Computer/internet/DNS(?) problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newbie003

Computer/internet/DNS(?) problem

Post by newbie003 »

Hi. For the past week or so I've been having internet issues. All of a sudden I can't browse to new websites. Currently opened tabs work just fine (and I can fully browse those sites), I just can't go to new sites (whether in an existing tab or a new tab).

Tried multiple browsers and that's not the problem.

Changed my DNS to 1.1.1.1 and that didn't fix it.

Tried flushing DNS via cmd prompt in admin mode.

Only rebooting fixes the problem (for a day or two at a time, then it happens again).

Happens on both wifi and connected via lan.

No other devices have any issues in my house.

I use the eero mesh wifi system (I also tried changing the dns there to 1.1.1.1 and it hasn't helped).

When I'm having issues email (gmail) continues to send/receive just fine using Thunderbird pop.

I can ping a website (i.e. google.com) just fine. A tracert does time out over a few steps but eventually completes.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
bloom2708

Re: Computer/internet/DNS(?) problem

Post by bloom2708 »

Did you reboot the modem? Cable or DSL?

Did you try bypassing the Wi-Fi router? Try a direct cable from the modem. Cables are often the problem, but if Wi-Fi also, then probably not the cable.

Have to narrow it down. Service itself, modem, router or PC.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:57 am Did you reboot the modem? Cable or DSL?

Did you try bypassing the Wi-Fi router? Try a direct cable from the modem.

Have to narrow it down. Service itself, modem, router or PC.
I have not rebooted the cable modem or eero router, as no other devices in the house have had any issues (actually, the eero rebooted after I updated the DNS to 1.1.1.1).

The next time this happens (probably tomorrow based on the history of the issue) I will reboot the modem and router and see if that helps.

I can also try to connect directly to the modem.

Again though, all other devices in the house (so, so many) are just fine, so I don't think it's the modem/router, it seems to just be my computer.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Is this Windows or Mac? What version? You say you have tried multiple browsers - which ones?

Are you running any kind of security/antivirus software? If so, open the control panel for that software and see if it is reporting any alerts.

I would suggest setting up a second userid on your computer and your computer and see if you still have problems when signed on to the second id.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

Have you tried pinging a website that won't load in your browser, and assuming you get a response, using the IP address that responded in your browser's address bar? That is to say, have you tried loading a website by IP address rather than by URL?

Have you released and renewed your IP address with: "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" in your command prompt? Have you done a DNS flush with: "ipconfig /dnsflush" in your command prompt?
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

This is a weird one! When you say you can "fully browse those sites" of an open tab, what do you mean? That you can click all links and they work, but that typing in a new URL does not? If so, have you tried clicking links on an existing tab that redirect to a different domain? Does it work?

The fact that no other devices have issues means it's probably not your router, though it could be a config issue.

The fact that you can ping google.com when nothing else works means it's not a DNS issue (ping resolves the IP before starting).

Tracert timing out in a few steps is normal--just means that router is not available to ping.

I'm leaning toward it being some sort of OS issue, or malware/spyware. Be sure to check for those.

Another thing to try: When things stop working in your browser, try using PowerShell to grab a website, via the command "Invoke-WebRequest -OutFile index.html http://bogleheads.org" (or sub your favorite website). If an index.html shows up in your home folder (C:\Users\<username>\), then you can grab HTML files, and the problem is somewhere in your browser(s).
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I would download the latest version of (free) ADWCleaner.

