Some possible luxury SUV choices to buy: Opinions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

Some possible luxury SUV choices to buy: Opinions?

Post by CULater »

Starting to look at some possibilities in this class. Looking at pricing max around the mid 40s with all the safety goodies: auto braking, adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, blind spot warning, cross-traffic alert. Also desire android auto, can take or leave in-dash navi. Don't want a panoramic sunroof but a small sunroof might be OK; don't like reports of exploding sunroofs and I value headspace. Reliability important to me. Not interested in Lexus because I hate the grille. Here are the ones I'm thinking about:

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

What do you think about these?
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
investor4life

Re: Some possible luxury SUV choices to buy: Opinions?

Post by investor4life »

While it is not on your list, the CX5 meets your specs at about mid-30K. (On the slightly smaller side but ok if carrying just two people, as in my case.)

So, did you get rid of the CRV?
dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine »

Not answering your question directly but I would also include the Lincoln Nautilus and Volvo XC60 on your list.

I agree with the Lexus spindle grille. They look terrible on their SUV's.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

I drive a 10+ y/o Lexus RX, but no rear camera or blind spot detection, so likewise looking to replace this year. I, too, abhor the current Lexus "fishmouth" grills, and am also considering the Acura RDX.

However, the new Hyundai/Genesis SUV's look fantastic. The newly announced GV80 (3 row design) is larger than I want, but the forthcoming smaller GV70 looks enticing... https://www.caranddriver.com/genesis/gv70

Both new SUV's are derived from the same chassis/drivetrain of their corresponding sedans, so might not be as potentially troublesome as other first year models.
Last edited by sleepysurf on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

The Acura will likely have lower maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle compared to the other options you have listed.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I would definitely go Q5, but then again I bought a Q7 18 months ago. :) The RDX would be my second choice. TBH, the QX50 isn't in the same class as your other three options, though it does have the nifty worlds-first variable compression engine.

With regards to sunroofs and space, a panoramic sunroof actually gives you significantly more headroom than not having a sunroof at all--the Q5 with pano, for example, has more than enough headroom for 6.5 footers. And if you keep the translucent screen closed, no risk of falling glass in the extremely unlikely event that it shatters.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

investor4life wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:26 am While it is not on your list, the CX5 meets your specs at about mid-30K. (On the slightly smaller side but ok if carrying just two people, as in my case.)

So, did you get rid of the CRV?
Great thought - we bought two CX5''s about 6 months back and both are excellent , right about $32K with all the goodies listed.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

dunkmachine wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:27 am Not answering your question directly but I would also include the Lincoln Nautilus and Volvo XC60 on your list.

I agree with the Lexus spindle grille. They look terrible on their SUV's.
+1. Poor Lexus.

Volvo will be the most comfortable if you can get past the lack of buttons (easy one for me). I can’t stand the RDX infotainment/center console. I’m not a big fan of upbadged Nissans, and with all their exCEO and merger issues I’d stay away from that brand. Plus the rear visibility is poor out that small back window. MB is pretty nice, but you’ll pay more for the same features that the XC60 has.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I think you should try another CRV. :P
Attorngineer

Post by Attorngineer »

Now that the CX-5 has the available turbocharged engine, it's really tough to beat in this category unless you just have to have a luxury-brand for whatever reason.

Based on my recommendation, my mother bought a CX-5 maybe 5-6 years ago (old 2.5 N/A engine), which everyone loved ... so then my sister got one ... and then my mother-in-law got one. None of these vehicles have undergone a repair, just scheduled maintenance. I feel like a hero, and I feel like Mazda owes me some kind of commission.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

A top-trim Subaru Outback will be just as luxurious. So if you want to make a statement, I think you would need to step up beyond the luxury SUVs in your original list which are just a bunch ol' beater SUVs in my neighborhood.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

How long as in years and mile do intend to keep this car? To me that would change my answer. I would not own any German car past the factory warranty. Acura makes a nice car but after my Honda experience I would never buy anything from them again...so..enjoy the Infinty! And why not a Toyota Highlander? Maybe not as upscale but they will run well for a long long time...
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

As a recent buyer of a 2016 Mazda CX-5, I'll agree with the above posters and recommend that you consider that. I'm really not sure how much more "luxurious" the luxury brands will be compared to a top trim CX-5, but maybe a little.

