Xfinity mobile

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RobLyons

Xfinity mobile

Post by RobLyons » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:45 pm

Hi all.

It's been a while since I've cut any of my normal bills (most already cut years ago) but I just discovered a great cell phone deal I wanted to share. First, I have really high expectations for cell service - I'm weary of switching to any service that may have subpar reception or customer service.
For context, we have 2 lines, unlimited talk and text, and we use 3-6 GB/month for $94/month after corporate discount.

I just changed to Xfinity Mobile, (Verizon network) 3GB share plan, 2 lines, unlimited talk/text and got my wife the new iphone 11 for a grand total of... $53/month ! Saving nearly $500 this year!
(She was well overdue for a phone, plus we picked up her phone used on Swappa and buyer lied about the phone being paid off, so that phone was locked to ATT for life, so an upgrade was a necessity.) I had to pay tax on the full phone price so my first bill is $62.50, however they are discounting the iphone $250.

To ensure we don't go over our data plan, I turned off cellular data for myself. But if I do go over it's only $12/GB.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

mnsportsgeek

Re: Xfinity mobile

Post by mnsportsgeek » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:54 pm

Xfinity Mobile is a great option for a lot of people. I’m considering switching to them myself but am not wanting to give up the great international perks and upcoming 5G with T-Mobile.

Godot

Post by Godot » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:58 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:45 pm
Hi all.

It's been a while since I've cut any of my normal bills (most already cut years ago) but I just discovered a great cell phone deal I wanted to share. First, I have really high expectations for cell service - I'm weary of switching to any service that may have subpar reception or customer service.
For context, we have 2 lines, unlimited talk and text, and we use 3-6 GB/month for $94/month after corporate discount.

I just changed to Xfinity Mobile, (Verizon network) 3GB share plan, 2 lines, unlimited talk/text and got my wife the new iphone 11 for a grand total of... $53/month ! Saving nearly $500 this year!
(She was well overdue for a phone, plus we picked up her phone used on Swappa and buyer lied about the phone being paid off, so that phone was locked to ATT for life, so an upgrade was a necessity.) I had to pay tax on the full phone price so my first bill is $62.50, however they are discounting the iphone $250.

To ensure we don't go over our data plan, I turned off cellular data for myself. But if I do go over it's only $12/GB.
I'm curious about this, as it is a move I've contemplated. I've been slow to do it however because of my experience with Xfinity, and belief (somewhat justified given the opacity of their pricing practices) that they will find a way to jack up the price of broadband as soon as I sign up for cell plan (my experience with this company is not good). Is Xfinity your ISP as well?
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 pm

Godot wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:58 pm
RobLyons wrote:
Hi all.

I'm curious about this, as it is a move I've contemplated. I've been to slow to do it however because of my experience with Xfinity, and belief (somewhat justified given the opacity of their pricing practices) that they will find a way to jack up the price of broadband as soon as I sign up for cell plan (my experience with this company is not good). Is Xfinity your ISP as well?
Xfinity Mobile is a good deal, but Comcast offers it not out of generosity but to keep you as a broadband customer paying too much. There's a hefty surcharge if you drop broadband service.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:26 pm

I currently use Xfinity Mobile. No real complaints and saved money switching over about 18 months ago. Just be aware the pricing is changing. There will be new shared by the gig plans like 3 GB a month. For those that don't use data, you will be affected as no matter what you will be charged at least for 1 gig of data. No more 100mb free.

For my wife and I, I stay under 1 GB and she usually has unlimited. I check at the end of the billing cycle and change the unlimited plan if it is cheapwr to go by the GB.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:30 pm

02nz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 pm
Godot wrote:
RobLyons wrote:
Hi all.

I'm curious about this, as it is a move I've contemplated. I've been to slow to do it however because of my experience with Xfinity, and belief (somewhat justified given the opacity of their pricing practices) that they will find a way to jack up the price of broadband as soon as I sign up for cell plan (my experience with this company is not good). Is Xfinity your ISP as well?
Xfinity Mobile is a good deal, but Comcast offers it not out of generosity but to keep you as a broadband customer paying too much. There's a hefty surcharge if you drop broadband service.
I've been paying 39.99 a month for Xfinity internet. I was able to get the promo a 3rd time during a move with no hassle. My initial sign up was 29.99 a month. Will see what happens when the current plan ends.. Might not be as lucky.

