Mechanics of maintaining two homes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AerialWombat

Mechanics of maintaining two homes

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:54 pm

I thought that it would be just me and the little RV dancing into the sunset in my semi-retirement phase, but alas, after less than two months I'm already hankering for yet another place to call "home". I'm under contract on another house and will close in a couple weeks.

I kept a primary and a secondary residence for 2018/2019, but because I own so few material possessions (no furniture, no large electronics, etc)., I kept very, very little at whichever house I wasn't in at the time -- the stuff just came with me in transit. Only exceptions being bed and a few kitchen items. I realize that this is not the "normal" way of doing it.

For those of you that have both a primary residence and a vacation home, what is the norm?

Meaning, what do you keep at each house, and what do you carry with you between both homes?

I assume that most folks have two complete sets of furniture, dishes, pots/pans, TV's, etc. But what about clothes? Computers? The PlayStation or Xbox? All those other things.

Does anybody go so far as to keep a separate car at each house?

Thanks for the input!

HomeStretch

Re: Mechanics of maintaining two homes

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:58 pm

How far apart are the two homes?
Do you travel between them by car or by plane?

Post by 123 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:01 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:54 pm
,,,Does anybody go so far as to keep a separate car at each house?..
It depends on how far apart the homes are and how you travel between them. If you maintain two cars each of them will likely be separately insured with each home. If either home has extended periods without anyone staying there insurance costs may rise dramatically, review your policies carefully.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:01 pm

When we were maintaining 2 homes, one was a weekend/vacation getaway about an hour from our primary house. My goal in setting it up was that I could get in the car on Friday afternoon taking only my laptop and whatever book I was reading, drive away from house #1 and arrive at house #2, walk in and be home again.

So we had a fully set up house; I kept a set of everything down there right down to my brand of toothbrush, toiletries etc. Only thing I didn't double up on was work clothes because god forbid I had to think about the job while in my happy place LOL.

Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:58 pm
How far apart are the two homes?
1,412 miles.

I usually drive, but that will get old in a hurry. So I'll say "fly".

Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04 pm

123 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:01 pm
If either home has extended periods without anyone staying there insurance costs may rise dramatically, review your policies carefully.
Yes, I'm already used to dealing with this. It's been about $100 a year extra on the home insurance.

Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:06 pm

pennywise wrote:
So we had a fully set up house; I kept a set of everything down there right down to my brand of toothbrush, toiletries etc. Only thing I didn't double up on was work clothes because god forbid I had to think about the job while in my happy place LOL.
Thanks for this data point. This is what I'm really wondering -- how extreme the replication is, I guess. If I'm going to do this and transit by air, then this extreme becomes the default, probably. Thank you!

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:10 pm

+1 to pennywise’s comment.

You may also want to add to each home a system to monitor it when you aren’t there. For example, cameras/video door bell where you can occasionally take a peek at what’s going on at the vacant home. Plus security, water monitors, etc.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Essentials for cooking and living are needed in both.

Still it's a pain as frequently the thing you need is at the other place.

There are more issues than just possessions: there's maintenance (especially outdoor care) and insurance (which can refuse to pay if you are away for an extended period when something goes wrong). And more.

Do it only for a GOOD reason and make at least one low-maintenance.

marielake

Post by marielake » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:26 pm

I just completed my first year owning a second home. It is a five hour drive away. My plan is to spend 5 months there, some weeks in between and remaining time in primary home. My car has been packed with items each time I've traveled there. At this point, I think I'm settled in. I did move clothing, most shoes, toiletries, shoes, laptop, IPAD when I came back. Everything else is duplicated.
Home came furnished with most furniture, pots/pans, dishes, glasses, silverware. I needed to buy one new bedroom set and basic kitchenware and bathroom items. Check out Marketplace on Facebook to furnish your new home.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:04 pm

I think this really depends on your lifestyle. You sound like maybe you are a minimalist! That will work out fine if you want to keep things simple. Maybe less is more and you want to carry the essentials with you from place to place, or maybe you will find having duplicates works better! We just bought a tiny vacation home 11 hours away. Our plan is to keep clothes there and all of the essentials, but otherwise keep it as simple as possible. We do plan to keep our old car with 260k miles on it up there for when we fly, but mostly we will drive because we want to spend much of the summer there. I think you will figure it out as you go along (and so will we since we haven’t even lived in it yet).

Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Great suggestions so far, thank you.

Yes, I'm a minimalist. Right now, I'm crashing at a really nice Airbnb. It has things that I'm not used to and don't own, such as a couch, dining table, shelves, etc. I have decided that I would like to have these things and be more comfortable in my home(s).

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:37 pm
Great suggestions so far, thank you.

Yes, I'm a minimalist. Right now, I'm crashing at a really nice Airbnb. It has things that I'm not used to and don't own, such as a couch, dining table, shelves, etc. I have decided that I would like to have these things and be more comfortable in my home(s).

You are just a little behind the times. Apparently furniture was invented around 3100 BC according to this website.
https://www.sofasandsectionals.com/the- ... -furniture. But it was made of stone, so I guess things have improved. Good luck with your home away from home. :happy

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:57 pm

I have everything i need on both homes. Including yard tools - and I do not move them back and forth. The only things i move back and forth are occasional use items such as a power washer or large ladder. I do rotate clothes at the Lake House, however, I still have summer and winter clothes there all the time.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:37 pm

I’ve seen a relative do this for several years. They had more or less full duplication at each house - furniture, decor, cooking gadgets, spices, etc. They flew back and forth so had cars at each location. Some duplication of clothes, but I noticed that they basically carted their favorites back and forth each time anyway. They also had to manage services to maintain and watch each house when they weren’t there.

To be honest, it looked like a huge pain to me. They basically spent the last week at a location packing, getting rid of stuff that would go bad, lining up services, and getting the house shut down, and then the first week doing the reverse at the new location. I figured they went back and forth each fall/spring (4 weeks spent packing), plus an odd trip back to one location from the other another two or three times a year (with a lesser but still nontrivial amount of time spent on logistics).

If I were ever to do this, I would have complete duplication. As in, if I had a favorite shirt, I’d order another and have it sent to the summer home. Too much hassle spent moving stuff around for my tastes. And if I were to do it, I’d be much more inclined to do something like a “country house” where I live plus a fully maintained condo in a city. But watching it convinced me not to have two fully maintained houses. A house plus an RV seems quite different.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

North Texas Cajun

Post by North Texas Cajun » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:05 am

We don’t (yet) own a second home but we’re maintaining one we will likely own. My mid-90s father-in-law is in a rehab center recovering from a stroke. He may never again be living on his ranch, but is unlikely to sell it. So we drive 120 miles to check on the property about once a month. It’s a nice retreat from the big city bustle. Of course, it is still completely furnished, so there’s no need to transport much to the property.

My wife will probably want to keep the ranch - assuming she survives her father. As it’s only a little more than two hours away, it shouldn’t be a burden. My concerns about that are more about keeping it secure, and not about the costs. I’ve read that unoccupied rural properties frequently get burglarized or vandalized.

My guess is that many Boomers like us will soon be inheriting their parent’s homes. I wonder if many will decide to hold on to them.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:10 am

4000 miles international. 2 complete households, including car, mobile phone (voice/text, no minimum fees), property maintenance equipment. Other house has renter in half who mows lawn and watches over house, for low rent. I travel with only a backpack containing stuff I'll use during the flight, spouse insists on carry-on. I used to take a tablet, but cancelled Google Fi and left it home to better enjoy the time away with nothing but public WiFi sitting in a park or train station to check emails every few days on my US-cellular-only mobile phone.

How you do it depends on how you travel, and how long you stay at each place. I plan so I'm not worried about whichever property I'm not at. For me, that requires shorter stays at the vacation property. But the travel setup, transit and settling in can't be too burdensome compared to the rest of the time.

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 am

We furnished our second home with stuff bought at mostly estate sales, yard sales and craigslist. New stuff was the mattress and flat screen. I keep a few clothes there in case I fly in. Uber serves the area pretty well - so mostly i just take the camper to get there and tow a jeep.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:28 am

AerialWombat wrote:
For those of you that have both a primary residence and a vacation home, what is the norm?

