Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV???? UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your help.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
andypanda
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by andypanda »

As I mentioned earlier, I have a '16 4Runner Trail Premium. I also have a 5' x 8' open trailer that's great for hauling lumber, soggy bags of mulch and whatnot. It's easier to load and unload than hauling large stuff inside the 4Runner. I don't know how far she has to drive to get to the feed store, but it's a thought.

And speaking of Land Cruisers, my roomie in college bought a new '72 Land Cruiser. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if that's what they were selling now. Floor drains for hosing it out and all that good practical stuff... no wall to wall carpeting and leather seats fret over.

Image

I know, this is a '71, but you get the idea.
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

andypanda wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:07 am As I mentioned earlier, I have a '16 4Runner Trail Premium. I also have a 5' x 8' open trailer that's great for hauling lumber, soggy bags of mulch and whatnot. It's easier to load and unload than hauling large stuff inside the 4Runner. I don't know how far she has to drive to get to the feed store, but it's a thought.

And speaking of Land Cruisers, my roomie in college bought a new '72 Land Cruiser. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if that's what they were selling now. Floor drains for hosing it out and all that good practical stuff... no wall to wall carpeting and leather seats fret over.
I know, this is a '71, but you get the idea.
Beautiful.
I want one.
Thanks for the picture!

And, Toyota reliable!!!!!

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
User avatar
CULater
Posts: 2832
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am
Location: Hic sunt dracones

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by CULater »

RDX - Nope. And MDX also. Too many complaints about a problem with the engine, such as the one below. I don't know why people don't check the Carcomplaints.com website and others before car shopping.
Car goes into "limp mode" and loses all engine power at highway speeds. Has happened 4 times, twice putting my safety in jeopardy. The first time it happened I was accelerating onto the highway. I pulled over and restarted the vehicle, attributing it to a one time glitch. It happened the second time when I was attempting to pass another vehicle on the highway. I called the dealership and they advised me to restart the vehicle and drive into their shop. The third time it happened I was accelerating onto a highway from the on ramp. I called and left a message for the dealership. The fourth time it happened I was attempting to pass a semi truck in a construction zone. My Rdx lost all engine power and I was forced to turn on the flashing emergency lights and coast until I reached the end of the construction zone. Acura has repeatedly denied the existence of this problem and told me I was the only one experiencing this issue. The approximately 20 complaints filed with the NHTSA indicate otherwise. Acura has refused to resolve this issue, claiming they cannot duplicate it. A recall should be instituted before someone is injured or killed by this serious safety issue.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Acura/RDX ... gine.shtml
Acura class action lawsuit alleges the SUVs suddenly lose power and stall without warning.

Acura MDX and RDX Loss of Power Lawsuit Filed in Florida
December 26, 2019 — An Acura MDX and Acura RDX loss of power lawsuit has been filed that alleges the SUVs decelerate rapidly and stall without warning.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019 ... suit.shtml
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
BUBear29
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:20 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by BUBear29 »

GMC Yukon (or chevy tahoe) fits the bill
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
User avatar
Frugal Al
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 10:09 am

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Frugal Al »

I find the new 2020 Toyota Highlander to have a good capability, reasonable looking front grill, and should offer the build and reliability Toyota is known for (it's a newer design for 2020). It is built on car based unibody chassis but has 5000 lb towing capacity with the optional tow package. I think you're going to have to decide if you want the superior hauling/towing capabilities with the associated poorer ride and handling of a body on frame vehicle, or a car based unibody chassis.
3504PIR
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:46 am

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by 3504PIR »

Was going to recommend a Porsche as well, but if service isn’t local then I’m not sure. Wife’s Macan is great and our “local” dealer is an hour away. Annual servicing so we either make a day of it with movies, etc or a nice getaway for a night which doesn’t bother us too much at all! Porsche has turned out to be a no kidding annual service and are generous with loaners.
Carl53
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Carl53 »

