Some possible luxury SUV choices to buy: Opinions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ztx

Re: Some possible luxury SUV choices to buy: Opinions?

Post by Ztx » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:15 pm

02nz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:03 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:32 am
Check out the hyundai palisade. We have one and love it.
Fully loaded. Amazing safety. Do your research. 38k ish MSRP. 43k ish out of the door in California.

Its sister car is the kia Telluride. These both are game changing. Spend a bit of time doing some research. Car and driver etc. They make the 4 runner look like a relic (I loved the idea of a 4 runner a few years ago)
The Palisade and Telluride are a full category larger (about a foot longer!) than the vehicles OP is considering. Three-row full-size SUVs vs midsize (mostly two-row) SUVs.
Funny though, that if you google "hyundai palisade" it categorizes it as a "Compact SUV". Compact? hmmm :)

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:49 pm

Doral wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:59 am
I know it is not the big deal name of the status of foreign cars but-----we purchased a Lincoln Nautilus last year after interviewing lots of luxury cars. Money was not the consideration, but value was. It has a great ride and is so comfortable. It has all the goodies and the dealer falls all over himself to make sure we have no complaints. The seats are super. We haven't had as much a hiccup of a problem. The mileage has been good. If we had to buy another car right now - we would get the thing. Give it a look.
Took a look on the website. Too bad it's so hard to figure out what vehicles have and don't have on the websites. From what I can tell the Nautilus (aka MKX) has a push button shifter with the buttons on the dash next to the info screen and a pano sunroof. Both no-nos for this old school guy. Hard to build and price on the website to compare to the others.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm

WildBill wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:27 pm
Howdy

My wife got the Lexus RX 450H. She loves it.

She agrees the Lexus grille is ugly, but she makes the accurate point that I am even uglier, and neither one particularly bothers her much. In each case she did not judge the acquisition purely on aesthetics (lucky for me), and she keeps both of us around😀

And the reliability as demonstrated statistically is unsurpassed.At least in the case of the Lexus.

Happy motoring

W B
+1. Besides, we are in the vehicle. What is important to us is the comfort, ride, lack of road noise and reliability. Don’t really care how the exterior looks - we can’t see it when driving.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:03 pm

ClaycordJCA wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm

+1. Besides, we are in the vehicle. What is important to us is the comfort, ride, lack of road noise and reliability. Don’t really care how the exterior looks - we can’t see it when driving.
Typical self centered boomer attitude. Only thinking abut themselves and not concerned at all about the pain they are inflicting on others.:) Seriously the RX is a great car for eating up miles. It isn't very sporty, nor the most stylish or have the most modern tech, but for lugging a couple people around in comfort for the next 200k miles it is hard to beat. There is a reason why every other real estate agent drives one around. I am even guessing in another half dozen years the grill will not be so bad as we get used to it.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:17 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:03 pm
There is a reason why every other real estate agent drives one around.
Ewww.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:26 am

If OP can hold out until end of the year (or early 2021), the Genesis GV70 might fit the bill. Their newly announced GV80 looks fantastic, with all the crash prevention technology he desires (see... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQpodfl-m_Q), but too high a price point. It will be offered with optional 3rd row seating, but still quite large.

I'm hoping the smaller Genesis GV70 will be announced by year end, with pricing under $50k.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:34 am

Are there any luxury SUVs that do NOT come with a sunroof? That seems to be standard on luxury vehicles.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:00 am

topper1296 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:34 am
Are there any luxury SUVs that do NOT come with a sunroof? That seems to be standard on luxury vehicles.
It looks like it's optional with the Mercedes GLB and you can also opt to de-select it with the Audi Q5. I'd guess you won't find one like this on the dealer lot, but would have to order it.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:07 am

topper1296 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:34 am
no sunroof on my GLC300. I'm sure there are others

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:59 am

One less reason to consider the RDX:
Consumer Reports is updating its list of “Recommended” vehicles and sadly six vehicles no longer make the cut – the Tesla Model 3, Acura RDX, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, BMW 5 Series, and Volkswagen Tiguan.