Run and see what it finds.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Maybe there's a browser extension interfering with normal operation?
Try disabling all extensions (using an incognito/private window usually does this) and browsing to a new site.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Sounds like a virus or malware. Download and run malware bytes, hitman pro and adwcleaner.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Trying to answer as many of the above question as I can:
  • I'll try a second user ID, that's a good idea
  • I run MalwareBytes and Avast. No issues that I can see. I will temporarily turn them both off next time I have an issue, to see if it clears the issue
  • I have not released/renewed the IP, but have done a DNS flush. I will try the IP release/renew next time
  • I haven't tried accessing a website by the IP address, other than trying to go to 1.1.1.1, which didn't work
  • I will attempt the powershell website grab
  • What I mean by fully browsing sites in open/existing tabs, is that I can use an open tab to the full extent, for whatever site it is on. I can't get that same site to work in a new tab, and I can't get another site to work in that same tab. For example, if I'm in gmail.com (always have that open in a tab), I can send/receive, search, etc...
    If I have my bank open in a tab, I can login in, check accounts, etc... as if nothing was wrong at all. I have not tried linking from a working site to a different site in a tab, but will test that.
  • I don't think it's a browser extension issue, as the problem persists in incognito mode, and happens across Chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox and Opera
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

In your original post, you said "All of a sudden I can't browse to new websites." What does that mean exactly? (Sorry if you posted it earlier, I didn't see it.) Does the browser (1) display an error message (and what is it?) or (2) simply the page doesn't appear with no error message?

One more thing to try: use the browser debugger and see if there are any messages/clues to go on. If you're using Windows, open up Chrome and press F12 on the keyboard. That will open up the debugger on the bottom of the window. Click on the "Console" tab. Then enter the web site you want to browse to in the browser's address bar. Take note of anything in the "Console" tab.
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

newbie003 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:23 pm happens across Chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox and Opera
Which leads me to guess a Windows machine. Have you tried Troubleshooting DNS clients | Microsoft Docs?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

sycamore wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:37 pm In your original post, you said "All of a sudden I can't browse to new websites." What does that mean exactly? (Sorry if you posted it earlier, I didn't see it.) Does the browser (1) display an error message (and what is it?) or (2) simply the page doesn't appear with no error message?

One more thing to try: use the browser debugger and see if there are any messages/clues to go on. If you're using Windows, open up Chrome and press F12 on the keyboard. That will open up the debugger on the bottom of the window. Click on the "Console" tab. Then enter the web site you want to browse to in the browser's address bar. Take note of anything in the "Console" tab.
When this happens, and I can't browse anywhere, basically nothing happens in the browser. Eventually (in Chrome) a pop-up occurs asking if I want to wait or kill the 'something'. I don't recall what message appears in other browsers, but essentially nothing happens when I try to browse anywhere. I'll take better notes next time it happens. I also know that at the bottom of the browser it says "Looking up www.google.com" for example, before it 'times out' and gives me the error of wanting to wait or kill the 'whatever'.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Create a hotspot on your phone and try connecting to it to see if you get the same issue. Or if it's a laptop you could try connecting to another network (e.g., a hotspot at Starbucks). That will help isolate it to the network or the PC.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 pm
newbie003 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:23 pm happens across Chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox and Opera
Which leads me to guess a Windows machine. Have you tried Troubleshooting DNS clients | Microsoft Docs?
Yes, sorry, Windows 10. I'll try this URL next time it happens. Thanks!
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

02nz wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:13 pm Create a hotspot on your phone and try connecting to it to see if you get the same issue. Or if it's a laptop you could try connecting to another network (e.g., a hotspot at Starbucks). That will help isolate it to the network or the PC.
Good idea. I will connect it via my phone hotspot and see what happens (next time I have an issue).
Winston19

Post by Winston19 »

Try connecting to the eero via ethernet and also to your router via ethernet. If the eero works via ethernet it is probably wifi related. If the eero doesn't work but your router does it is probably eero related. If neither work it is probably computer related.

Eero support is also helpful. If you use eero secure try turning off ad blocking and the other functions.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

Turn all devices off. Turn on modem, router, etc.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

newbie003 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:23 pm
  • I run MalwareBytes and Avast. No issues that I can see. I will temporarily turn them both off next time I have an issue, to see if it clears the issue
I have read recent articles about Avast collecting info. For example, Avast is reportedly selling users' web browsing data.

To do that it would presumably need to "call home" to the mother ship. The point being, that is an internet activity that you may not be aware of and has potential for hanging things up.