Frugal Al wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:18 pm I find the new 2020 Toyota Highlander to have a good capability, reasonable looking front grill, and should offer the build and reliability Toyota is known for (it's a newer design for 2020). It is built on car based unibody chassis but has 5000 lb towing capacity with the optional tow package. I think you're going to have to decide if you want the superior hauling/towing capabilities with the associated poorer ride and handling of a body on frame vehicle, or a car based unibody chassis.
We were waiting for this to come out, but were disappointed to find that it did not get the power folding mirrors that several other models as well as European highlanders have.
mnsportsgeek
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by mnsportsgeek »

If you're at all concerned about reliability, do not get a Land Rover.
User avatar
CULater
Posts: 2832
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am
Location: Hic sunt dracones

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by CULater »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:56 pm If you're at all concerned about reliability, do not get a Land Rover.
And I'd think twice about a Honda/Acura product as well. The reliability of the brand was built on small sedans; in the SUV world not so much. It's now a middle-of-the-road brand in that category at best. Check the ratings. There are better choices out there, including the Kia and Hyundai brands that used to be a joke. Things change.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
btenny
Posts: 5442
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by btenny »

Are you telling us that your wife moves 500 pounds of horse feed by herself every two weeks? WOW!! I want to come and watch that. She must be a very tough lady. My wife would make me do the unloading at home and get the store guy to do the loading. And no way would my wife use her nice Lincoln SUV for that work. She would borrow her girl friends or brothers pickup.

Plus it is my experience ladies who have horses drive old small Subaru Outbacks every day except when towing or hauling stuff in their pickups. Yep the horse ladies own pickups and they drive old SUVs to save gas and because they spend all their money on the horses...

So are you sure you really need a nice new pretty SUV to have her hauling horse feed all the time? Or should you just get her a newer fancy nice pickup?? Have you taken her to drive a F150 Platinum or King Ranch??? They are really cool trucks and nicer and more rugged than any SUV....

Good Luck.
randomguy
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by randomguy »

BUBear29 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:54 pm GMC Yukon (or chevy tahoe) fits the bill
From comments on other SUVs, those are going to be too big. She seems to be looking for a ~190" truck not a 200+ one. Not super reliable either but again that is a bit of a vague term. GMC does have a mid size one that would fit the bill and it does look pretty trucky. If a dealer is near buy, it is probably worth a trip
User avatar
rob
Posts: 3367
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by rob »

We had a Volvo X90 rental and my wife loved the thing... Still mentions it months later. Not my type of car but worth consideration.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

btenny wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:12 pm Are you telling us that your wife moves 500 pounds of horse feed by herself every two weeks? WOW!! I want to come and watch that. She must be a very tough lady. My wife would make me do the unloading at home and get the store guy to do the loading. And no way would my wife use her nice Lincoln SUV for that work. She would borrow her girl friends or brothers pickup.

Plus it is my experience ladies who have horses drive old small Subaru Outbacks every day except when towing or hauling stuff in their pickups. Yep the horse ladies own pickups and they drive old SUVs to save gas and because they spend all their money on the horses...

So are you sure you really need a nice new pretty SUV to have her hauling horse feed all the time? Or should you just get her a newer fancy nice pickup?? Have you taken her to drive a F150 Platinum or King Ranch??? They are really cool trucks and nicer and more rugged than any SUV....

Good Luck.
Great points!
Thanks!
Yes. We know at least one "horse lady" with an old Subaru. Others with F-350 Duallies.

Then, there is the "dressage" crowd (not cowboys/western) with the Range Rovers and Jaguars with European dressage horses that can cost well more than a Mercedes G. Here are 2 of those fellows playing in the pasture. Both are German.

(spice up this car thread with some horse pics) :happy
Image
Image
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
bogledogle
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury SUV????

Post by bogledogle »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 am
T4REngineer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:02 am Have you considered a Toyota Landcruiser? I have a 5th gen 4runner, while the limited trim might be considered luxury the larger body overhangs make it not as off-road friendly as the sr5/trail model 4runners. Those models do not have full time 4wheel drive and not sure how she would feel about having to engage it when conditions warranted

neither are as high end as a Audi Q7, RR, Mercedes GLS etc. but certainly has enough for most people and the durability/reliability is un paralleled

just a note that 5-700lbs is going to make many of the options on your list squat - some have air suspension to fix this but that tends to be a reliability issue. Without it your headlights might blind other drivers if the driving is done at night
All in favor of the Landcruiser as well.
But, she doesn't like the style and it's a bit too long for where she parks in the garage.