Godot

Post by Godot » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:30 pm

02nz wrote:
Godot wrote:
RobLyons wrote:
Hi all.

Agreed, though I've yet to find many (any) company that offers anything out of generosity. Xfinity also has a monopoly on broadband in my town, so they can more or less screw customers over at will.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Topic Author
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:35 am

Godot wrote:
RobLyons wrote:
Hi all.

I'm curious about this, as it is a move I've contemplated. I've been slow to do it however because of my experience with Xfinity, and belief (somewhat justified given the opacity of their pricing practices) that they will find a way to jack up the price of broadband as soon as I sign up for cell plan (my experience with this company is not good). Is Xfinity your ISP as well?

Yes, Comcast/Xfinity is my cable and ISP as well..
I also don't trust them very much, so any issues I will be quick to take action.

Topic Author
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 am

02nz wrote:
Godot wrote:
RobLyons wrote:
Hi all.

Interesting!
Comcast is our only option in my city so I wouldn't leave them anyways. Not dropping down to DSL speeds

student

Post by student » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:45 am

I used xfinity mobile as my backup phone until recently. Since it is a backup phone, I do not use data and turned it off so it costs me nothing except tax. Starting next month, it has no free 100mb and so it will cost at least $12 (1 gig) regardless whether one uses data or not. In any case, it is still a good deal for a primary phone.

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:10 am

A friend that has Xfinity mobile complains that using it as a hotspot is sometimes slow to connect. Maybe its just him?

Verizon made FIOS available in our neighborhood about a year ago. Before that, Comcast was the only game in town. I switched to FIOS for internet and while I was at it I cut the cable cord. No regrets and saving $2,400/year! I have AT&T for mobile and my plan was grandfathered from many years ago so I have no complaints.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:19 am

02nz wrote:

Since we will likely continue as Comcast internet customers. Are we paying too much; $33/mo including tax & fees? IIRC the surcharge if you drop Comcast internet is $10/mo. Hardly "hefty" in my opinion.

We've had Xfinity Mobile for 2.5 years, have been happy with their service. Until the recent change to a 1GB shared minimum our bill for 2 lines had been $5-6/mo, tax and fees included. One unexpected bonus - our usage charges during our annual trips to Europe has been a tenth of what it had been when we were with AT&T.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:20 am

We are in the middle of switching from Verizon to Spectrum Mobile.

Spectrum Mobile uses Wifi and Verizon's network, so I'll get exactly the same coverage. That's important in our community as only the Verizon signal is strong enough.

We'll use the "by the gig" plan at $14/gig. Since my wife and I both use less than most data, it will cost us around $28/month, rather than the $93 we are paying for Verizon.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:21 am

I would be so happy if that happened in my neighborhood. I have gigabyte service from Comcast and the best our local DSL provider, CenturyLink, can do is 12MBs. A little more competition is always good. I have not considered Xfinity Mobile yet, partly because I don't want to be even more dependent on Comcast. :? We have Quad Play, which I will revisit as my contract gets closer to the end.
shunkman wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:10 am
A friend that has Xfinity mobile complains that using it as a hotspot is sometimes slow to connect. Maybe its just him?

Verizon made FIOS available in our neighborhood about a year ago. Before that, Comcast was the only game in town. I switched to FIOS for internet and while I was at it I cut the cable cord. No regrets and saving $2,400/year! I have AT&T for mobile and my plan was grandfathered from many years ago so I have no complaints.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:06 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:19 am
02nz wrote:

Since we will likely continue as Comcast internet customers. Are we paying too much; $33/mo including tax & fees? IIRC the surcharge if you drop Comcast internet is $10/mo. Hardly "hefty" in my opinion.

We've had Xfinity Mobile for 2.5 years, have been happy with their service. Until the recent change to a 1GB shared minimum our bill for 2 lines had been $5-6/mo, tax and fees included. One unexpected bonus - our usage charges during our annual trips to Europe has been a tenth of what it had been when we were with AT&T.
The surcharge for Xfinity Mobile if you drop broadband is $20 per line per month, so you'd pay $40/mo. With that surcharge Xfinity Mobile is more expensive than Red Pocket (where you can also choose Verizon). Also, at $33/mo it sounds like you have "triple play" pricing. For just internet (which is all many people need, increasingly) it's typically $60 and up once your year as a new customer is over. My "trick" is to sign up every year as a new customer, but that becomes complicated with Xfinity Mobile.

