Subaru Outback engine stop/start

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jpohio

Subaru Outback engine stop/start

Post by jpohio »

I test drove a 2020 Subaru Outback yesterday and was very impressed with the looks, ride, quality, and features/functions. When I stopped at a stop sign, the engine apparently shut off, and when I pressed the gas pedal the engine started up again. Sales person said that "feature" could be turned off. However, research I have done so far indicates that while you can shut the feature off, when you shut the car off that feature automatically turns back on - so if you don't want it you need to turn it off every time you get in the car. This seems like it could get very annoying very quickly.

For those with Subaru's - have you found a way to turn off this feature permanently, do you just live with it, or do you shut it off prior to every trip?

Thanks
jbmitt

Re: Subaru Outback engine stop/start

Post by jbmitt »

I’m not aware of a permanent fix. Since it’s done to improve fuel economy, I wonder if it’s deliberate to discourage your plan?
ohai

Post by ohai »

Sounds like just bad design. BMW, Mercedes, and so on had non-defeatable engine stop/start before, but gave an option to turn it off in later models after customers complained.
rh00p

Post by rh00p »

No car manufacturers provide such a permanent disable feature. Browse the Subaru forums to see if anyone came up with a hack. I'm sure it could be rewired to automatically disable every time upon startup, utilizing circuit breakers and resistors to simulate the driver manually pushing the button. Or even a plug-in aftermarket module if such exists.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

2020 Volvo’s allow start/stop to be permanently disabled.

I actually like start stop functionality. There’s no reason to be burning 0.4 gallons an hour when not moving.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Having recently purchased a 2019 Subaru, I have not found a permanent fix. There are several switches on the dash that affect various functions, including this one. You are right that it reverts to the automatic stop position when the engine is turned off completely. Over time, my solution has become to enter the cabin, put on the seat belt, start the engine and disengage the stop/start function before moving. You can stop at a light or sign without engaging the stop/start function, however. If you engage the brakes adequately to stop, but not excessively firmly, the function will not activate. However, that is not reliable since it is common, for me at least, to add additional pressure while stopped and diverted by the length of the light, conversation, etc. The larger problem for me is that when the engine starts again, it is not a smooth start. The roughness strongly suggests the possibility of eventual damage to the starter over time, so I habitually disengage the function.

Tim
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

jpohio wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:45 am I test drove a 2020 Subaru Outback yesterday and was very impressed with the looks, ride, quality, and features/functions. When I stopped at a stop sign, the engine apparently shut off, and when I pressed the gas pedal the engine started up again. Sales person said that "feature" could be turned off. However, research I have done so far indicates that while you can shut the feature off, when you shut the car off that feature automatically turns back on - so if you don't want it you need to turn it off every time you get in the car. This seems like it could get very annoying very quickly.

For those with Subaru's - have you found a way to turn off this feature permanently, do you just live with it, or do you shut it off prior to every trip?

Thanks
I dont have a comment on the car "feature". I just thought this is so similar to bluetooth on my iPhone. They have made it harder to turn it off (doing so without going to settings turns it off for 24 hr period). I get why they are doing it, but it is annoying.
conservativeinvestor

Post by conservativeinvestor »

This is one of the reasons Subaru was crossed off my list when recently purchasing a new car.

The only way I could determine by searching the internet for a way to bypass this when researching Subaru's was that many people mentioned if you have a trailer connected the auto stop / start would not engage. People were saying you could plug in a trailer harness but not actually attach a trailer to turn this off permanently. I'm not sure if it effects any other functions of the car, do a google search and look around some forums, you aren't the only one who wants to permanently turn it off.

The reason they don't allow this feature to be permanently turned off in the car settings is because the EPA mile per gallon ratings are based on having this feature active which allow Subaru to advertise / get higher fleet MPG ratings to meet CAFE standards. If it were able to be permanently disabled the advertised EPA MPG rating would have to be decreased as well.
Last edited by conservativeinvestor on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My wife’s Porsche has that, and it’s disabled by going into Sport mode. My Tesla doesn’t have that feature 😁
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I recently drove a Volvo rental that had this feature. It was unnerving at first but I got used to it. I'm not sure how long I could live with it; I may not have "got used to it" so quickly if I didn't know I was turning in the car in just a few days.