Meaning, what do you keep at each house, and what do you carry with you between both homes?
For over 7 years, we had a primary residence and a weekend/vacation home.

We kept sets of everything in both homes. We brought only an overnight bag with medications, laptop, etc. and a little food as we travelled from one to the other. Since the homes were only 1 1/4 hours apart, we didn't have separate cars.

Last year, we sold our primary residence and moved into the beach side home full time.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 am

pennywise
When we were maintaining 2 homes, one was a weekend/vacation getaway about an hour from our primary house. My goal in setting it up was that I could get in the car on Friday afternoon taking only my laptop and whatever book I was reading, drive away from house #1 and arrive at house #2, walk in and be home again. So we had a fully set up house; I kept a set of everything down there right down to my brand of toothbrush, toiletries etc.
+1
When we had a Pied a Terre in Manhattan, it was completely furnished and set up. Re-charging cords, desk supplies, some good books to read, pjs, a set of clothes appropriate to our city activities. In the fridge we kept only champagne and bars of chocolate. Taking only our cellphones and laptops, we could arrive and settle in immediately. Very low stress, no packing and unpacking.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

scifilover

Post by scifilover » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:01 am

Two homes are 1710 miles apart.
This is our 7th Winter in a warmer place.
Currently we drive back and forth in a minivan....
Anything except clothes and personal electronics has been duplicated.

Before we got 2nd house, we experimented with other approaches to getting warmer during Winter. Having 2nd house is cheaper once you get to 4 or more months of rentals.

We have a house watcher for the Winter house when we aren't here ( $50-60 a month). He comes by every week to check the place out. 2nd. house has separate water valves for irrigation and domestic usage so we can turn off water and reduce chance of sudden water damage. 2nd house in extremely low crime area. Between nosy neighbors, security patrols, and local police crooks have it tough.

At some point we will get tired of the drive, buy a car to leave at 2nd house and fly. Folks here who do that leave some clothes and ship the rest.

With this lifestyle, problems can arise but that is just part of the price you have to pay.

This is definitely a first world situation.....

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:38 am

AerialWombat wrote:

I assume that most folks have two complete sets of furniture, dishes, pots/pans, TV's, etc. But what about clothes? Computers? The PlayStation or Xbox? All those other things.

Our vacation place is a 7 hour drive. Typically anytime we replace anything at our primary residence, we decide if it would be of value down at the vacation place. If so, we take it down there are next trip. This goes for anything from appliances to kitchen stuff to clothes. The only things we typically bring are food (mostly because it is up in the mountains and an hour drive from the nearest grocery store), bedding and clothing. The bedding
and clothing we take back and forth since we don't want to linger around before the 7 hour drive back laundering our bedding for the next visit.

On the last trip down there, we took an old futon and our newish microwave, both items that recently got replaced in a home remodeling project. The old pull out sofa bed and microwave that they replaced at our vacation house got set out along the street and somebody picked them up later that day.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:33 pm

I have had two homes for 15 years and been retired 21 years. Our second home is 780 miles from our primary home. We stared out renting a furnished condo for our second home for a few months and then going back home. This made us move out and do things on the landlords schedule. So then we decided to go year round and leave the second home closed when we were gone. That worked ok and over 3 years we bought enough furniture and stuff to make the place a ok second home. Then after 4 years we upgraded to a nicer second home and bought more furniture and more stuff to fully furnished our place and take care of it.

We now keep a extra car at both homes (three cars total) and only take some clothes and meds and a laptop and too much paperwork back and forth between homes. We used to drive it each way in a single long day. Now we take two days. We spend about 5.5 months at our second home and 6.5 months at our primary home.

We have yard guys for both homes and a pool person and a snow person. We have friends watch our places when we are not at that home. And yes we spend a lot each year fixing stuff like water heaters or broken heaters.

Snail mail and paper work filing and tax filing and tracking all this are real issues and difficult. We also have issues with live house plants that my wife loves. We also spend too much for internet cable and TV that are hard to manage without just leaving them on unused when we are gone.

It is a complex lifestyle but very fun. We have tons of friends and things we do at each place. Enjoy.

Good luck.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 pm

pennywise wrote:
When we were maintaining 2 homes, one was a weekend/vacation getaway about an hour from our primary house. My goal in setting it up was that I could get in the car on Friday afternoon taking only my laptop and whatever book I was reading, drive away from house #1 and arrive at house #2, walk in and be home again.

This.

This was the whole POINT of buying a vacation home instead of renting.

Not having to pack ANYTHING is sweet... I mean amazing. Even have cold beer waiting for me when I get there.

Now, I'm only talking about short trips to a summer place, so I have enough summer clothes there to get me through a long weekend. If I am going for 1-2 weeks, I have to at least pack some clothes (well technically I don't, we have a washer and dryer there).

But yeah it cost me twice as much to have two places. Well, 1.5x since the second place is much smaller than the primary house, so far less furniture (and not as nice).
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:55 pm

Oh and I strongly suggest a condo for the secondary home.

You don't want to do upkeep on two houses... A condo can be left empty for a long time much easier than another house, and you don't have to worry about lawn care, etc.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

IMO

Post by IMO » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:45 am

AerialWombat wrote:
I thought that it would be just me and the little RV dancing into the sunset in my semi-retirement phase, but alas, after less than two months I'm already hankering for yet another place to call "home". I'm under contract on another house and will close in a couple weeks.

I kept a primary and a secondary residence for 2018/2019, but because I own so few material possessions (no furniture, no large electronics, etc)., I kept very, very little at whichever house I wasn't in at the time -- the stuff just came with me in transit. Only exceptions being bed and a few kitchen items. I realize that this is not the "normal" way of doing it.

Thanks for the input!
1st off, you are "out of the norm" even when it comes to a primary home. I must admit, the concept of not having any furniture such as a couch, a dining table, and a TV is very very odd to me. It seems odd socially. Are you married, do you date, do you have friends over????? Most people find it odd if one doesn't have a TV for at least Netflix, Amazon prime, OTA free channels/news, let alone having no couch, no coffee table or no kitchen table. Are "minimalists" even legally allowed to own more than one home?

Honestly, the cost of used furniture/thift store furniture or even at Walmart is hardly expensive. In many places, people put nice things out on the curb with a "free" sign.

So, norm #1 is to keep the primary house fully furnished.

Norm #2 for me is to keep the 2nd home fully furnished.

Clothes: less is needed in 2nd location, anything else would fit into a carry-on. Computer: tablet/phone and small laptop. Playstation 3, yes at both locations even though it's not used at either really that often. Other things: higher end mt bike is currently transported seasonally but may just get a 2nd for convenience. Boat kept at one location for now. Internet yes, cable TV not at either house.

Car: Typically simply fly with carry-on and Uber/Lyft. Could drive, but would be a much longer drive than I desire. Car at 2nd home is old/well depreciated and works fine to run errands and make day trips. Could get by without a car once at 2nd home with easy bike ride to market, healthcare, restaurants, hiking and biking in area. However, can afford the convenience of the extra car, so why not.

There are other things required in the lifestyle choice of a 2nd home, such as internet based security camera's and internet based main water control/leak detection system. Opening up/shutting down home takes 10 minutes.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:18 am

I have done 110 miles away as a kid, they kept a "Go Box" that you put stuff in you wanted to take with you that weekend.
This was a weekend place and no work clothes just casual stuff.
But yes, everything duplicated, except cars.
No TV's.

I have done 135 miles as an adult, a weekend house.
Same thing as above, with the exception that sometimes I worked from there--so internet 7x24x365.
No cable, but TV with DVD player.
No phone, but cell coverage.
No separate cars, if we each needed a car, we would each drive.
Different weather, so different clothes, but otherwise everything was fully stocked.

