paying cleaning lady

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fru-gal

paying cleaning lady

Post by fru-gal »

I'm thinking about hiring a cleaning lady for the first time, and I'm clueless about paying her,

What I have in mind is hiring her for three hours a week and she cleans whatever she chooses to. What with a certain degree of chaos in my life, some health issues, stuff has really gotten away from me. She could probably spend the first three hours just dusting. (Don't think hoarding or food left out, just lack of tidying up to an extreme.)

How much do you think I should pay her for three hours work? Do I tip her? Do I hand her cash, or do I have to do stuff like mess with Social Security, etc.? Do I pay her when she begins work or when she finishes up?

Anything I've forgotten? Thanks!
Brianmcg321

Re: paying cleaning lady

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Our cleaning lady charges $100 for 3hrs.

We give her a $50 tip at Christmas.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

My mom just started with a mother daughter team who clean for about 2 hrs for $110. They cleaned REALLY well. Previous husband / wife team cleaned for 45 minutes for $80. Cleaning not great. Much happier with mother and daughter - recommended by brother and sister in-law.

Show your cleaner what you want and then ask for a price.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Post on your Next Door Neighbor forum, and ask for recommendations. My daughter has been doing a once a month using the cleaning lady the former home owner used. $100. I know she was there 4 hrs the first time, but can't imagine takes 4 hrs every time. I believe they like to work in 2 or 4 hr shifts.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

If I may offer a suggestion I would first get a deep clean for as long as it takes. Thereafter 2-3 hours/ week for maintenance. If you have a number of knick knacks or heavy draperies, multiple rooms, etc, the 3 hours might not be enough and you may end up dissatisfied and your cleaning lady frustrated.

When I was in college I took a job cleaning homes and people on tight budgets would interrupt me and shoo me off to do another room well before the other one was completed because they had their eye on the clock. It made impossible to pace myself and there were pockets of the room or house not done. If you are fearful of the cost, have them come in and ask them how much they would charge to clean the house initially- not per hour but by the job. Then you can negotiate by the hour later on.

Another reason I suggest the deep clean is because my when my mom was ill, my dad was doing the bare minimum in terms of housekeeping. When she eventually passed away, my uncles, aunts and I spent two full days cleaning the house in preparation for visitors, mostly wiping away the five months of dust that had accumulated on nearly every surface of the house. When things get out hand, they can get out of hand.

My house cleaner in a MCOL city on the Midwest charges $17/hour. Just to get a comparison. It’s a low barrier to entry so I can’t imaging in high cost of living cities it is that much more. The cleaner comes twice a month and I pay by the Venmo app monthly. You could probably arrange something similar.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

fru-gal wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:05 pm I'm thinking about hiring a cleaning lady for the first time, and I'm clueless about paying her,

What I have in mind is hiring her for three hours a week and she cleans whatever she chooses to. What with a certain degree of chaos in my life, some health issues, stuff has really gotten away from me. She could probably spend the first three hours just dusting. (Don't think hoarding or food left out, just lack of tidying up to an extreme.)

How much do you think I should pay her for three hours work? Do I tip her? Do I hand her cash, or do I have to do stuff like mess with Social Security, etc.? Do I pay her when she begins work or when she finishes up?

Anything I've forgotten? Thanks!
Just to answer your questions. I pay by the hour but it generally takes the same amount of time each session given how long they have been cleaning my house. I tip at Xmas time only. I pay once/month and I would suggest something similar if you regularly employ them. I do not pay SS because the people who clean my house actually work for another lady. My cleaners are Russian immigrants who work under a Russian lady married to an American. I don’t know what the rules would be if I hired an individual. Again always pay when they are done, never before.

I would also give them some guidance. Tell them what you would like to see done first whether it is dusting, the windows, the bathroom etc. Highlight your priorities. Do you want the furniture moved or not moved? Baseboards dusted? Dishes put away or is it ok to leave them on the drying rack in the kitchen. Change the sheets when they make the bed or just use same. People pay attention to different things. My cleaners used to dust my crown molding fastidiously (which I essentially ignore) but not “see” the toothpaste smeared on the kids bathroom wall.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

If you don't have any friends/family in the area with a recommendation, I think the NextDoor route suggested above is good. I think you will find a substantial difference in cost between a service (Merry Maids or something like that) and an individual cleaning person (maybe with an associate). The larger service companies where I live (MCOL) are $30+/hr. individuals are in the $15-$20/hr range. Maybe more if they have to travel far. Keep in mind the services are licensed and bonded, provide transportation for the crews, the owner has to make a profit, they often provide their own equipment/supplies, verify employment status, etc.