Consumer Reports says that the six vehicles lost their “Recommended” rating due to declining reliability. “Consumers expect their cars to last—and not be in the repair shop. That’s why reliability is so important. The latest results from CR’s exclusive reliability survey give us more real-time information on 2018 vehicles—so we can make more robust predictions about 2019 models people will buy.”
That happened to you Honda?

https://www.thetorquereport.com/news/co ... nded-list/

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:05 pm

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... mendation/

Note the above URL is NEWER than the one you posted.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:06 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Nice to know, but this article is all about the Tesla, and I was referring to the Acura RDX. Not considering the Tesla.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:13 pm

CULater wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:06 pm
wrongfunds wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Nice to know, but this article is all about the Tesla, and I was referring to the Acura RDX. Not considering the Tesla.
But you're on Bogleheads, where every car thread turns into a Tesla discussion, and every question about Windows PCs turns into a discussion about how much better Mac is. :P

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:57 pm

jpohio wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:34 am
OP, I am in very similar situation.

Audi was eliminated because too much noise about poor reliability.

If up to me I would pick the XC60 over the Lexus solely on both of us much preferring the look of the Volvo over the Lexus.
I am also in similar situation to several of you, looking to replace wife's 10+ year old Lexus with a mid-large SUV (prefer luxury brand, couple years used, to avoid most of the depreciation hit).

I am curious in particular about this two statements. By most accounts, my heavy research on consumer reports, their website, several mag issues covering cars, and other online resources (cargurus, edmunds, kbb), I have found the opposite data to you.

The Audi Q5 / Q7 of the last 5-7 years are highly rated and *Recommended Buy from consumer reports and others. Their reliability seems to have turned around and gets mostly all plus marks.

The Volvo XC60/90 have reliability issues per most documentation I find.

Currently considering 2014 Q7 S-line, Honda Pilot Elite (just hate the rounded body style), Lexus GX 460 (poor mpg) ... Sequoia was on there but just too big. Would love a Kia Telluride but they are so in-demand that dealers are asking $5k over invoice and we don't drive enough to justify a new vehicle for $40-50k. Personally not a fan of the Mazda C line or Hyundai
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:08 pm

CULater wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 am
Starting to look at some possibilities in this class. Looking at pricing max around the mid 40s with all the safety goodies: auto braking, adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, blind spot warning, cross-traffic alert. Also desire android auto, can take or leave in-dash navi. Don't want a panoramic sunroof but a small sunroof might be OK; don't like reports of exploding sunroofs and I value headspace. Reliability important to me. Not interested in Lexus because I hate the grille. Here are the ones I'm thinking about:

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

What do you think about these?
Venturing into luxury cars is a one way street with no return. Your next car after this car will come soon and it will be as luxurious if not more.

You should also throw reliability criteria out of the windows. People in this segment do not hesitate to spend money. Car companies know all too well to juice as much as they can. Maintenance, tires, and parts ain't cheap. Funny how small things tend to happen frequently that you have to take your car to the shop more than twice a year. Like a clock work.

If reliability is important, stick to the old Camry/RAV4 with no bells and whistle (2014 model or older).

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm

H-Town wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:08 pm

Venturing into luxury cars is a one way street with no return. Your next car after this car will come soon and it will be as luxurious if not more.
Not necessarily true. I drove my RX350 for 10 years, and just purchased a new RAV4 hybrid.
H-Town wrote:
You should also throw reliability criteria out of the windows. People in this segment do not hesitate to spend money. Car companies know all too well to juice as much as they can. Maintenance, tires, and parts ain't cheap. Funny how small things tend to happen frequently that you have to take your car to the shop more than twice a year. Like a clock work.
Also not true. If I'm spending a lot of money, I don't want the car in the shop unexpectedly, or to be stranded after dark and vulnerable on the side of the road. I would imagine many women - especially women who live in urban centers - feel the same way I do.
H-Town wrote:
If reliability is important, stick to the old Camry/RAV4 with no bells and whistle (2014 model or older).
There you go! Some of us value reliability, *and* mileage. At 39 combined mpg, there is nothing else quite like the new hybrid RAV4. It has all the bells and whistles that the OP asked for - blind spot monitors, lane assist, adaptive cruise control, rear cross-traffic alerts...

But it is not a luxury SUV. It's a reliable, mid-sized SUV with a lot of bells and whistles.

