I'm usually about 5-10 years behind, which is fine because that allows most of the bugs to be worked out by the time I hop on the bandwagon. So, for instance, I finally moved from a flip phone to a smartphone about two years ago. Really like it. I also enjoy using the internet, and I love my little robot vacuum.

However, I did experiment last summer with using room fans instead of air conditioning with considerable success. I purchased two Vornado fans from Costco - one for the bedroom and one for the living room - and found that I was able to do without air conditioning at night. For quite a few days during the summer, I was able to get by without using the air conditioner during the day as well. Even on the hottest days, I found that I only needed to turn on the air conditioner for 15 to 30 minutes in the late afternoon to cool things off. So my energy consumption (and my electric bill) went way down, all while I felt very comfortable. 8-)
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

BionicBillWalsh wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:07 pm Whatever you do, don't get a Reel Mower.

I had one for a few years and it was the most God Awful experience ever.

If you're ever training for an Ironman Triathlon, get a Reel Mower. Otherwise, use modern technology instead.
+1000 Reel Mower = True Suffering

I used one for four years on about 1/4 acre of lawn. The best was went an unnoticed stick get caught in the reels.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

:)
pshonore wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:38 pm March 2020 issue of Consumer Reports says Handwashing costs almost 4X as much as the new dishwashers over 12 years. $1795 vs 463 - that includes water and electricity but not the cost of the DW itself. Amount of water used is the big difference. Stats from Energy Star.
I assume it also depends on how you wash dishes by hand. Many people keep hot water running all the time while at the sink. When I wash dishes, I do the way Boy Scouts do using minimal amount of water. You don't go by one dish at a time. If you divide dish washing into separate tasks for all the dirty dishes such as scraping, quick pre-washing, soap followed by rinsing, you have to run water only when needed. Double bowl kitchen sinks also help. Batch processing.:wink:
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

A rake instead of a leaf blower - you get more exercise and the neighbors have nothing to complain about
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

The problem isn't high tech, it's the way high tech is allowed to take over our lives.
For example, using the internet for social media rather than research. Using cell phones for messaging rather than calling. Buying fancy workout equipment rather than just running, walking, lifting weights and doing chores. Allowing the education system to go on-line rather than teaching. Using the TV and screens as baby sitters. Generally, enabling loss of privacy and other individual rights.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

beehivehave wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:07 pm The problem isn't high tech, it's the way high tech is allowed to take over our lives.
For example, using the internet for social media rather than research. Using cell phones for messaging rather than calling. Buying fancy workout equipment rather than just running, walking, lifting weights and doing chores. Allowing the education system to go on-line rather than teaching. Using the TV and screens as baby sitters. Generally, enabling loss of privacy and other individual rights.
+1

I use the tech that improves my life and choose not to use the rest.

I am annoyed when others use the tech I don't use or use it in a different fashion :twisted:
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

PinotGris wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:51 pm
May I ask how do you download audiobooks into the shuffle?
It appears to have a USB port. When I connect my Nook to my laptop via USB, it looks like a disk and I can just drag and drop.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:06 pm It also depends on how you pack the dishwasher with dishes. Unfortunately I am the only one in my family to know how to pack as many dishes as possible while dishes come out clean. My knowledge of fluid dynamics pays off. :happy
Enlighten us please.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:19 pm :)
pshonore wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:38 pm March 2020 issue of Consumer Reports says Handwashing costs almost 4X as much as the new dishwashers over 12 years. $1795 vs 463 - that includes water and electricity but not the cost of the DW itself. Amount of water used is the big difference. Stats from Energy Star.
I assume it also depends on how you wash dishes by hand. Many people keep hot water running all the time while at the sink. When I wash dishes, I do the way Boy Scouts do using minimal amount of water. You don't go by one dish at a time. If you divide dish washing into separate tasks for all the dirty dishes such as scraping, quick pre-washing, soap followed by rinsing, you have to run water only when needed. Double bowl kitchen sinks also help. Batch processing.:wink:
This is me. I challenge any dishwasher would use less water and do as efficient as I do.

Plus, dishwasher takes 30-60 mins if not more. I only use dishwasher when we have a big group party. My time can be spent cleaning up pots and stove.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:02 pm
livesoft wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:01 pm Continue to use ice trays and save electricity costs. Icemakers have to heat their "trays" in order to loosen the ice before pushing cubes out into the ice bin.
We took the ice maker out of freezer. We have trays, but they are used only when we have guests over.
Glad to see I’m not the only one to ever do that. I used my Sears extended warranty service to have the icemaker and ice water maker removed, the day after installation of the fridge.I needed the freezer space much more than I need ice. I bought 2 covered ice cube trays, and every 24 months I empty them (with the covers, there’s no sublimation) and re-fill with clean water. Once or twice, a guest has asked for ice- cubes. The fridge is now 10 years old and has never needed service. And I’ve enjoyed the use of 1 more shelf and a large pocket in the door where I store ice packs for travel and burns.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

brandy wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:30 pm I don’t even have a sundial: I use my body to tell time. My stomach growls, it’s time to eat. My eyes close and my head nods, it’s time to sleep!
I use a clay tablet to access the internet. It can be slow at times, so I turn off all images.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