I would find someone recommended and ask what they charge. Some people work much faster than others, clean much better than others and I don't want someone thinking they are being underpaid rummaging through my home .
stan1

Post by stan1 »

We always "tidied", put dishes and laundry away, and made beds before they came.

That way they focused on floors, bathrooms, kitchen, dusting, etc.
cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 »

I pay by what work is done vs. by the hour. 2 women come in to clean about 1700 square feet (kitchen, 1 bed room, 1 1/2 bath, dining, family room, office) on a weekly basis for $60. Payment is made by check.

I was told I'm getting a better price on a weekly basis, because things don't get that dirty week to week (vs. coming bi-weekly or once a month).

Weekly cleaning feels luxurious and it's one of the best decisions our household has made evaluating cost/effort.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Does this thread strike anyone else as sexist?
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:24 pm Does this thread strike anyone else as sexist?
I thought that when I saw it, but decided to let it go. I prefer the term housekeeper.

We had a housekeeper until she retired, and we are now about to ask one that was recommended to us to come and give us an estimate. I am not in favor of asking her to work for a given # of hours. I'd rather she give me a price and tell me what all she will do. Over the first few times we may ask her to add something she wasn't doing, and she can increase her price. We got a GroupOn for a cleaning service to come and clean for 4 hours. She was there for 4 hours, but it was a bit hard to tell what all she had done. Lots of things that I thought should have been cleaned were not. Better to price by the job, not the hour.
Last edited by Horsefly on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

We also pay by the job. Our cleaning man comes once a month.

$150 per visit to make our house as clean as it’ll ever be.

3500 sq ft
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

jumppilot wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:32 pm ... Our cleaning man...
Well played!
:sharebeer
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

jumppilot wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:32 pm Our cleaning man comes once a month.
What? No gentleman? :happy
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:33 pm Our cleaning lady charges $100 for 3hrs.

We give her a $50 tip at Christmas.
We are paying $130 for 3-4 hours. Cash. What is basically $30/per hour. When I came to US 25 years ago for this job people get paid $5 per hour.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

Not sure about sexist, but a lot sound illegal. You are required to withhold employment taxes if you pay out over $2200/year.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p926.pdf

(I know this as I stopped regular housekeeping because it wasn't worth the hassle.)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

fortunefavored wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:00 pm Not sure about sexist, but a lot sound illegal. You are required to withhold employment taxes if you pay out over $2200/year.

(I know this as I stopped regular housekeeping because it wasn't worth the hassle.)
I asked my cleaning people when I hired. They said they were independent contractors who paid their own taxes and brought their own equipment and supplies.
Topic Author
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:24 pm Does this thread strike anyone else as sexist?
I know who I'm going to try to hire. She is female.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

No. Why does it strike you as sexist?
Double Dog

Post by Double Dog »

fortunefavored wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:00 pm You are required to withhold employment taxes if you pay out over $2200/year.

From a cursory read of that IRS document, it sounds to me like you would not be responsible for withholding employment taxes for a typical housecleaner. From the "Do You Have a Household Employee?" section, if the housecleaner provides their own tools and supplies, and offers their services to the general public, then they are a self-employed independent contractor and not a household employee.
WhyNotKnow

Post by WhyNotKnow »

I’m considering trying this company.

https://www.handy.com/

If I do I’ll let you know my experience with them.
kacang

Post by kacang »

Get a recommendation from a friend/colleague/neighbor and price it by job, not time.

Ours was recommended by a neighbor. We discussed scope of work (what we want done every visit, occasionally, never), preferred cleaning supplies, pricing. She gave us estimates for different scope of work and frequency. First cleaning visit entailed more work and priced higher, which is fair. We leave a check for each visit that she/her crew would pick up. Crew size varies from 1 to 4, thus time needed to do the job varies. We're out and don't see the crew most of the time, but she/they have a dedicated code to our keypad which is changed occasionally. We tip a month's payment at Christmas.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

manatee2005 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:58 am
No. Why does it strike you as sexist?
It’s just as easy to say “cleaner” or “housekeeper” as “cleaning lady,” but I leave this argument for someone else. For the record, I had a “manny” once taking care of my kids, because nanny rolls off the tongue much better than “child caregiver.”

I use Venmo to pay my cleaners. When we moved into the house, a mother & daughter gave the house a deep clean. I pay them well, and do not give a holiday bonus.