I'm trying to get her into the Toyota 4Runner TRD 4wd which is outstanding but she doesn't like the look of the front end.

Thanks
j :happy

Sound like 4runner is your best bet. If she does not like the front end, look into some of the "overlanding" gear, there are many ways to modify the front end to get a mean look and heaps of ground clearance. Also, look at the TRD model its front end is cooler looking than the standard issue.
JOEVANDAL
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:01 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by JOEVANDAL »

I just purchased a 2020 4 Runner TRD Off Road Premium. I love it and it should last 200,000+ miles. My wife has a Lexus and she is really impressed with the ride in my new rig. Very smooth and quiet. Also, is has pretty high clearance.
5280Tim
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by 5280Tim »

The Lexus GX is a 4Runner with a different body. It also comes with a V8. 192” long. I love mine and it’s 8 years old.
inbox788
Posts: 7733
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by inbox788 »

With complaints of Lexus looks and some models being too big, that eliminates a lot of suggestions (several suggestions are as big as the ones deemed too big). I didn't see these smaller SUV options mentioned, and you might want to test drive them for size to decide if they're too small or just right for DW.

Mercedes GLB (and GLC)
Mazda CX-30

BTW, how much volume does 500-700 pounds of horsefeed take up (and does it cost more than the car payment)? If bagged, what is the weight of each bag? Loading 10 or 20 big and heavy bags would be simpler from a truck or trailer. How is it moved now?

Though on the larger side, a Chrysler Pacifica with the Stow 'n Go seats would let you load from 3 openings, and you can move 4x8 sheets as well. [But everyone seems to hate minivans.]
Finridge
Posts: 777
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Finridge »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:29 am Aloha Everyone, need your help and advice.
Shopping for DW's new SUV

Requirements:
Long Term Reliability (a must)
Durability (a must)
**4wd/AWD (a must - ice/snow/occasional gravel/mud)
*(we live 2 miles from the main highway, unpaved road, nasty in winter storms and summer monsoons = mud n ice)
Cargo weight (5-700 lbs of feed bags (horse grain) every 2 weeks)
Flat cargo loading, rear seat folds flat.
Ground clearance (not car like)
Loaded with power seats, etc, etc, etc, etc, $$$$$$$.

Car allocation:
Existing car: Nissan Xterra (hers to be replaced)
Existing truck: Toyota Tundra TRD 4wd. (his, keeping it)

Retired: Not on a driving schedule. Not daily use.
*DW does not like cars or car like.

*Budget Unlimited: (Whatever DW wants) :shock:

List:
Honda Passport Elite (likes that it has the Ridgeline truck base, liked the test drive)
Honda Pilot
Nissan Pathfinger (too big, wife doesn't like it) Nope
Toyota/Lexus (wife doesn't like new body style, and front end) Nope
Jeep anything (reliability is a must) Nope
Infinity Q 60 (will be looking at this and test driving) (No nearby dealer/service, can a Nissan dealer suffice?)
Infinity Q80 (might be too big if close to Pathfinder, dunno)
Range Rover (DW loves this but no nearby dealer and servicing) Is this as reliable as a Toyota?
Mercedes G 550 SUV (will be looking at this. No nearby dealer/service so maybe not) Is this as reliable as a Toyota?

Any other suggestions for this list?

Thanks everyone for your kind help and suggestions.
jim :happy
What I would suggest. Take several hours and visit your local Suburu, Honda and Toyota dealers. Avoid the salespeople and do NOT go for any test drives. Just say, "No thanks, I'm still narrowing my list--I'd be wasting yhoru time, etc." Instead, just go to the floor models on display and go through them at your leisure, examining them for the features that are important to you, laying down the back seats, etc.

