Pickleball Shoes / tennis shoes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LoveTheBogle

Pickleball Shoes / tennis shoes

Post by LoveTheBogle »

I’ve been getting pretty serious playing pickleball and am in the market for new shoes.

I have been playing with my casual “everyday athletic looking shoe” that I would wear outside of the courts. They are fairly flat and extremely light weight (cloth top). I have another pair of casual shoes that I’ve worn a hole through playing pickleball. Neither of these light weight cloth top shoes would hinder my ability to react and sprint quickly. More importantly my legs nor feet would hurt. They are overdue for replacement however.

I have now played multiple sessions with four, count it FOUR, new pairs of shoes and I either feel like I have lead weight in my shoes slowing me down, my feet or legs ache that night or a combo of both.

I’ve tried CrossFit shoes, basketball shoes and two pairs of tennis shoes. Always problems. I’m not going cheap either, the least expensive pair was 90 bucks and most expensive 160.

How do I resolve this issue? I recently tried a pickleball match with my old casual shoes that literally have zero traction and my agility was back with no pain afterward.

I’ve thought about simply buying similar casual cloth athletic looking shoes but honestly I’ll go through them every other month and not sure I want to be buying 6 pairs of shoes a year.

Are there highly regarded foot diagram machines that can point out the type of shoe or in sole that is ideal for my feet? I’ve seen these but don’t want to get sold some marketing gimmick.

Is the issue simply the stiffness of new shoes and a dozen hours isn’t enough to fully work them in?

Thank you!
Sandtrap

Re: Pickleball Shoes / tennis shoes

Post by Sandtrap »

New Balance has a "foot print" chart that shows various feet patterns and what model shoes might work well for you.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

There are machines that can help if you don't know the ideal show type for your foot, usually found at running or walking stores.

My husband and I have each found that generally our favorites are trail running shoes, albeit different ones for each of us. I wear minimalist/ barefoot trail runners every day, so weight is a real issue with me. I mean, when I pick up my boots they seem pretty light, especially for boots, but when I spend a couple of weeks in the mountains in the winter, I am still really happy to be rid of them every day. I think it would take quite a few pickleball sessions to get used to a different weight.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I went to a local Dick's Sporting Goods store and purchased a pair of court shoes.

They are light, have a flat but grippy-enough sole, and work fine for me.

The store had a really helpful sales person.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

What court surface is your Pickleball court?

We are going to have separate lines drawn on our HarTru (like clay) tennis court next year for Pickleball. If that’s what you’re playing on, I’d recommend clay court tennis shoes, but I think most Pickleball is played on hard courts.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

I use New Balance 806 tennis shoes for both tennis and pickleball. About $104 per pair. You can get them in widths, I have flat feet so I put in an insert to give added support and cushioning. Aetrex L420 is the best insert I've found.

Tennis shoes are designed allow some slipping on tennis courts. For indoor courts you may find they slip too much. New Balance makes an indoor court shoe that has a gum sole to prevent slipping. I haven't tried them but I know a pickleballer who swears by them.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

I would not recommend any shoe other than a court shoe for playing court sports. Court shoes are designed for lateral loads where as running shoes and general shoes are only for moving in straight lines. Take a running or general shoe and flex it in every direction. Do the same thing with a good court shoe and you will se a big difference.
t2cycling

Post by t2cycling »

I play Pickleball outdoors 2-3 hours per day, five days a week and have “problem” feet. I have tried Adidas, Nike, New Balance and the new pickleball specific Fila court shoes. My favorite is the Adidas Adizero Ubersonic 3. They are the most comfortable and longest lasting court shoe that I have ever worn. They are currently on sale at Adidas.com and I just purchased my second pair.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

TAke a look at the ASICS gel-rockets. They are affordable and highly rated.

JT
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

The things we learn on BH.

I had never heard of pickleball before.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
bluebirdy

Post by bluebirdy »

Nearly everyone in my area wears indoor volleyball shoes (for indoor and outdoor pickleball play); such as ASICS gel-rockets.
riskreward

Post by riskreward »

Try the new K Swiss pickleball specific shoes. They are lightweight.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I would get a good (not cheap) pair of tennis shoes. Typically outdoor court surface is Decoturf (like tennis) and movements are similar. I love New Balance for support and width. I've seen people with wrong treads take tumbles due to the tread sticking to ground. I buy mine online, eg, Holabird, Tennis Warehouse, Midwest Tennis.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua »

When I first started playing pickleball I played in running shoes. Running shoes must have a soft sole compound because the sandpaper like surface of the pickleball court wore down the soles in no time. Someone who gives lessons where I play advised me to switch to court shoes. I've been wearing Asics Gel Resolution court shoes since. I feel more securely planted in those compared to running shoes and they don't wear out as quickly as my running shoes did. The Gel Resolution isn't cheap but for me I've deemed them worth it.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

watchnerd wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 am The things we learn on BH.

