Examples of Low Tech Improving Your Life

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
crystalbank

Examples of Low Tech Improving Your Life

Post by crystalbank » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:53 pm

Maybe 'Yesteryear' Tech is a better term than 'Low Tech' but for a while I've decided to take a step back from many 'high tech' gizmos and gadgets and decided to stick with their low tech alternatives and some of them worked out very well. Here is a list.

1. Safety Razor instead of Cartridges: This is by far the most successful 'low tech' switch. Bought a Safety Razor 8 years ago and along with it some Extra Sharp blades (100 pack) for less than $40 and I haven't gone through them yet. Very clean shave and never have to worry about buying expensive Cartridges.

2. Teflon Non-stick to Cast Iron/Carbon Steel: Every few years the Teflon coating would peel off and we had to go buy a new set. Decided to get cast iron pans and some stainless steel pots. Sure, they require slightly more maintenance but they're much more durable and practically last forever.

3. No 'Internet of Things'/Smart Home stuff: No smart thermostat, No smart speakers, No smart garage openers and even No smart TV (although impossible to find a TV without 'smart' features now). No apps to sign up, no software updates and no worry about the manufacturer stopping support.

Edit: No.3 on the list is probably not exactly on point, but leaving it here. A few more examples I forgot to add are below.

4. Simple Notepad for taking notes. I used Evernote and later tried out a few things, but a piece of paper and a pen worked the best. Writing with a Uni-ball Jetstream is great, I am much more productive and don't have to worry about syncing between multiple devices.

5. Newspaper delivered to my home. Only checkout the news once in the morning and reading a physical paper is great. Having a news app on the phone I was checking it far too frequently and was bombarded with constant notifications.

So I'm curious - what other examples of 'low tech' might actually be improve your life contrary to popular opinion?
Last edited by crystalbank on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AnonLady

Re: Examples of Low Tech Improving Your Life

Post by AnonLady » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:59 pm

Cast iron is awesome, although stainless is also pretty tough. Cast iron will last longer than your body will. The best cast iron skillets are from the early 1900's, but they are hard to find. If you can get one from your grandparents you are lucky!

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Whatever you do, don't get a Reel Mower.

I had one for a few years and it was the most God Awful experience ever.

If you're ever training for an Ironman Triathlon, get a Reel Mower. Otherwise, use modern technology instead.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.

Speckles

Post by Speckles » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:09 pm

The dust mop. Bought mine in the 1970’s. It’s outlasted many vacuums, doesn’t require electricity and no noisy motor.
It goes with my clothesline that I use instead of a drier. Same attraction. Quiet, no use of fossil fuels and the clothes smell fresh.

+1 for cast iron cookware.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:10 pm

Sleeping in a tent or simply outside under the stars.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:11 pm

I'm a big fan of low tech.

- Agree with the lack of smart devices inside my house. I have a regular dumb thermostat that I manually adjust. In other climates, having a Nest might help with energy savings, but for us it's borderline useless. I will never own anything like an Echo. Too paranoid.

- Paper wall calendar. It's big, has all my important dates on it, I can't accidentally erase it, and it's right by the front door so I see it multiple times a day. I still have a calendar app on my phone but prefer the paper.

- Sticky notes. The ultimate in flexibility.

- Paper books instead of Kindle. Just personal preference. A book is self contained and I can re-sell it at our local used bookstore once I'm done with it. I don't ever read more than one book at a time and only own a handful of permanent books, so this works out well.

- No iPad, Apple Watch, or other superfluous devices. All the computing I need can be done with either my phone or laptop. I used to own more devices back in the day, but it was more nuisance than benefit (especially while traveling and having to charge all these things) so I sold all the other stuff and it's been great.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 pm

No microwave at our house because we like the stove better.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:19 pm

Many woodworking hand tools are cheaper and easier than power tools so long as you aren't batching out multiple copies of the same job.

My wood stove provides much better quality of heat than my furnace. As an engineer that sounds absurd but ask anyone with a wood stove, they'll say the same thing.

I'll keep my automatic wifi irrigation system for the veggie garden that throttles itself based on the weather. But i never activated the feature which lets me control it from my phone. It does just fine by iteself and now I just have to tap a screen near the back door to get the weather forecast. I'll also keep my roku.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:19 pm

BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:07 pm

If you're ever training for an Ironman Triathlon, get a Reel Mower. Otherwise, use modern technology instead.
I LOVE my Reel mower! My husband bet me a hundred bucks I would never use it when I bought it, but he lost that bet. You must have a lemon or an old one if it’s hard to push.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:40 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:19 pm
BionicBillWalsh wrote:

I LOVE my Reel mower! My husband bet me a hundred bucks I would never use it when I bought it, but he lost that bet. You must have a lemon or an old one if it’s hard to push.
Or a bigger or more sloped yard :mrgreen: .