Like any car, there will be tradeoffs. Which do you want more: lux interior or reliability or mileage or gadgets? Pick two. ;)

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:11 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm

Not necessarily true. I drove my RX350 for 10 years, and just purchased a new RAV4 hybrid.
I'm glad that you're happy with RAV4 hybrid. It's one of the best selling new cars now. I hear only good things about it.

I think you are one of a few that have no issues stepping back from a luxury car. Most ordinary people, once got hooked into luxury car segment, they cannot buy a non-luxury car.

Aside from Lexus, almost all of the luxury cars from friends & family that I've encountered in real life have issues. It's range from Cadillac CTS, Acura MDX, Mercedes E-Class, BMW 5 series, to Lincoln. They're not big issues by any means. But small issues are annoying and expensive to fix.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Regarding the money, I offer seminars in Stinginess. I hate to spend money. Problem is, if I don't turn my attitude around someone else will be spending my money after I've moved into a pine box. So, I'm more willing than I used to be to consider the idea that throwing a bunch of money away on a Lux vehicle that I think is solid, well-engineered, and reasonably trouble-free might not be as bad an idea as I've always thought it is. But I still have to overcome my endemic dislike of ostentation. I really am a Boglehead in that way. I don't want people thinking that I'm the sort of person who wants to drive around a Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc. because I love the nameplate. I just want a really good vehicle to drive for the rest of my journey that pampers me with quietness and good ride and not driving me nuts with problems the manufacturer and dealer won't or can't fix.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:46 am

gunn_show wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:57 pm
I am also in similar situation to several of you, looking to replace wife's 10+ year old Lexus with a mid-large SUV (prefer luxury brand, couple years used, to avoid most of the depreciation hit).

I am curious in particular about this two statements. By most accounts, my heavy research on consumer reports, their website, several mag issues covering cars, and other online resources (cargurus, edmunds, kbb), I have found the opposite data to you.

The Audi Q5 / Q7 of the last 5-7 years are highly rated and *Recommended Buy from consumer reports and others. Their reliability seems to have turned around and gets mostly all plus marks.
We were in this spot about a year and a half ago--12-year-old Lexus RX, wanting something more comfortable and with more space. We wound up with the Q7 (ours is a 2018 we bought new) and absolutely love it. Only issue in the first 20k was the coolant being inexplicably low one morning a few months ago. Dealer pressure tested the system overnight, refilled and returned to us.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:21 am

ClaycordJCA wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm
WildBill wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:27 pm
Howdy

My wife got the Lexus RX 450H. She loves it.

She agrees the Lexus grille is ugly, but she makes the accurate point that I am even uglier, and neither one particularly bothers her much. In each case she did not judge the acquisition purely on aesthetics (lucky for me), and she keeps both of us around😀

And the reliability as demonstrated statistically is unsurpassed.At least in the case of the Lexus.

Happy motoring

W B
to each their own..but I would never purchase a vehicle that I didn't like the look of.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 am

Buy a used Lexus GS 460 with about 30-40 K on it for 35-40 thousand...it is good for another 250K at least and it will do everything you want and be the most reliable car to own that you can imagine. Great driving car, quiet and solid in the winter...

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:27 am

CULater wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:56 pm
Regarding the money, I offer seminars in Stinginess. I hate to spend money. Problem is, if I don't turn my attitude around someone else will be spending my money after I've moved into a pine box. So, I'm more willing than I used to be to consider the idea that throwing a bunch of money away on a Lux vehicle that I think is solid, well-engineered, and reasonably trouble-free might not be as bad an idea as I've always thought it is. But I still have to overcome my endemic dislike of ostentation. I really am a Boglehead in that way. I don't want people thinking that I'm the sort of person who wants to drive around a Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc. because I love the nameplate. I just want a really good vehicle to drive for the rest of my journey that pampers me with quietness and good ride and not driving me nuts with problems the manufacturer and dealer won't or can't fix.
IF you are willing to get out of the mindset of that I want to run this vehicle for 15 years + 200K, then it will be easy to buy something which you know that you will get rid of it immediately without even thinking about the finances involved, then you can increase your list of vehicles to purchase.