ETA: thanks to horsefly for catching my error on Venmo/Vendio.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:54 am I use Vendio to pay my cleaners. When we moved into the house, a mother & daughter gave the house a deep clean. I pay them well, and do not give a holiday bonus.
Do you really mean Vendio, or do you mean Venmo? I don't see how Vendio plays here.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Horsefly wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:54 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:54 am I use Vendio to pay my cleaners. When we moved into the house, a mother & daughter gave the house a deep clean. I pay them well, and do not give a holiday bonus.
Do you really mean Vendio, or do you mean Venmo? I don't see how Vendio plays here.
Yes. Insufficiently caffeinated. Venmo it is. I will fix my earlier post.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

We pay our cleaning lady $150, and she's usually there for 5-7 hours. She's kinda insane about how thorough she is, and we pay her with cash. I trust her to report the income appropriately. My wife empties the kitchen sink of dishes, puts away the laundry, and clears the counters. We don't have any knick knacks, but with 3 tiny humans my wife likes to get the counters clutter-free once a month. :P

(And no, it's not sexist to call someone a cleaning lady, just like gentleman is not sexist.)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

Texanbybirth wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:40 am We pay our cleaning lady $150, and she's usually there for 5-7 hours. She's kinda insane about how thorough she is, and we pay her with cash. I trust her to report the income appropriately. My wife empties the kitchen sink of dishes, puts away the laundry, and clears the counters. We don't have any knick knacks, but with 3 tiny humans my wife likes to get the counters clutter-free once a month. :P

(And no, it's not sexist to call someone a cleaning lady, just like gentleman is not sexist.)
It does not work like that:
https://www.thebalance.com/preparing-to ... ax-3544887
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

Double Dog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:20 am
fortunefavored wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:00 pm You are required to withhold employment taxes if you pay out over $2200/year.

From a cursory read of that IRS document, it sounds to me like you would not be responsible for withholding employment taxes for a typical housecleaner. From the "Do You Have a Household Employee?" section, if the housecleaner provides their own tools and supplies, and offers their services to the general public, then they are a self-employed independent contractor and not a household employee.
So make sure the cleaner is keeping receipts to prove they are supplying their own mops, buckets, and cleaning supplies. I also made sure I had copies of texts where she set the day she could come and the time. I made sure our house cleaner files their taxes. I pay them well so I did not mind asking these questions.
Last edited by Blueskies123 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Blueskies123 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:45 am
Texanbybirth wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:40 am We pay our cleaning lady $150, and she's usually there for 5-7 hours. She's kinda insane about how thorough she is, and we pay her with cash. I trust her to report the income appropriately. My wife empties the kitchen sink of dishes, puts away the laundry, and clears the counters. We don't have any knick knacks, but with 3 tiny humans my wife likes to get the counters clutter-free once a month. :P

It does not work like that:
https://www.thebalance.com/preparing-to ... ax-3544887
But by my math we're under the $2,000 limit in the article you linked, and will be under the 2020 limit in the Pub it links. ($150 x 12 = $1,800.) Am I missing something? :?:
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

We use independent contractors and pay at the time of service.
Had a women we liked and trusted at our last house who came every 2 weeks. We moved to a bigger house, she said I have to raise my rate which we understood. However, it was getting too expensive. Found the women who was cleaning for the previous owner of the new house who was just a little less expensive but happy to come every 3 weeks, so we went with her after giving our previous housekeeper right of refusal.
She said, I have customers waiting for a slot to open up so we made the change. I still see her occasionally as she also cleans my daughters house and my daughter hooked her up with one of her friends too, so we didn't feel bad about making the change.

As others have said, we do a large amount of housekeeping before the house keeper comes just so she can focus on the big things like the floors. I have all the dishes done, my wife picks up all the clutter and I even time doing the laundry the day before she arrives- just because.

Final comment- I like continuity of service as you have to trust the people who are in your home, sometimes when we are not there. I don't like having a constantly changing staff or helpers.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I pay $100 cash per visit for a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house in the DC Metro area. I used to pay her by check, but noticed she took it to a check cashing place which I figured charged her for the service, so started paying cash so she would keep the full amount.
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

Just me and my wife.

We clean up our own home for free but thats just me.
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Trism wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 am
bungalow10 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:08 am I used to have a man clean my house. Cleaning it's just something "ladies" do.
Silly labels.

We have a husband/wife team that cleans our house. Both the husband and the wife refer to the husband as a cleaning lady.

When we visit New York, we don't pretend we're staying in Personhattan.
Bad analogy, but I suspect you are trying to play dumb.. or just bad at humor.