I'd avoid the German makes due to concern for reliability. I'd include lexus if you really value reliability as I believe consumer reports has them as the most reliable brand (you'll just have to decide how much you value reliability over their aesthetics which don't appeal to you).
ohai

Post by ohai »

Size is a major differentiating factor in those cars you mentioned. You should go sit in them and see which one fits your needs best.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Living Free wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am As a recent buyer of a 2016 Mazda CX-5, I'll agree with the above posters and recommend that you consider that. I'm really not sure how much more "luxurious" the luxury brands will be compared to a top trim CX-5, but maybe a little.

I'd avoid the German makes due to concern for reliability. I'd include lexus if you really value reliability as I believe consumer reports has them as the most reliable brand (you'll just have to decide how much you value reliability over their aesthetics which don't appeal to you).
I have to agree about the aesthetics of a car...I drive a LandCruiser which about as plain and boring looking as things get..but after 350,000 miles or so with it, you begin to get used to it. :happy
Just never look at the Lexus from the front and you will be fine.
Plano

Post by Plano »

We have always had good experiences with Infiniti SUVs. We had a 2001 QX4 that looked good and ran well for >200k miles. Regular maintenance is the key, which was reasonably priced via the local dealer.*

We replaced it in 2017 with a slightly used QX80, which is bigger than what you seem to want, but we needed the cargo space. Saved about $15k by not buying brand new. It’s an excellent vehicle. Zero complaints. The new safety features took some getting used to, but automatic braking saved my bacon at least once. My reflexes aren’t what they used to be.

*Call the closest dealer and ask what regular maintenance costs, especially the recommended major service(s). I think anyone buying a vehicle they intend to keep long-term ought to do this. Compare the costs at your *local* dealers for each car under consideration (which may differ from the national average you find online). I did this for each brand and factored that cost into our decision. It’s the main reason I don’t buy European cars.
msi

Post by msi »

The 2020 RDX gets a 1/5 for reliability from Consumer Reports (largely due to in-car electronics). The previous generation though, if you're open to CPO/used, is quite reliable.
sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 »

Test drive a 4Runner Limited AWD
ohai

Post by ohai »

OldBallCoach wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:08 am
Living Free wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am As a recent buyer of a 2016 Mazda CX-5, I'll agree with the above posters and recommend that you consider that. I'm really not sure how much more "luxurious" the luxury brands will be compared to a top trim CX-5, but maybe a little.

I have to agree about the aesthetics of a car...I drive a LandCruiser which about as plain and boring looking as things get..but after 350,000 miles or so with it, you begin to get used to it. :happy
Just never look at the Lexus from the front and you will be fine.
Well, you are inside the car, so arguably, the exterior matters little to your experience..
02nz

Post by 02nz »

sawdust60 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:53 am Test drive a 4Runner Limited AWD
The 4Runner, Land Cruiser, and their Lexus equivalents are all body-on-frame, truck-based SUVs. Great for off-roading, but on-road ride and handling are very poor compared to the car-based SUVs (really crossovers) OP has listed, and fuel economy is also quite a bit lower.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

I don't like the latest trend of placing a large "Etch A Sketch" on the dashboard. Different strokes for different folks.
stilltrying

Post by stilltrying »

FWIW, you can get an Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech package for <$43k out the door. I just bought the MDX SH-AWD Tech Sport Hybrid for <$47k OTD.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

2pedals wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:17 pm I don't like the latest trend of placing a large "Etch A Sketch" on the dashboard. Different strokes for different folks.
The new RAV4 is a perfect example of this. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I bought a slightly used 2016 Lincoln MKX last January.. It is very nice luxury SUV and it has all the latest tech gear. It is very comfortable and quiet. It gets bout 23 MPG in town and 27 MPG on the highway. I paid $30K. It had 20K miles. I suggest you look at this model or the newer version.

