My Hotmail account is getting spammed big time

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

My Hotmail account is getting spammed big time

Post by squirm » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:44 pm

This is my primary account, had it for 20 years. It's set to exclusive. Haven't seen this happen before. Anyone else getting hit like this? Any fixes?

RickBoglehead

Re: My Hotmail account is getting spammed big time

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Spam filter, or get a non-antique email address.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Mine was too, until I rebooted my computer.

theac

Post by theac » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:07 pm

squirm wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:44 pm
This is my primary account, had it for 20 years. It's set to exclusive. Haven't seen this happen before. Anyone else getting hit like this? Any fixes?
Yep, same with my Hotmail. I'm getting at least 10 per day. Been happening for a while, but there was a lull a few months back. Pretty much a daily habit now to just quickly scan the list in my spam folder, highlight them all, and send them off to the Blocking list.

It's not my main account, but was one of my first, and I now use it as my #2 account for misc. stuff. I have kept Yahoo as my main account for banks, Vanguard, and the important stuff.

It really is a hassle to deal with all that spam tho :?
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:10 pm

I get a few daily. They're all obvious. Click to block, move on.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:18 pm

squirm wrote:
I thought Hotmail was discontinued decades ago. I am very surprised it is still active/available.

Do you pay for your Hotmail email address?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:43 pm

I have four Hotmail accounts. My primary one gets some spam but not an outrageous amount; (almost?) all of it gets filtered to my Junk folder.

One account I now use almost exclusively to visit two sites. It gets about the same amount of spam as the primary, but the amount has increased in the past six months or so. I am almost certain that one of those sites is selling my email address. Again, almost all is filtered to the Junk folder.

I use the other two accounts for specific and narrow purposes. I get almost no junk mail at all at either of those.

OP, I would guess that your issue is one or more specific sites where you use your email address rather than an issue of Hotmail itself. Perhaps some other email provider would provide better filtering for you?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:45 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:18 pm
squirm wrote:
I thought Hotmail was discontinued decades ago. I am very surprised it is still active/available.

Hotmail evolved (devolved ?) into Outlook. IIRC they quit issuing new Hotmail addresses but allowed those who had them already to keep them.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:59 pm

That is the nature of Hotmail accounts (like AOL accounts).
It is also the nature of accounts held for 20 years.

The fix? Open up a new account....gmail for example. It is much better than Hotmail on many levels- you will probably be happy you switched. Use it for friends, family and things that matter. Provide fake demographic information whenever possible. Use extensions like an ad-blocker, block third party cookies , uBlock Origin, Ghostery, HTMLS Everywhere. Never link your account to anything else that you do not need to link it to.

Save your Hotmail account for garbage, like if you purchase something online and they request an email address. It's always good to have an account for that purpose, where you don't care how much spam you get.

I use my old Hotmail account for garbage like that. I have had a gmail account for at least a decade now and still receive almost no spam. When I do I immediately report it as spam.

And whatever you do, NEVER link your personal email address to any social media platform. Make one up, or give them an email address that you don't link to your real personal info. If you use social media for business purposes, that is an exception- link it to a separate business address.

aas

Post by aas » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:10 pm

Hotmail is not my main account due past issues with spasms, but all the sudden since Yesterday I am getting several spam email a day. I through it was odd that I started to get this random spasm, must be spammers are getting around Hotmail spam filters

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:15 pm

duplicate
Last edited by Gnirk on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:18 pm

squirm wrote:
Yep. 😡 I’ve tried blocking the senders, designating it as junk, etc. Nothing works so far.

meebers

Post by meebers » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:49 pm

I have only 4 items in my "safe" senders file and a check mark to only accept those 4. Not working. This morning after I cleaned up what was there from last night by blocking them all, about 3 this after noon, there were 98 in my junk mail again. Something happened that has it screwed up. Blocking has no effect as the senders are using random numbers and letters as an address. Tempted to connect to hotmail via gmail as they have better filters but that will probably create another mess??

AF_Engineer

Post by AF_Engineer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 pm

OP, I had the same issue - until this morning, our Junk Mail filter in Microsoft Outlook was doing a good job on putting all the spam/crap into the Junk Folder. But then this morning, our In Box started to fill up with junk. I checked the "Junk" menu options, and sure enough, something had turned off the filter. So I turned it back on, and we're getting "clean" e-mail again.