Do we need a separate thread to talk about how to pay the cleaning gentleman? Are there different expectations depending on the gender of the person cleaning? Or would it be more appropriate to remove gender from the title and content of this post?
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Topic Author
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

bungalow10 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:57 pm Or would it be more appropriate to remove gender from the title and content of this post?
I am not changing the title of the post. As I noted above, I plan to hire a cleaning lady, that is a person of the female gender who cleans.
gehrig

Post by gehrig »

I have had several cleaning "ladies" over the years. I finally found someone who meets my needs. I wanted my house cleaned weekly. I want it deep cleaned with furniture moved and woodwork washed. My current people do this. I keep a very neat house so they don't have to pick up. there ware two women who work for a hour and a half so 3 hours a week total. I pay $80 a week. I pay every week even if I am out of town. I give them a tip at Christmas and my birthday of $100 each. When I was sick they came and made sure I had food in the house and that I was ok. I often leave them small gifts as well. I want to be generous with them. I believe that making sure my cleaning ladies are happy helps insure that they will do their best work. I also believe that someone who cleans your house has intimate knowledge of how you live and I prefer that what they say about me is positive. JMO
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

An off-topic post and reply have been removed (sexist comment regarding "cleaning lady").

The points have been made regarding the gender of the person who will do the cleaning. Let's move on.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RevFran

Post by RevFran »

Just to echo a few points made:
Absolutely pay whatever it takes to start with a deep clean

Absolutely get multiple recommendations from neighbors

Absolutely continue to employ the person in the weeks you are out of town

I think the appropriate xmass present is the equivalent of one session’s salary. I also give a paid off week each summer — I know that’s not standard but to me it feels important to do
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

I pay my cleaning person $30/hour for 3 hours. She supplies all cleaning supplies, etc. She knows what I want done, although I leave a note if I'm not there (she has a key). She comes every 2 weeks.

Some things she does every time, such as changing the sheets in the master bedroom, cleaning the kitchen floor, the master bathroom. If I've had guests, I ask her to clean the guest bath and change the sheets in the guest bedroom. If she does that, then she doesn't clean and mop the sun porch or dust the living room and dining room so it all works out. I pick up clutter and have the dishes in the dishwasher.

She has worked for me for about 10 years and started out at $25/hour. I tip her $50 at Christmas. I leave a check for her each time.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:40 pm
jumppilot wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:32 pm Our cleaning man comes once a month.
What? No gentleman? :happy
Actually, the masculine form of lady is lord. If cleaning lord sounds funny, so may cleaning lady - cleaner is fine, thank you. Just pay a fair wage, etc.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Doing a deep clean the first time around might be worth it. I don't think it's a good idea to tell them to clean what they choose to. It's actually pretty hard to clean everything in 3 hours if you do a good job, even with a small space. There's so much to do. It helps to tell them what you care most about.

When we did something like this for my future MIL, we told the cleaners we hired the top priority was making sure the bathrooms - floors, walls, surfaces, everything, was crazy clean. Didn't matter how much time they took - just do it! They only had a bit of left over time to clean windows during that session.

It's different for different people, so it might differ for you. Having spotless bathrooms makes me happy.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Caduceus wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:04 pm Doing a deep clean the first time around might be worth it. I don't think it's a good idea to tell them to clean what they choose to. It's actually pretty hard to clean everything in 3 hours if you do a good job, even with a small space. There's so much to do. It helps to tell them what you care most about.

It's different for different people, so it might differ for you. Having spotless bathrooms makes me happy.
Our cleaners insisted on an intense deep clean the first time; otherwise they possibly would not have taken the job.

They have been with us almost two years, and adjust what they’re working on based on what’s being renovated. I gave them a copy of the renovation schedule. We have a guest bedroom and two bedrooms that are infrequently used (college), so when their workload is lighter, they work harder elsewhere. I’m an immigrant myself, and don’t want to get political, but we replaced the prior owner’s American cleaner with an immigrant cleaner; there’s something to be said for immigrant’s appreciation of opportunity and fair treatment.

As much to make their lives better as for us, our renovations included wall mounted Toto washlet toilets that “prepare” the bowl for waste. That, and the fact that they’re raised off the floor, make spotless bathrooms easier to achieve. Okay, that sounds more altruistic than we are; we love the toilets over and above how they make cleaning easier 🤣

Our beds are “floating” beds, easier to vacuum under. We have central vac hoses on each floor to make moving them easier.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Double Dog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:20 am

Sounds right to me. However I would verify that they have insurance (Workers Comp and Liability if they damage something) and a State sales tax permit if cleaning services are subject to state sales tax where you live.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