Lots of guesses here! Take with a grain of salt.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
toast0

Post by toast0 »

This sounds like it could possibly be an MTU issue. I don't know why it would affect only one computer on your network, but some of the symptoms line up --- especially that some sites work, and some don't.

In the US, this is most often an issue on DSL based connections, where it's common to have an MTU of 1492 instead of Ethernet's typical/default MTU of 1500.

I'm not sure of great tools for this, but I did find a site that will ping your IP to see what size packets make it through. And another site that seems to show the outbound TCP settings that should indicate what your computer is sending. If the first one says your effective MTU is 1492, and the second one is saying you're sending a MTU of 1500, you may want to check that your DHCP server is sending the right information.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

did this follow a Windows 10 update by any chance?

sounds like the type of issue that would occur w/ one of their famed updates.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

toast0 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:03 pm This sounds like it could possibly be an MTU issue. I don't know why it would affect only one computer on your network, but some of the symptoms line up --- especially that some sites work, and some don't.

In the US, this is most often an issue on DSL based connections, where it's common to have an MTU of 1492 instead of Ethernet's typical/default MTU of 1500.

I'm not sure of great tools for this, but I did find a site that will ping your IP to see what size packets make it through. And another site that seems to show the outbound TCP settings that should indicate what your computer is sending. If the first one says your effective MTU is 1492, and the second one is saying you're sending a MTU of 1500, you may want to check that your DHCP server is sending the right information.
Just to confirm, when the issue happens, NO sites work (it's not that some do and some don't). What does work, is ANY/ALL websites in currently opened tabs. Those work fine. But I can't get any site at all to work in a new tab/browser.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

F150HD wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:16 pm did this follow a Windows 10 update by any chance?

sounds like the type of issue that would occur w/ one of their famed updates.
I'm not sure of the exact timing as it relates, but yes, I believe I did succumb to a Win 10 update in the past week or so.
Peculiar_Investor

Many moons ago when I was chasing a network connectivity problem to a site I found Download PingPlotter | PingPlotter, which provides a graphic trace route that might be helpful to diagnose and resolve the problem. I would start it up when I started browsing and let it run in the background. When I ran into connectivity issues, I could bring it up and it would help isolate the source of the problem.

There is a free trial version available.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Pegasus_RPG

Post by Pegasus_RPG »

newbie003 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:39 pm Just to confirm, when the issue happens, NO sites work (it's not that some do and some don't). What does work, is ANY/ALL websites in currently opened tabs. Those work fine. But I can't get any site at all to work in a new tab/browser.
That's really strange and suggests a browser issue. They sometimes do their own internal DNS caching.

I haven't read everything up-thread, but does a different browser exhibit the same problem while its happening in the one? Have you tried setting the DNS servers on your computer to 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8 or whatever else you like and see if it fixes it? If so, what are the DNS servers the DHCP server on your router is handing out? (check with

Code: Select all

ipconfig /all
at a Windows command prompt.)
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Pegasus_RPG wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:00 pm
newbie003 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:39 pm Just to confirm, when the issue happens, NO sites work (it's not that some do and some don't). What does work, is ANY/ALL websites in currently opened tabs. Those work fine. But I can't get any site at all to work in a new tab/browser.
That's really strange and suggests a browser issue. They sometimes do their own internal DNS caching.

I haven't read everything up-thread, but does a different browser exhibit the same problem while its happening in the one? Have you tried setting the DNS servers on your computer to 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8 or whatever else you like and see if it fixes it? If so, what are the DNS servers the DHCP server on your router is handing out? (check with

ipconfig /all
at a Windows command prompt.)
It happens across all browsers (Chrome, IE, Ffox, Opera, Edge), so I don't think it's a browser issue.