I'm assuming some sort of Microsoft or Outlook patch in the last 24 hours may have turned off the Junk Mail filter, so check yours. Good luck.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:48 pm

aas wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:10 pm
Hotmail is not my main account due past issues with spasms, but all the sudden since Yesterday I am getting several spam email a day. I through it was odd that I started to get this random spasm, must be spammers are getting around Hotmail spam filters
Spam email is bad enough, but I really hate it when I get random spasms from email!! :P

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:01 am

My Geocities web page is in a sad state. AIM me if you have advice.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 am

I have an old Hotmail account that is not my primary email. I certainly get junk - I'm talking get-rich schemes and fake Costco gift certificates here, not legitimate businesses - but Microsoft's filter continues to work well for me. I periodically scan the junk folder for anything that doesn't belong there, and delete the rest, in a few seconds.

Blocking senders based on the "from" is usually not a very meaningful deterrent action.

If you are accessing email on an iPhone, using Apple's standard email app, it helps to have "Load Remote Images" off. Otherwise, if you inadvertently open a junk email, the spammers know that they have a good working address to spam.

Ptarmigan

Post by Ptarmigan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:29 am

In my experience Google/Gmail does a better job of filtering spam than Microsoft/Hotmail. You can take advantage of this by accessing your Hotmail email from a Gmail account. Several websites describe how to do this - here's a typical example:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/say-goodbye-hotmail-spam/

If you don't find any improvement you can drop it without having lost anything.

I also switch off the loading of images by default in all my email apps (on phone and PC), only loading the image manually if it is something I trust. Images (sometimes only 1 pixel in size) are often used by email senders to track whether an email has been opened.

Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:31 pm

I think there's lots of confusion here. First, the problem with the spam is it's getting through the exclusive filter. I don't care how much spam I get in the junk folder, it's just getting through the exclusive filter. The only emails that should be getting through are those on my contacts list. It turns out the spam is coming from one domain, I've blocked the domain, but it still is getting through. Obviously this is on purpose of the spammer. I'm assuming Microsoft is working on this, or I hope so.

Second, is I do have a gmail account and I don't see it being any better than the Microsoft account. I'm not going to trash my Hotmail account that I've had for twenty years because of this issue. Also, I think Microsoft has done a very good job in the past several years of beefing up their security. I'll trust Microsoft over Google as far as parsing through my emails...Google already knows all about me since I use an Android phone and the Google search all the time.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:45 pm

squirm wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:31 pm
I think there's lots of confusion here. First, the problem with the spam is it's getting through the exclusive filter. I don't care how much spam I get in the junk folder, it's just getting through the exclusive filter. The only emails that should be getting through are those on my contacts list. It turns out the spam is coming from one domain, I've blocked the domain, but it still is getting through. Obviously this is on purpose of the spammer. I'm assuming Microsoft is working on this, or I hope so.

Second, is I do have a gmail account and I don't see it being any better than the Microsoft account. I'm not going to trash my Hotmail account that I've had for twenty years because of this issue. Also, I think Microsoft has done a very good job in the past several years of beefing up their security. I'll trust Microsoft over Google as far as parsing through my emails...Google already knows all about me since I use an Android phone and the Google search all the time.
Since you clarified your issue, I will clarify my response. I am not seeing that issue on any of my four Hotmail accounts or on my one gmail account.

Good luck getting it resolved.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:48 pm

I too have a hotmail account (well, actually an msn.com account, but they are all part of MS outlook.live.com). It's been my main non-work email account for approaching 20 years. I never had much problem with spam, getting maybe a dozen per week.

This past summer the wife and I were at a wine-tasting street fair. There was a raffle for some car, and - against my general tendencies - I signed up. That was the only time I put my email address on something where I wasn't doing business. The raffle was being sponsored by an insurance agent, so I thought the worst that could happen was I would get sales call emails from the agent. I never did, but... About a month later I got an alert (I think from Credit Karma) that my email address had been found on the dark web. Very soon after that my spam messages went up to 50-100 per day. Web outlook does a pretty good job of filtering them out and putting them in my spam folder, but one or two of my good emails seems to find their way in there too. That means that I still have to go in and look through all that spam to save the ones that are not spam.

I pay $20/yr for ad-free access to my mail, and some large limit on my on-line folders. I also forward all my msn.com email to my gmail account, as I have been thinking for years that I might move over.