I have had a cleaning service for several years, something I find a necessity particularity when we both worked. We are retired now, same house, kids only visit.
My experience is I prefer hiring an individual rather than a service. I prefer the same person every time who knows my house, my needs, and where everything is. I want them to bring their own supplies so I don't need to shop for it or run out.
When I switched from a service to individual I listed all the things I wanted done, every two weeks, and asked her for a price.
I pay her with a check and giver her one time cleaning fee at Christmas. Since then she retired and I am on my third. She does not do as good a job as the other two, I tell her what she has missed, and she is doing better now. I would rather work with her than start all over.
She cleans the entire house, changes sheets and makes our bed, and guest beds when there are guests. From this thread I realize I pay less than the standard but I also give a larger bonus.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

gehrig wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:48 pm I have had several cleaning "ladies" over the years. I finally found someone who meets my needs. I wanted my house cleaned weekly. I want it deep cleaned with furniture moved and woodwork washed. My current people do this. I keep a very neat house so they don't have to pick up. there ware two women who work for a hour and a half so 3 hours a week total. I pay $80 a week. I pay every week even if I am out of town. I give them a tip at Christmas and my birthday of $100 each. When I was sick they came and made sure I had food in the house and that I was ok. I often leave them small gifts as well. I want to be generous with them. I believe that making sure my cleaning ladies are happy helps insure that they will do their best work. I also believe that someone who cleans your house has intimate knowledge of how you live and I prefer that what they say about me is positive. JMO
Nice.
westie

Post by westie »

$35 an hour...
Aku09

Post by Aku09 »

Hired our first cleaning lady a little less than a year ago. Older lady that I work with who cleans a few houses on the side. Comes once a week in the evenings after work for 3-4 hours and we pay $75. We provide all the cleaning supplies although she has a few tools to clean the hardwood floors that she brings with her. She does a great job and certainly makes our life less stressful.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

We use the same company that a number of neighbors use (it's just one or two crews and a manager I think). We pay $110 for about an hour once a month, and three people show up and do a pretty solid job of keeping the house presentable. That seems to be the going rate for this type of periodic cleaning "maintenance" service for a house.

By maintenance I mean that they aren't doing laundry, dishes, etc. They really just make sure everything is dusted, bathrooms and kitchens cleaned thoroughly, floors mopped, etc. It's on us to keep up the house the rest of the month which is fine, but it's helpful to "reset" to a clean state every so often.
brandy

Post by brandy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:11 pm The larger service companies where I live (MCOL) are $30+/hr. individuals are in the $15-$20/hr range. Maybe more if they have to travel far. Keep in mind the services are licensed and bonded, provide transportation for the crews, the owner has to make a profit, they often provide their own equipment/supplies, verify employment status, etc.
Are YOU paid for getting to work? Nobody ever paid me to get myself to my job site.
If they are charging by distance, hire someone who lives or does business closer.
When I looked for a cleaning person a few years ago, travel time and distance was an extra amount, according to even individuals I talked to. Apparently that was started by the cleaning companies. At that time, I was quoted $90 minimum by both the companies and a few individuals. The companies had all the overhead of course, insurances, taxes, advertising, office, etc. Some individuals charged the same amount, but did NOT have insurances or pay taxes: they were just starting out, after all. One of them worked a mile from me, but would charge me $25 more to drive to my home.
birdy

Post by birdy »

I have been using the same FAMILY of housekeepers for 15 years! Started with the daughter. She opened her own resale shop and ask me if her parents could clean for me. I said sure. Usually the mother/father come and clean for about 2 hours. $80 two times a month. Some times my original housekeeper comes with her Mom and cleans. I don't care as long as they do a good job. I give her double her cleaning rate at Christmas. Once in a while I will go on a trip and ask them not to come. But I usually go ahead and pay them their rate anyway. Has worked well for me and the family!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

brandy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:55 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:11 pm The larger service companies where I live (MCOL) are $30+/hr. individuals are in the $15-$20/hr range. Maybe more if they have to travel far. Keep in mind the services are licensed and bonded, provide transportation for the crews, the owner has to make a profit, they often provide their own equipment/supplies, verify employment status, etc.
Are YOU paid for getting to work? Nobody ever paid me to get myself to my job site.
If they are charging by distance, hire someone who lives or does business closer.
When I looked for a cleaning person a few years ago, travel time and distance was an extra amount, according to even individuals I talked to. Apparently that was started by the cleaning companies. At that time, I was quoted $90 minimum by both the companies and a few individuals. The companies had all the overhead of course, insurances, taxes, advertising, office, etc. Some individuals charged the same amount, but did NOT have insurances or pay taxes: they were just starting out, after all. One of them worked a mile from me, but would charge me $25 more to drive to my home.
Actually, yes I was if I went to client sites. Whatever the IRS reimbursement rate was. It is not like they are going to a central office everyday and there all day. Electricians, plumbers, basically anyone that runs from location to location charges or figures it into their rate.