I agree with you that it is not easy decision but you do have to understand that all the money that you have saved, it is for trading the future problems with the available money. For you, the future is NOW.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:30 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:46 am
gunn_show wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:57 pm

We were in this spot about a year and a half ago--12-year-old Lexus RX, wanting something more comfortable and with more space. We wound up with the Q7 (ours is a 2018 we bought new) and absolutely love it. Only issue in the first 20k was the coolant being inexplicably low one morning a few months ago. Dealer pressure tested the system overnight, refilled and returned to us.
Thanks lazydavid, I figure there have to be at least a handful of BH's that took the leap from Camry/Lexus to Audi :)
Glad to hear you have had little problems in almost two years. Our neighbors have an older model, like what we are looking at '14-15, and have had zero issues in several years, aside from the hassle of replacing the battery (apparently under driver seat).
And as mentioned the Q line is well established and gets top rated marks in CR and other pubs. I know there are more of you out there!
I just can't go buy another boring Lexus RX (everyone in our hood has one) or Pilot or Rav4. The Q7 looks killer, on top of the high reliability marks.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:09 pm

greenmonster wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 pm

2. Brake squeal: If you live somewhere where fall/winter means temps below 40F, there is a known annoying-but-not-harmful issue where the breaks squeak until they get warmed up.

Good luck!
This is known issue for Acura RDX. We experience similar issue with 2017 RDX. We had car sitting in driveway for a month during winter time and entire rear break system froze. When car was driven after a month, it was making noise. Dealership identified issue with rear break and pad getting jammed. Acura refused to cover it under the warranty and it cost around $600 to fix it. Not happy with that experience.
:annoyed

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:17 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:30 am
Thanks lazydavid, I figure there have to be at least a handful of BH's that took the leap from Camry/Lexus to Audi :)
Glad to hear you have had little problems in almost two years. Our neighbors have an older model, like what we are looking at '14-15, and have had zero issues in several years, aside from the hassle of replacing the battery (apparently under driver seat).
This was fixed in the second gen (4M, 2017+) Q7, the battery is now under the floor on the passenger side. Remove floormat, lift out floor panel, remove battery.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:19 am

After doing a bit of research on options, right now I've narrowed it down to three choices that might meet all my criteria and cost less than $50K. They are the Mercedes GLB, Audi Q5 Premium, and Mazda CX-5. I plan to interview these candidates over the coming weeks as a replacement for my gasoil lubricated CR-V.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:22 am

Keep us posted.

long_gamma

Post by long_gamma » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:51 pm

sleepysurf wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:26 am
If OP can hold out until end of the year (or early 2021), the Genesis GV70 might fit the bill. Their newly announced GV80 looks fantastic, with all the crash prevention technology he desires (see... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQpodfl-m_Q), but too high a price point. It will be offered with optional 3rd row seating, but still quite large.

I'm hoping the smaller Genesis GV70 will be announced by year end, with pricing under $50k.
Wow. Video certainly looks fantastic. I am in the market for the Lux SUV also. I had pretty much set on buying BMW X7, after test driving several vehicles. Now I have to wait for the new GV80 release. Website says it is 2021 model.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/2021/genesis-gv80.html
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." --Mike Tyson

DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:10 pm

While some folks on here have posted they hate the grill on the Lexus, I have to point out that my experience living in the Palm Springs area indicates that there are a lot of folks that own Lexus and therefore there are probably a lot of folks that don't mind the grill and have bought/leased the Lexus because it has low repair cost (can take it to a Toyota dealer) and has good performance with the V6 and good horsepower. The Toyota equivalent . . . the RAV4 (Adventure) can't compete because of it's V4 engine.

I test drove a few vehicles lately and I disagree with the person that suggested the Toyota 4Runner . . . it was a slug, had no pick up.

Even though the OP wanted high end vehicles, because this is a Boglehead site . . . and some more frugal with the $$$, I have to suggest that the Nissan Munaro - which somewhat competes with the Lexus 350 . . . has a panoramic sunroof AND has cameras that shows front, side and behind the vehicle - which is better than the Lexus as the Lexus only has back up assist and only a regular small sunroof.

