Bathroom Remodel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mike512usa

Bathroom Remodel

Post by mike512usa » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 pm

We are having our bathroom remodeled. I did the main demo with just a false wall about four feet long needed to be removed. It includes a walk in closet 12'x12', bathroom 12'x14', toilet room 3'x6'. I felt the price was fair, $16,500 to include tile install, change out window, custom shower pan, paint, install toilet, cabinet, etc. The contract included us taking care of the cost of cabinet, toilet, lights, finishing items. Not mentioned was the shower glass install. I feel this should be included. Is shower glass normally excluded?

We have had the usual remodel nightmares. We have had hot water issues for several weeks due to how he did the valve install. He denied for days that he caused it but finally acknowledged it after talking to his plumber buddy. Constant delays. Blah, Blah... so not real happy about how it has gone down. I have not really expressed my displeasure yet. I wanted the project to get closer to completion before complaining too much plus I am withholding judgement on a few issues till I see the final product.

I spent $1200 plus a partial day of my time to replace hot water heater which he blamed the hot water issue on. I was planning on asking him to do some drywall repair (10'x6") for no cost downstairs due to some issues that he caused.

So how is the shower glass normally handled? Do you feel it's fair to ask for this work to compensate myself?

Broken Man 1999

Re: Bathroom Remodel

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:14 pm

We have had a preliminary meeting for master bath remodel. Our GC does not do the glass install. He was honest about it, as they always sub-contract it out with a glass company. I had some glass replaced a few years ago, and went directly to the glass company. Once shower basics are ready, I'll use the same company again. They did most, if not all, the glass work in our little subdivision when the homes were initially built. Our GC doesn't do counters, or glass. Just doesn't want to fool with it. Fortunately the counters and cabinets won't need to be replaced.

So, it isn't that unusual that some companies just don't do certain things.

But, I know this going in. Does your contract call for the company to install your glass?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

jminv

Post by jminv » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:25 pm

mike512usa wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 pm
We are having our bathroom remodeled. I did the main demo with just a false wall about four feet long needed to be removed. It includes a walk in closet 12'x12', bathroom 12'x14', toilet room 3'x6'. I felt the price was fair, $16,500 to include tile install, change out window, custom shower pan, paint, install toilet, cabinet, etc. The contract included us taking care of the cost of cabinet, toilet, lights, finishing items. Not mentioned was the shower glass install. I feel this should be included. Is shower glass normally excluded?

We have had the usual remodel nightmares. We have had hot water issues for several weeks due to how he did the valve install. He denied for days that he caused it but finally acknowledged it after talking to his plumber buddy. Constant delays. Blah, Blah... so not real happy about how it has gone down. I have not really expressed my displeasure yet. I wanted the project to get closer to completion before complaining too much plus I am withholding judgement on a few issues till I see the final product.

I spent $1200 plus a partial day of my time to replace hot water heater which he blamed the hot water issue on. I was planning on asking him to do some drywall repair (10'x6") for no cost downstairs due to some issues that he caused.

So how is the shower glass normally handled? Do you feel it's fair to ask for this work to compensate myself?
It’s not always included and wasn’t in your contract. I did what you’re doing now a couple years ago and made the guy do the glass in the end (for free). That was a mistake in retrospect because the install was not 100% perfect. For the second shower I picked out the glass and had whoever Lowe’s contracted with to install it after everything else was done. The install fee was very cheap, can’t remember now, but I’d have someone who does glass everyday do it, not the tile guy.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:38 pm

You said the price included a custom shower pan. If there was no further, explicit, written indication given that installation of the glass is intended to be included in the price, then no, it can not be assumed. Misunderstandings like this are a common pitfall of contracting for services, not just for home remodels, but just about anything complex. I think this is just a learning experience for you.

Given the incorrect valve install, the incorrect diagnosis of it and apparent lack of helpfulness, and the apparently premature water heater replacement you undertook at his recommendation, I do think it would be reasonable to propose that he install the glass or repair the drywall to make up for the trouble he caused.

However, from what you've described so far, I don't see a contractual recourse to require it as a condition of paying the full amount if he is ultimately fixing the problems. I think you're counting on him to recognize his mistake cost you unnecessary time and money, and to accept it as a way to salvage his reputation and hopefully earn future business.

