When to Replace Roof vs. Repair?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
capitalhockey

When to Replace Roof vs. Repair?

Post by capitalhockey »

My roof is about 20 years old. There was a bad storm recently that knocked off a dozen or so shingles. I had some watermarks on my guest BR ceiling. The roofer told me he can replaced missing shingles for about $500. Overall, he said the roof should last another 5 years or so. If I want to replace the roof, he said it would be $5,200. Should I repair roof or just replace entire thing?

Secondly, a friend recommended that I put in a claim in my home insurance since it was wind damaged caused by storm and replace my entire roof. My deductible is $1k so I have to eat repair costs. I am a bit hesitant to do so since I am afraid that might jacked up my home premiums. Have anyone done this with insurance claim?
Sconie

Re: When to Replace Roof vs. Repair?

Post by Sconie »

I'd follow the advice of the roofer and just repair it for the $500----assess it again in a few years from now.

If a professional roofer is saying that it can be repaired----I suspect that it be probable that an evaluation by your insurance carrier would indicate the same thing----repair, not replace. A neighbor of mine lost between 70-80 shingles in a wind storm several years back; he did turn it into his insurance carrier and they paid for replacing only that portion of the roof----about 1/4 of the total roof-----that experienced the wind damage.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

capitalhockey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:39 pm My roof is about 20 years old. There was a bad storm recently that knocked off a dozen or so shingles. I had some watermarks on my guest BR ceiling. The roofer told me he can replaced missing shingles for about $500. Overall, he said the roof should last another 5 years or so. If I want to replace the roof, he said it would be $5,200. Should I repair roof or just replace entire thing?

Secondly, a friend recommended that I put in a claim in my home insurance since it was wind damaged caused by storm and replace my entire roof. My deductible is $1k so I have to eat repair costs. I am a bit hesitant to do so since I am afraid that might jacked up my home premiums. Have anyone done this with insurance claim?
I would replace it. My reasoning is this, he's charging you a tenth of the price for a dozen shingles. The next windstorm comes and there goes another $500. For $5,200 you could have a new roof and another 20-30 years of maintenance free roof. If the roof goes bad, will he warranty his work?
If you do replace it, don't make a claim on insurance, your premiums will go up and you already know the roof is not in good condition, it's almost at the end of its useful life. If you do get the roof replaced, make sure you inform your insurance company your roof is new and to keep the receipts.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I would also replace. We did the patchwork thing about 3-years ago on a 18 year old roof for roughly $900. Fast forward 3 years and we ended up replacing the whole thing after multiple new leaks were discovered. We could have prevented drywall and paint damage inside if we had just replaced it the first time.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Call your insurance company and have them come out and inspect your roof. There's no charge and it won't affect your rates. Ask your roofer to be there with the adjuster, that way he can point out every tiny thing that the adjuster may have missed. My adjuster told me that insurance is more likely to opt to repair a newer roof and replace an older roof.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

capitalhockey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:39 pm My roof is about 20 years old. There was a bad storm recently that knocked off a dozen or so shingles. I had some watermarks on my guest BR ceiling. The roofer told me he can replaced missing shingles for about $500. Overall, he said the roof should last another 5 years or so. If I want to replace the roof, he said it would be $5,200. Should I repair roof or just replace entire thing?

We went through a similar exercise. We did not have any damage to the roof, but it was over 20 years old. We did not want to have to deal with damage first then dealing with leaks, filing a claim etc. and got new roof by just paying for it. I am not sure what the implications would be if you get it replaced through insurance for future policy dues.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

No question for me, I would pay to have it repaired. In similar circumstances that is what I did.

I have never had a roof replaced, and I have owned old houses for > 30 years.
corysold

Post by corysold »

It's certainly worth a call to the insurance about it. In the event they replace the roof for you instead of repair it, you save $4,200. Even if your rates go up 10%, which potentially might happen after a claim, that's what, $100-150/year? You have a new roof for $1,000 upfront and $100/year for 30 years. You still come out way ahead.

To answer your second question, we are literally going through this right now. We had a leak in the roof a few months ago. Had the insurance come out to discuss the options to fix it, not thinking they'd buy the whole roof. A few weeks later we had a settlement for a new roof and repair of the inside damage.
Uniballer

Post by Uniballer »

I had some shingles break during a wind storm a few years ago. I had some matching shingles and went up to make repairs but it soon became obvious that most of the shingles had no resiliency left (i.e. they were too brittle). I finished my repairs and started getting quotes to tear off and replace the roof.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One factor to consider is what your local climate is like.