I'm probably going to buy a preowned Lexus 350 in the future . . . because a 2 or 3 year old one is just as good as new and has gone through at least 2 years of depreciation cycles. The key is to always have the vehicle checked out by a qualified mechanic.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:26 am

DiscoBunny1979 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:10 pm
Even though the OP wanted high end vehicles, because this is a Boglehead site . . . and some more frugal with the $$$, I have to suggest that the Nissan Munaro - which somewhat competes with the Lexus 350 . . . has a panoramic sunroof AND has cameras that shows front, side and behind the vehicle - which is better than the Lexus as the Lexus only has back up assist and only a regular small sunroof.
OP explicitly does NOT want a pano sunroof. While at least one of the stated reasons for this--headroom--is nonsensical (particularly since he/she would accept a standard moonroof that DOES impinge upon headroom), that his his/her prerogative. Nissan also only offers CVTs, and hasn't done well in the reliability space the past decade or so.

msi

Post by msi » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:52 am

CULater wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 pm
randomguy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm
CULater wrote:
Starting to look at some possibilities in this class. Looking at pricing max around the mid 40s with all the safety goodies: auto braking, adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, blind spot warning, cross-traffic alert. Also desire android auto, can take or leave in-dash navi. Don't want a panoramic sunroof but a small sunroof might be OK; don't like reports of exploding sunroofs and I value headspace. Reliability important to me. Not interested in Lexus because I hate the grille. Here are the ones I'm thinking about:

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

Why are you buying a luxury SUV? Are you looking for
a) Performance (acelleration, handling)
b) low levels of NVH
c) quality materials
d) like the looks
e) brand snobbery
Figuring that out will help guide you choice.

None of these brands is really know for reliability (10+ years, 150k+ miles). At with a mid 40k limit, I am not sure you can buy many of these cars with . adaptive cruise control. A lot of these models are 50k you add all the packages required get adaptive cruise control. The cheapest car is the 44k RDX (need tech package for blind spot monitoring).
Process of elimination. I'm interested an a small/ two row SUV, which eliminates choices such as the Toyota Highlander which seems like a fine choice if you are OK with a larger vehicle. Do I want a Ford, Chevy, Buick, Jeep or other American brand? No. So we're looking at stuff from Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, but nothing here rings my bell. I have a 2107 CRV and would like something in that class. I'd never touch a Honda product again for obvious reasons. The RAV4 doesn't seem like the answer. I think Kia or Hunudai vehicles might be fine but these don't seem that much different from the CRV. So we're left with the luxury brands: Acura, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti., Volvo. I think it's nuts to spend the extra $$ on these names, but I can do it if I want. I'm less likely to want an Acura because I pretty much hate Honda, but I'd consider it. When I test drove a Volvo a couple years ago the ride was like a board. I hate the Lexus grille and couldn't live with it. So we're down to Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, and maybe the RDX if I can hold my nose. Maybe theres' something else haven't taught of. The top trim in the Mazda CX-5 is a contender. It seems to have all the goodies I seek. If it were a tad larger... But, can I do better with a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Infiniti?
Just curious what's wrong with the new RAV4? It'll likely be the most reliable of anything you're looking at.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:32 pm

DiscoBunny1979 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:10 pm
While some folks on here have posted they hate the grill on the Lexus, I have to point out that my experience living in the Palm Springs area indicates that there are a lot of folks that own Lexus and therefore there are probably a lot of folks that don't mind the grill and have bought/leased the Lexus because it has low repair cost (can take it to a Toyota dealer) and has good performance with the V6 and good horsepower. The Toyota equivalent . . . the RAV4 (Adventure) can't compete because of it's V4 engine.

I test drove a few vehicles lately and I disagree with the person that suggested the Toyota 4Runner . . . it was a slug, had no pick up
I'm probably going to buy a preowned Lexus 350 in the future . . . because a 2 or 3 year old one is just as good as new and has gone through at least 2 years of depreciation cycles. The key is to always have the vehicle checked out by a qualified mechanic.
Lot of points I agree with here. I commented upstream that my DW and I were in the market for this same type of luxury SUV, and were leaning towards a used Audi Q7. I was trying to avoid the RX 350 for all the reasons highlighted in this thread (and because my parents have 2 and they are ultra common).

Till we bought one yesterday. As Disco points out, we bought 3+ years used (a '16), 49k miles, half the depreciation gone, and the interior looks like a brand new car (I am impressed whoever owned it prior, was meticulous, and the Lexus.com service records history show it). We were able to get an F Sport AWD at a steal of a price. The grill doesn't look as bad on the sportier F Sport, and it drives pretty nicely, especially in sport mode. The interior is so plush, heated steering wheel, awesome blacked out 20" rims, 15 speaker Levinson, etc. I am happy and DW is stoked. And we will be in PS this weekend :)

Agree with Disco that the 4RUN is a dog. I was excited to rent a 4R offroad recently on a work trip, as it was a top 3 choice for a DW vehicle, and it was slow, horribly configured, and overall a disappointment.

