strong role model books for 8 YO girl

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
brandy

strong role model books for 8 YO girl

Post by brandy »

Please give me suggestions for empowerment books for an 8 year old girl.
Her mother, my DD2, is an electrical engineer, and her dad, a medical technician, have her in a Montessori school. They do some traveling, camping, have her in various activities throughout the year, including rock climbing, one of her favorites.
Any kid sized financial books available? Thanks!
minimalistmarc

Re: strong role model books for 8 YO girl

Post by minimalistmarc »

Harry Potter?
ohai

Post by ohai »

Art of the Deal.

Err. I remember as a kid relating to Rich Dad Poor Dad, as the Dad explanation is sort of put in a way that kids can understand.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Maybe movies such as Hidden Figures or Interstellar?

I'm trying to remember my daughter at 8 years old and cannot for the life of me remember "strong role model books" which were probably unneeded because her parents were strong role models.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Hunger Games? Maybe a bit advanced / unsuitable subject matter but within a few years would be good.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My sisters read all the Nancy Drew books.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

There are tons of children's biographies of significant historical figures ... Harriet Tubman, Jane Goodall, Ada Lovelace, Rosa Parks, etc.
setancre

Post by setancre »

"Ramona Quimby, Age 8" and the rest of Beverly Cleary's books, if she hasn't read them already.
Topic Author
brandy

Post by brandy »

Good ideas, all. Thanks.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

It's pretty dependent on the reading level of the kid, which could vary widely at age 8.

Some advanced readers at that age are close to or at the point of reading relatively thick, not-heavily illustrated books. Others need somewhat (or much) simpler fare.

Check with her parents.

Our local Barnes and Nobles used to have a great, large, kids' section - probably still does, but I haven't checked much recently as our kids have outgrown it.

If possible, consider taking the kid with you on an outing to a bookstore to pick out her own interests, with perhaps some nudging from you.

Libraries can be good, but I think there's some benefit to a kid having ownership of at least some books, too, if feasible.
sedna273

Post by sedna273 »

Depends on how advanced a reader she is. I think in 3rd/4th grade the books I enjoyed were: Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, Animorphs, and the fantasy novels of Tamora Pierce. I also read (and will re-read even today) Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series and Garth Nix's "Sabriel".
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Jocko Willink ( Navy SEAL, Leadership consultant, and father of 3 daughters) wrote a childrens book series, Way of the Warrior Kid.

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Warrior-Kid- ... 154&sr=1-3
J295

Post by J295 »

Look at Z Girls site. Might be applicable
k1mccardell

Post by k1mccardell »

https://www.amightygirl.com/
The world's largest collection of books, toys and movies for smart, confident, and courageous girls :happy
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Squirrel Girl (Marvel Comic).
Coraline (Neil Gaiman)
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

I would personally recommend books that are entertaining to read at her age.

Reading dull books early on could lead the daughter to be quite disinterested towards reading.

Depending on the daughter's reading ability, books by CS Lewis or Ronald Dahl could be nice. All the series of Narnia? All the series of Magic Tree House? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Matilda? Charlotte's Web? Harry Potter?

If she reads enjoyable books early on, she could get hooked into to the act of reading which will be much better for her growth than trying to find some dull motivational/role model book.

At least that's my perspective when it comes to reading at early age.
I enjoyed Goosebumps and Magic Tree House back then. And reading those books made me a better reader than those whose parents chugged classics, autobiographies, etc. early on.

If you must give a finance book, I would recommend The Little Book of Common Sense Investing. Repetitive and easy to read. Though to be frank, I would avoid finance books if possible at her age. The texts tend to be dull and repetitive (and rather sleep inducing)
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry is written to about a 10 yr old level, but is a remarkable book about some remarkable historical people.
chicago_meatball

Post by chicago_meatball »

Check out Rebel Girls

They are one page bios of woman throughout history branching from science, royalty, adventurers etc. when my daughter was 7/8 we would read a couple bios a night.

She even started transcribing them when lights were out and she was supposed to be in bed. This coming from a girl that didn’t like to read.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

I wouldn't emphasize books meant for girls, or with female protagonists. That's how separation starts, by feeling limited to whatever is targeted at you. By 11 she should be well into young adult biographies of both sexes. At 8 she is probably still deciding if reading is going to be a lifelong habit.