I have thought about one, for the quiet, in the months I don't need to bag. I would still bag fall leaves or that initial burst of spring weeds if I get the first weed and feed timing wrong)).
My concerns are blade sharpening, which seems more critical/complicated, and how finely chopped the output is vs my mulching mower.
Last edited by rj342 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:42 pm

I had some pipes freeze because a battery died on a programmable thermostat. I'm replacing them with bimetal thermostats so that they "just work."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:44 pm

surfstar wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:10 pm
Sleeping in a tent or simply outside under the stars.
But the tent is made of Dyneema Composite Fabric (DCF), the sleeping quilt is goose down that is treated to water resistant, the sleeping pad is ultralight high tech, the tent poles are carbon fiber, and the tent stakes are titanium (or carbon fiber). :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:44 pm

crystalbank wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:53 pm
Maybe 'Yesteryear' Tech is a better term than 'Low Tech' but for a while I've decided to take a step back from many 'high tech' gizmos and gadgets and decided to stick with their low tech alternatives and some of them worked out very well. Here is a list.

1. Safety Razor instead of Cartridges: This is by far the most successful 'low tech' switch. Bought a Safety Razor 8 years ago and along with it some Extra Sharp blades (100 pack) for less than $40 and I haven't gone through them yet. Very clean shave and never have to worry about buying expensive Cartridges.

2. Teflon Non-stick to Cast Iron/Carbon Steel: Every few years the Teflon coating would peel off and we had to go buy a new set. Decided to get cast iron pans and some stainless steel pots. Sure, they require slightly more maintenance but they're much more durable and practically last forever.

3. No 'Internet of Things'/Smart Home stuff: No smart thermostat, No smart speakers, No smart garage openers and even No smart TV (although impossible to find a TV without 'smart' features now). No apps to sign up, no software updates and no worry about the manufacturer stopping support.

So I'm curious - what other examples of 'low tech' might actually be improve your life contrary to popular opinion?
Well, I used a rubber band today instead of other, more modern items.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:52 pm

Vintage fountain pens 1940-1958 for snail mail and corresponding and journaling.
1950 Hermes Portable manual typewriter. For corresponding.
No "Alexa" or similar things in our house. (too confusing for old brains)
No Facebook or similar social media.
No computer in my John Deere tractor that I know of.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:09 pm

rj342 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:40 pm
GoldenFinch wrote:
BionicBillWalsh wrote:

I have thought about one, for the quiet, in the months I don't need to bag. I would still bag fall leaves or that initial burst of spring weeds if I get the first weed and feed timing wrong)).
My concerns are blade sharpening, which seems more critical/complicated, and how finely chopped the output is vs my mulching mower.
I tried a reel mower back many years ago .... I had a small level yard at the time. I really wanted to make this work.

The thing wouldn't cut worth a darn.

I now use a gasoline mower, not self-propelled. That's sort of mid-tech I guess ....

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:24 pm

French Press for coffee.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:28 pm

For 20 years I've used a drying rack instead of a gas or electric clothes dryer. One less thing to break.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:30 pm

AnonLady wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:59 pm
Cast iron is awesome, although stainless is also pretty tough. Cast iron will last longer than your body will. The best cast iron skillets are from the early 1900's, but they are hard to find. If you can get one from your grandparents you are lucky!
I want to move to cast iron!!! I've heard great things and it has a lot of history.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:36 pm

crystalbank wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:53 pm

+1 on this I got into the Mach 5s and love them, however the cost was prohibitive and that is where dollar shave etc came from... But I wizened up prior to all that and bought a safety razor and a 100 pack on Amazon for similar.. around $35 I recall... I still have half of the pack of razors left.. and that was 5 ish years ago I made that purchase.

I have actually looked into sharpening techniques with a leather strap... another very early tech method that has worked for many decades... there is a reason why barbers of yesteryear used to use them.. simply they worked!!

fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:44 pm

About ten years ago I was a pretty serious marathon runner. Every day I wore a Garmin watch so I could track my speed during my runs. One day I decided to stop wearing it and learned to run by feel. My pace slowed, my mileage went up, my weight dropped, and my performances improved dramatically.

