App for bodyweight exercise

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
novillero

App for bodyweight exercise

Post by novillero »

I saw one old post that said the 3-fund portfolio for Bogleheads is pushups pull-ups and squats. Lol. That is my basic workout!

I am looking for an app that does just two things, but I can’t seem to find my idea out there
1. I program the exercises.
2. It charts activity, reps and sets

Most important is that I don’t want the app telling me what exercises to do. And I don’t want a bunch of apps for each exercise... just one place for everything.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by novillero on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
life in slices

Re: App for bodyweight exercise

Post by life in slices »

I am a big fan of TRX. If you are okay spending the $100 on the straps, etc. They have a good ap with different bodyweight exercises; some are free and some have a cost to them (a one time purchase fee) but overall good IMO
turtle18

Post by turtle18 »

I use an app on my iPhone called Seconds or come up with several custom workouts like that. Not sure about built-in charting functionality but it can save workouts automatically to your apple workout history, which gives a lot of options for analytics.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I don't use an app myself but are you familiar with Reddit's bodyweight fitness community?

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitn ... ining_info

I've been doing their routines for years, love it.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

I've been using FitNotes lately and I dig it. You can copy previous workouts and adjust the weight/reps easily. Saves time when you're on a consistent program.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Jefit might fit the bill. You can create or download different workouts, including body weight only routines. You can go here and search for body weight routines after selecting beginner, intermediate or advanced, Sport, bulking cutting, etc and the download them to the app.
https://www.jefit.com/routines/
Here are some things the free app does
JEFIT will keep track of which exercises have been completed, the amount of sets and rep for the upcoming workouts and show previous logs, all crucial to staying on track and motivated.
JEFIT keeps track of your body statistics, showing progression in weight loss or gain, recording of body part sizes and helping a user record their Body Fat Percentage and BMI (Body Mass Index Number
When viewing lifting logs for the day, you are able to see each exercise that was completed, the full listing of the amount of repetitions, sets and weight that was recorded and you can even add more log information to each day.
When viewing an exercise detail page, you are able to see an animation that shows how to correctly perform the exercise being shown, which muscle groups that this exercise targets, the type of equipment used and a full length step by step description on how to execute the exercise to get the full benefits of its performing.
The Resting Timer feature allows the user to set a custom countdown timer to let them know when it is time to continue with their workout and begin their next set.
Countdown Timer function that will appear on the top of the page allowing the user to start a countdown of how long they would like to perform an exercise for. By clicking the Stop Watch button once again, you will initiate the Stop Watch Function which the application will generate a stop watch feature beginning from Zero and counting up to when you would like the timer to start.
https://www.jefit.com/faq/
zeal

Post by zeal »

I use Google Sheets if I want to track my workout progress.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:40 pm I don't use an app myself but are you familiar with Reddit's bodyweight fitness community?

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitn ... ining_info

I've been doing their routines for years, love it.
Excellent link.
Thanks for posting it.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
fposte

Post by fposte »

I like You Are Your Own Gym; there’s also a book.
Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 »

I second Jefit. You can search types of workouts including body weight exercises and build your own routines.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

We use the 7 Minute Workout, the original version from Johnson & Johnson. Free for iOS and Android.

It has the original workout, with optional warmup and cool down, a lot of variations, some with multiple cycles, and you can make your own workouts choosing the exercises, the number of cycles, and the time between exercises.

We've been able to stick with it, which is something!
yellowduck94

Post by yellowduck94 »

I've used the Freeletics app in the past and highly recommend it!