Really wanted to venture into the luxury Audi world, but sucked back into the Lexus world.. hopefully with 10 years of reliability to follow

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:07 pm

msi wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:52 am
CULater wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 pm
randomguy wrote:
CULater wrote:

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

b) low levels of NVH
c) quality materials
d) like the looks
e) brand snobbery

None of these brands is really know for reliability (10+ years, 150k+ miles). At with a mid 40k limit, I am not sure you can buy many of these cars with . adaptive cruise control. A lot of these models are 50k you add all the packages required get adaptive cruise control. The cheapest car is the 44k RDX (need tech package for blind spot monitoring).
Process of elimination. I'm interested an a small/ two row SUV, which eliminates choices such as the Toyota Highlander which seems like a fine choice if you are OK with a larger vehicle. Do I want a Ford, Chevy, Buick, Jeep or other American brand? No. So we're looking at stuff from Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, but nothing here rings my bell. I have a 2107 CRV and would like something in that class. I'd never touch a Honda product again for obvious reasons. The RAV4 doesn't seem like the answer. I think Kia or Hunudai vehicles might be fine but these don't seem that much different from the CRV. So we're left with the luxury brands: Acura, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti., Volvo. I think it's nuts to spend the extra $$ on these names, but I can do it if I want. I'm less likely to want an Acura because I pretty much hate Honda, but I'd consider it. When I test drove a Volvo a couple years ago the ride was like a board. I hate the Lexus grille and couldn't live with it. So we're down to Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, and maybe the RDX if I can hold my nose. Maybe theres' something else haven't taught of. The top trim in the Mazda CX-5 is a contender. It seems to have all the goodies I seek. If it were a tad larger... But, can I do better with a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Infiniti?
Just curious what's wrong with the new RAV4? It'll likely be the most reliable of anything you're looking at.
I agree. Engine is a non-turbo with dual port/direct injection. It's the turbo direct injection engines that are going to be crapping out on owners much sooner and Toyota has been conservative about going there. But I probably don't need to put reliability at the top of my list - though it would be pretty high. My aging bod is probably going to be less reliable than the vehicle I buy. :annoyed

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:06 pm

I think you need to revisit the trade off between turbo engines and regular aspirated engines. This is really important if are going to drive this car over mountains. The issue is the standard engine will not breath well at 6K feet or higher. No 8-10 speed transmission will fix the lose of power. So acceleration will drop a lot at altitude. But the turbo engines are much better and automatically pump more air and adjust for altitude. So they accelerate well all the way up to 12K altitude. My Subaru Outback has a 3.6 regular engine and goes OK at altitude. But my Lincoln MKX has the turbo 2.7 engine. It sails up the mountains. Both get 27 mpg on the highway.

I also agree that the RX 350 from Lexus has funny looks with the anteater front end. But I also hated the poor center console and obsolete mouse and pointer for the navigation system and center screen. The ergonomics of that are terrible and were a total deal breaker for me.

I also wanted to talk about your dislike of big sun roofs and push button shifters. All these kinds of features are just included in most luxury cars. You have to accept them if you want the quiet car and nice ride. Yes these things cost extra but are part of the luxury deal. I have both in my Lincoln MKX and they are great. I really think you should go look at a recent model. I got mine as a off lease for $30K. It only had 19K miles and was way discounted off the new price. The sun roof does not leak or have any open or close issues. It is very convenient and like a convertible if you want it. My wife loves it. :happy :happy I also now love the push button start and gear shifter. It is really easy to use and it leaves the whole center console free for other stuff.

And cars without this stuff are usually far from a being a luxury car. They are sporty and nice but really just a nice economy car. I talk about this as I own a loaded Subaru Outback. It is a 2013. It is really nice car but my wife hates it for road trips. It is not near as quiet as my Lincoln nor does it ride as well or have a lot of the luxury features like a nice stereo, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled front seats, big power multi way seats for both driver and passenger, etc. etc..