Another thing that bugged me at first was the lane assist feature. I didn't know it had this feature (and I'd never driven a car with that feature before). It and I did not always agree on exactly where the car should be positioned in the lane so it felt like the front end alignment was flaky until I figured it out. I actually think this feature could be dangerous!

Otherwise, I liked the Volvo. It was the S90 model.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
maineminder

Post by maineminder »

A hack, but if you turn on the rear window defroster it won't shut the engine off. That's only one click and not several to get to the setting to turn it off.

You can also add a shortcut on your infotainment system display to shorten the number of steps you need to turn it off after you start the car.

You may find this very long thread in the outback forum interesting:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/p ... em.516504/
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

In my view, the most annoying "improvement" ever devised by car manufacturers. Not having this feature was one of my top five reasons for buying two Mazdas. Mazda doesn't employ this feature in their vehicles sold in the US. Yet.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

El Greco wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:42 am In my view, the most annoying "improvement" ever devised by car manufacturers. Not having this feature was one of my top five reasons for buying two Mazdas. Mazda doesn't employ this feature in their vehicles sold in the US. Yet.
Right. It isn't a benefit to the auto consumer. It is a benefit to the auto manufacturer.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

rh00p wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:58 am No car manufacturers provide such a permanent disable feature.
This is not true. In Volvos, for example, the stop/start feature can be disabled permanently via a menu in the infotainment system. There are others.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Why do folk think it difficult to turn the feature off when starting the car? Seems like a routine thing. Isn't this much ado about nothing?
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 am Why do folk think it difficult to turn the feature off when starting the car? Seems like a routine thing. Isn't this much ado about nothing?
Well, if you have a modern ignition you don't even need to turn the key. It's a simple button push. Adding an extra step to driving off is an annoying distraction and inconvenience. That extra step is not just flipping a switch or pushing a button. One must wait for the computer to boot up and initialize itself then navigate through a menu system to find the setting.

Yes, first world problem, but that's the world I (happily) live in!
Teague

Post by Teague »

My car has the same feature/problem. I've made it part of my routine to turn it off when starting. That said, if I'm stuck at a train crossing or something long like that, I will temporarily re-enable it.
Semper Augustus
inverter

Post by inverter »

You'll get used to it and its invention corresponded with a significant redesign of starters to be more reliable. I turned it off on my BMW but soon got sick of turning it off, and then got used to it. No problems thus far.
sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 »

Nowizard wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:07 am Having recently purchased a 2019 Subaru, I have not found a permanent fix. There are several switches on the dash that affect various functions, including this one. You are right that it reverts to the automatic stop position when the engine is turned off completely. Over time, my solution has become to enter the cabin, put on the seat belt, start the engine and disengage the stop/start function before moving. You can stop at a light or sign without engaging the stop/start function, however. If you engage the brakes adequately to stop, but not excessively firmly, the function will not activate. However, that is not reliable since it is common, for me at least, to add additional pressure while stopped and diverted by the length of the light, conversation, etc. The larger problem for me is that when the engine starts again, it is not a smooth start. The roughness strongly suggests the possibility of eventual damage to the starter over time, so I habitually disengage the function.

Tim
Perhaps someone can confirm how it works on the 2020 Outback. It seems the switch has been replaced by a menu item. Do you need to go into the setup/option menu and disable it every time you start the car?

The start stop feature changes the way I shop for cars. After making my list, I immediately remove those with start/stop 'technolog'; I don't consider it a useful feature.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:23 am My wife’s Porsche has that, and it’s disabled by going into Sport mode. My Tesla doesn’t have that feature 😁
It's not super uncommon, even my very plebeian Ford Escape can defeat auto start/stop with 'Sport' mode. The biggest issue for me is the loss (or partial loss) of heating / cooling power Auto S/S in on.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

For Chryslers there's a hardware dongle that plugs into the ODB-II socket as a permanent defeat.

No such option for Subaru?
dbr

Post by dbr »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 am Why do folk think it difficult to turn the feature off when starting the car? Seems like a routine thing. Isn't this much ado about nothing?
For example another thing that can exist (it does in my Subaru) is a compass display in the rear view mirror. You push a button to turn it off, but it is on again by default when you start the car again. (There are people who put electrical tape over it.) You don't buy a car that does not have a compass display because sometimes it is useful and it comes with the trim level. Now there are two things that have to be reset to drive the car, that is after seat belt, whatever entertainment settings that have to be renewed, after any seat adjustments that someone else left in the wrong place, etc. It's a camel' s back situation.