I have done 330 miles, through L.A. traffic.
6 months in each place.
Completely different in that perishables need to be tossed when transitioning, and mail needs to be managed.
Have a neighbor that watches the house, and a friend who does a walk through 1/week.
Video doorbell is a big help.
Water shutoff for appliances and sprinklers' rain sensor is a big help.
I keep a stinky ol' truck there as a second car, just because I had one--I would probably buy a second car off Craigslist otherwise.
House was furnished through estate sales and Costco.
Biggest pet peeve is people leaving business cards and/or flyers under the door mat.

msk

Post by msk » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:12 am

If you want this lifestyle for many years duplicate everything, including cars once the long drive gets boooooring. A suitcase per person back and forth is tolerable. DW packs her favorite teas/herbs/etc. into her suitcase for use fresh the first few days. I have friends with 3 homes. They triplicate everything, including cars. Another couple did not wish to look after a second home at the secondary location, so they bought a 5-star hotel and reserve one suite for themselves year round. Extra friends and family members just book more rooms. If you do not wish to duplicate, it's simply not worth the bother IMHO.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:22 am

We mostly keep two sets of everything including toiletries. The only things we bring to the beach house on a typical weekend are a bag of clothes, a good book, first aid kit, and a cooler with whatever food I am bringing for the weekend. Beach house is 90 minutes drive from home.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:11 pm

scifilover wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:01 am
Got you beat. We have a second home 11,000 km away in Renaca Chile.

Circumstances are kind of unique though. We are basically inheriting a beach house from my wife's parents who are Chilean and live in Santiago. They are still alive and don't want to part with it yet and it is full of their collectibles and memories even though they rarely go there anymore and it is mostly my wife and brother who have to manage the place. When both parents pass my wife and her brother will almost certainly put it up for sale. If we did that now we'd probably have to devote a room of our house here in the Portland area to their art and collectibles and pay a fortune to ship them all up here. So it is easier just to keep the beach house.

We do stay there when we go visit Chile. But honestly it would be so much easier just to get a nice modern AirB&B on the beach of which there are hundreds than open up their dusty old place and fuss about the plumbing and such.

As for what is duplicated? Everything, except clothing and cars. We just rent a car when visiting Chile.

scifilover

Post by scifilover » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:11 am

Winter rentals here are $3k to $3.5k a month. Half the 2500 homes are seasonal. Of these, some are rentals, but most seasonal homes are owned by someone with another place up North, There is big demand with anything coming on the market going very quickly. A lot of folks start out as seasonal owners, but then later on become full time.

Personally, I am tall and if given a chance, I want a big bed, and comfortable furnishings. DW has her own desires. These can best be met if we own a place rather than renting. It is all personal choice, there is no right or wrong approach. Some folks are happy spending the Winter in a 40' single-wide. Others do it in an RV. 8-)

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:33 am

I've been going back and forth at least once a month between California and Ohio for the past ~6 years.

I've duplicated everything essential to get to the point that I generally only travel with my laptop bag and a small carry-on (for a change of clothes and toiletries in case I get stranded overnight in my connecting city).

Once in a while I will need something that I haven't duplicated, and most often I find that I'm not using that specific thing at the other home. Last item that comes to mind is a bundt cake pan. No need to duplicate something that's rarely used... just rebalance the inventory. :)

I also once traveled with a carry-on bag full of plastic hangers, since I'd accumulated a surplus in one location, but had a shortage at the other.

Startingover2019

Post by Startingover2019 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:43 am

scifilover wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:01 am
This is our 7th Winter in a warmer place.
Currently we drive back and forth in a minivan....
Anything except clothes and personal electronics has been duplicated.

Before we got 2nd house, we experimented with other approaches to getting warmer during Winter. Having 2nd house is cheaper once you get to 4 or more months of rentals.

We have a house watcher for the Winter house when we aren't here ( $50-60 a month). He comes by every week to check the place out. 2nd. house has separate water valves for irrigation and domestic usage so we can turn off water and reduce chance of sudden water damage. 2nd house in extremely low crime area. Between nosy neighbors, security patrols, and local police crooks have it tough.

At some point we will get tired of the drive, buy a car to leave at 2nd house and fly. Folks here who do that leave some clothes and ship the rest.