The OPs issue is pretty strange. Something seems to be way off there. OP: Are you using web outlook, or some other mail client?

walletless

Post by walletless » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:09 pm

I'm in the same boat as op. Until last week, I used to get most of the junk mail filtered into the spam folder. Starting Friday, In getting about 25-30 spam email in my inbox. Seems something is off at outlook.com, they must've pushed an update to their span detection service that is not working for them.

Gmail and Outlook have both been quite neck-on-neck for me in terms of spam detection in the past year or so. Microsoft has upped their game considerable, and the new email service with Hotmail/Outlook is actually quite good. Their mobile app on Android is equally good, and they're online interface is also very good. I lately prefer it over Gmail, where my personal email address used with friends/family are (my Outlook.com email is purely used for banking/brokerage account sign ups).

yog

Post by yog » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Have the same issue as OP, where recently a large volume of spam is making it through hotmail's junk filter.

The reason appears to be the sender is using non-ASCII characters in the sender's from address (using unicode symbols or emoji's). This is not SMTP compliant, so probably why it made it through and could be much harder to catch and block.

Creating a rule based on a keyword in the sender's address using a partial domain or the specific ASCII representation of the unicode symbol seems to work (for now).

walletless

Post by walletless » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:36 pm

yog wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:17 pm
Creating a rule based on a keyword in the sender's address using a partial domain or the specific ASCII representation of the unicode symbol seems to work (for now).
That's a great catch! Do you mind responding a bit more in detail on how to find the ASCII representation of the symbol? In my case, most "from" address has 🎈in it. I tried setting a rule for senders address containing \u1F388 but it did not work well.

szhman

Post by szhman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:54 pm

OP, I had the same problem. Lot of spam these past 2 days and been using hotmail for nearly 20 years. I'll go block them. My gmail got spammed more than the hotmail and for me outlook is better. Just my experience. Better to have one at protonmail and make it more secure. UI isn't friendly/pretty, but safer than all email providers.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:02 pm

I have the exact same issue. If the issue is what some others are implying, that a spammer just got "smarter" maybe then Microsoft will soon figure out a solution. I just went from my spam filter being 99% reliable sending things to the junk folder to about 95% unreliable. I don't want to hand-filter 70+ emails/day.

yog

Post by yog » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 pm

walletless wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:36 pm
yog wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:17 pm
That's a great catch! Do you mind responding a bit more in detail on how to find the ASCII representation of the symbol? In my case, most "from" address has 🎈in it.
Google "encode decode unicode" and use one of the tools to convert between unicode and text. For example, using the first tool that comes up in my google search, pasting a sender like 🎈.info<@>domain.com decodes to text of %uD83C%uDF88.info<@>domain.com

Try creating a keyword rule sending any sender containing %uD83C%uDF88 to junk, and hopefully that works for you.

walletless

Post by walletless » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:11 pm

rocket354 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:02 pm
I have the exact same issue. If the issue is what some others are implying, that a spammer just got "smarter" maybe then Microsoft will soon figure out a solution. I just went from my spam filter being 99% reliable sending things to the junk folder to about 95% unreliable. I don't want to hand-filter 70+ emails/day.
Thanks - let me try that. Based on the microsoft community forum, any filters, including unicode matches like above are not working. Looks like spammers have just gotten the better of Microsoft this weekend!
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/out ... 204b1074f8?

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm a Hotmail user as my primary email account. I just signed up for Fastmail trial and so far I'm impressed.

koala

Post by koala » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 am

I"ve also been using hotmail for 20 y. I get my share of junk mail, but the filter has worked pretty well and I haven't noticed an increase lately. I just checked my 'junk email' folder and found only for items from the past week. Unfortunately, one of the items was an email from Medicare, so I guess I'll need to check more frequently to see if other non-spam is being filtered out.

MrNo

Post by MrNo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 am

I am in the same boat. Long time hotmail/outlook user. in last 4 days I started to get overwhelmed with amount spam I am getting. every ~6 min a spam message on average. In all these years I have not seen anything this bad.

Its so bad that that I gave up & spent last hour looking for an alternative. It's like SPAM filter is not working for outlook/hotmail. There are only 6 SPAM messages in junk folder and rest is in my inbox.

Does anybody has a good email provider that they like?

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:22 am

If anything on this site is deserving of a "OK Boomer" tag this would be it.

I would convert your contact list to xml, buy a protonmail.com account and get up to this decade.
Yes you could go free with gmail if you do not care about your privacy or data (darn millennial's!).

gd

Post by gd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:42 am

I use an old hotmail account for low-interest organizations and online purchases. Spam surges are directly related to ordering bottom-priced stuff on Amazon.