I changed my DNS to 1.1.1.1 and it hasn't helped

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1
Bitzer

Post by Bitzer »

Perhaps try a Winsock reset in addition to the DNS flush. "Forget" your Wifi first and do a restart after each step
Winston19

Post by Winston19 »

If you are using eero secure with adblock on it may be overriding your DNS settings.
dcare

Post by dcare »

You do seem to have executed some browsing on the open browser/tab sessions. Could you please double check and make sure that the open browser tabs/sessions are not using cached pages.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Winston19 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 pm If you are using eero secure with adblock on it may be overriding your DNS settings.
I'm not using eero secure so I don't think that's the issue. Plus, all other devices work, it's only my 1 computer, so I don't think it's an eero issue.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

dcare wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 pm You do seem to have executed some browsing on the open browser/tab sessions. Could you please double check and make sure that the open browser tabs/sessions are not using cached pages.
Definitely not cached pages. I can fully navigate around QuickBooks online, go to new/different sections (even change companies). I can also fully send/receive emails on the gmail website, and I can even fully navigate a bank website (pull up history, old statements, etc... all items that I was definitely not doing earlier/aren't cached).
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

So it just happened again this minute. All has been fine since yesterday's reboot. I've been working all morning. I opened a new tab to do something else and now it's broken.

Yet I'm able to send this as I'm already on this website in an open tab.

I'll try some of the troubleshooting steps in this thread, but if there's anything in particular I can try (in terms of cmd prompts, etc.) while the problem is occurring, to try and narrow it down, let me know.
Peculiar_Investor

newbie003 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:22 am I opened a new tab to do something else and now it's broken.
Which browser and what is the exact error message? Can you switch to a tab that is/was working and enter the 'broken' URL. Does it work?
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:33 am
newbie003 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:22 am I opened a new tab to do something else and now it's broken.
Which browser and what is the exact error message? Can you switch to a tab that is/was working and enter the 'broken' URL. Does it work?
Chrome. The error is that at the bottom left it either says "looking up www.whatever.com" or some other message. Eventually Chrome pops-up and says do I want to kill it or wait. If I then open IE or Ffox or whatever, no sites at all will load. Nothing will load in a new Chrome tab. And no, if I enter a new URL in an existing Chrome tab it won't work either).

It's so strange :(
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

I tried various items above, none of which helped:

plugging directly into modem
plugging directly into eero base
flush dns
release/renew IP
switching windows users but as soon as I clicked switch user everything went blank. i don't think computer froze as lights were blinking. not sure if this is somehow related to the problem or just a separate issue.
Peculiar_Investor

newbie003 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 am Chrome. The error is that at the bottom left it either says "looking up www.whatever.com" or some other message. Eventually Chrome pops-up and says do I want to kill it or wait. If I then open IE or Ffox or whatever, no sites at all will load. Nothing will load in a new Chrome tab. And no, if I enter a new URL in an existing Chrome tab it won't work either).

Agreed it is strange. Each data point might help identify the cause and hopefully the solution.

When it is happening, have you tried Incognito mode and try the URL that doesn't work?

When it is happening and IE or Firefox won't load sites, could you open cmd prompt and try

ipconfig /all
and

nslookup bogleheads.org
and post the responses back here.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:05 am
newbie003 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 am Chrome. The error is that at the bottom left it either says "looking up www.whatever.com" or some other message. Eventually Chrome pops-up and says do I want to kill it or wait. If I then open IE or Ffox or whatever, no sites at all will load. Nothing will load in a new Chrome tab. And no, if I enter a new URL in an existing Chrome tab it won't work either).

Agreed it is strange. Each data point might help identify the cause and hopefully the solution.

When it is happening, have you tried Incognito mode and try the URL that doesn't work?

When it is happening and IE or Firefox won't load sites, could you open cmd prompt and try

ipconfig /all
and

nslookup bogleheads.org
and post the responses back here.
Incognito mode does not help.

I ended up rebooting but will grab ipconfig and nslookup next time.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

did you run adwcleaner?

Something is hijacking the browser. You have a virus like app installed most likely.

Go into your "Apps and Features" area of Settings. Start > Settings > Apps > Apps and Features.

Sort programs by install date. Look for recent and strange apps. Uninstall anything that you can't confirm.
Peculiar_Investor

Google turned up How to Clear the Google Chrome DNS cache on Windows which shows some internal Chrome tools that might be worth looking at.
If you experience any DNS or host error related browsing issues, it can sometimes help to perform a DNS and Socket flush using your Google Chrome browser. In order to fix these problems, follow these simple steps.