Just telling you my experience. Good Luck on your hunt...

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Mon May 18, 2020 9:50 pm

Bumping this thread. Toyota is reintroducing the Venza as 2021 hybrid crossover SUV, positioned between the RAV4 and Lexus RX... https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-bre ... crossover/

Not sure if OP ever bought a new SUV, but this new model (especially with the top trim level) is now high on my list to check out. Best of all, the front and rear ends are not at all garish like their recent Toyota/Lexus brethren.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 19, 2020 6:42 am

sleepysurf wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:50 pm
Bumping this thread. Toyota is reintroducing the Venza as 2021 hybrid crossover SUV, positioned between the RAV4 and Lexus RX... https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-bre ... crossover/

Not sure if OP ever bought a new SUV, but this new model (especially with the top trim level) is now high on my list to check out. Best of all, the front and rear ends are not at all garish like their recent Toyota/Lexus brethren.
The new Venza is based on the Toyota Harrier, which is what the Lexus RX used to be based on (through the third generation, I believe) before it and the Highlander split out onto their own sub-platform. Over the years, the RX has gotten larger and larger along with the Highlander, while the Harrier has grown only slightly.

Other than the huge front overhang and uneven wheel gaps, I agree the Harrier/Venza looks really good, and it might be a perfect choice for my parents. Do note that it's hybrid only, so fuel economy will be great, but power will not and it will have that CVT drone common to all Toyota hybrids.

This has definitely been the gap in Toyota's CUV lineup--a large 2-row that isn't pretending to be a 3-row--and will sell extremely well.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue May 19, 2020 8:27 am

Couple more to consider that will be coming out late this year or early 2021. Both the Kia Sorento and Jeep Grand Cherokee are coming out as completely new models and they both look great. I'll be waiting to look at these (Oh, I'm waiting anyway...)

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue May 19, 2020 8:44 am

CULater wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:27 am
Couple more to consider that will be coming out late this year or early 2021. Both the Kia Sorento and Jeep Grand Cherokee are coming out as completely new models and they both look great. I'll be waiting to look at these (Oh, I'm waiting anyway...)
I hear Honda is releasing a new generation of CRV for 2021. Do you know if that will have the same engine (and engine problems) as the current generation?

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue May 19, 2020 9:13 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:44 am
CULater wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:27 am
I hear Honda is releasing a new generation of CRV for 2021. Do you know if that will have the same engine (and engine problems) as the current generation?
Interesting. But based on my experience I wouldn't touch any new engine they have for at least a couple of years. That's how long it took for the oil dilution issue to become known. It wasn't enough just to skip the first year of production.

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 am

Certified pre-owned Macan S/GTS/Turbo, or buy from Carmax and get a 5-year 100k warranty for ~$3k. Best luxury SUV on the market in that price range. Cayenne if you need the extra space, but the PDK transmission in the Macan is worlds better.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:55 am

CULater wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:19 am
I plan to interview these candidates over the coming weeks as a replacement for my gasoil lubricated CR-V.
We should work together. If you could run premium, when you drain the gas/oil, I could run it in my chainsaw.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue May 19, 2020 11:35 am

Audi Q5 Quattro.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm

CULater wrote:
2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

Ok, here's the skinny on Infiniti and invariably somebody is going to get hurt by this, but it's the general truth and not fanboyism....

1. Generally nobody is buying an Infiniti because they actually want an Infiniti
2. People are buying Infiniti because it's the cheapest out there... and they have to mark them down to get people in the door
3. The people managing the Infiniti brand.... are frankly terrible...
4. In the early-2000s, people wanted Infiniti, it was a brand that had potential to surpass Lexus...
5. Infiniti recently pulled out of the European market.
6. There's a chance Infiniti could pull out of America

As a car person on here that should have his new SUV within a few weeks.... I don't even know what Infiniti has to offer, because I don't think Nissan is committed to the brand at all...

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm
Ok, here's the skinny on Infiniti and invariably somebody is going to get hurt by this, but it's the general truth and not fanboyism....
1. Generally nobody is buying an Infiniti because they actually want an Infiniti
2. People are buying Infiniti because it's the cheapest out there... and they have to mark them down to get people in the door
4. In the early-2000s, people wanted Infiniti, it was a brand that had potential to surpass Lexus...
As a car person on here that should have his new SUV within a few weeks.... I don't even know what Infiniti has to offer, because I don't think Nissan is committed to the brand at all...
Interesting that you swiped someone else's analysis/position, nearly verbatim, and passed it off as your own.