Most East African runners don't own Garmins and they seem to do OK.
Stocks 28 / Gold 23 / Long-term US treasuries 19 / Cash 22 / TIPS 8

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:44 pm

A Day-Timer for to-do lists, appointments, etc.
Friar1610

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:45 pm

I'm struggling to think of examples.

I do like to play with fountain pens, but my favorites are the Pilot Vanishing points, which is definitely not old-school traditional.

I read a lot of old books that were either hand written or written on typewriters, but I do that on my Kindle.

I still use HDTVs instead of 4K or 8K TVs. We use a DVR for a lot of our TV viewing instead of streaming everything.

My car is 14 years old, but it does have some relatively modern features like adaptive cruise control. My play car is relatively new, but it is old school in a lot of ways (manual transmission, no ABS, no power anything).

I still use a DSLR for a lot of my photography rather than the camera on my phone.

We play a lot of board/card games. We also play computer games from Good Old Games.

We cook using natural gas instead of using an induction cooktop.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:58 pm

Am/fm battery powered radios. Can take it anywhere and get news and music.
Wall calendar - pretty and in your face at home.
Maps - I need a good world map.

One of my biggest ios iPad app disappointments is from National geographic. They had a fabulous world map app which was very detailed. The maps on their server went away. I miss it.

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:01 pm

Low-tech:

I got a cast-iron skillet a year ago and I love it. Our old nonstick skillets are now just for unusually complex meals that need more than one. This doesn't happen often.

We've always had manual thermostats, one each upstairs and down, mostly off. We have a very well-insulated house in SoCal, and we're home most of the time, so it's no trouble to flick a switch.

Wall calendar. I've never been able to deal with e-calendars. Husband has occasionally been known to consult the wall calendar instead of asking me what's coming up tomorrow.

Higher-tech:

I mostly read on my iPad. The LA County Library has a huge collection of downloads. The pleasure of acquiring a new book for free at 2AM never gets old.

We've got Alexa on both floors. Husband tends to ignore the landline and lets his iPhone 4 run down. If I'm out, I can call him on Alexa. He said my voice comes through loud and deep and sounds like the voice of God summoning him. If I were plotting revolution, I'd get rid of them, of course. (The Alexas, not the husband.)

We've got a smart TV, because I don't think it's possible to buy a non-smart TV any more.

YNAB for budgeting. Can't live without it, especially for keeping track of zero-interest credit cards. If someone wants to lend me money interest-free for 12-21 months, it would be rude to refuse. The payoff money sits in a money market account, earning a few dollars, and YNAB makes sure I never miss the deadline.

PlanToEat for recipe collection, meal planning, and shopping. It's great to be able to pop into the grocery store on impulse and have the grocery list right there. If I haven't made a grocery list, I can check my chili recipe to make sure I haven't forgotten an ingredient.

celia

Post by celia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:06 pm

I often grow some of our fruits and vegetables from "heirloom" seeds. No GMO (genetically-modified) or lab-started, blah-tasting food, when I can help it.

My favorite "low-tech" invention from several years ago is the bottle for liquid detergent for clothes laundering, where the cap of the bottle is designed for any excess liquid to be poured back into the bottle easily. After I pour the liquid in the cap, if I want to put some of it back, the bottom edge of the cap automatically goes inside the bottle and just screws back on with the liquid going into a groove, back into the bottle. Don't know why that wasn't invented earlier!
http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00 ... e-Caps.jpg

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm

I'm still using my iPhone 6S.

TravelforFun

dewey

Post by dewey » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 pm

+1 for the cast iron and carbon steel cookware. We switched away from teflon a few years ago out of health concerns. When treated properly a cast iron or carbon steel pan will function like non-stick. Lodge brand pans are made in the U.S. and considered affordable workhorses of cast iron cooking. I own several. But some other modern pans that are lighter weight and have some design feature upgrades include Stargazer and Field pans. Both made in the U.S. and are more recent additions to the many brands available. I have one of each and they're excellent. The carbon steel pans are more like pans used in restaurant kitchens. Thinner than regular cast iron and much lighter weight. Faster heating. But great pans. I have two of these as well.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

inittowinit

Post by inittowinit » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:52 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm
I'm still using my iPhone 6S.
+1

New software updates make it seem like a brand new phone! And I've learned lots of ways to reduce battery drain by turning off unnecessary features I couldn't care less about. I will admit I've been battling the update bug recently as I've been reading about the potential release of a revised budget "iPhone SE2" sometime this year...

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:02 pm

If you want a non-smart TV, just don’t connect your smart TV to the WiFi. Instant dumb TV. Also much more secure from hacking.

Otherwise, I’m having trouble finding examples. I’m lower tech than most of my friends, but it’s because of electronics that I don’t own, not because I’ve embraced some older technology.

I do play a lot of chess. So there’s that. But mostly I play online.

I have a 15 year old car without all the doodads, but it’s because I’m not into cars, not because it improves my life. If it ever breaks down, I’ll get a brand new one with all the new car tech on it.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
BionicBillWalsh wrote:

I had a reel mower but hired a gardener after a couple of years because the kind of grass I have builds up into a thick mat over time, and eventually I could not push the mower with even an unreasonable amount of force. The gardener takes the mat down to bare earth once a year, and it's amazing how fast it reestablishes itself.

In the 1940s my grandfather attached a gas motor his reel mower and was very happy with the results!

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:23 pm

I could probably think of more but at first thought:

100% wool clothing including sweaters, hats, headbands, outdoors pants and ragg wool gloves & mittens (hard to find now as they tend to be 85 wool/15 nylon which make my hands sweat)

Blank 3x5 notecards - write all kinds of notes to myself

Paper maps of all kinds

As others mentioned paper wall & desk calendars

Mechanical watches (Besides normal usage - In the car I often set one to 12:00 at start of trip and note time at arrival for future reference)

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:26 pm

Still have the Honeywell mercury bulb thermostat that came with the house, so has worked for >60yrs. Mercury has to be somewhere, so it might as well remain on my wall.

My Smith Corona portable (HS graduation present) is perfect to address sticky mailing labels.

My '90 Montero RS (stick shift, original clutch) still does everything it did when new. But I'm getting to the point were it would be nice to have an automatic transmission. Adaptive cruse control would also be nice.

My Griswold 704K cast iron skillet (thrift store find) makes a great ham and cheese omelet.

My mid-century modern Astra Toastmaster toaster (thrift store find) makes toast easier than skillet frying.

Now searching thrift stores for a German chef's knife, to add to my '70s 4pc Case kitchen knife set.

Panasonic Easa-Phone answering machine from '80s. I keep it for its "busy buster" feature---will redial a busy number 1/min for 10-minutes.

My new flat-screen TV is OTA, but my VCR died. While I like a lot of old stuff, I don't want another VCR. I'd like to find an OTA-only DVR with a nice electronic TV guide. I want to replicate the TV guide/DVR experience enjoyed by cable uses, without the need for an internet connection.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:36 pm

I have only a cell phone for work and only carry it when working. At home I have one of those old AT&T phones, but the kind with the buttons, not the rotary dial.

I do have a relatively new car, from 2001.

Nekrotok

Post by Nekrotok » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 pm

tooluser wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 pm
GoldenFinch wrote:
BionicBillWalsh wrote:

I had a reel mower but hired a gardener after a couple of years because the kind of grass I have builds up into a thick mat over time, and eventually I could not push the mower with even an unreasonable amount of force. The gardener takes the mat down to bare earth once a year, and it's amazing how fast it reestablishes itself.

In the 1940s my grandfather attached a gas motor his reel mower and was very happy with the results!
What kind of grass are you guys using the reel mower on? I tried it on fescue, and a lot of the floppy blades of grass would just like down flat on the ground and wouldn't get cut. I wonder if it's better on zoysia or Bermuda..

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 pm

+1 on cast iron.

I find that I like steak cooked with cast iron a lot better than BBQ steaks.

Grilled cheese sandwiches cooked on cast iron are also a lot different and better.

Not exactly low tech but there is still some old high tech that we use.

1) My wife still uses MP3 players and CD players for audible books from the library. They are both hard to find now especially the MP3 players which have a battery that you can actually switch. She can play the MP3s on her cell phone but

2) A standalone GPS in the car instead of using my cell phone. They seem to get more reliable reception and are louder.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:30 pm

I threw away the Roomba and just hired a weekly cleaning service. Much better results.

I use a regular wrist watch instead of an iwatch. It does have solar panels and it automatically sets the time from GPS satellites, but the technology itself is 40 years old.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:31 pm

For colds or stuffy nose, there are two old school remedies: rinse with sterile water and salt, and/or boiled water with menthol cough drops thrown in. Once the drops are melted, turn off the heat and throw a towel over the pot and use the steam. I alternate these. Neither of these techniques are tough are your liver or have side effects like medications. Oh and I have an old time wrist watch. It's georgeous.

