Amount of cash wedding gift?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Re: Amount of cash wedding gift?

Post by dm200 »

geno974 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:50 pm Depends on venue and location and relationship to B/G
I say $50 is cheap. $100 is marginal at best.
Norm is $200-$250.
$500 if high cost event in high cost location.
G
"Inflation" - I suppose!
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Thankfully it has been a long time since I've gone to a wedding. I went to a number when I was in my 20s/30s. I think it depends on the people getting married as well as your closeness to them and not, as one person suggested, your net worth. For example, if it is two young people just starting out and not making much money I'd be more generous than if it was two older people or professionals having good income.

Personally I find weddings are usually over done and too much money is wasted on one day due to society pressures or keeping up with the joneses.

Is this a person you give Christmas, Birthday, etc. gifts/cards to? If not, I think $100 is plenty.
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

I recently missed my niece's wedding but sent $250 plus a nice card with hand-written sentiments.

Just do that and don't give it a second thought.
WildCat48

Post by WildCat48 »

I usually just write some advice on a hotel notepad and put it in an envelope, which my wife seems find away to throw away and replace with a fancy card and between $200-$500 depending on how close we are to the person.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

WildCat48 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:25 pm I usually just write some advice on a hotel notepad and put it in an envelope, which my wife seems find away to throw away and replace with a fancy card and between $200-$500 depending on how close we are to the person.
Even more inflation!

Our son got married in late 2018 - I will have to ask him what sort of cash wedding gifts they received.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

WildCat48 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:25 pm I usually just write some advice on a hotel notepad and put it in an envelope, which my wife seems find away to throw away and replace with a fancy card and between $200-$500 depending on how close we are to the person.
Same here...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Norms are completely different depending on where you live and your specific culture. I can say that almost every single response in this thread is more than the wife and I received total in gifts (combined from all ~50 of our wedding attendees, including parents and all 9 siblings on both sides) at our wedding 6yrs ago, and we expected no different. If a distant relative who I saw once or twice a decade was getting married, it wouldn't even cross my mind to send a gift at all (and IMO that's what an invitation sounds like - an ask for money) and I am pretty sure most in my circle would respond the same. Ask your relatives, their responses will be far more relevant than any you will get here.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:02 pm Norms are completely different depending on where you live and your specific culture. I can say that almost every single response in this thread is more than the wife and I received total in gifts (combined from all ~50 of our wedding attendees, including parents and all 9 siblings on both sides) at our wedding 6yrs ago, and we expected no different. If a distant relative who I saw once or twice a decade was getting married, it wouldn't even cross my mind to send a gift at all (and IMO that's what an invitation sounds like - an ask for money) and I am pretty sure most in my circle would respond the same. Ask your relatives, their responses will be far more relevant than any you will get here.
My general feelings as well.