(I'm not knocking Xfinity Mobile, I have it and used it to get a nice rebate on a new iPhone, plus the ability to switch plans any time based on usage is nice. But I'm not keeping it when the year of broadband new customer pricing runs out if it means being stuck with Comcast broadband at higher prices or paying $20/mo/line for Mobile.)

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:59 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:06 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:19 am
02nz wrote:

The surcharge for Xfinity Mobile if you drop broadband is $20 per line per month, so you'd pay $40/mo. With that surcharge Xfinity Mobile is more expensive than Red Pocket (where you can also choose Verizon). Also, at $33/mo it sounds like you have "triple play" pricing. For just internet (which is all many people need, increasingly) it's typically $60 and up once your year as a new customer is over. My "trick" is to sign up every year as a new customer, but that becomes complicated with Xfinity Mobile.

(I'm not knocking Xfinity Mobile, I have it and used it to get a nice rebate on a new iPhone, plus the ability to switch plans any time based on usage is nice. But I'm not keeping it when the year of broadband new customer pricing runs out if it means being stuck with Comcast broadband at higher prices or paying $20/mo/line for Mobile.)
I only have internet and mobile services. TV is broadcast and Amazon Prime.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:32 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:59 pm
I only have internet and mobile services. TV is broadcast and Amazon Prime.
Lucky you, esp. if the $33/mo is not just for new customers.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:20 pm

I have used Xfinity Mobile for the past 11 months and have no complaints. I'm saving a decent amount; previous carriers were Verizon and Page Plus.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am

I just received email notification of my Xfinity mobile bill for the month: $5.71. :D

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:27 am

Colorado13 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am
I just received email notification of my Xfinity mobile bill for the month: $5.71. :D
Presumably you're on a grandfathered plan with 100MB of data, in which case save that notification for the nice memory. :happy Next month that's going away and you will have to pay at least $12 per month. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/ ... an-changes

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 pm

RobLyons wrote:

Just make sure that turning off cellular data does not have unintended consequences. I am using an old iPhone as a home phone on Xfinity Mobile. I turned off cellular data as a precaution since the phone would be on WiFi all the time. I found out that certain features do not work without the cellular data. The primary issue was related to voicemails. I could not see that one had been left or get a transcription of it without cellular data on. I also found that many types of notifications worked only on cellular data. So I ended up turning it on for the phone but off for almost all of the apps individually.

davebo

Post by davebo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:32 pm

I've been using XFINITY since Sept and no complaints. Service seems as good as what I had with Verizon and the price is much better. If they ever start jacking me around, I can easily switch.

Topic Author
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 pm
RobLyons wrote:

Just make sure that turning off cellular data does not have unintended consequences. I am using an old iPhone as a home phone on Xfinity Mobile. I turned off cellular data as a precaution since the phone would be on WiFi all the time. I found out that certain features do not work without the cellular data. The primary issue was related to voicemails. I could not see that one had been left or get a transcription of it without cellular data on. I also found that many types of notifications worked only on cellular data. So I ended up turning it on for the phone but off for almost all of the apps individually.

Excellent point. I noticed siri doesn't work with cellular data turned off and also some messages won't go through

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:56 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:18 pm
Katietsu wrote:
RobLyons wrote:

Excellent point. I noticed siri doesn't work with cellular data turned off and also some messages won't go through
Oh yeah. I forgot about that since it was another family member that had that problem. Took awhile to track that down since most of texting was working and Xfinity was not helpful with the diagnosis. MMS messages will not work with cellular data off. This is specific to iPhones. Androids on Xfinity do not have this quirk. This is particularly an issue if you miss incoming information and don’t know it.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:36 pm

I pay $240/yr for 8gb/mo with Mint. I don't see any cost savings going to Xfinity Mobile (unless you use little data). I don't want to give Comcast any more business than I have to and don't want my phone tied to my internet. If I am no longer able to get a good deal with Comcast on internet, I switch. YMMV

ajkown1

Post by ajkown1 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 pm

I've been with Xfinity mobile for just over a month now and have been very happy so far. I switched from Verizon and Xfinfiy uses their network so no difference at all to report. First bill for 1 gig of data was $14.44 with taxes and fees. I was holding my breath waiting for the catch but its all as advertised. I brought my own phone and was able to take advantage of using their service through Delta Skymiles Shopping portal and was also able to get a $50 gift card for joining.

phisher4

Post by phisher4 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:02 pm

[ quoted post and reply removed by admin LadyGeek]

A quick search of bogleheads.org for other Xfinity threads shows that there have already been multiple conversations on this topic, and while suspicious, perhaps there is no ill-intent.