Topic Author
mike512usa

Post by mike512usa » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:41 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:38 pm
However, from what you've described so far, I don't see a contractual recourse to require it as a condition of paying the full amount if he is ultimately fixing the problems. I think you're counting on him to recognize his mistake cost you unnecessary time and money, and to accept it as a way to salvage his reputation and hopefully earn future business.
Yes.

I had assumed that he was going to subcontract out the glass but as others have said it seems this will be a lesson learned for me. Thanks to everyone for their input.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:50 pm

While I was having a variety of work done, I ran into a problem where the contractor assumed I wanted the rectangular shower tile hung vertically instead of horizontally. I didn't and he did redo the portion they had started.

I suggested to him that stuff like this should be put on a checklist when he does work with customers. He is doing a number of bathrooms, kitchens, whatever and should be familiar with typical issues and things to iron out ahead of time. A customer is usually only doing a remodel once every 5, 10 years and isn't an expert.

Sounds like something that would have helped in your case. In my bath remodels the only things that were excluded were items like toothpaste holder, toilet paper holder, etc. Everything else was included although in most cases I went and got the items and then he would do the installation.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:57 pm

We just had 3 sinks with its faucets in 2 bath rooms replaced. But I had everything explained, and it just got finished without complications.The seats of 40 year old faucets no longer could get repaired. I was no longer able to lie on the floor, so we hired a plumber from a well known company, and yes it was expensive at $1,500 per sink.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:17 pm

It's overwhelming to think of everything up front but you really need to make sure everything you want is in the contract. I'm surprised it was not discussed. Pricing is regional and depends on materials chosen.

BobTexas

Post by BobTexas » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:01 pm

We’re you going to get frameless glass? That can get pricy. If you were doing some of the other finish work I could see how he might have assumed you were doing the glass

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:22 pm

A few years ago I redid our master bath. Check out price of "star bright" or clear glass that doesn't have a greenish look. It was a few hundred more but white marble sure looks good. I had a 62" W x 76" high glass wall with door using stainless hinge and handle installed for $1500. 3/8 tempered glass.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:45 pm

I have 10 rental homes and flip a house or two per year. I do most of the work myself, with a helper and sub out some stuff.

Shower door installs typically are handled by the local glass company. Tempered glass is super expensive. For a regular walk in shower, it could easily be $1500 to $2500 for parts and labor.

The price you got seems low. There’s a ton of work to do in a bathroom remodel. Especially if there is tile work.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:24 pm

We spent about $13k 5+ years ago. Shower door was included. Part of that was completely replace shower. 2 sides were tile on walls plus another shower wall. Only the door was glass. High quality heavy glass. I recall him saying that door was $1000.

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:39 am

If the contractor works as you describe - I'm not sure I'd really want him doing the glass?

The glass needs to be done right, otherwise you could end up with water in the wrong places leading to mold issues (or worse). The times I've had to put glass in a shower I've had to drill holes in the tile - and this is something you want to measure twice / cut once on (in addition to an appropriate drill bit, etc). This guy sounds like you've got a 50/50 shot on getting something good or getting more of a mess.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 am

Well, I bought from the glass manufacturer and told them to quote with and without install, I saved $1000 by doing the install myself (I think it was $3K for the glass). But, my install was not perfect, and now it's just another thing that bugs me, though probably no one else would notice the chips and scratch, and less than perfect caulk. Wish I would have just paid the glass company to install, it was a $45K total project. My contractor would not subcontract the glass and custom marble counter, but they did subcontract everything else, I remember that.

The marble provider would not let me install myself, they had to do it. That was fun to pick out the slab to be cut.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 pm

I ordered my shower glass from Amazon and installed it myself (with the help of two others). It was about 5'x7'. I don't have a door so that made it pretty easy. I wouldn't attempt to do something with multiple pieces myself. I had to buy diamond drill bits to drill into the tile and install the 4 clips. Then slid the glass in place and tightened the clips and caulked it all. I had an extra person because if you don't get it in straight or hit a corner, there goes hundreds of dollars. I saved around $500 doing it myself.

As to asking the contractor to do some other stuff because of screw ups, it doesn't hurt to try. Unfortunately, as things often are in these kinds of situations, there is probably not much else pursuing. Legally it wouldn't be worth the money and probably hard to prove. You can leave a bad review, but most contractors have so much work they don't care about that.