Anyway, the point is that all this adds up to having to run a pre-drive checklist that gets to be time consuming and annoying. The direction this is taking is some way along to what might be involved to run the checklists in a commercial airliner.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

I currently have a 2016 Outback, and have been drooling about the new 2020's because of the increased towing capacity. However, having not yet driven one, I did not know about this new "feature". This might be a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the heads up.
jucor

Post by jucor »

bertilak wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:46 am
El Greco wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:42 am In my view, the most annoying "improvement" ever devised by car manufacturers. Not having this feature was one of my top five reasons for buying two Mazdas. Mazda doesn't employ this feature in their vehicles sold in the US. Yet.
Right. It isn't a benefit to the auto consumer. It is a benefit to the auto manufacturer.
That is only true if you assume there is no benefit to the consumer from saving fuel and reducing emissions... :annoyed
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

jucor wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:23 pm
bertilak wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:46 am
That is only true if you assume there is no benefit to the consumer from saving fuel and reducing emissions... :annoyed
And those are my assumptions. Most all of my driving is on major highways or country roads where those savings would be trivial. I stay out of cities, as best I can! :happy
framus

Post by framus »

dbr wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm
For example another thing that can exist (it does in my Subaru) is a compass display in the rear view mirror. You push a button to turn it off, but it is on again by default when you start the car again. (There are people who put electrical tape over it.) You don't buy a car that does not have a compass display because sometimes it is useful and it comes with the trim level. Now there are two things that have to be reset to drive the car, that is after seat belt, whatever entertainment settings that have to be renewed, after any seat adjustments that someone else left in the wrong place, etc. It's a camel' s back situation.

Anyway, the point is that all this adds up to having to run a pre-drive checklist that gets to be time consuming and annoying. The direction this is taking is some way along to what might be involved to run the checklists in a commercial airliner.
I'm very interested in the 2020 Outback.Currently we have a 2013 Toyota Venza. I recently read the owner's manual for the Outback.
Sheesh, this car is so much more a computer than the Venza that I decided that if I'm going to get the Outback I'd better do it while I still have the capacity to learn the intricacies of the Outback's "Infotainment System". :oops:

Turning off the Auto Start/Stop and controlling all the various computerized functions of the car seems somewhat "complex and wonderful". I'm uncertain about Subaru's track record in supporting and improving their software and the online forums lead me to reconsider my interest in the car.
-Framus
maineminder

Post by maineminder »

sawdust60 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:43 am
Perhaps someone can confirm how it works on the 2020 Outback. It seems the switch has been replaced by a menu item. Do you need to go into the setup/option menu and disable it every time you start the car?

The start stop feature changes the way I shop for cars. After making my list, I immediately remove those with start/stop 'technolog'; I don't consider it a useful feature.
Yes, the switch has been replaced by a menu item that takes several 'clicks' to get to...

There are a few hacks to stop it from shutting the car off when you stop. I mentioned one earlier and a way to get to the menu item a bit easier.

BTW, I'm not a fan as when it starts it not a smooth operation. Startling at first, but maybe I'll get used to it.
maineminder

Post by maineminder »

framus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm
dbr wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm

I'm very interested in the 2020 Outback.Currently we have a 2013 Toyota Venza. I recently read the owner's manual for the Outback.
Sheesh, this car is so much more a computer than the Venza that I decided that if I'm going to get the Outback I'd better do it while I still have the capacity to learn the intricacies of the Outback's "Infotainment System". :oops:

Turning off the Auto Start/Stop and controlling all the various computerized functions of the car seems somewhat "complex and wonderful". I'm uncertain about Subaru's track record in supporting and improving their software and the online forums lead me to reconsider my interest in the car.
-Framus
One feature that may make it easier to push out fixes and improvements is the car can actually connect to your wireless router and pull updates down. I've heard they have made a map update to the nav system available (I don't have it) and you can get it over your wifi connection. I have yet to hear of any other updates distributed this way for the 2020.
rh00p

Post by rh00p »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:16 am
rh00p wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:58 am No car manufacturers provide such a permanent disable feature.
This is not true. In Volvos, for example, the stop/start feature can be disabled permanently via a menu in the infotainment system. There are others.
While I'm not 100% familiar with 2020 Volvos and their respective trim options usually a 'permanent disable' at the OEM level is simply turned off when in certain driving modes (ie: sport, track).