crystalbank wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:53 pm Maybe 'Yesteryear' Tech is a better term than 'Low Tech' but for a while I've decided to take a step back from many 'high tech' gizmos and gadgets and decided to stick with their low tech alternatives and some of them worked out very well. Here is a list.
Didn't read all the posts but I hope someone has pointed out the irony of posting this on an internet forum instead of the bulletin board at the library.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

pshonore wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 pm What do you Safety Razor folks use for shaving cream? I use cheap throwaway razors from Walmart, but for lather, there's nothing like a cake of shaving soap in a little bowl with a Badger hair shaving brush and some hot water. And don't forget the stand for the brush for drying.
I use shaving gel that I squirt out of a metal can. I’d like to follow your example and get the brush and soap cake, but you see I’ve got all this shaving gel to use up first.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Hockey10 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:49 pm A rake instead of a leaf blower - you get more exercise and the neighbors have nothing to complain about
I use a leaf blower now as it cuts my time in half. I feel guilty burning gasoline but I’ve got two properties to do. Neighbors won’t complain because they’re at work when I do it.
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

TravelforFun wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm I'm still using my iPhone 6S.

TravelforFun
I’m still using an iPhone 5s, 16gb, battery life still ok
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

pshonore wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 pm What do you Safety Razor folks use for shaving cream? I use cheap throwaway razors from Walmart, but for lather, there's nothing like a cake of shaving soap in a little bowl with a Badger hair shaving brush and some hot water. And don't forget the stand for the brush for drying.
My barber likes the lather produced by a half bar of Ivory soap in a shaving mug, before using a straight razor to shave back of my neck for a neat haircut.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Topic Author
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

Proraso. Old Taylor of Bond St is also not bad.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

BionicBillWalsh wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:07 pm Whatever you do, don't get a Reel Mower.

I had one for a few years and it was the most God Awful experience ever.

If you're ever training for an Ironman Triathlon, get a Reel Mower. Otherwise, use modern technology instead.
My parents had a reel mower. Told anyone who would listen what a great thing it was. Then when all of their children grew up, moved out of the house, and were no longer available for mowing duties, my parents promptly sold it and hired a lawn service.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:26 pm
Didn't read all the posts but I hope someone has pointed out the irony of posting this on an internet forum instead of the bulletin board at the library.
I would argue that this forum is yesteryear/low-tech - and it's actually a great example of what the OP is referring to.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:30 pm
Hockey10 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:49 pm A rake instead of a leaf blower - you get more exercise and the neighbors have nothing to complain about
I use a leaf blower now as it cuts my time in half. I feel guilty burning gasoline but I’ve got two properties to do. Neighbors won’t complain because they’re at work when I do it.
Not only the noise and fumes, it it turns out leaf blowers wreck insect habitat:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50431827

It's not clear to me why leaf blowers are necessary. I don't let the lawn guys use them on my property and instead what the mulching mower doesn't get I either leave or just do some periodic raking to get stuff into the compost pile. When I had a larger yard, I raked the leaves into a wooded area and spread them there.
InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek »

I've wanted to learn how to do this the proper way for a while. There are some YouTube videos with different methods but none seemed compelling. One of my issues is if I have more dishes than will fit in the sink, the batch processing just breaks down. Are there any authoritative sources you know of?
Last edited by InvestingGeek on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Silence Dogood wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:07 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:26 pm
I would argue that this forum is yesteryear/low-tech - and it's actually a great example of what the OP is referring to.
I'm accessing the forum on a '95 Dell PII via dial-up modem. I guess I could pay more for something newer that does the same thing.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Exactly. We have very low utility costs as it is (~$800/yr for gas and electricity, water is part of HOA) and there has been a decrease in our normal costs since we stopped using dishwasher. It's not difficult to figure out how to minimize the use of hot water when doing them by hand. I'll fix it as soon as the wife tells me to, which doesn't seem to be a concern at the moment.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

fru-gal wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:07 am
Nicolas wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:30 pm
Not only the noise and fumes, it it turns out leaf blowers wreck insect habitat:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50431827

It's not clear to me why leaf blowers are necessary. I don't let the lawn guys use them on my property and instead what the mulching mower doesn't get I either leave or just do some periodic raking to get stuff into the compost pile. When I had a larger yard, I raked the leaves into a wooded area and spread them there.
Thanks for the link, I don’t like to kill things. I wasn’t aware of the damage to the insect population and I am concerned about insects. Maybe I’ll quit using my leaf blower then to blow leaves. I’m retired now so I have lots of time. I compost my leaves in a woods on both properties. I still need it to power my gutter cleaner but that air goes only into my gutters on the roof.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

sixty40 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm

TravelforFun
+1000 LOL - I'm still using the 5s too......my kids just shake their head...…..
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

Brewman wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:59 am
sixty40 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm

TravelforFun
+1000 LOL - I'm still using the 5s too......my kids just shake their head...…..
LOL, yeah when I pull my phone out at meetings or when people see it, the look on their face is "what is that?" But it still works fine. Honestly I am looking to upgrade to a used iphone-8, maybe from Swappa or Amazon.
TomCat96

Post by TomCat96 »

Bringing a Thermos of hot water with me every day to work.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Books. Actual books.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

My 1972 BMW 2002tii. As low tech as they come. Mechanical fuel injection and of course a manual shift, but no power steering, power windows, power seats, power mirrors, cruise control, back up camera, infotainment screen, or SAT NAV. Come to think of it; not a lot of power from under the hood either!! But fun, fun, fun!! :D