At least cite your source next time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs1W-qvyyk

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:26 pm

researcher wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 pm
Helo80 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm
Interesting that you swiped someone else's analysis/position, nearly verbatim, and passed it off as your own.

At least cite your source next time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs1W-qvyyk

Hey, another fan! Yeah, I pulled a few points... but honestly... the overriding one that Infiniti is an after-thought... that's everybody's opinion.

Honestly, the only point that I pulled from Doug is that Infiniti could surpass Lexus... I noticed the pricing discrepency when a buddy of mine (known for being cheap) bought an Infiniti in 2017 for his newlywed wife. Also, the people driving Infiniti in my city.... not exactly the classiest people. (e.g. people that want you to think that they're ballers with money/bling)

What's your opinion on Infiniti?

BTW -- since we're having to attribute our opinions to others (the PF advice threads are going to be so screwed citing 3-fund portfolios)..... the other lines I have swiped from Doug are:
1. (Paraphrasing) - "Good luck with Toyota Corolla when you're T-boned by a Chevy Suburban"
2. (Paraphrasing) - "Car buying is now a Mercedes S-class (or BMW 7 series) that loses $20 or $30 grand to depreciation in half an hour"

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 19, 2020 1:06 pm

CULater wrote:

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

I would include the Mazda CX5 or CX-9. Add the Volvo xc60 into to the mix too.

We had a 2010 CX-9 and loved it. We have a Audi Q7 now and when its time we are going back to Mazda.

You can have a top of the line CX-5 for mid 30's and a cx-9 mid 40's

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 19, 2020 1:10 pm

randomguy wrote:
CULater wrote:

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

b) low levels of NVH
c) quality materials
d) like the looks
e) brand snobbery

I hate Acura for not getting with the game on blind spot monitoring. several k more just to make that happen.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 19, 2020 1:13 pm

sleepysurf wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:26 am

Might as well add a year to that. Shouldn't buy current model year of a new or redesigned car unless you want issues.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue May 19, 2020 1:57 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:06 pm

I would include the Mazda CX5 or CX-9. Add the Volvo xc60 into to the mix too.

We had a 2010 CX-9 and loved it. We have a Audi Q7 now and when its time we are going back to Mazda.

You can have a top of the line CX-5 for mid 30's and a cx-9 mid 40's
Thanks for posting this re: the Mazda CX-5. I test drove a couple of these pre-COVID19 and am still interested in it. I had a horrible experience with an Audi A4 T a long time ago and had to replace 2 engines in it so switched brands to something more reliable. I still like the design of their cars though.

Based on the research I've done on the CX-5, it seems quite reliable and comes in AWD.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Tue May 19, 2020 2:02 pm

One thing about the car market that people fail to realize is that not all models of a particular brand are equal. I've owned 20 some cars and for the most part they have been very reliable. My least reliable was a brand new Mazda. Does that mean all Mazda's are junk, no. I currently drive a BMW and the model I have is known to be very reliable but that doesn't mean that all BMW's are reliable. It even changes from year to year. I've owned nearly every Honda made and there is a lot of differences between the reliability of a 2010 and a 2020 CRV (2010 probably better).

As far as Infiniti, all models are not created equal. I bought a M56x CPO with 25k miles. I paid under $40k for a car that stickered for over $80k. I compared it to other luxury sedans(5 series, E class, Lexus GS,etc) in that price range and it blew them all away in being a luxury car. On the other hand, I owned a G35 and it was a good car but I didn't think it was anything special in it's class. Everyone talks about reliability and that is important but that's just one of many things I consider.

Figure out what style you want . Figure out what you want to spend. Figure out how long you'll keep it. Figure out in that price range if you would be comfortable with a used vehicle. Research the models. Go and drive the models. Check out the forums for that model and see the most viewed subjects. Be willing to drive to buy the vehicle. This has always worked well with the exception of the one time that I thought I wanted a full size truck. I drove the truck, I liked the truck, and then about 3 months later I was like "I hate trucks".