I had never heard of pickleball before.
LOL. Here, let me teach you something else (OT) as a bonus ;-)

racketlon
carolc

Post by carolc »

I play pickle at least 3 times a week. Always wear court shoes...Asics. I replace them annually (or less depending on sole wear). There are other good brands but they should be court shoes.

carolc
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

What surface are you playing on? That would make a big difference on the shoe I would think. I have tried Pickleball a few times and i think it is a ton of fun and a good way to stay active. Just keep moving its great!!
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

I play pickleball 3-4 times a week with a dedicated group. When I first started I just used what I had; a Nike Free light weight cloth top shoe. Those were dangerous to my health as I crashed and burned numerous times. Solution? A court shoe. I also run 4-5 times a week and for that I use a running shoe; Asics Nimbus. For Pickleball ( we mostly play outside) I use outdoor court shoes. First I used a Nike court shoe that had lots of traction but wore out in 8 months then a Head court shoe that was done in a similar amount of time. Now I found an Asics Gel game 7 tennis shoe. All have been just fine. I usually go to Amazon and find the cheapest shoe with good reviews; works. Everyone in my group also (now) buys the cheapest court shoe that they can find (usually a name brand of some sort). Nobody complains and all find that they have great grip and support without slipping and no falls. If you play indoors then get a specific indoor shoe; those for badminton or volley ball seem to work just fine. You can go to Pickleball Central and buy their recommended shoes but they are too pricey for me.

I will mention that all of us are older with me being the youngest at 69yo. But we certainly do not act our age. ( one gentleman of 85+yo just won the national championship for his age group) Possibly if you are a young whippersnapper of 40yo the above recipe will not work for you.

It seems that you may have a specific foot issue. You may possibly need to see a sports medicine podiatrist to see what is up. I did this 50years ago for running and found the SD Charger sports medicine guy and he made me a custom orthotic. Most likely you could try 10+ shoes and never find "the one". If you do, then buy 10 as the MFG will change it soon.

Good luck.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
Topic Author
LoveTheBogle

Post by LoveTheBogle »

t2cycling wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:57 am I play Pickleball outdoors 2-3 hours per day, five days a week and have “problem” feet. I have tried Adidas, Nike, New Balance and the new pickleball specific Fila court shoes. My favorite is the Adidas Adizero Ubersonic 3. They are the most comfortable and longest lasting court shoe that I have ever worn. They are currently on sale at Adidas.com and I just purchased my second pair.
$60 bucks for those Uber sonic 3! Wow. They look very similar to the athletic everyday shoes that I wear that did not hurt me it hinder my performance. I’ll be ordering a pair to try. I’ll update the thread when I try out.

I play on an outdoor hard surface (not clay).

I see a lot of recommendations for shoe types or brands. Two of the four pairs I tried that hurt were from recommendations from 4.0 players including $160 pair of court shoes.

For those that use in soles why did you choose what you have? Was it based upon standing on one of those machines to determine your arch among other things?

I find it disheartening that what one swears by can hurt my feet. There has to be some way of knowing a head of time????
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

I've been playing only for a few months, but also am looking for a shoe. I'm using my running shoes which don't have much lateral support. I also have a bit of plantar fasciitis on occasion. I saw these and am going to try them on later today.
https://www.midwestsports.com/k-swiss-e ... 20Products
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I bought New Balance 896, with wide feet I do not have many lower cost options.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I've been wearing ASICS Men's Gel-Dedicate 6 shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Gel-Dedica ... 07KJL1LMP/

They've been great for me. That said, everyone's feet are different. I tried on a lot of shoes before settling on these.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I like the Asics court shoes, but if you're playing outdoor make sure the ones you try are rated for outdoor. If you try, say badminton or volleyball shoes outside, the rubber sole will tear up very quickly. Likely lighter weight "tennis" shoes are going to be good.