I recommend doing this with the following models (in each case, the 4x4 or AWD versions):

Toyota:
- RAV4
- 4runner

Honda
- CRV
- Passport
- Pilot

Suburu:
- Outback
- Forester

We had almost identical criteria to your's and this is what we did. We found this to be very revealing. Obviously, there are other makes you can look at as well, but Toyota, Honda and Suburu are among the most reliable.
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:40 am With complaints of Lexus looks and some models being too big, that eliminates a lot of suggestions (several suggestions are as big as the ones deemed too big). I didn't see these smaller SUV options mentioned, and you might want to test drive them for size to decide if they're too small or just right for DW.

Mercedes GLB (and GLC)
Mazda CX-30

BTW, how much volume does 500-700 pounds of horsefeed take up (and does it cost more than the car payment)? If bagged, what is the weight of each bag? Loading 10 or 20 big and heavy bags would be simpler from a truck or trailer. How is it moved now?

Though on the larger side, a Chrysler Pacifica with the Stow 'n Go seats would let you load from 3 openings, and you can move 4x8 sheets as well. [But everyone seems to hate minivans.]
A dozen 40 lb bags of grain weighs about 500 lbs and doesn't take too much room. 20 bags fill up the back of a Nissan Xterra.
(there's only 1 supplier here and they don't deliver). These are supplements to daily hey.
DW likes the Xterra because the feed store loads the bags in the car and the back is high enough that she just has to slide them down to unload without lifting them. Actually easier to unload than my truck where you have to pull them across the tailgate and reach in deeper to get them.
Before DW's Nissan Xterra, she had a Honda Element which also worked out well but the weight was a bit much for it.

Right now, we're also looking more closer at the Honda Pilot Elite AWD.

I have a Toyota Tundra truck for "truck things", so DW"s new car only has to do the grain bags.
Also have a large tandem trailer, too big for this task.

Thanks for the tips.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

Finridge wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:52 am
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:29 am Aloha Everyone, need your help and advice.
Shopping for DW's new SUV
. . . . . . . . .
Thanks everyone for your kind help and suggestions.
jim :happy
What I would suggest. Take several hours and visit your local Suburu, Honda and Toyota dealers. Avoid the salespeople and do NOT go for any test drives. Just say, "No thanks, I'm still narrowing my list--I'd be wasting yhoru time, etc." Instead, just go to the floor models on display and go through them at your leisure, examining them for the features that are important to you, laying down the back seats, etc.

I recommend doing this with the following models (in each case, the 4x4 or AWD versions):

Toyota:
- RAV4
- 4runner

Honda
- CRV
- Passport
- Pilot

Suburu:
- Outback
- Forester

We had almost identical criteria to your's and this is what we did. We found this to be very revealing. Obviously, there are other makes you can look at as well, but Toyota, Honda and Suburu are among the most reliable.
This is great stuff!!!
Yes. We're planning to do this.

Thanks for your help.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

bogledogle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:07 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 am I'm trying to get her into the Toyota 4Runner TRD 4wd which is outstanding but she doesn't like the look of the front end.

Thanks
j :happy

Sound like 4runner is your best bet. If she does not like the front end, look into some of the "overlanding" gear, there are many ways to modify the front end to get a mean look and heaps of ground clearance. Also, look at the TRD model its front end is cooler looking than the standard issue.
I did not know this.

Will tell DW and look into it.
Thanks for the help.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

JOEVANDAL wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:02 pm I just purchased a 2020 4 Runner TRD Off Road Premium. I love it and it should last 200,000+ miles. My wife has a Lexus and she is really impressed with the ride in my new rig. Very smooth and quiet. Also, is has pretty high clearance.
I agree.
I would buy the 4Runner TRD Premium in a heartbeat if DW liked it.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
lazydavid
Posts: 3399
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by lazydavid »

BUBear29 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:54 pm GMC Yukon (or chevy tahoe) fits the bill
Load floor in the Tahoe/Yukon up through the 2020 MY is REALLY high--like 5" above the already-high bumper high--and therefore would be difficult to load feed into. They lowered it significantly for 2021, but I don't think those are really available yet.
anthonyphamy
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by anthonyphamy »