In many parts of the country doing a full roof replacement in February could be a mess.
as9

Post by as9 »

As someone who just faced a similar decision (though no storm damage; just age), we opted to replace. A roof that is past the 20 year mark could easily have ongoing issues.

I've also become very sensitive to potential water damage due to some other issues we've had. The possibility of water damage, particularly one that goes unnoticed for awhile, keeps me up at night way more than anything that could happen in the market.
ICMoney

Post by ICMoney »

What are your neighbors doing? Do you see a bunch of roofer signs being placed in their yards? If so your neighborhood is likely on the radar of roofers as a part of this storm event, and they know insurers will pay out.

Our roof is getting replaced due to a storm event now. I would suggest if you file a claim having the roofer (or other general contractor you trust) on site while the insurance adjuster is inspecting the damage. The adjuster can miss a lot and will likely low-ball the initial claim. Case in point, the adjuster first came out on our claim and said $8K in damage. Once the contractor came out they said it was way low, asked the adjuster to come out again and after tons of back and forth the insurer has paid out $80K for the same claim that was only supposed to be $8K. Part of this was due to initially the insurer wanted to patch only part of the roof, but someone pushed back about that not being appropriate and the insurer then agreed to replacing the entire roof. Our contractor said regardless of whether the claim is $8K or $80K it affects our future rates the same (i.e. homeowners insurance rates are based on the incidence of claim, not the severity).

Best, ICM
IMO

Post by IMO »

corysold wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:58 pm It's certainly worth a call to the insurance about it. In the event they replace the roof for you instead of repair it, you save $4,200. Even if your rates go up 10%, which potentially might happen after a claim, that's what, $100-150/year? You have a new roof for $1,000 upfront and $100/year for 30 years. You still come out way ahead.

To answer your second question, we are literally going through this right now. We had a leak in the roof a few months ago. Had the insurance come out to discuss the options to fix it, not thinking they'd buy the whole roof. A few weeks later we had a settlement for a new roof and repair of the inside damage.
I have a hard time putting my head around what actually happens to one's homeowner's rates when one makes a claim. Things don't seem to make sense, for example, some say the dollar amount of the claim doesn't matter, it's just the fact that a claim was made, period. It seems that at times people on this site are reporting incidents of significant premium increases, often for no apparent reason. There is the claim history report or CLUE report which can affect rates, and there is something called the LexisNexis Insurance Score which just seems like a manipulative way to come up with credit scores that seems to be a go around to find some factors against people who have excellent credit scores.

He's a link to an apparent expert discussing the concept of should one make a claim or not:
https://www.uphelp.org/pubs/claim-or-no ... id-shaffer

What I also can't wrap my head around is this concept that the insurance company will replace one's roof with a new roof, even if the roof is very old and has used up much of it's useful life. Seems odd that it's not prorated? Kinda of like getting a brand new car covered if you totaled your 15 year old car. It's like the insurance company never asked themselves, "why are we not pro-rating all these roofs we are replacing?"

None of it makes sense to me.
mushripu

Post by mushripu »

I am in a similar situation. There was a storm last may in my area. I was approached by at least two roofing company 'business development' reps to offer free inspection and to file wind and hail damage claim. They were saying we can get a free roof.

I looked at my HO policy and it states that only a depreciated value of the roof would be paid out for repair or replace + 1 thousand deductible. Aftet 19×4 = 76 percent depreciation and 1000 deductible, i donot know if insurance would pay anything. My roof is 19 years old. I went into attic and checked for leaks. It looks ok. No leaks visible. From ouside i donot see any missing shingles. So immediate repair is not required methinks. But those guys have made me feel very insecure re the condition of roof. This is my first house and limited ownership experience. I see 3 neighbors houses with roofing company signs. I wonder if i need roof replacement now or after 3/4 years.

I refused the 'free' inspection from roofing company. I know their conclusion. They are biased to get the replacement work and their report would say replace immediately.

I asked for ball park figure and they gave 10-12k as replacement cost estimate. I have refused to let anyone climb on me roof yet.
Last edited by mushripu on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mushripu

Post by mushripu »

as9 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:36 pm As someone who just faced a similar decision (though no storm damage; just age), we opted to replace. A roof that is past the 20 year mark could easily have ongoing issues.