Also to keep in mind is the increase in wear of your starter, flywheel and engine. Now if you're leasing then you don't care.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

RootSki wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:03 am 2020 Volvo’s allow start/stop to be permanently disabled.

I actually like start stop functionality. There’s no reason to be burning 0.4 gallons an hour when not moving.
When the engine turns off, does the air conditioner (or heater) turn off as well? What about headlights? The radio? Wipers?

If not, all of these systems seem like they would cause a pretty big drain on the battery, and (as noted previously) potentially harsher wear on the starter. Seems like burning 0.4 gallons of fuel is a small trade-off for not subjecting oneself to increased wear.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Random Poster wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm
RootSki wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:03 am 2020 Volvo’s allow start/stop to be permanently disabled.

When the engine turns off, does the air conditioner (or heater) turn off as well? What about headlights? The radio? Wipers?

If not, all of these systems seem like they would cause a pretty big drain on the battery, and (as noted previously) potentially harsher wear on the starter. Seems like burning 0.4 gallons of fuel is a small trade-off for not subjecting oneself to increased wear.
But that stuff is not measured nor punished by the EPA.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

Random Poster wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm

On mine it does not turn off A/C but I have the PHEV. On a regular ICE only there is a supplemental support battery for vehicle functions. I think A/C turns off unless it’s on Max. Do you not believe that Volvo’s engineers designed cam position sensors to know exactly where to put fuel and spark and a beefed up the starter motor to handle several hundred thousand starts?
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

I am an engineer working in the automotive industry. I am on the engine combustion side, not on electrical. However, I think I can give some context regarding the engine stop/start.

By federal regulations, this stop/start functionality cannot be permanently turned off.

With regards to the wear, the systems are designed to be robust enough to tolerate a long term usage with stop/starts. It might not seem like much, but the stop/start system is design to help us tackle the emissions and CO2 output during federal drive cycle tests. Every bit helps.
batpot

Post by batpot »

why are people so adverse to this feature?
Just because "it's different"?
I'm so confused why this is such a big turn off.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

jpohio wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:45 am I test drove a 2020 Subaru Outback yesterday and was very impressed with the looks, ride, quality, and features/functions. When I stopped at a stop sign, the engine apparently shut off, and when I pressed the gas pedal the engine started up again. Sales person said that "feature" could be turned off. However, research I have done so far indicates that while you can shut the feature off, when you shut the car off that feature automatically turns back on - so if you don't want it you need to turn it off every time you get in the car. This seems like it could get very annoying very quickly.

Thanks
We have a Forester and it has the same features which we don’t mind. The feature we find irritating is the radio ALWAYS being on. (Side note: the clock is hard to reprogram. Ecch.)
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

RootSki wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:10 pm Do you not believe that Volvo’s engineers designed cam position sensors to know exactly where to put fuel and spark and a beefed up the starter motor to handle several hundred thousand starts?
The engineers may have designed everything correctly.

The accountants may not have let everything be built as designed. :wink:
mrc

Post by mrc »

Thanks
Why don't you like the idea? Hybrid do this routinely.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

Agreed. I'll never buy a car with this feature.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

batpot wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:40 pm why are people so adverse to this feature?
Agreed. I don't get all the hate. My car has this feature and I don't mind it at all. In fact, it is a positive. I'll look for it in my next car. Why have the engine run while you're sitting at a stoplight, or waiting for a train, or at the airport passenger pickup? The car starts smoothly from a stop and, for me, there's no downside I can see.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

jpohio wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:45 am This seems like it could get very annoying very quickly.
My limited experience from two seperate car rentals was actually that I got used to it very quickly.

One was a Subaru Forester. The other was a Volvo, I think a V40. I actually rather liked that car, and wondered if Volvo was using the enlarged starter also for a low-end torque boost, because it was much peppier at the low end than I'm used to in a diesel car (this was in Europe), or even many gasoline-powered cars.

In both cars, after coming to a stop and the engine shutting off, if you released the brake most of the way, the engine comes back on and does not shut off again during that stop, so in both rental cars, it quickly became natural to do so for those times when I wanted a quicker start or even just in anticipation of a green light.
FrugalConservative wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:04 pm
Agreed. I'll never buy a car with this feature.
Why?