Giving her freedom and respecting her choices is better now than force-feeding her strong role models. We can't sure that an 8 yo will have exactly the same difficulties that adult women have today. Very hard to predict, especially the future.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:24 pm Maybe movies such as Hidden Figures or Interstellar?

I'm trying to remember my daughter at 8 years old and cannot for the life of me remember "strong role model books" which were probably unneeded because her parents were strong role models.
+1

At slightly older age I read a book on great scientific / medical discoveries. I remember Marie Curie. I also read about Amelia Earhart. It sounds like your DD2 will be a great role model too.

More recently, the movie “Hidden Figures” was really inspiring. The book, when she is older, would be great too.

Encouraging reading of all books is good. I read all of my mom’s Reader’s Digest books starting around age 11. It has lot of variety - including a history of the Johnstown Flood by David McCullough.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Christine_NM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:51 pm I wouldn't emphasize books meant for girls, or with female protagonists. That's how separation starts, by feeling limited to whatever is targeted at you. By 11 she should be well into young adult biographies of both sexes. At 8 she is probably still deciding if reading is going to be a lifelong habit.

Giving her freedom and respecting her choices is better now than force-feeding her strong role models. We can't sure that an 8 yo will have exactly the same difficulties that adult women have today. Very hard to predict, especially the future.
+1
AnonLady

Post by AnonLady »

My favorite book as a kid was "A Little Princess". It has a great main character who makes lemonade whenever life gives her lemons, who is an excellent role model IMO.
Topic Author
brandy

Post by brandy »

Psteinx, You’re right of course. Since she’s “There” and I’m “Here”, maybe I’ll just have her ma or pa take her to the bookstore. I am, and both DD’s are lifelong readers, and I know the GD has at least a few books—I sent her three Dahl’s a while back. She also has several picture books her mom read when she was little. Mrs. Twiggley’s Tree and Stand back, Said the Elephant about had the print read off the pages! :happy I see both are in her possible age range. Then we moved and books were borrowed.

I don’t recognize many of the titles suggested in this thread, I don’t remember what I did read way back then. I DO remember having to go to the library with my older sister so she could borrow books for me as I was too young to take the books I wanted. We even had to sneak in the stacks: the librarians would make me go back to MY age books. THEY were VERY strict about that.

K1mccardell, that Mighty Girl site was what I had in mind. :happy I’m reading The Notorious RBG adult version, having finished the youth version yesterday, and checked to see if there was a kids version, and there are kids’ RBG books. That is what brought me here to ask, figuring there must be other “heros”.

Many of these sound so interesting to me now, Maybe I'm headed into a second childhood.

Sedna273, The OuAnonLadytsider, J295, alex_686, fwellimort, Theoretical, chicago_meatball, Christine_NM, Dottie57, AnonLady, Thanks to you all, for ALL the great suggestions and links, Everyone. I’ll send them on to (her and) her parents so they can make good choices together for her. :sharebeer (milk, of course!)
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

Christine_NM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:51 pm I wouldn't emphasize books meant for girls, or with female protagonists. That's how separation starts, by feeling limited to whatever is targeted at you. By 11 she should be well into young adult biographies of both sexes. At 8 she is probably still deciding if reading is going to be a lifelong habit.

+1

Get her developing that lifelong reading habit as soon as possible. Pay attention if she has difficulty reading -- my daughter has mild dyslexia that went undetected for over a decade.

It will become much easier to find good role models when she's a older -- many adult women narratives are too much for an 8 year old, but would be fine for a teenager or perhaps some pre-teens. In that vein, lookup some of the female adventure motorcyclists like Lois Pryce, Eslpeth Beard, Benka Pulko, Theresa Wallach, etc. -- some truly impressive expansions of the possible.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
TheCowbell

Post by TheCowbell »

My girls loved Harry Potter, and I loved reading the books with them and then visiting Universal Studios, it was a real treat experiencing that theme park after having read the books.

They are now reading the "Land of Stories" book series and are very much enthralled by it. I very much agree with the sentiment given above about not forcing a narrative however it so happens one of the main characters is a powerful magical girl.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

Perfect age for the Little House on the Prairie book series.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:11 pm
livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:24 pm Maybe movies such as Hidden Figures or Interstellar?

+1

At slightly older age I read a book on great scientific / medical discoveries. I remember Marie Curie. I also read about Amelia Earhart. It sounds like your DD2 will be a great role model too.

More recently, the movie “Hidden Figures” was really inspiring. The book, when she is older, would be great too.

Encouraging reading of all books is good. I read all of my mom’s Reader’s Digest books starting around age 11. It has lot of variety - including a history of the Johnstown Flood by David McCullough.
Cooper, it’s not possible.

No, it’s necessary.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

I've heard the Amulet series is good. https://www.amazon.com/Amulet-1-8-Box-K ... 1338328182
JPM

Post by JPM »

Children's biographies should be within reach of a bright 8 year old.

"Boss Ket" by Rosamond Young is a bio of Charles Kettering, electrical engineer and founder of DELCO. It follows his development as an engineer developing automotive products and then his development as a businessman founding DELCO and later a leader at GM, following Alfred Sloan as CEO there.

"Atomic Pioneers" by the Hieberts was another favorite of my kids growing up. This one gives short biographical sketches of scientists and their discoveries. Introduces scientific concepts in an interesting and accessible way through the personalities of the scientists.
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

chicago_meatball wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:39 pm Check out Rebel Girls

They are one page bios of woman throughout history branching from science, royalty, adventurers etc. when my daughter was 7/8 we would read a couple bios a night.
+1 my daughter got this as a birthday gift. Even her brother reads it and finds it interesting
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

The Bogleheads Guide to Investing. Start ‘em young.

Too many girls are raised/conditioned to think that financial matters are for boys/men to deal with.
ElJefeDelQueso

Post by ElJefeDelQueso »

brandy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm Please give me suggestions for empowerment books for an 8 year old girl.
Her mother, my DD2, is an electrical engineer, and her dad, a medical technician, have her in a Montessori school. They do some traveling, camping, have her in various activities throughout the year, including rock climbing, one of her favorites.
Any kid sized financial books available? Thanks!
Trixie Belden mystery series.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Joan Aiken, The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (and subsequent) or The Whispering Mountain.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Tamora Pierce's series are full of strong female characters and were my wife's favorites.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Random thoughts.

Although many things can be said about it one way or another, in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass Alice is subtly subversive. She generally "behaves well" but she thinks for herself and has no problems with implied, and sometimes direct criticism of adults when they happen to be idiots.

The same thing is true of E. Nesbit's novels of fantasy and magic. The "formula" is four children of mixed gender discovering something magic and having to cope with it, and the children are all enterprising, explorers, and creative. Ditto the novels of Edward Eager which are patterned on those of E. Nesbit, and he more or less acknowledges it--the children in his stories have read the E. Nesbit books and he usually puts in a pitch for them. The female characters are not necessary conspicuously "strong" but they are not just companions or sidekicks, either.

Let her find her own books. You never know just what a child is going to take from what book, anyway. If she has a latent interest in, let's say, geology, it may be more important to get the message that "there is a thing called geology and it can be your actual job and you get to go cool places and bang on rocks," then that "it can be a woman's job." I assume she has a library card? Give her plenty of opportunity to use it. I don't know if it's true everywhere in the country, but around here you can be sure that public libraries will have a decent assortment of the "Who Was Marie Curie?" genre, waiting to be stumbled on.

The "stumble-upon" factor is very important.

Afterthought on geology: she's not old enough to read John McPhee's books like Basin and Range--straight adult nonfiction targeted at the same reading level as The New Yorker. But my point is that although there's nothing self-consciously feminist about his writing, he does talk about going with geologists to look at things and often they are women. No big deal, no special point is made about it. My point is that it doesn't need to be all Marie Curie and Rosalind Franklin and Maria Mitchell.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

The Freddy the Pig books by Walter R. Brooks are some of our favorites. Great series!
Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out »

I would strongly suggest supplementing with video (TV, movies, etc) strong role models as well. If shes in school (especially public) where the other kids will have cell phones and plugged into youtube and other sources of video that perpetuate a very negative image of women. Cardi B, Nikki Menage, even those like Ariana Grande flop around music videos and have lyrics that will make your hair stand up.

