Tipping advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AAA

Tipping advice

Post by AAA »

I was curious for some advice from the tippers out there. I'm not seeking opinions on whether to tip, so let's not get into that whole other recurring discussion.

Typically for delivery and installation of something that takes some effort, like a refrigerator, I will tip $10 to $20. Recently, I had some renovation work done in the house lasting several weeks. Two employees of the contractor did most of the work. As they did a good job and were respectful, I am planning to give them each a tip and was considering something like a $50 gift card from a local convenience store that they frequent. I consider that the tip is just meant to show some appreciation and not to compensate them. But based on what I've given others for about an hour's work, if I "do the math" such a tip would seem woefully inadequate. So what do you think?
Last edited by AAA on Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TallBoy29er

Re: Tipping advice

Post by TallBoy29er »

Now you've done it. You've opened a thread about tipping. Prepare for all the comments you want, and didn't want, in the next few days.

My take on your situation...I would give cash in the amount you think is appropriate (which absolutely everyone will have an opinion on). I think a crisp $50 for each worker would be more than they would be expecting.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Or a gift card to Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards or similar. They always need to replenish tools. No comment on whether to do so.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

Tipping is such an incongruous system, everyone will give their own vastly different opinions. So I’ll just leave the advice of the wise Dwight Schrute. It’s as good as any.

“Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.”
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

TallBoy29er wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:56 pm Now you've done it. You've opened a thread about tipping. Prepare for all the comments you want, and didn't want, in the next few days.
But I said no discussion on whether to tip and I'm sure that will be respected by my fellow Bogleheads. :wink:
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

WHY did you DO this, OP?!
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

$50 seems like a lot but if it’s white glove delivery and they are on time and professional hey why not. I would do cash, not a gift card, though. They may want the money for groceries or something non-job related.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

I think $50 would be very much appreciated by those skilled (and often underpaid) guys (but I agree with those who say to give a nice, crisp $50 bill).

My observation in life is that most white collar workers are very tight fisted and will come up with all kinds of justification for their stinginess.

I know because I was (and still fight it) one of them. I’m slowly learning how it’s more fun and fulfilling to be generous.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I would think that a $50 gift card would be very much appreciated. This is more of a gift situation than a tip, as I presume theirs is not a job that relies on tips to make a living wage.
corysold

Post by corysold »

As someone is currently in the trades (HVAC) a tip is always appreciated, but never expected. I'm paid by my employer to do a good job for the customer. Tips aren't a significant portion of my income. Your $50 is very generous and I'd assume would be appreciated.

I've also worked in jobs where tips were 25+% of my income. Even then I didn't "expect" tips, but appreciated them when the customer felt I'd earned it.

I know tipping threads usually have arguments on both ways here. Given that you've decided to give a tip, your amount is satisfactory for what you've explained.
offthetop

Post by offthetop »

As a previous employee and current employer in the trades we rarely receive a tip but when we do it is a feeling of self-worth that reminds us that we are doing a great job. We do not expect to receive a tip as many others have stated but the feeling we get and for you to see our appreciation first hand is well worth the money spent IMO. When I give a tip to workers I usually tip 20-50 for a day of work and 100-200 for a week (including meals) and the feeling I get from my generosity is well worth it when in 6 months I am walking through a store and this person stops me to say thanks, it puts an end to any stress I had that day.

I will say that anything that is less than a case of beer would be a slap in the face. Another thing a lot of us appreciate is when we are working hard and you go out of your way to bring us a good meal or take us out for lunch. Taking workers out to lunch I believe increases productivity and workers want to do better after being rewarded.

For several weeks of work I would say if you had spoken with them in conversation and liked who they are, giving them enough to take the family out to dinner is a nice deal. As always cash is king. A crisp $50 is always better than a plastic card, if you are looking to be more thoughtful by purchasing a gift card buy a card to write a little message of appreciation and throw in a crisp bill.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I've never tipped a trades person, but have given a bonus for good work on a (probably mistakenly) low quote. I said something like "I bet that turned out to be more work than you expected." If you want to tip, I think $50 each will be appreciated.

I'll add that a friend of mine tries to make their job more pleasant for them with minor things like offering them bottled water or a soda and maybe ordering them lunch (not everyday) or dinner if they wind up working late. Just ordering a pizza or something like that. I think that is not a bad strategy for motivating them.
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

The only two examples of unique tipping was $50 each to the moving crew and we gave $200 to the painter who did our house exterior. The paint job was unusually difficult, and unusually excellent.
IMO

Post by IMO »

I think the bottom line is that it is a personal decision about who, when, and how much one tips in the various aspects of life.

There are social norms/expectations to give tips and then there is the opposite where there is not the specific societal norm to tip per se. Personally, I prefer to tip in the latter situation.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Tipping is a hot button for some. I tend to do some where others wouldn't think about it. $50 sounds good to me.

I tip each of the garbage men $20 each year. They know I'm disabled, and DW is sometimes gimpy, so, they always bring up the emptied cans for us.

A little thing, but appreciated. I see no reason to not show your appreciation if you want to do so.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
anil686

Post by anil686 »

I frequently tip trades people in this situation - the amount seems right. We normally go through a general contractor who arranges everything but the people he brings are typically really good and we appreciate their service. Most of the time, it is not about the job itself but rather their consideration of our family life (i.e. trying to make more noise/work when kids are at school and trying to wrap up by 6 PM on school nights), being extraordinarily clean and courteous. We have had workers who are not those things and we have instructed our contractor to pick those who represent the values we have. We believe the best way to show our appreciation is to tip - we normally tip cash over gift cards. JMO though...
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

anil686 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:17 pm I frequently tip trades people in this situation - the amount seems right. We normally go through a general contractor who arranges everything but the people he brings are typically really good and we appreciate their service. Most of the time, it is not about the job itself but rather their consideration of our family life (i.e. trying to make more noise/work when kids are at school and trying to wrap up by 6 PM on school nights), being extraordinarily clean and courteous. We have had workers who are not those things and we have instructed our contractor to pick those who represent the values we have. We believe the best way to show our appreciation is to tip - we normally tip cash over gift cards. JMO though...
Same thought processes here. Always cash. Never even considered gift cards. And won't.
chw

Post by chw »

If gonna tip, go with cold hard cash. :dollar :dollar :dollar
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

Tipping threads in financial forums are a lot like "best motor oil brand" threads in automotive forums. Opinions are all over the place and there's no right or wrong. My tip is to just tip whoever you want and for any amount you want.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

anil686 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:17 pm I frequently tip trades people in this situation - the amount seems right. We normally go through a general contractor who arranges everything but the people he brings are typically really good and we appreciate their service. Most of the time, it is not about the job itself but rather their consideration of our family life (i.e. trying to make more noise/work when kids are at school and trying to wrap up by 6 PM on school nights), being extraordinarily clean and courteous. We have had workers who are not those things and we have instructed our contractor to pick those who represent the values we have. We believe the best way to show our appreciation is to tip - we normally tip cash over gift cards. JMO though...
One thing that I appreciated during our kitchen remodel was the fact if a crew was scheduled to arrive at a certain time, they were there in time. We had one tradesperson that couldn't make his schedule, due to death in family. He showed up on Saturday and did his job.

I commented to the GC about how good his crews were, and he said they make their schedule or they don't work for him. Period.

At the time of our remodel, he was running 10-12 projects. He kept his crews busy, so they were very loyal.

So, I was very glad to throw some cash to them. I also got the benefit of some good folks that I could use on small projects when they have some time available. Good thing is they are great. Bad thing is I had to wait till they had a weekend free. I had plenty of time, so not a problem.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
WildCat48

Post by WildCat48 »

I honestly just tip everyone, everywhere, I even attempted to tip my doctor once and he declined.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I tip little kids preemptively so they won't spit in my food when they're teenagers working at restaurants. I tip people I pass on the street for not mugging me. I tip my boss for starting a meeting on time. Am I doing this right?
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:33 pm I tip little kids preemptively so they won't spit in my food when they're teenagers working at restaurants. I tip people I pass on the street for not mugging me. I tip my boss for starting a meeting on time. Am I doing this right?
+1

I think you nailed it - please accept this :moneybag as a sign of my gratitude for your post!

In the world of off topic BH threads, water heaters >> snow tires >>>>>> tipping.

OP - kind of you to think of others, do what makes you feel good.
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

WildCat48 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:53 pm I honestly just tip everyone, everywhere, I even attempted to tip my doctor once and he declined.