With this lifestyle, problems can arise but that is just part of the price you have to pay.

This is definitely a first world situation.....
Nah. It’s very common in the third world Africa too. A city home and a village home. The village home is an expected must have from the parents. You come home for visits and holidays and you stay in your second home that’s self sufficient.

Startingover2019

Post by Startingover2019 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:45 am

msk wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:12 am
If you want this lifestyle for many years duplicate everything, including cars once the long drive gets boooooring. A suitcase per person back and forth is tolerable. DW packs her favorite teas/herbs/etc. into her suitcase for use fresh the first few days. I have friends with 3 homes. They triplicate everything, including cars. Another couple did not wish to look after a second home at the secondary location, so they bought a 5-star hotel and reserve one suite for themselves year round. Extra friends and family members just book more rooms. If you do not wish to duplicate, it's simply not worth the bother IMHO.
Wow, to just up and buy a 5star hotel. Definitely a rich people thing.

Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 am

Part of the upside of a second home for me is it’s a “home”. So in the ten plus years we’ve had a place three hour drive away it’s great to just get in the car and go. Little thought about what to bring/pack it’s all duplicated. Do have to plan food somewhat although if it’s just a weekend, eat out one night and you’re pretty much there.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:51 am

There's bringing food, and then there is BRINGING food...

We've rented condos in the past with a kitchen... Love having a full kitchen so we can have breakfast and lunch there and even a dinner or two. But you have to go to the store on the first day and get everything you might need.

And you always get too much or too little.

With your own place, having all the little stuff like ketchup and salsa and pickles and mayo (YOUR favorite brands), etc. in the fridge makes this so much easier.

For the weekend, you don't need much at all, and even if you are there for a week or two, you just buy the big stuff. You don't have to worry about seasonings or sauces or having enough crackers or chips or cereal (or croutons for the salad!). No worries about buying too much, just leave it in the pantry or frig for the next time you come out.

North Texas Cajun

Post by North Texas Cajun » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:10 pm

I live in the Dallas suburbs. Of my two dozen regular golf buddies, I know that four have second homes.

DP owns a condo in Steamboat Springs. He drives there when he visits about four or five times a year. The condo is fully furnished, and several relatives regularly use it. DP has had to coordinate repairs one time.

SG has a home in Michigan. He lives there in the hot months of May through Sept, when Dallas is unbearable for some. SG has golf buddies in both places.

GR owns a beach house in Galveston, which he and relatives use from time to time. He used to rent it to strangers, but got tired of having to deal with bad tenants. I would never, ever try this.

RK has a winter home - a mobile home - in Mesa, Az. He spends December through March there, and leaves it unoccupied the rest of the year.

Another friend, also DP, has the easiest second home. For at least a decade, he’s been renting the same fully furnished house located a few miles north of Yellowstone. The owner dislikes the summer vacation crowds. DP says he never goes into the park, as the wildlife frequently visit him. This DP never had to deal with maintenance or bad tenants. The three months rent is high but probably less than the annual cost of buying. He told me that he doesn’t care about missing out on capital appreciation. His kids will be getting plenty anyway.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:46 pm

AerialWombat wrote:

When I retired, the initial plan was to maintain residences in both Illinois and Arizona. Since the house that we purchased was fully furnished and had been used as a rental, it seemed pretty reasonable.

That lasted for about six months. It is hard to maintain two households and the various groups of friends and the like. It is also quite pricey with two separate overheads. And that does not include the potential tax implications.

However, I have a lot of friends who divine their years between Illinois and Arizona. Most of them have complete sets of household goods and clothing. They carry their laptops between locations.

Yes, they keep a car in Arizona. It is generally a car that they brought from Illinois and left here. Nearly all of then keep their car in some storage unit to avoid pack rats or other issues with the vehicles.

==============
Since our parents are all 85+, when we left Illinois, we dropped off a good deal of clothes at both of our parents' houses as well as a complete supply of toiletries and the like (as well as cold weather gear that we do not need in S. Arizona). These were all clothing that we would have dumped off at Goodwill anyway. This makes the trip packing a lot easier.