MrNo

Post by MrNo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:51 am

I do have proton account that I am using solely for financial institutions.

For what is worth it seems it stopped & somebody came back to work & turned Spam filter back on. It stopped.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:28 am

MrNo wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:51 am

For what is worth it seems it stopped & somebody came back to work & turned Spam filter back on. It stopped.
Yes, around 2am this morning all spam that had been going to my main folder has now been successfully diverted to my spam filter. Seems like our 48 hour national nightmare is now over. :)

(At least until the next one.)

MrNo

Post by MrNo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:29 am

rocket354 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:28 am
MrNo wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:51 am

Yes, around 2am this morning all spam that had been going to my main folder has now been successfully diverted to my spam filter. Seems like our 48 hour national nightmare is now over. :)

(At least until the next one.)
Correct, same here. About same time

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:55 am

squirm wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:31 pm

My wife reports the same problem as of last week or so. No answer for you, but interesting that it’s a development.

ExPatKiwi

Post by ExPatKiwi » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm

MrNo wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 am
I am in the same boat. Long time hotmail/outlook user. in last 4 days I started to get overwhelmed with amount spam I am getting. every ~6 min a spam message on average. In all these years I have not seen anything this bad.

Its so bad that that I gave up & spent last hour looking for an alternative. It's like SPAM filter is not working for outlook/hotmail. There are only 6 SPAM messages in junk folder and rest is in my inbox.

Does anybody has a good email provider that they like?
I noticed the same thing over the last few days too.
Counting down to retirement on December 31st, 2024

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 pm

I also have a hotmail account that I use for a lot of stuff and it was being overwhelmed with spam in the last four or five days. Today the situation seems to have vastly improved.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:42 pm

MoonOrb wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 pm
I also have a hotmail account that I use for a lot of stuff and it was being overwhelmed with spam in the last four or five days. Today the situation seems to have vastly improved.
100% agree longtime user looks like they may have solved the problem... :sharebeer

Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:55 pm

I haven't had a spam message appear in my inbox since last night, have ton's of spam for ED in the junk folder though.
My wife was hit the worst, so I switched her settings to just throw all messages into junk. I'll undo that tomorrow if everything appears back to normal.

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:18 pm
squirm wrote:

lol

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:06 pm

squirm wrote:
no longer my primary account (gmail), but I still have 20+ years of history tied to my hotmail, so I check it many times daily. glad I am not the only one that noticed an incredible 1000% increase in spam in the last few days. very odd. no clue why. just have to manually hit the block/phishing button over and over again. very strange. my gmail has not had this issue.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:41 pm

My hotmail account exists entirely to receive spam (it's what I use to sign up for "free" newspaper access, etc.), but a ton of spams got through the filter yesterday. After marking them all as 'junk', it's been back to normal today.

DonM17

Post by DonM17 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:18 am

If you are fed up with Hotmail...here is a free alternative that works great gmx.com

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:03 am

I have Spectrum Email and had only a few spams before Christmas, but none now. I also do not click on any Emails I do not know the sender of, do not click on addresses within an Email, and do not volunteer my Email address.
I also have a Gmail address, and that receives all the garbage mail from Facebook 'friends'. I could not figure out how to cancel Facebook. Basically it seems, that if you have joined various social places, you will also get a lot of spam.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:04 am

I have a couple of hotmail accounts that I originally got back in the 1990s or maybe earlier. I don't give it out to anyone but still get an occasional email there and check it rarely. I did notice a number of spam emails in the inbox, usually I just see hundreds in the spam filter.

Personally I wouldn't use hotmail for anything official (e.g., on a resume) since it would look pretty poor IMO, especially if you are looking for a tech job. Gmail seems to be the standard now, or possibly Apple or a paid service (e.g., fastmail). All of which seems better.

Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:29 am

Not sure why the bashing of Hotmail..
.Gmail, etc isn't any better. When a business uses a Gmail account it doesn't make them appear any better than some other web based email.

Anyway, Microsoft seemed to fix the bug.

meebers

Post by meebers » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:56 pm

I am still getting 30-40 junk msn emails a day. Went thru every? option but no luck. Have tried i.e. 9jdf;liw5q9384hfa83@junk.com and blocked it by using *@junk.com" hoping that any junk from @junk.com would be filtered out. Keep looking at the "filter" option and it looks senseless nothing there to help. :shock: