Google Voice number- no privacy with personal info??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Google Voice number- no privacy with personal info??

Post by Kennedy »

So, I have a Google Voice number that I use on rare occasions when I don't want to expose my personal phone number or name. (I'm not referencing nefarious situations, but there are times when I don't want to be added to a phone number or name list.)

I googled my google voice number the other day, and the top hit was my real name and my real home address (along with a map to my home, of course). The second hit revealed the same information except it had one of my adult children's names plus our real home address. (My child doesn't even know my GV number, so they wouldn't have ever used it or associated it with our names/address.)

I have been extremely careful to never associate the Google Voice number with my name or address, and yet there it was.

How did this happen? Is my only solution when I want privacy to use a cheap "burner" type phone? I want it to be an actual phone number where someone can leave me a message and I can answer the call if necessary.
samsoes

Re: Google Voice number- no privacy with personal info??

Post by samsoes »

I use TextNow for such situations where I don't want to be subjected to future telemarketing calls. They don't require any personal information to setup and maintain a phone number. TextNow does require an email address, but you can use an alternate one of those as well.

(Yes, you can make and receive voice calls with TextNow.)
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

Everyone’s phone number, addresses and other details are online. This time search your name and see what results do you get.
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

nydoc wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:11 am Everyone’s phone number, addresses and other details are online. This time search your name and see what results do you get.
Yes, I know my name, address and REAL phone number are found easily with a two second search. However, the issue is that I NEVER associated my Google Voice number with my name and address. In other words, I never filled out any forms or did anything myself that associated my GV number with my name and address. And yet there must have been some way for my personal information to have been linked to my real information. (The email I used when I signed up for GV was a new email address that was never used for any other purpose and didn't have my real name inputted.)
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I only use my google voice when I want the phone number associated with me.
I use my prepaid mobile number (that changes periodically) when I don't care / don't want the phone number associated to me.
I can forward the google voice to whatever phones I want or am currently using.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua »

This subject certainly caught my eye because I've had my Google Voice phone number for years and I use it as my main contact number, it has gone to friends and businesses alike. I Googled my Google Voice number and nothing specifically about me came up. What I got were the usual come ons for websites that for a fee will reveal details and come ons for reverse lookups, but nothing that mentioned my name or my address or anything about me.
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:32 am I only use my google voice when I want the phone number associated with me.
I use my prepaid mobile number (that changes periodically) when I don't care / don't want the phone number associated to me.
How do I do this? I have an old iphone just sitting in a drawer. Can I used this to get a prepaid mobile number? And how is that number changed periodically?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:29 am
nydoc wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:11 am Everyone’s phone number, addresses and other details are online. This time search your name and see what results do you get.
Yes, I know my name, address and REAL phone number are found easily with a two second search. However, the issue is that I NEVER associated my Google Voice number with my name and address. In other words, I never filled out any forms or did anything myself that associated my GV number with my name and address. And yet there must have been some way for my personal information to have been linked to my real information. (The email I used when I signed up for GV was a new email address that was never used for any other purpose and didn't have my real name inputted.)
LOL
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I just googled my google voice number and none of the results showed my name or any information connecting the number to me.
brcarls

Post by brcarls »

What sites had this info? I have used the same google voice number as my main phone number since 2007 (when it was GrandCentral before being acquired by Google) and when I search my number, I can find no info linking my identity to my google voice number.

If you have never associated your identity with that number, I would guess that someone you know has and allowed an app (like facebook) access to their contact list.
Last edited by brcarls on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

Don_Qua wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:47 am This subject certainly caught my eye because I've had my Google Voice phone number for years and I use it as my main contact number, it has gone to friends and businesses alike. I Googled my Google Voice number and nothing specifically about me came up. What I got were the usual come ons for websites that for a fee will reveal details and come ons for reverse lookups, but nothing that mentioned my name or my address or anything about me.
+1
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am I googled my google voice number the other day, and the top hit was my real name and my real home address (along with a map to my home, of course). The second hit revealed the same information except it had one of my adult children's names plus our real home address. (My child doesn't even know my GV number, so they wouldn't have ever used it or associated it with our names/address.)

I have been extremely careful to never associate the Google Voice number with my name or address, and yet there it was.

How did this happen?
(shrug)

That doesn't happen with my google voice number. You must be special.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am So, I have a Google Voice number that I use on rare occasions when I don't want to expose my personal phone number or name. (I'm not referencing nefarious situations, but there are times when I don't want to be added to a phone number or name list.)

I googled my google voice number the other day, and the top hit was my real name and my real home address (along with a map to my home, of course). The second hit revealed the same information except it had one of my adult children's names plus our real home address. (My child doesn't even know my GV number, so they wouldn't have ever used it or associated it with our names/address.)

How did this happen? Is my only solution when I want privacy to use a cheap "burner" type phone? I want it to be an actual phone number where someone can leave me a message and I can answer the call if necessary.
Are you logged into your Google account when you submitted the search?
My signature has been deleted.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:01 am
JoMoney wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:32 am I only use my google voice when I want the phone number associated with me.
How do I do this? I have an old iphone just sitting in a drawer. Can I used this to get a prepaid mobile number? And how is that number changed periodically?
If you don't specifically elect to "port" your old phone number, you will be assigned a new phone number every time you buy new service. If you use prepaid plans, you might find yourself changing plans frequently as you shop for the best deal.
Forwarding your Google Voice number to whatever your new number(s) is (are), can be done immediately just updating the settings in your GV account.
If you install the Google Voice app, you use that for dialing/texting if you want the caller ID to show your GV number rather than your phone carriers number.

I have no idea of the specifications of your "old iphone", and what networks it would be compatible with. Android phones can be bought extremely cheaply, but even then you need to make sure the phone you get is compatible with the prepaid service provider you sign up with.
You can escape the compatibility concerns by just buying the phone that is locked to specific carrier together ... like from TracPhone or Straight Talk

For the past year I've been using SpeedTalk Mobile's $99 1 Year plan, but I might switch to the $60 a year plan because I just don't use it that much.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
pyld76

Post by pyld76 »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am So, I have a Google Voice number that I use on rare occasions when I don't want to expose my personal phone number or name. (I'm not referencing nefarious situations, but there are times when I don't want to be added to a phone number or name list.)

I’m guessing that at some point, you told someone on the other end of that phone your name inadvertently or enough data to figure out who you were and they sold it to a data broker. Are you sure you never gave enough info on to any party you spoke with to ascertain your ID?
Momus

Post by Momus »

They pull those public info and sell your data. You can opt out on all websites that have your info. I have opted out to have my info removed for at least 30+ websites. Not that easy to find me by Googling my name or my phone number now. But it's by far better than before. Everything was out there before, all my previous addresses and phone number and people I used to live with.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I use a Google voice number for the same reason but I don't use a GV number associated with my personal Google account. In fact, other than accessing mail and calendar, I don't use my google personal account for anything - including search. If I want to do a search, I do it in a VM using Linux and Firefox. I try to isolate my Google account entirely.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

I just googled the GV number nothing personal comes up.

Are you sure you didn’t use GV number with other sites and end up associating with your name? Is your GV account same as your usual google account?

When one first sign up for GV number nothing personal was required.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I’m guessing that at some point, you told someone on the other end of that phone your name inadvertently or enough data to figure out who you were and they sold it to a data broker. Are you sure you never gave enough info on to any party you spoke with to ascertain your ID?
I agree that this appears to be the most likely answer.
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

OP here. The site that comes up with all my personal information when googling my GV number is "Nuwber dot com." I went through the steps to opt-out of my information being displayed. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have been completely effective.

This Nuwber site is still the first result of my google search and still lists my name, GV number and address on the google search result page. It's still there plain as day. However, when I click the link, it returns a page removed error. Doesn't really help me since google is still showing all my personal info as the headline on that first result on the google search. Will that drop off at some point?

I think I figured out how all this may have happened. I know with 100% certainty that I never gave out my name and my GV number and address to anyone. Ever. However, I recall something unusual happening this summer. It's a little vague, but I'll try to piece it together.

I was out and about and needed to log into a gmail account on my iphone that I had only accessed previously on my home computer. This gmail account was essentially a throw-away account and never contained my real name. However, there were several emails in this gmail account whereby I referenced my Google Voice number, but never my real name or address.

When I tried logging into this gmail account on my iphone, I recall getting a strange pop-up saying they needed to text me or send me an email to a separate gmail account I use as my apple id (if I'm recalling correctly) something about verifying the anonymous gmail account before I could log on. I was in a hurry and needed access to an email, so I vaguely recall inputting my real iphone cell phone number or perhaps my real gmail apple id and maybe getting a code texted or emailed to me, although that part is a little fuzzy.

An additional factor is that my google voice phone number is linked to my real iphone cell number in that all GV calls are routed to my cell phone.

Could google have skimmed (computer, not a real human) my anonymous gmail emails in which I reference my GV number while I was logged into this gmail account on my iphone? That seems pretty tin-foiled hat-ish. Could that weird pop-up have linked my GV number to my real info in some way??
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I have used google voice numbers for tweens to text from tablets, a contact for a volunteer organization and a craigslist contact. All but the last was associated with a real name and real phone number either landline or postpaid iPhone. I tried a search on the phone numbers, none come back to me.

I just went to Nuwber. Even my regular cell phone number that I have had for 20 years does not show up there. Only my old landline number is associated with my name. And there are a lot of errors with the other information that have associated with me. So it does not seem that Nuwber has very deep resources. Makes your situation even odder.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Odd situation. My GV number is tied to my postpaid cell phone number and the gmail account that I use for everything important. When I google it, I get nothing. When I check nuwber, I get nothing.

When I check my cell number on nuwber, it gives me the person who had the number before I got it 15 years ago. I know it because when I first got the phone a lot of debt collectors were calling for her.

Did you possibly give that phone number when you applied for credit somewhere?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:55 pm OP here. The site that comes up with all my personal information when googling my GV number is "Nuwber dot com." I went through the steps to opt-out of my information being displayed. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have been completely effective.

This Nuwber site is still the first result of my google search and still lists my name, GV number and address on the google search result page. It's still there plain as day. However, when I click the link, it returns a page removed error. Doesn't really help me since google is still showing all my personal info as the headline on that first result on the google search. Will that drop off at some point?

I think I figured out how all this may have happened. I know with 100% certainty that I never gave out my name and my GV number and address to anyone. Ever. However, I recall something unusual happening this summer. It's a little vague, but I'll try to piece it together.

I was out and about and needed to log into a gmail account on my iphone that I had only accessed previously on my home computer. This gmail account was essentially a throw-away account and never contained my real name. However, there were several emails in this gmail account whereby I referenced my Google Voice number, but never my real name or address.

When I tried logging into this gmail account on my iphone, I recall getting a strange pop-up saying they needed to text me or send me an email to a separate gmail account I use as my apple id (if I'm recalling correctly) something about verifying the anonymous gmail account before I could log on. I was in a hurry and needed access to an email, so I vaguely recall inputting my real iphone cell phone number or perhaps my real gmail apple id and maybe getting a code texted or emailed to me, although that part is a little fuzzy.

An additional factor is that my google voice phone number is linked to my real iphone cell number in that all GV calls are routed to my cell phone.

Could google have skimmed (computer, not a real human) my anonymous gmail emails in which I reference my GV number while I was logged into this gmail account on my iphone? That seems pretty tin-foiled hat-ish. Could that weird pop-up have linked my GV number to my real info in some way??
Yes, it will drop off at some point. When it showed error, they took it out immediately but Google still has a cache of the website/search. After a few days, it will be gone. Keep checking back and opting out on every websites until you can't see your info.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

I’ve used gv for many years. The only things I can find when I search are paid search ads and info I put online.
Pale Blue Dot
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Don’t have Google Voice, however it seems two other people have associated themselves with my telephone number. I google the number and the two individuals show up before I do. Their mail occasionally shows up too.

P.s. landline.
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

I’ve had a GV number since Google rolled out the service. I just searched my number and it came up associated with name, along with several other very old home phone numbers I’ve had in the past. I am not surprised since I use the number for everything except friends and family in order to keep my mobile phone number more private. I never gave Google any of my PII when I set up an account. So I am quite certain the many commercial entities who I have given my GV # to shared the number with marketing, consumer tracking groups, or credit agencies over the years. This is what I expected would happen, so it doesn’t bother me. The call/text filtering tools GV has have allowed my GV # to manage the brunt of unsolicited calls, and allowed me to keep my mobile # clear of that.
CULater

Post by CULater »

Interesting. I've used a Google Voice number as my main number for years, and even provide it everywhere when I'm required to provide my phone number. I googled it, and it came up with a completely different individual. Scrolled through various sites and several had this same individual associated with my number. Relieved to find that and hope it stays that way. I suppose some other Google number could be associated with me though. :oops:
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.