HaHa reminds of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_RyHZ1OzXk
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

use the Bit-tip app. Allows you to tip using Bitcoin.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

AAA wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:15 pmBut I said no discussion on whether to tip and I'm sure that will be respected by my fellow Bogleheads. :wink:
Are you new here?
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

A box of chocolates.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

Cubicle wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:31 am
AAA wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:15 pmBut I said no discussion on whether to tip and I'm sure that will be respected by my fellow Bogleheads. :wink:
Are you new here?
With over 1200 posts, no. But maybe I'm naive.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

AAA wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:22 am
Cubicle wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:31 am
Are you new here?
With over 1200 posts, no. But maybe I'm naive.
It's like the posts "I have a net worth of -$100,000 and I want advice on how to finance a Tesla. This is only about how to finance a Tesla and not whether I can afford it."
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

why does everyone get a tip for "doing their job"? I don't get to have a tip jar at my desk at work and every time I do what I am supposed to do, boss has to drop a $20 in it.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

Thegame14 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 am why does everyone get a tip for "doing their job"? I don't get to have a tip jar at my desk at work and every time I do what I am supposed to do, boss has to drop a $20 in it.
I asked that this thread not get into a discussion of "should I tip?" but for the future I now know that's apparently not possible.

I'm just curious - in your job do you get annual bonuses?
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

I'm all for tipping for recognition and appreciation that someone is doing a job I don't have the skill, strength, or desire to do myself. That runs the gambit from when it's expected, encouraged, or otherwise just a nice add on. From where tips are expected, suggested, or discretionary, plenty of folks are out there working a lot harder than I am for a lot less, so when I have the opportunity to show my gratitude when receiving that service, I do it.
UnclePennybags

Post by UnclePennybags »

When I was a young man, I worked in construction as a cabinetmaker / trim carpenter. We did a number of renovation type jobs for people, most of time I worked there we did a lot of fancy cedar-lined custom closets. Other than the occasional beer or meal, we almost never received tips. I can only think of one time in 2 years or so that I did that work. All of this is to say that I think a $50 gift card would be seen by a tradesman as very nice thank you and a generous tip.

I was always quite psyched when a homeowner dropped off a six pack or case of beer on Friday, a cash tip would be awesome.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

AAA wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:14 pm
Thegame14 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 am why does everyone get a tip for "doing their job"? I don't get to have a tip jar at my desk at work and every time I do what I am supposed to do, boss has to drop a $20 in it.
I asked that this thread not get into a discussion of "should I tip?" but for the future I now know that's apparently not possible.

zero bonus two of the last three years....
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

Thegame14 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:07 pm

So bonus one of those years. Isn't that a tip?
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

AAA wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 pm
Thegame14 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:07 pm

So bonus one of those years. Isn't that a tip?
No that is supposed to be to compensate for overtime not paid for since I am salary. Or to share in company profits about expectations. That comes from the company not the consumer, ie my boss.

If you are trying to compare, which is weird, my tipping the worker isn't the same as my company giving me a bonus. My company giving me a bonus would be the same as the owner giving the worker a tip or bonus, both come from within the company.... Me giving a tip to a worker would be like my boss coming out of his PERSONAL pocket and giving me cash outside employment contract, meaning not bonus or raise, but his personal funds.
dbr

Post by dbr »

AAA wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:53 pm I was curious for some advice from the tippers out there. I'm not seeking opinions on whether to tip, so let's not get into that whole other recurring discussion.

Typically for delivery and installation of something that takes some effort, like a refrigerator, I will tip $10 to $20. Recently, I had some renovation work done in the house lasting several weeks. Two employees of the contractor did most of the work. As they did a good job and were respectful, I am planning to give them each a tip and was considering something like a $50 gift card from a local convenience store that they frequent. I consider that the tip is just meant to show some appreciation and not to compensate them. But based on what I've given others for about an hour's work, if I "do the math" such a tip would seem woefully inadequate. So what do you think?
The $10-$20 and the $50 would be my idea also. It is about appreciation and not about compensation. Issues about tips in restaurants, etc. are completely different.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Obviously you seem like you want to thank them with a small gift....so do it. Why would you care what we think?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

tennisplyr wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:01 pm Obviously you seem like you want to thank them with a small gift....so do it. Why would you care what we think?
If I didn't care what other Bogleheads thought, I wouldn't read these forums.
Last edited by AAA on Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

delete
Last edited by AAA on Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

delete