I am also considering a SUV (eg, RAV4, CX5, Forester). But the thought of a sedan is in the back of my mind (eg, Camry, mazda6). Any thoughts on why your wife is considering a SUV over a sedan? Is it for ease of getting in and out? Or is it visibility? Safety?
randomguy
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by randomguy »

anthonyphamy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:40 pm I am also considering a SUV (eg, RAV4, CX5, Forester). But the thought of a sedan is in the back of my mind (eg, Camry, mazda6). Any thoughts on why your wife is considering a SUV over a sedan? Is it for ease of getting in and out? Or is it visibility? Safety?
6" mud is a decent amount and I have a feeling that you are going to want those extra couple of inches of ground clearance and a lot of those sedans don't come with AWD which is also useful. Sedans trunks also tend to be a pain to load versus a CUV or wagon for things like 50lb feed bags.
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

UPDATE:

DW and I test drove the Toyota Highlander, 4Runner, Honda Passport Elite, and Honda Pilot Limited AWD, today.
She liked the Honda Pilot AWD the best. We spent about 2 hours looking at it again and asking about all the details of it.
Looks like we're going to order a 2021 later in the year when we can do that.

Thanks everyone for your help.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
indycougar
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV???? UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your help.

Post by indycougar »

We've been extremely happy with our 2017 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD. Drive is great and inside is well appointed for an under 40k car. I've driven a 2019 VW Atlas and 2018 Jaguar SUV for weeks at a time and would take the Kia over them. Obviously the Jaguar and VW look a bit cooler.
TimDex
Posts: 936
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV???? UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your help.

Post by TimDex »

Reading your posts, what she needs is a pickup truck, redneck mercedes edition.

Myself, I just got a Jeep Grand Cherokee and really love it. And since I have now put 300 miles on it without a problem, I can categorically state that it is very reliable.

Tim
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal
gator15
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV???? UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your help.

Post by gator15 »

A few years ago I was in the market for an SUV. I decided to go with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I looked at several SUVs including the Lexus GX and RX, Audi SUVs and the 4Runner among other vehicles. I felt like I got the most bang for my buck with the Jeep that’s why I got it. No regrets at all. I have 60k miles on it with no issues and I’ve driven it across the country multiple times. If I had to purchase another SUV I would get the same vehicle. I get the reliability concerns but I haven’t had an issue with my Jeep. In fact I’ve owned multiple jeeps and never had an issue. I like them so much I may add another to the collection soon.
Laker1
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:50 pm
Location: Holland MI

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Laker1 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:53 pm UPDATE:

DW and I test drove the Toyota Highlander, 4Runner, Honda Passport Elite, and Honda Pilot Limited AWD, today.
She liked the Honda Pilot AWD the best. We spent about 2 hours looking at it again and asking about all the details of it.
Looks like we're going to order a 2021 later in the year when we can do that.

Thanks everyone for your help.
j :happy
Just an idea, we have a 2019 Pilot and we bought the EX-L since we wanted the more tested 6 speed automatic transmission. Acura has had issues with the 9 speed in their units so we decided to avoid that. Be aware what Honda says you have to change the rear differental fluid every 15K for an extra $115.00 and thats a surprise we didnt think about. We are averaging about 19 MPG over all and our Pilot has been back to dealership 5 times so far for little things that are all fixed but annoying. We had a 2017 CRV that Honda bought back due to the oil dilution issue and we got a great deal on the Pilot but over all I am not all that impressed. The tailgate is not adjustable so be careful if you want to open in your garage...for us we cant...so thats a pain. We had a 2005 4runner that we sold to buy the CRV and while it had 228K on in I wish I had it back instead of the Pilot. The Pilot is a nice driving car, handles ok and is decent in the snow...we had to but winter tires on it as the stock Bridgestones are useless in the snow. The Super Handling AWD is very good but you need tires to work also. Why Honda cant use the Bridgestone Dueler or a Michelin is beyond me. We had the CRV touring and it came with Hankook tires which were also garbage in weather. At this point my faith in Honda is weak. I know Happy Wife Happy Life...LOL..happy and safe motoring.
User avatar
CULater
Posts: 2832
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am
Location: Hic sunt dracones

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by CULater »

Laker1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:53 pm UPDATE:

DW and I test drove the Toyota Highlander, 4Runner, Honda Passport Elite, and Honda Pilot Limited AWD, today.
She liked the Honda Pilot AWD the best. We spent about 2 hours looking at it again and asking about all the details of it.
Looks like we're going to order a 2021 later in the year when we can do that.

Thanks everyone for your help.
j :happy
Just an idea, we have a 2019 Pilot and we bought the EX-L since we wanted the more tested 6 speed automatic transmission. Acura has had issues with the 9 speed in their units so we decided to avoid that. Be aware what Honda says you have to change the rear differental fluid every 15K for an extra $115.00 and thats a surprise we didnt think about. We are averaging about 19 MPG over all and our Pilot has been back to dealership 5 times so far for little things that are all fixed but annoying. We had a 2017 CRV that Honda bought back due to the oil dilution issue and we got a great deal on the Pilot but over all I am not all that impressed. The tailgate is not adjustable so be careful if you want to open in your garage...for us we cant...so thats a pain. We had a 2005 4runner that we sold to buy the CRV and while it had 228K on in I wish I had it back instead of the Pilot. The Pilot is a nice driving car, handles ok and is decent in the snow...we had to but winter tires on it as the stock Bridgestones are useless in the snow. The Super Handling AWD is very good but you need tires to work also. Why Honda cant use the Bridgestone Dueler or a Michelin is beyond me. We had the CRV touring and it came with Hankook tires which were also garbage in weather. At this point my faith in Honda is weak. I know Happy Wife Happy Life...LOL..happy and safe motoring.
Speaking of the Hankook tires, these came on my CRV. Rated for 70K miles which is a joke. I have 30K on them and they won't last another 5K. Already slipping on non-dry pavement and lots of tire noise. I'd make a real effort to get the dealer to swap out to an actual tire as part of the negotiation if yours come with these.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

Laker1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:53 pm UPDATE:

DW and I test drove the Toyota Highlander, 4Runner, Honda Passport Elite, and Honda Pilot Limited AWD, today.
She liked the Honda Pilot AWD the best. We spent about 2 hours looking at it again and asking about all the details of it.
Looks like we're going to order a 2021 later in the year when we can do that.

Thanks everyone for your help.
j :happy
Just an idea, we have a 2019 Pilot and we bought the EX-L since we wanted the more tested 6 speed automatic transmission. Acura has had issues with the 9 speed in their units so we decided to avoid that. Be aware what Honda says you have to change the rear differental fluid every 15K for an extra $115.00 and thats a surprise we didnt think about. We are averaging about 19 MPG over all and our Pilot has been back to dealership 5 times so far for little things that are all fixed but annoying. We had a 2017 CRV that Honda bought back due to the oil dilution issue and we got a great deal on the Pilot but over all I am not all that impressed. The tailgate is not adjustable so be careful if you want to open in your garage...for us we cant...so thats a pain. We had a 2005 4runner that we sold to buy the CRV and while it had 228K on in I wish I had it back instead of the Pilot. The Pilot is a nice driving car, handles ok and is decent in the snow...we had to but winter tires on it as the stock Bridgestones are useless in the snow. The Super Handling AWD is very good but you need tires to work also. Why Honda cant use the Bridgestone Dueler or a Michelin is beyond me. We had the CRV touring and it came with Hankook tires which were also garbage in weather. At this point my faith in Honda is weak. I know Happy Wife Happy Life...LOL..happy and safe motoring.
Great stuff!
Thanks for sharing.
I'll look into the mechanical issues.

Rear dif fluid every 15k miles.
Wow!!!!

Agreed on OEM tires.
Upgrade to high end Michelins as soon as the old ones go.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
njuser
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:10 am

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by njuser »

bubbadog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:35 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:36 pm
researcher wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:21 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:52 pm With no disrepect to the Kia fans out there this is a 10K test...how about they check back in after 200K and see which one needs the most reoairs and has the best resale? They do look good upfront I will say that..
The vehicles you suggested, the Land Cruiser and 4Runner, are relics from 2007.

Those vehicles are only ideal if the OP's wife spend 95% of her time overlanding through deserts and mountain ranges.
Actually 2008 and yes they are older for sure...have you driven a LC? Just curious..I personally am given a cadillac escalade every year as my "company" car...I never it other than to a function where the suits expect it. I prefer the LC...so...different strokes for different folks...as for the roads in Indiana and Michigan those desert ranges might look better...LOL
I don't think people in the US understand/appreciate what a truly great vehicle the Land Cruiser is. It's an iconic vehicle in other parts of the world and a favorite of the United Nations, various militias, and extremely violent religious organizations. It is Toyota's pride and joy and only built in Japan at a dedicated factory. It's built to last 25 years with minimal maintenance. It is most likely the most reliable and durable vehicle you could buy at any price. But it does not have Apple CarPlay so nobody is interested.
I had a Land Cruiser and I would love to get another but the gas mileage is frightening.
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

njuser wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:26 am
bubbadog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:35 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:36 pm
researcher wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:21 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:52 pm With no disrepect to the Kia fans out there this is a 10K test...how about they check back in after 200K and see which one needs the most reoairs and has the best resale? They do look good upfront I will say that..
The vehicles you suggested, the Land Cruiser and 4Runner, are relics from 2007.

Those vehicles are only ideal if the OP's wife spend 95% of her time overlanding through deserts and mountain ranges.
Actually 2008 and yes they are older for sure...have you driven a LC? Just curious..I personally am given a cadillac escalade every year as my "company" car...I never it other than to a function where the suits expect it. I prefer the LC...so...different strokes for different folks...as for the roads in Indiana and Michigan those desert ranges might look better...LOL
I don't think people in the US understand/appreciate what a truly great vehicle the Land Cruiser is. It's an iconic vehicle in other parts of the world and a favorite of the United Nations, various militias, and extremely violent religious organizations. It is Toyota's pride and joy and only built in Japan at a dedicated factory. It's built to last 25 years with minimal maintenance. It is most likely the most reliable and durable vehicle you could buy at any price. But it does not have Apple CarPlay so nobody is interested.
I had a Land Cruiser and I would love to get another but the gas mileage is frightening.
Likely no worse than my Toyota Tundra truck with the 5.7 Ltr V8. Maybe even uses the same engine. Not sure.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 11871
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Sandtrap »

andypanda wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:07 am As I mentioned earlier, I have a '16 4Runner Trail Premium. I also have a 5' x 8' open trailer that's great for hauling lumber, soggy bags of mulch and whatnot. It's easier to load and unload than hauling large stuff inside the 4Runner. I don't know how far she has to drive to get to the feed store, but it's a thought.

And speaking of Land Cruisers, my roomie in college bought a new '72 Land Cruiser. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if that's what they were selling now. Floor drains for hosing it out and all that good practical stuff... no wall to wall carpeting and leather seats fret over.

Image

I know, this is a '71, but you get the idea.
That is sweet!
Thanks for posting the picture to drool over.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
othermike27
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Chicago Metro

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by othermike27 »

Laker1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am
Just an idea, we have a 2019 Pilot and we bought the EX-L since we wanted the more tested 6 speed automatic transmission. Acura has had issues with the 9 speed in their units so we decided to avoid that.
Bought a 2019 Pilot with Touring trim one year ago. Before deciding on a Pilot I test drove a 9-speed Pilot Touring because of many previous reports of problems (Acura, Chrysler, Jeep) with this transmission from the German company ZF. Shifting in the Pilot with the ZF-9 was completely smooth. The only way I got the ZF-9 to do something that felt odd was to use the paddle shifter to force a downshift sooner than the tranny would have done by itself.When I did so, there was a brief hesitation and you could hear the engine rev a little before it dropped into the lower gear. Much like someone doing a clumsy job of down-shifting a manual transmission. In one year of driving with the ZF-9, we have had zero issues.
Laker1
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:50 pm
Location: Holland MI