There are so many MVNO (mobile virtual network operators) out there that have superior pricing, no requirements to have coincident services (i.e. broadband), and identical or better service. Why not discuss these other/better options?

Topic Author
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:32 pm

phisher4 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:02 pm

A quick search of bogleheads.org for other Xfinity threads shows that there have already been multiple conversations on this topic, and while suspicious, perhaps there is no ill-intent.

There are so many MVNO (mobile virtual network operators) out there that have superior pricing, no requirements to have coincident services (i.e. broadband), and identical or better service. Why not discuss these other/better options?
I honestly never heard of MVNO. Are they cheaper than $30 for 3 gigs? I'll look into them, thanks!

student

Post by student » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:40 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:32 pm
phisher4 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:02 pm

I honestly never heard of MVNO. Are they cheaper than $30 for 3 gigs? I'll look into them, thanks!
MVNO is a generic term for company who do not own any network and is a resellor. Xfinity Mobile is a MVNO.

mxs

Post by mxs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:52 pm

I am on Total Wireless ( a Verizon MVNO) and 2 lines with 30 GB shared is $57 + taxes/fees ( call it $62 ) a month. I am confident there is a cheaper MVNO than that for your lower level of data usage.

First step is to find what network works for you (TMobile, Verizon, Sprint, ATT, US Cellular, etc) then find the MVNO that has the best pricing for your needs. If Verizon is the best for you, them look at the many different MVNO's available. Paying for the premium service directly from Verizon etc is only worth it if you are getting a deep discount on a device or need hand holding setting things up.

Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 pm

I've been using Xfinity mobile for over one and half years. I've been happy with the service and price. I'm not thrilled about the new plan pricing that will be going into effect next month. I have 3 lines, 2 of those typically stay within the free 100 MB of data and the 3rd line is unlimited. I'm thinking we'll do the 10GB shared data for $60 per month. So after taxes it'll probably be closer to $70. I'm really debating switching to the T Mobile Magenta Military plan. It would be $90 per month for 3 lines with unlimited data for all. And of course we'd probably get a buy one get one phone deal for switching. I thought I'd be with Xfinity for a long time, but I'm really leaning towards making the switch.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:56 pm

Katietsu wrote:
RobLyons wrote:

I am starting to research Xfinity mobile. I already have them for internet service. I'm currently on Verizon but want to decrease costs.

Regarding old iPhones, I was told by Apple that the issue with VOICE MAILS was Verizon and not the fact it was an old iPhone or the need to use cellular service vs. wifi (in getting the voice mails.) But people like to point fingers at each other sometimes. :shock: I have been having the voice mail notification issue on and off for 3-4 years on my old iPhone 6. I try and check it randomly to make sure there aren't any new messages.

Reading through this thread, it doesn't seem like there are issues with "throttling" with Xfinity mobile, although I've heard about that on other BH threads. I already have a lot of Xfinity hot spots I use on my iPhone now so I'm using the Verizon cellular (LTE) less and less, especially this year.

Can anyone let me know if I switch to Xfinity mobile, and am already on Verizon, will I need a new SIM CARD at all? I don't think there should be any "locked phone" issues either since I own it and it's on Verizon. Any comments welcome. Thanks!

:happy

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:03 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:56 pm

Can anyone let me know if I switch to Xfinity mobile, and am already on Verizon, will I need a new SIM CARD at all? I don't think there should be any "locked phone" issues either since I own it and it's on Verizon. Any comments welcome. Thanks!

Reasonably certain the switch will require a new sim card from Xfinity. I can't tell you if your phone is locked.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:14 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Katietsu wrote:
RobLyons wrote:

I am starting to research Xfinity mobile. I already have them for internet service. I'm currently on Verizon but want to decrease costs.