Good Luck
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

No Tesla X?

:(
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

fareastwarriors wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:49 pm No Tesla X?

The OP is looking at NEW luxury SUVs in the $35-50k range. Remind us again what the price range of the Tesla Model X is?

....oh that's right, it's $85k-$127k.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:00 pm

The OP is looking at NEW luxury SUVs in the $35-50k range. Remind us again what the price range of the Tesla Model X is?

I misread, sorry! I thought they were mid 40s in age.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

CULater wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 am Starting to look at some possibilities in this class. Looking at pricing max around the mid 40s with all the safety goodies: auto braking, adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, blind spot warning, cross-traffic alert. Also desire android auto, can take or leave in-dash navi. Don't want a panoramic sunroof but a small sunroof might be OK; don't like reports of exploding sunroofs and I value headspace. Reliability important to me. Not interested in Lexus because I hate the grille. Here are the ones I'm thinking about:

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

Why are you buying a luxury SUV? Are you looking for
a) Performance (acelleration, handling)
b) low levels of NVH
c) quality materials
d) like the looks
e) brand snobbery
Figuring that out will help guide you choice.

None of these brands is really know for reliability (10+ years, 150k+ miles). At with a mid 40k limit, I am not sure you can buy many of these cars with . adaptive cruise control. A lot of these models are 50k you add all the packages required get adaptive cruise control. The cheapest car is the 44k RDX (need tech package for blind spot monitoring).
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Just buy: used https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/ . And we all know that electric cars have no parts to break so the operating costs over the next 20 years will be low..:) More seriously if anyone mentions reliability, can you really recommend Tesla, Volvo, and Mercedes? If those cars are reliable enough, what isn't? Land Rover?
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

We had a couple of Honda Pilots from 2008 - 2015. Then we "upgraded" to a 2016 RDX. Traded it in for a 2018 Pilot. While the RDX was nice and we didn't have any problems, it just didn't seem as comfortable as the larger Pilot. At the time, we also test drove the Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti and a couple of others. Had a hard time wrapping my head around spending an extra $25K for one of the luxury brands.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Very happy with our Volvo XC90. Would have no problem with the XC60 if we wanted something slightly smaller.
NewishBog

Post by NewishBog »

Infiniti QX50 is very pretty and has a nice interior but its drivetrain got pretty bad reviews. And the revolutionary engine (for alleged fuel economy improvements) doesn't have a very good fuel economy improvement. CVTs aren't very nice in general. Infiniti hasn't made proper investments in their vehicles. I've been in a RDX - it's nice; don't know about its reliability. German car repair costs - ugh.
sambb

Post by sambb »

i like the spindle grill of lexus, and sales of lexus increased a lot after it was introduced. I would go RX.
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

Just recently bought an almost fully loaded 2020 Infiniti qx60 with Essential + Pro-Assist giving all the safety features/adaptive cruise for $44k plus taxes, from a sticker price of 54k. Think it's pretty common to get 18-20% off sticker price for that brand generally, vs brands like Audi/Volvo/Mercedes not so much. A similarly equipped qx50 would probably be had for a couple thousand less.
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

+1. I love the new grill on the Lexus RX 350. Great ride!
amindu

Post by amindu »

If reliability is important to you, then none of the cars on your list are going to be as reliable as a Lexus.
greenmonster

Post by greenmonster »

I have a 2019 RDX, very similar to the 2020. Love the way the car drives, looks, and that it takes regular octane gas without issue :dollar . It does have a panoramic moonroof so that may be a deal-breaker. Two things to be aware of if it's still a contender:

1. Buggy infotainment system: While this has gotten substantially better over the past year after some patches, Android Auto was only just released in the latest fix pack.