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Laker1 »

othermike27 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:36 pm
Laker1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am
Just an idea, we have a 2019 Pilot and we bought the EX-L since we wanted the more tested 6 speed automatic transmission. Acura has had issues with the 9 speed in their units so we decided to avoid that.
Bought a 2019 Pilot with Touring trim one year ago. Before deciding on a Pilot I test drove a 9-speed Pilot Touring because of many previous reports of problems (Acura, Chrysler, Jeep) with this transmission from the German company ZF. Shifting in the Pilot with the ZF-9 was completely smooth. The only way I got the ZF-9 to do something that felt odd was to use the paddle shifter to force a downshift sooner than the tranny would have done by itself.When I did so, there was a brief hesitation and you could hear the engine rev a little before it dropped into the lower gear. Much like someone doing a clumsy job of down-shifting a manual transmission. In one year of driving with the ZF-9, we have had zero issues.
I hope you have great luck with the car..most issues Honda seems to get right in the long run..has Honda tried to sell you all the services that they say are needed on the new Pilot transmissions and rear a differencials?
Wolfpack2463
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:20 am

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by Wolfpack2463 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:19 am
Laker1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:53 pm UPDATE:

DW and I test drove the Toyota Highlander, 4Runner, Honda Passport Elite, and Honda Pilot Limited AWD, today.
She liked the Honda Pilot AWD the best. We spent about 2 hours looking at it again and asking about all the details of it.
Looks like we're going to order a 2021 later in the year when we can do that.

Thanks everyone for your help.
j :happy
Just an idea, we have a 2019 Pilot and we bought the EX-L since we wanted the more tested 6 speed automatic transmission. Acura has had issues with the 9 speed in their units so we decided to avoid that. Be aware what Honda says you have to change the rear differental fluid every 15K for an extra $115.00 and thats a surprise we didnt think about. We are averaging about 19 MPG over all and our Pilot has been back to dealership 5 times so far for little things that are all fixed but annoying. We had a 2017 CRV that Honda bought back due to the oil dilution issue and we got a great deal on the Pilot but over all I am not all that impressed. The tailgate is not adjustable so be careful if you want to open in your garage...for us we cant...so thats a pain. We had a 2005 4runner that we sold to buy the CRV and while it had 228K on in I wish I had it back instead of the Pilot. The Pilot is a nice driving car, handles ok and is decent in the snow...we had to but winter tires on it as the stock Bridgestones are useless in the snow. The Super Handling AWD is very good but you need tires to work also. Why Honda cant use the Bridgestone Dueler or a Michelin is beyond me. We had the CRV touring and it came with Hankook tires which were also garbage in weather. At this point my faith in Honda is weak. I know Happy Wife Happy Life...LOL..happy and safe motoring.
Great stuff!
Thanks for sharing.
I'll look into the mechanical issues.

Rear dif fluid every 15k miles.
Wow!!!!

Agreed on OEM tires.
Upgrade to high end Michelins as soon as the old ones go.

j :happy
Just to clarify on the rear differential fluid change, it is done at 15k and then every 30k after that. The maintenance minder should generate the code when it is due.

We have a 2019 Pilot Touring (13,000 miles) and have had no issues so far with the 9-speed or the infotainment issues that have plagued some owners. We love the room and ride. The lack of tailgate adjustment is annoying (especially since the instructions to do so are in the manual but neither myself or the dealer could get it to work), but you can manually open the tailgate by, I believe, holding down the button on the tailgate till it beeps.
othermike27
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Chicago Metro

Re: Suggestions for wife's new luxury (or non luxury) SUV????

Post by othermike27 »

Laker1 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:12 am I hope you have great luck with the car..most issues Honda seems to get right in the long run..has Honda tried to sell you all the services that they say are needed on the new Pilot transmissions and rear a differencials?
I have been driving Acura vehicles for 20 years and a Honda before that, so I expect to be a longtime satisfied Pilot owner. I'm not aware that the manufacturer recommends any unusual service on the transmission or differential. Dealers are another matter. I tell them that if it isn't manufacturer recommended service, I want more evidence than just their recommendation that it's worth it to me.
Post Reply