Regarding old iPhones, I was told by Apple that the issue with VOICE MAILS was Verizon and not the fact it was an old iPhone or the need to use cellular service vs. wifi (in getting the voice mails.) But people like to point fingers at each other sometimes. :shock: I have been having the voice mail notification issue on and off for 3-4 years on my old iPhone 6. I try and check it randomly to make sure there aren't any new messages.

Reading through this thread, it doesn't seem like there are issues with "throttling" with Xfinity mobile, although I've heard about that on other BH threads. I already have a lot of Xfinity hot spots I use on my iPhone now so I'm using the Verizon cellular (LTE) less and less, especially this year.

re: throttling--

DS's line is on unlimited data. Practically every month several days prior to the end of the month he receives a notice with this message:

[his cell number] has hit 20 GB of data usage this month, so data speeds over the cellular network are reduced to a maximum of 1.5 Mbps download/750 Kbps upload. That's still plenty fast enough to watch high-quality video and stream music.

He doesn't complain to us about it, so I'm not sure how much of an issue it is for him or would be for others. He also receives notification as he is approaching 20 GB.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:22 pm

mnsportsgeek wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:12 pm
Xfinity Mobile is a great deal for those who have access to it and want unlimited data on the Verizon network for a fraction of the price.
Not really. Xfinity Mobile is $45/mo. Visible (Verizon-owned MVNO) is $40/mo, and you can easily drop that to $25 with "Party Pay" by joining a group (billing is still entirely separate). And of course Visible doesn't require Comcast service to avoid a surcharge.

Best use for Xfinity Mobile is those who need a few lines but have very little need for data.
Last edited by 02nz on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:23 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Katietsu wrote:
RobLyons wrote:

As far as the cellular data issue: Unless something has changed recently, you need to have cellular data turned on for the iPhone if you want to receive visual voicemail and if you want to send/receive MMS text messages. These features do not actually use data, or if they do, it is minuscule. Just needs to be on. I have had no problem at all with either feature with data on.

Xfinity is an MVNO. You will be an Xfinity customer not a Verizon customer. In fact, in a few small geographic areas without Verizon coverage, Xfinity has arrangements that would have you using the towers of a different provider. And on the flip side, there a very limited geographic locations where a Verizon customer would have service on a partner carrier but an Xfinity customer would have no service. Very few people will run in to this. A vast majority will see the same coverage.

As a customer of Xfinity, you will need an Xfinity SIM card. You will be porting your number. Verizon can also choose to give you lower priority than a Verizon direct customer during times of high network traffic. I have never experienced this. (On a previous carrier, I did experience this once when at a festival with tens of thousands of people but out in the boondocks presumably with limited cell service.)

You can review the plan details for speed and video resolution. Xfinity has a few different options depending on your needs.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:26 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:14 pm

re: throttling--

DS's line is on unlimited data. Practically every month several days prior to the end of the month he receives a notice with this message:

[his cell number] has hit 20 GB of data usage this month, so data speeds over the cellular network are reduced to a maximum of 1.5 Mbps download/750 Kbps upload. That's still plenty fast enough to watch high-quality video and stream music.

He doesn't complain to us about it, so I'm not sure how much of an issue it is for him or would be for others. He also receives notification as he is approaching 20 GB.

Thanks! That's helpful to know. I doubt if I would be that worried about it. I get a warning now with Verizon as I approach my limit.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:27 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:

They've had a deal for $200 of the new iphone SE when you port your line from another carrier, but the credit is spread over two years.

You will need a new SIM, and the only "bring your own" phone option is for iphone (6 or newer). They fudge around the topic a bit, but I do think that Xfinity has moved to manage their data costs on Verizon networks in several ways:

1) they limit data rates when you are using your phone as a hotspot to 600kb/s

2) they resize streaming video to standard definition (you can pay a premium to get HD)

3) they have lower data priority (vs direct Verizon customers) when the network is congested

Depending on your usage, these may or may not be important to you. We are low data users (no video), so the first two don't impact us. The third is difficult to quantify, because sometimes data service is bad no matter what; I think I ran into it for a couple of days in some specific circumstances last December (crowded resort area with lots of people streaming in the evenings), and it made even basic web browsing on the phone awkward, but I didn't have a network analyzer to verify it was deprioritization.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:31 pm

02nz wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:22 pm
mnsportsgeek wrote:
Xfinity Mobile is a great deal for those who have access to it and want unlimited data on the Verizon network for a fraction of the price.
Not really. Xfinity Mobile is $45/mo. Visible (Verizon-owned MVNO) is $40/mo, and you can easily drop that to $25 with "Party Pay" by joining a group (billing is still entirely separate). And of course Visible doesn't require Comcast service to avoid a surcharge.