Begin by opening Google Chrome and type in this address: chrome://net-internals/#dns and press “Enter.”
The article goes on to provide some further built in tools (i.e. sockets) that might be useful to debug/resolve.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 am did you run adwcleaner?

Something is hijacking the browser. You have a virus like app installed most likely.

Go into your "Apps and Features" area of Settings. Start > Settings > Apps > Apps and Features.

Sort programs by install date. Look for recent and strange apps. Uninstall anything that you can't confirm.
There's nothing out of the ordinary in the apps (just microsoft, dropbox, mozilla...)

adwcleaner only found 1 'pup' or something like that, related to google phone (or something). i quarantined it.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

Each browser has an option to determine what happens when you open a new tab. Something has modified that destination.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

newbie003 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 am

There's nothing out of the ordinary in the apps (just microsoft, dropbox, mozilla...)

adwcleaner only found 1 'pup' or something like that, related to google phone (or something). i quarantined it.
What operating system? Windows 7? Windows 10?

Go to Start > Settings > Network and Internet > Proxy

Do you have anything setup as a Proxy?
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:59 am
newbie003 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 am

What operating system? Windows 7? Windows 10?

Go to Start > Settings > Network and Internet > Proxy

Do you have anything setup as a Proxy?
Win 10 Home
No proxy (Automatically Detect Settings)
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

Your responses indicate that your internet is in fact working when the problem occurs. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to post responses here. So the problem is somewhere more peculiar.

Did you try the powershell command to grab HTML? That would narrow it down a bit further.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

bryanm wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:50 am Your responses indicate that your internet is in fact working when the problem occurs. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to post responses here. So the problem is somewhere more peculiar.

Did you try the powershell command to grab HTML? That would narrow it down a bit further.
Correct. Internet is (essentially) fully working when the problem occurs. Dropbox is still connected. Thunderbird (gmail via pop) works just fine. Etc... Computer doesn't indicate that it's not connected in any way, it's only that I can't browse to new sites in any browser (only existing tabs work).

I forgot about the powershell grab but will give that a try next time.
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

Also, you mentioned above that Chrome hangs on opening a new tab. Does that same thing happen in new browsers (e.g., it simply hangs)? Internet-based errors almost never result in that kind of behavior, which I think is why people are thinking malware/virus. Another possibility is that your OS has become corrupted somehow. Years ago I had that issue, where some program had overwritten a critical DLL file. Took me ages to track down.

You might try a few steps to see if Windows can "heal" itself:
  • Run "sfc /scannow" to let System File Checker check for corrupt files.
  • If SFC fails, repair the system image using "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" (this takes a while), then run the SFC command again.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

Bit by bit...
OP can open a new tab, but the browser hangs after entering a URL somehow.
FYI, routes are cached in devices other than the computer. The browser is not getting the proper route when invoked in a new tab.
Could also be an unfound malware. I use Malwarebytes.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

bryanm wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:27 pm Also, you mentioned above that Chrome hangs on opening a new tab. Does that same thing happen in new browsers (e.g., it simply hangs)? Internet-based errors almost never result in that kind of behavior, which I think is why people are thinking malware/virus. Another possibility is that your OS has become corrupted somehow. Years ago I had that issue, where some program had overwritten a critical DLL file. Took me ages to track down.

You might try a few steps to see if Windows can "heal" itself:
  • Run "sfc /scannow" to let System File Checker check for corrupt files.
  • If SFC fails, repair the system image using "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" (this takes a while), then run the SFC command again.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

Anything interesting in the SFC log? Fingers crossed it fixed the problem.

Re: incorrect routes, you'd think that would result in an "Err_Connection_Timed_Out" error, not a hang.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

bryanm wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:53 pm Anything interesting in the SFC log? Fingers crossed it fixed the problem.

hard to say, very large file...

anything that was repaired related to windows defender.