JakeyLee

Post by JakeyLee » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 pm

Small pad of paper. I'm not sure what it's technically called. It's light yellow...with lines. Not spriral. Held at the top with glue (?). Like a 1/3 the size of 8x11. Anyway, after years of thinking I can jot important notes in email, e-docs, texts, phones, iPads ,and laptops... I'm back to old school. I leave that pad on my desk. Sometime I bring it home. I see it.. It's visual whether I like it or not. My life has changed. I'm almost as efficient as I was in 1990. I know... That was super underwhelming (but true). I will see myself out..

Topic Author
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:37 pm

JakeyLee wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 pm
Small pad of paper. I'm not sure what it's technically called. It's light yellow...with lines. Not spriral. Held at the top with glue (?). Like a 1/3 the size of 8x11. Anyway, after years of thinking I can jot important notes in email, e-docs, texts, phones, iPads ,and laptops... I'm back to old school. I leave that pad on my desk. Sometime I bring it home. I see it.. It's visual whether I like it or not. My life has changed. I'm almost as efficient as I was in 1990. I know... That was super underwhelming (but true). I will see myself out..
Yes, forgot about this. After trying out a multitude of note taking 'Apps' some of them which require monthly fees I decided to stick with good old paper and pen. Writing with a Uni-ball Jetstream is a delight, I am much more productive and don't have to worry about syncing between multiple devices and what not.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:46 pm

My security system is 2 Labradors.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:59 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:09 pm
rj342 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:40 pm
GoldenFinch wrote:
BionicBillWalsh wrote:

I tried a reel mower back many years ago .... I had a small level yard at the time. I really wanted to make this work.

The thing wouldn't cut worth a darn.

I now use a gasoline mower, not self-propelled. That's sort of mid-tech I guess ....
We have Kentucky blue grass and some kind of shade mixture so maybe it’s softer grass and that’s why it works so well. The Reel mower is a Scott’s and I think I paid 100 bucks for it two years ago. It basically mulches the grass very finely so I don’t use the bag. We’re on a third of an acre with a house in the middle so maybe it’s not a lot of grass or the mower is just newer and has shark tooth blades. I haven’t had to sharpen it yet, so I’ll report back if things go south. :happy

clown

Post by clown » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:02 pm

Alternatively, the security system could be a rotweiler and a Glock.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:06 pm

Nekrotok wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 pm
What kind of grass are you guys using the reel mower on? I tried it on fescue, and a lot of the floppy blades of grass would just like down flat on the ground and wouldn't get cut. I wonder if it's better on zoysia or Bermuda..
The type of grass probably does make a difference. I mentioned above that we have Kentucky blue grass. I think Bermuda would make it harder to push the mower.

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:40 pm

Washboard for laundry.
Churn for butter.
Slide rule for calculations.
Sundial for telling time.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:43 pm

I have the Griswold cast iron pans my grandmother and mother used, love them.

I bake my own bread (in a cast iron dutch oven) from a sourdough starter that is a little over 2 years old now.

Cooking and baking (without the fancy gadgets, just normal oven/stove/microwave) if that counts.

I also do not have or want any of the smart home stuff but I do have a very simple local DVR outdoor security camera system a friend gave me.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:59 pm

1940's Ford tractor. Way overbuilt for the amount of power it makes, has been sitting outside in rain, frost, and 110F summers for nearly 80 years. Very little maintenance, fires right up. Maybe needs a set of tires every 2-3 decades.
Semper Augustus

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:38 am

iPhone
Car starter
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:55 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
BionicBillWalsh wrote:

I loved my reel mower at my old house. The grass is different at the current house and not suitable for it. Reel mower - easy, quiet, non polluting.

Got rid of my television.

Would still have a landline for its safety and convenience features (on during power failures and no carrying a cell phone from room to room.)
Last edited by fru-gal on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:58 am

I started using my paper based Franklin Planner again. I could never get used to using phone apps or other electrical devices. Theres just something about taking notes, to-dos and appts. on paper.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:05 am

ice-cube trays.

Our ice-maker in the refrigerator broke, and we don't feel like replacing it.

So we're using ice-cube trays instead.

My son says "I can't believe we're living like the Pilgrims." :D
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”