I've also become very sensitive to potential water damage due to some other issues we've had. The possibility of water damage, particularly one that goes unnoticed for awhile, keeps me up at night way more than anything that could happen in the market.
My roof is 19 years old and looks old. I checked every place and visually did not see any leaks. When i bought this house last year, there was inspection by third party inspector paid by me. That one looked at roof using drone from outside and went into attic as well. He gave estimate of remaining life of roof as 5to8 years.

My question suppose there are hidden leaks and i wait until i see visible leaks, what additional cost i would incur? When i see visible leak, i shall replace/repair.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

Some states have "matching" laws that require the insurer to replace the entire roof if they can't match the existing shingles. I don't know whether insurance premiums and/or roofing prices tend to be higher in those states, but if you are in one of those states, it might be worth looking into. Check your insurance policy too, of course.
Last edited by snailderby on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trism

Post by Trism »

mushripu wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:43 am I looked at my HO policy and it states that only a depreciated value of the roof would be paid out for repair or replace + 1 thousand deductible. Aftet 19×4 = 76 percent depreciation and 1000 deductible, i donot know if insurance would pay anything. My roof is 19 years old.
My impression is that this is pretty standard for insurance coverage on a roof, but I've never actually checked our policy. Our roof is relatively new (the previous owners replaced it).
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

capitalhockey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:39 pm Should I repair roof or just replace entire thing?

I am a bit hesitant to do so since I am afraid that might jacked up my home premiums. Have anyone done this with insurance claim?
As shingle roofs age, the shingles become more brittle and more susceptible to breaking in wind events which is why I would recommend replacing the entire roof versus repair on a roof of that age. Also, there are a few other things that can go wrong on trying to patch 20 year old shingles that can create further problems down the road.

As for the insurance question, I always call up my agent and ask him directly. He has always given me advice on the likelihood of premium increases and how the company figures these sorts of things. He has always been spot on with his advice too. As he always says, the advice is free and nothing goes into my record until he files the actual claim.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Wow $5200, you must live in a tiny (footprint) house. I think most dog houses would cost more to re-roof today. My house is 1 story 1500-ish sq. ft and even a decade ago the cheapest estimates (of seven or eight) were close to $10k. Insurance ended up paying over $10k, with a $2k deductible (would be a much higher deductible now.) I would pay the $5200 before somebody figures out they left off the leading digit.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

A roof does not have to be leaking to be replaced under insurance.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Luke Duke wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 am A roof does not have to be leaking to be replaced under insurance.
Right, however, there typically needs to be extensive damage to the vast majority of, if not the entire roof----damage resulting from, for example, a severe hail storm would be one such example.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I would replace the roof, and upgrade it to lifetime synthetic solid shingles, tile, metal, or other, if I planned to stay in the house a long time.
And, call the insurance company to file a wind damage claim, or other claim, they might at least cover a percentage of the costs of a new roof.

A roof is one of those things were compromises don't usually work out well.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

We had wind damage, was able to relplace the whole roof. Your roof is in its final stages if it only has 5 more years left. Get it done right. Rip of all the shingles check for damage to the plywood, make sure there is ice water dam in the places it needs to be and have a quality roof for the next 30 years. Great time to get rid of skylights when redoing the roof. we got rid of 3 of them. Insurance did not go up.
-ryan-

Post by -ryan- »

We chased leaks around for 3 years on a roof about the same age before we replaced but our repairs were much cheaper and our replacement was over $10,000. In your situation and with your quotes I would replace.
Topic Author
capitalhockey

Post by capitalhockey »

I just met with another roofer today. He recommended a replacement instead of $600 to fix. He gave me a quote for $4700. They are running a winter promotion for an upgraded composite material for 50 yr shingles for this price (savings of about $500) over the standard material. There was also an optional ultimate flashing pipe for $70. My townhouse is an 3 story end unit that absorb a lot of wind. The upgraded material is suppose to be more wind resistance as well. The current roof is the original ones that the builder put in so I am pretty sure it's not the best material.

I am strongly leaning with replacement for peace of mind. This is my 2nd leak in 5 years. The last one cost me $400 to replace the damaged shingles and another $500 to replace the drywall with water damage. This current issue will cost me $600 to replace shingles and probably another $500 for the damaged drywall in the guest BR.