2. Brake squeal: If you live somewhere where fall/winter means temps below 40F, there is a known annoying-but-not-harmful issue where the breaks squeak until they get warmed up.

Good luck!
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

My wife got the Lexus RX 450H. She loves it.

She agrees the Lexus grille is ugly, but she makes the accurate point that I am even uglier, and neither one particularly bothers her much. In each case she did not judge the acquisition purely on aesthetics (lucky for me), and she keeps both of us around😀

And the reliability as demonstrated statistically is unsurpassed.At least in the case of the Lexus.

Happy motoring

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

randomguy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm
CULater wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 am Starting to look at some possibilities in this class. Looking at pricing max around the mid 40s with all the safety goodies: auto braking, adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, blind spot warning, cross-traffic alert. Also desire android auto, can take or leave in-dash navi. Don't want a panoramic sunroof but a small sunroof might be OK; don't like reports of exploding sunroofs and I value headspace. Reliability important to me. Not interested in Lexus because I hate the grille. Here are the ones I'm thinking about:

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

b) low levels of NVH
c) quality materials
d) like the looks
e) brand snobbery

None of these brands is really know for reliability (10+ years, 150k+ miles). At with a mid 40k limit, I am not sure you can buy many of these cars with . adaptive cruise control. A lot of these models are 50k you add all the packages required get adaptive cruise control. The cheapest car is the 44k RDX (need tech package for blind spot monitoring).
Process of elimination. I'm interested an a small/ two row SUV, which eliminates choices such as the Toyota Highlander which seems like a fine choice if you are OK with a larger vehicle. Do I want a Ford, Chevy, Buick, Jeep or other American brand? No. So we're looking at stuff from Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, but nothing here rings my bell. I have a 2107 CRV and would like something in that class. I'd never touch a Honda product again for obvious reasons. The RAV4 doesn't seem like the answer. I think Kia or Hunudai vehicles might be fine but these don't seem that much different from the CRV. So we're left with the luxury brands: Acura, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti., Volvo. I think it's nuts to spend the extra $$ on these names, but I can do it if I want. I'm less likely to want an Acura because I pretty much hate Honda, but I'd consider it. When I test drove a Volvo a couple years ago the ride was like a board. I hate the Lexus grille and couldn't live with it. So we're down to Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, and maybe the RDX if I can hold my nose. Maybe theres' something else haven't taught of. The top trim in the Mazda CX-5 is a contender. It seems to have all the goodies I seek. If it were a tad larger... But, can I do better with a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Infiniti?
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 pm
randomguy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

b) low levels of NVH
c) quality materials
d) like the looks
e) brand snobbery

Process of elimination. I'm interested an a small/ two row SUV, which eliminates choices such as the Toyota Highlander which seems like a fine choice if you are OK with a larger vehicle. Do I want a Ford, Chevy, Buick, Jeep or other American brand? No. So we're looking at stuff from Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, but nothing here rings my bell. I have a 2107 CRV and would like something in that class. I'd never touch a Honda product again for obvious reasons. The RAV4 doesn't seem like the answer. I think Kia or Hunudai vehicles might be fine but these don't seem that much different from the CRV. So we're left with the luxury brands: Acura, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti., Volvo. I think it's nuts to spend the extra $$ on these names, but I can do it if I want. I'm less likely to want an Acura because I pretty much hate Honda, but I'd consider it. When I test drove a Volvo a couple years ago the ride was like a board. I hate the Lexus grille and couldn't live with it. So we're down to Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, and maybe the RDX if I can hold my nose. Maybe theres' something else haven't taught of. The top trim in the Mazda CX-5 is a contender. It seems to have all the goodies I seek. If it were a tad larger... But, can I do better with a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Infiniti?
"The top trim in the Mazda CX-5 is a contender."
You do not need the top trim - the Grand touring with the premium package will deliver your list.