Best use for Xfinity Mobile is those who need a few lines but have very little need for data.
I am the best use I guess. Comcast is my only option for internet so until I move or there is a breakthrough technology, I will be their customer. I have 4 lines. My bill last month, thanks to Stay at Home orders was $27 total or less than $7 a line. My largest bill ever was $78 when 2 of those phones spent a couple weeks traveling. Usual bill somewhere in between.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:11 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:23 pm

As far as the cellular data issue: Unless something has changed recently, you need to have cellular data turned on for the iPhone if you want to receive visual voicemail and if you want to send/receive MMS text messages. These features do not actually use data, or if they do, it is minuscule. Just needs to be on. I have had no problem at all with either feature with data on.

Xfinity is an MVNO. You will be an Xfinity customer not a Verizon customer. In fact, in a few small geographic areas without Verizon coverage, Xfinity has arrangements that would have you using the towers of a different provider. And on the flip side, there a very limited geographic locations where a Verizon customer would have service on a partner carrier but an Xfinity customer would have no service. Very few people will run in to this. A vast majority will see the same coverage.

As a customer of Xfinity, you will need an Xfinity SIM card. You will be porting your number. Verizon can also choose to give you lower priority than a Verizon direct customer during times of high network traffic. I have never experienced this. (On a previous carrier, I did experience this once when at a festival with tens of thousands of people but out in the boondocks presumably with limited cell service.)

You can review the plan details for speed and video resolution. Xfinity has a few different options depending on your needs.
Thanks! This is helpful.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:23 pm

02nz wrote:
mnsportsgeek wrote:

Per the Xfinity Mobile site, there appears to be a lower priced option:

For example:

By the Gig

1GB
$15/mo

3GB
$30/mo

The $45/mo option is only for unlimited data and I don't need that. 1-3 GB will suffice for me and would be lower than Visible @ $40/month.

It says you can "mix and match" FWIW. "Choose data By the Gig, Unlimited, or both so everyone gets exactly what they need."

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 pm

curmudgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:27 pm

They've had a deal for $200 of the new iphone SE when you port your line from another carrier, but the credit is spread over two years.

You will need a new SIM, and the only "bring your own" phone option is for iphone (6 or newer). They fudge around the topic a bit, but I do think that Xfinity has moved to manage their data costs on Verizon networks in several ways:

1) they limit data rates when you are using your phone as a hotspot to 600kb/s

2) they resize streaming video to standard definition (you can pay a premium to get HD)

3) they have lower data priority (vs direct Verizon customers) when the network is congested

Depending on your usage, these may or may not be important to you. We are low data users (no video), so the first two don't impact us. The third is difficult to quantify, because sometimes data service is bad no matter what; I think I ran into it for a couple of days in some specific circumstances last December (crowded resort area with lots of people streaming in the evenings), and it made even basic web browsing on the phone awkward, but I didn't have a network analyzer to verify it was deprioritization.
Thanks! Good information!

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm

02nz wrote:
mnsportsgeek wrote:

Xfinity has access to 5G for those that live in the 30 something metro areas they currently cover. And again. Apple Watch support.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:37 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:23 pm
02nz wrote:
mnsportsgeek wrote:

Per the Xfinity Mobile site, there appears to be a lower priced option:

For example:

By the Gig

1GB
$15/mo

3GB
$30/mo

The $45/mo option is only for unlimited data and I don't need that. 1-3 GB will suffice for me and would be lower than Visible @ $40/month.

It says you can "mix and match" FWIW. "Choose data By the Gig, Unlimited, or both so everyone gets exactly what they need."
Yes, that's why I said Xfinity Mobile works well for "those who need a few lines but have very little need for data." My other point was $45/mo isn't a good deal for unlimited when Visible is cheaper by almost half.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:02 pm

I removed several off-topic posts and replies (a few from January, 2020). As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.

...At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.