Do you recommend installing new shingles on top of old shingles or ripping out the old ones?
as9

Post by as9 »

I would definitely replace and have them rip off the old shingles since you've had two leaks. That way they can check all of the boards and replace any that have water damage. This is the last time you'll ever have to think about your roof if you do it right.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

With a 20-year old roof, I would want an evaluation of the sheathing also -- not just the shingles. Slow leaks over the years can lead to rot and mold.

If you live in an earthquake or high-wind area, I would also want to make certain that h-clips were installed -- they weren't very common 20 years ago. Some insurance companies may give a discount if they're installed.

Fortified Home publishes re-roof checklists that you may wish to peruse: https://fortifiedhome.org/homeowners/.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

would love to live where you do. Bought house 2 yrs ago, knew roof was bad, but too soon after Hurricane for Insurance to let seller claim. We waited 2 yrs and filed claim, 23 yr old roof - wind damage. Insurance came through, $26,000. (did the GAF 50 yr warranty shingles). We were out about $3, 000. File the claim, but have a good roofer meet with the adjuster at the time. Makes a world of difference. Oh, our detached garage/patio roof did not have wind damage, so was not covered. Roofer did it all the amount from Insurance, plus our portion. Roofs normally last about 15 years in Texas.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 am Wow $5200, you must live in a tiny (footprint) house. I think most dog houses would cost more to re-roof today. My house is 1 story 1500-ish sq. ft and even a decade ago the cheapest estimates (of seven or eight) were close to $10k. Insurance ended up paying over $10k, with a $2k deductible (would be a much higher deductible now.) I would pay the $5200 before somebody figures out they left off the leading digit.
My house is 2500sq ft footprint, with 34 squares roof. I paid $12k for a new roof 2.5 years ago in Los Angeles, which I consider HCOL.

I also had a quote for $60k to do the same work. So I guess there is some variability in pricing. :mrgreen:
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

My "general" rule of thumb on home repair/replacement is if the repair is 25% of the replacement, then replace it. I was at first leaning to you just repairing the roof, but since this is your second leak in a few years and after adding in drywall repairs, I'd replace it.

I'd replace it down to the roof "decking." Might as well do it right and all the way. That will expose any decking which might be rotted. Also, I have a roof which is approaching its end of life and decking nails are now popping up as the shingles are getting brittle.

As pointed out above, be sure the new roof can be put down this time of year. I have seen tarps on homes here in Va. where the roofers are waiting for warmer weather before replacing the entire roof. When I asked my roofer, he said his product are not warranted if the shingles are put down in cold weather. They require a special adhesive for cold weather and it requires skill to judge the correct amount...too much and you can damage the shingle. Of course this is with traditional shingles, I am also considering a metal roof.

I also noticed on one shingle manufacturer's website, can't remember which one, that they don't honor their warranty if the installers have not attended their training. Not sure if that is universal among all of them.

Also, check for any lawsuits against the shingle manufacturer. GAF settled a class action lawsuit on shingles made between 1999 and 2009; not sure if there is anything going on among the others.

Roofing prices are crazy. My nephew, who can sell anything, had one company bid on his roof. They sent out two people who tried to hard sell him a new roof (about 2,000 sq. feet with several valleys, two story house). The starting quote was almost $30,000. By the time they were done with him, or I should say he was done with them, he had them down to about $9,000. They did a beautiful job. So there is a lot of room to negotiate on high quotes.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Get the new roof, hands down. You absolutely should get rid of the old shingles.

Also make sure you get a price for new decking (the plywood underneath the shingles). They may come across sheets that are rotting and need to be replaced. I forget exactly what I paid per piece (4ft x 8ft). It may have been in the $75 range per. I believe they threw in the first 3 for "free." You don't want new shingles on top of rotted decking.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Two leaks in 5 years:

Replace, and strip down to bare roof and replace any suspect roofing boards.

I am surprised at the $5200. I spent that on materials alone doing it myself, but maybe I have a
larger home. If you live in a climate where you get snow, make sure that you get membrane put down
at the bottom of the root so that up don't get ice dams, which can cause leaks. I put it in the roof valleys
as well, as that is a point where leaks can happen.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

ours took 90 pack of shingles, with the detached patio/small garage. Oh, and we got a call from Insurance when it was completed, and they lowered our premium, since we now had a new roof!
dmk395

Post by dmk395 »

Do a complete re-roof. New roof will also raise the value of your property. Roofs are done very different than 25 yrs ago. Architectural shingles last longer, ice and water shield is put down etc. I recently had shingles blow off, then they kept blowing off and ruined a ceiling. Wish I'd just replaced after the first few came off! Lesson learned.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