"But, can I do better with a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Infiniti?"
If I were very sensitive to quirks, fluid changes , and an unusual noise or two I would not typically select from this group.
Perhaps lease or loan whatever you are interested in with the exact same configuration for at least a while so you know what to expect.
Measure twice and cut once....
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

smitcat wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 am "The top trim in the Mazda CX-5 is a contender."
You do not need the top trim - the Grand touring with the premium package will deliver your list.
It does cover the explicit list. But if OP is cross-shopping against luxury brands, there's a good chance that (s)he may actually want the turbo motor and far nicer interior of the Signature trim. I know I would.
jr6857

Post by jr6857 »

I went through the same evaluation and settled on the 2020 RDX Advanced (highest trim package) about a month ago. IMHO, best value in the class. Infotainment issues were resolved with latest updates. Seats are the most comfortable and I like the styling and handling. So far not a single problem and it is a fun car to drive.
barneycat

Post by barneycat »

I second the post above of asking yourself why you need a luxury brand, what your priorities are, and how long you plan to keep the car.

We purchased a Limited Highlander in 2012 and plan to keep it forever. IMO going that route (Highlander, Pilot) is the best balance between luxury and practicality. I've never understood the appeal of the smaller Acura, Lexus, and Audi SUVS - they strike me as CRVs, Pilots, Highlanders, Tiguans, etc. with a different badge on front, more chrome, and more expense.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Audi Q5 is a great ride and comfortable. BMW X5 is another option.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:46 am
smitcat wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 am "The top trim in the Mazda CX-5 is a contender."
It does cover the explicit list. But if OP is cross-shopping against luxury brands, there's a good chance that (s)he may actually want the turbo motor and far nicer interior of the Signature trim. I know I would.
On the CX5 there was not a lot of difference other then the turbo - we test drove each and the turbo is definably not needed for us.
The GT premium package brought along many other of the options.
njuser

Post by njuser »

CULater wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 amLooking at pricing max around the mid 40s with all the safety goodies: auto braking, adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, blind spot warning, cross-traffic alert. Also desire android auto, can take or leave in-dash navi.... I value headspace. Reliability important to me. Not interested in Lexus because I hate the grille.
Highlander.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

HomeStretch wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:09 am Audi Q5 is a great ride and comfortable. BMW X5 is another option.
Maybe someone can check me on this. On the Audi website it appears that the only way to get adaptive cruise control on the Q5 is to go all the way to the Prestige top level trim, which starts out at $51,500. It looks like I could get everything else I want with the Premium trim with some options which prices out at about $45K. Pay over $6K to get my adaptive cruise? -- no thanks.
RJC

Post by RJC »

What about the BMW X3? We've had BMWs the last few times and were happy with the performance and reliability.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

Those are all lifted cars (CUV) with a few extra inches of ground clearance with compromised handling, I wouldn't call them SUVs. Also the features you listed are not exclusive to Luxury cars, they are available in most mainstream vehicles. I'd also ask why you want to spend 40k on any of those options, what is the differentiation factor you believe you are getting with these choices?

Do you want superior chassis components, superior chassis construction/crash safety, better ride quality, superior handling, smooth/refined engine performance, superior sound insulation, better interior cabin materials, exterior styling? If none of this matters to you, why bother with a Luxary brand?

Not trying to be negative, just want to be sure you have explored all your options. Also be aware of depreciation curve with some of the BMW/Audi/Mercs, the last 3 vehicles I've purchased: 2 BMWS, 1 Audi, and all 3 were bought CPO/used. In each case, at 3-4 years old they were 60% below MSRP
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

2020 Accura RDX
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Mercedes GLB
2020 Infiniti QX-50

All fine cars as are many of the ones suggested. If you don't have a clear preference I recommend you make the decision based on the dealer's reputation for service. That can make all the difference when purchasing a luxury auto brand.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]