From my experience, I did not see a any significant downside in exchange for saving a little money and having a far better quality starter than in cars without the feature. I suppose it probably uses a more expensive battery, but I did not research that.

There is a slight additional hesitation when releasing the brake. It is just slightly longer than the time taken moving your foot to the throttle. If you're anticipating regular rapid starts, you probably don't want an automatic transmission anyways, so they Outback should already be off your list.

My overall conclusion is that while the slight delay is not desirable, it is not a major drawback, and is far less of a deciding factor than the other differences between similar models on the market. I would not personally seek out the start-stop feature, but I definitely would not cross a car off the list for having the feature.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

bertilak wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:56 am
Well, if you have a modern ignition you don't even need to turn the key. It's a simple button push. Adding an extra step to driving off is an annoying distraction and inconvenience. That extra step is not just flipping a switch or pushing a button. One must wait for the computer to boot up and initialize itself then navigate through a menu system to find the setting.

Yes, first world problem, but that's the world I (happily) live in!
In my opinion, burying it in a menu is the problem there. Some controls I don't think should even be legal to not be always directly accessible. While this one isn't quite in that category, like lights or wipers, it is close.

Preferably, rather than relegate it even to an always present touch screen button, functions that affect the driving experience and responsiveness directly should have a dedicated, tactile button or switch.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

Stop/start on (non-hybrid) Volvo’s works in two different ways.

Without auto-break hold engaged, S/s turns the engine back on when you release your foot from the brake pedal. I prefer the feel of this method.
With auto-brake hold engaged, S/s turns the engine back on when you press (tap) the accelerator. I really love auto break hold. It’s nice to stretch out at the lights.

I usually keep auto brake hold active. When driving a loaner I’ve developed the habit of tapping the accelerator a second or two before I want to move to wake the engine back up.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

batpot wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:40 pm why are people so adverse to this feature?
Because this adds addition NVH, disruption, and is just something new. Poorly designed ones will have engine shudder and noise when the engine restarts. Sometimes, there are places where the light turns green just as the car stops, and so the engine is stuck in a weird zone of neither on or off. This is a challenging issue to solve.

Sadly, all new cars will most probably come with this. New CO2 and emissions regulations will be even stricter, and penalties are very expensive. This is the main reason why we are all going to hybrids, NOT because we want to be 'green'. Just accept that we are trying to save you some fuel. If you don't like it, turn it off manually.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I admit, it is a little jarring when the engine starts up again. It's not smooth at all. There's also perceived wear and tear on the engine and starter based on faulty logic rather than facts. An engineer above already replied that the engine and starter are designed to handle this load.

I can't turn it off in my Ford and I wouldn't want to. It saves me money. Why would I want to spend more money going someplace when I don't have to. I actively try to force the engine to turn off by learning what speeds and pedal pressure that allows the engine to turn off.

I do agree, though. There should be a button to turn this feature off and stay off.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

There is absolutely no extra wear and tear at all, other than needing a stronger starter motor and larger battery
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

My Audi A4 does the same thing. I automatically push the button to turn it off when I start the car; takes 1 second.
N.Y.Cab

Post by N.Y.Cab »

I got used to pressing that @ button below the left dash to turn off the auto engine stop. It’s now part of my muscle memory for starting up the car.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

As a lifelong manual transmission person, I am contemplating purchasing what may be the last such vehicle, I assume that this technology is NOT available on a stick?
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Teague

Post by Teague »

smalliebigs wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:46 pm There is absolutely no extra wear and tear at all, other than needing a stronger starter motor and larger battery
I've wondered about this. Suppose the system is stopped for a light, and the clueless driver floors it the second the light turns green. Let's have them towing a good sized trailer, uphill, for good measure. So we've got all this load on the rod bearings and other parts squeezing out that oil film all of a sudden, before we've reestablished full oil pressure and flow, no? That sounds pretty dicey to me. What am I missing?
Semper Augustus
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:22 pm As a lifelong manual transmission person, I am contemplating purchasing what may be the last such vehicle, I assume that this technology is NOT available on a stick?
Manual transmissions are irrelevant in the era of 8 and 10 speed dct’s. They are fun and you do feel connected to the power train, for a daily driver, I’ll take more gears over a stick any day.