20 year old roof, only $5,200? I would replace.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

unclescrooge wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 am
tibbitts wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 am Wow $5200, you must live in a tiny (footprint) house. I think most dog houses would cost more to re-roof today. My house is 1 story 1500-ish sq. ft and even a decade ago the cheapest estimates (of seven or eight) were close to $10k. Insurance ended up paying over $10k, with a $2k deductible (would be a much higher deductible now.) I would pay the $5200 before somebody figures out they left off the leading digit.
My house is 2500sq ft footprint, with 34 squares roof. I paid $12k for a new roof 2.5 years ago in Los Angeles, which I consider HCOL.

I also had a quote for $60k to do the same work. So I guess there is some variability in pricing. :mrgreen:
Yes, once I got, I think, seven estimates for hvac: one was half what all the others were. It was the last one. You have to cut the estimates off at some point, especially if you work and you need to be home for the estimates (as is typical with hvac, maybe not a roof.) Same with some electrical work I had done once. I'd be curious how many roofing estimates most people get: 5, 10, 100? Even then maybe that 101st would be the magic 50% less than the rest. My seven or eight roof estimates a decade ago ranged from about $7k to maybe $13k, but once insurance finally agreed to pay (it was a struggle), I lost interest since the roof would cost me about $2k no matter what.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:58 am
unclescrooge wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 am

Yes, once I got, I think, seven estimates for hvac: one was half what all the others were. It was the last one. You have to cut the estimates off at some point, especially if you work and you need to be home for the estimates (as is typical with hvac, maybe not a roof.) Same with some electrical work I had done once. I'd be curious how many roofing estimates most people get: 5, 10, 100? Even then maybe that 101st would be the magic 50% less than the rest. My seven or eight roof estimates a decade ago ranged from about $7k to maybe $13k, but once insurance finally agreed to pay (it was a struggle), I lost interest since the roof would cost me about $2k no matter what.
I got 4 quotes for the roof and 11 for the HVAC. There was a lot more variety in proposed solutions for HVAC and it was educational. Replacing HVAC on a different house, I reused the previous company, got one other quote, and then negotiated pricing with the first one again.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Sure, check with the insurance company; then do a total replacement. I've never made it 20 years.
Get 3 quotes...but you already knew that. You'll learn a lot from talking to 3 contractors.
I wish that the last time that I replaced my roof that I would have insisted on inspecting the bare roof after the tear off....so I could check the bare roof with my own eyes.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

based on personal experience:

replace the entire roof (rather than wait for another roof failure - like more shingles loose).

tear-down/off old roof down to the wood (even if it costs a little more).

roof is one of the most important components of a house; don't compromise.

good luck!
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:50 pm No question for me, I would pay to have it repaired. In similar circumstances that is what I did.

I have never had a roof replaced, and I have owned old houses for > 30 years.
Do you also happen to live in an overcast but bone dry and windless desert?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:43 am I would replace the roof, and upgrade it to lifetime synthetic solid shingles, tile, metal, or other, if I planned to stay in the house a long time.
And, call the insurance company to file a wind damage claim, or other claim, they might at least cover a percentage of the costs of a new roof.

A roof is one of those things were compromises don't usually work out well.
j :happy
Are solid tiles what they tend to use over in Europe? Whatever that type of material is, it seems so much more substantial than asphalt shingles.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Tortoise2030

Post by Tortoise2030 »

Yes, I would tear off the three-tab? shingles you have and replace with architectural shingles (either GAF or Certainteed). I just had a 20-year old roof replaced in the summer with GAF Timberline HD shingles. I, too, own a three-story townhouse and I paid about $5,500. (I think it was about 12 squares?) I'm very happy I went with the new roof. I'm no longer worried when the wind blows. Oh, and if that $75 boot is the one that is guaranteed to last for a long time - I would get it. I think my vent boots (or whatever they are) were cheap and I'm worried about them cracking in ten years.

I paid out of pocket, but my bro-in-law had a roofing company file a claim and they paid for all except the deductible. I know a lot of people at work that have had roofs replaced and their insurance didn't go up (because wind/hail damage is an act of God?) Anyway, like another poster stated, if you pay all out of pocket (like I did), get a new quote before your yearly insurance premium is due because I ended up saving about $70 on my yearly premium.