You can hide these images from them but you can have an open conversation on why these ladies are choosing to make a career this way and that is their choice. Even why it is successful to begin with. Raunchy sells unfortunately. If you pretend it does not exist or try to hide it from her, when she reaches teenage years you, will be this out of touch old timer (you will anyway but it will be worse) and your advice is obsolete.

I've had good luck showing my kids the good and acknowledge the ugly and explaining why it is ugly even if it initially look attractive (characteristics of the best marketing, sell you something that is bad for your by making it look great). gold plated doo doo. :)
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

Island of the Blue Dolphins features a courageous young female adolescent as the lead character. Excellent, timeless story.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

CoastalWinds wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:28 pm The Bogleheads Guide to Investing. Start ‘em young.

Too many girls are raised/conditioned to think that financial matters are for boys/men to deal with.
I'm 5 times older than the young reader in question and even I would think that book would be a boring gift that would never get opened.
itmaybejj

Post by itmaybejj »

My dear spouse maintains topical lists of all the best books our kids have read and/or have been recommended for when they are a little older:
https://bitly.com/LucyBooks

Reading levels range from board books to middle school at the moment.

Here's the sublist she tagged "Strong Female Protagonist:"
https://princetonlibrary.bibliocommons. ... agonist(s)

As I recall around age 8: Narnia, the Critter Club and the Boxcar Children were in heavy rotation.

"Jam & Jelly by Holly & Nellie" on that list is 8 year old economics: a girl wants a new coat for the winter and the family can't afford it, so she and her mom spend the summer making jelly and selling out of a roadside stand. It's sweet.
gd

Post by gd »

The Tiffany Aching series in Terry Pratchett's diskworld set.
WhyNotKnow

Post by WhyNotKnow »

The Phantom Tollbooth.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/378 ... _Tollbooth

For kids of all ages.
Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs »

Parent to an 8 yr old here:

There's a great series from Andrea Beaty: Rosie Revere, Engineer. Ada Twist, Scientist. Iggy Peck, Architect. All very nice illustrations and have a science/hard work spin. My daughter has all of them. They are about 6-9$ each on Amazon.

Also 2nd the Rebel Girls suggestion.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

setancre wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:40 pm "Ramona Quimby, Age 8" and the rest of Beverly Cleary's books, if she hasn't read them already.
Beverly Cleary is a wonderful writer.
Also, the Anne of Green Gables books.
It's really important to read to your child every night, and ask questions as you go along, not just factual, but let her synthesize the story with her life, i.e., "why do you think Anne did that?" "who is your favorite character, and why?"
She will then have excellent reading comprehension and love reading, too!
totallystudly

Post by totallystudly »

Can't hurt me David goggins
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Narnia series
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

"Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls." 100 stories, 1 page each (great for bedtime reading), about 100 extraordinary women.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Stori ... 159&sr=8-2
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

TallBoy29er wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:53 am "Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls." 100 stories, 1 page each (great for bedtime reading), about 100 extraordinary women.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Stori ... 159&sr=8-2
I haven't personally read this, but friends rave about it.

Things we've liked: Ramona Quimby, Harry Potter, Tiffany Aching, and The Girl Who Drank The Moon. Little Women when she's a bit bigger.

I think it's important to have stories about girls doing interesting things even with strong role models in life. Imagining oneself as a hero is fun, and it can't all be princesses all the time...
gd

Post by gd »

Veering slightly, but Terry Pratchett's presentation of witches as an underappreciated bedrock of society seemed like also a great gender treatment & social commentary, aside from the Tiffany Aching teenage girl theme. They grow up, plant some seeds. Speaking as an old man, FWIW.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

For financial books, focus on the short ones that are written in a parable format. Examples include:

- Richest Man in Babylon
- The Wealthy Barber
- Rich Habits (the kid version of this is "Rich Kids," but both are accessible.)

- Rich Dad, Poor Dad is also good, but it depends on the kid.

For less advanced readers, make sure they read Aesop's Fables. The parables teach excellent life lessons, including financial lessons.

You might be interested in reading "How a Second-Grader Beats Wall Street," and leave it lying around. If she gets interested, she might read it.

A financial book written for kids is "$100 to $1,000,000: Earn! Save! Invest!" by the producers of BizKids on PBS. If she gets interested in the BizKids series, she might be interested in the book. It's stories of how a kid can get rich and provides all the basic financial lessons.