Advanced Excel (Software)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Grt2bOutdoors

Advanced Excel (Software)

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:43 pm

Are there any websites that provide good tutorials or lessons, possibly classes on using advanced Excel functions?
Looking for things like writing IF/Then statements, Vlookup, pivot tables, macros to analyze large quantities of data.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

jubby288

Re: Advanced Excel (Software)

Post by jubby288 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 pm

YouTube, Udemy, EdX, class at local community college

Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:17 pm

We used this site.
https://www.mrexcel.com/

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:20 pm

I would consider myself an expert Excel user/designer. StackOverflow is a great resource. You can teach yourself easily if you have some background in coding logic. Honestly, just type your question into Google Search and you'll get a dozen great webpages, including sometimes Microsoft's own support website. Here's a cool lesson guide, start where you're familiar: https://excelexposure.com/lesson-guide/
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:28 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:20 pm
I would consider myself an expert Excel user/designer. StackOverflow is a great resource. You can teach yourself easily if you have some background in coding logic. Honestly, just type your question into Google Search and you'll get a dozen great webpages, including sometimes Microsoft's own support website. Here's a cool lesson guide, start where you're familiar: https://excelexposure.com/lesson-guide/
+1

I have a degree in Math and formal training on different high level modeling (R, Python, SAS), however, no real excel training. Excel Exposure helped me a ton after graduation. Spent maybe 100 hours spread over two weeks and became an expert. Years later I'll still revisit just to see what new stuff they post there. Awesome free resource!

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:55 pm

YouTube channel Excel is Fun. https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 pm

I do a lot of financial modeling so excel exposure covers solid basics to help the OP. However, I get a lot of requests for one off Excel questions at work, using the web to search and using Mr. Excel comes in handy.

There is so much one can do in Excel, For example, never played with the slicer option for multiple pivot tables as I rarely use pivot tables in my work. People in our marketing and purchasing groups use them a lot and our office pivot table guru is my go to guy when I have questions.

Get your hands dirty, that's how you become better at Excel.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:10 pm

The key is knowing what you want to do. If you can articulate that, and Google it, you can figure out just about anything.

I've always found I learn much better if I actually use the skill.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:35 pm

I do a lot of vba (macros), homeandlearn.org has an excellent online tutorial for that. Then stackoverflow or ozgrid forums
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 pm

First you have a calculation problem. So, to solve your problem, you become an Excel expert. Now you have two problems. :D

Sorry, sometimes unraveling the mess that is the product of excel "experts" is the bane of my existence.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 pm

Lynda.com your public library might already have a subscription.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:27 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:43 pm
Are there any websites that provide good tutorials or lessons, possibly classes on using advanced Excel functions?
Looking for things like writing IF/Then statements, Vlookup, pivot tables, macros to analyze large quantities of data.
I've got older versions of Excel 2016 Bible: John Walkenbach: 9781119067511: Amazon.com: Books sitting on my office bookshelf. They are excellent resources to learn the features you've mentioned. Many considered his books as the unofficial Excel missing manual.

John Walkenbach used to run a website, The Spreadsheet Page, which is now offline. The last version can be seen at https://web.archive.org/web/20190629142 ... ge.com:80/
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams