Stove range lights

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ipod_keith

Stove range lights

Post by ipod_keith » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:27 pm

We have overhead lights on our range/hood that take GU10+C lights (120v 50w). There are halogen and one of them recently burnt out. I would like to replace them with LEDs, but have a question I couldn't find in the manual or within Amazon reviews:

There are two settings on the range for the lights, high and low. Does this mean the replacement LED bulbs should be dimmable?

Has anyone had success in a similar situation? My inlaws did something similar a few years ago, but their replacement LEDs flickered quickly, so I'm checking reviews to be sure that risk is minimized.

Thanks for any help

Gryphon

Re: Stove range lights

Post by Gryphon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:07 pm

If you want to use the low setting you're going to want dimmable lights. I replaced the exterior lights in my over-the-range microwave with dimmable LEDs several years ago. It seems to me they flicker a tiny amount on the low setting, but I can barely tell.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:15 pm

I’m all in for LEDs, except for this one use case. LEDs really don’t like heat. Just saying.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Topic Author
ipod_keith

Post by ipod_keith » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:30 pm

Hmm...the heat is a very interesting concept that I had not considered. I have no idea how warm the area of the stove gets, but it certainly could be a factor in how well they work.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:35 pm

ipod_keith wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:30 pm
Hmm...the heat is a very interesting concept that I had not considered. I have no idea how warm the area of the stove gets, but it certainly could be a factor in how well they work.
Fwiw, on the advice of the people I'm purchasing a new range hood from, even though they have LEDs and halogen available, and knowing that my home is at least 95% LED, they recommended halogen for this specific use. According to them, a lot depends on how "hot" you're cooking and for how long (e.g., wok vs a simmering soup), but since you don't use the lights for that long a time, they felt that it wouldn't hurt to use halogen.

Post by 123 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:38 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:15 pm
I’m all in for LEDs, except for this one use case. LEDs really don’t like heat. Just saying.
But leds are frequently in the warmest part of the room, up on the ceiling. I've also seen them used as standard equipment in range hoods. But I guess I haven't seem them INSIDE an oven.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:15 pm
As a counterpoint, the Halogens that came with our range hood all failed within two years due to (their own) heat. There were literally burn marks on the outside ceramics. LED replacements have been in there for 3 years now. I paid $16 for three, but can now get six for $17--just $1 more per bulb than the halogens. I wouldn't hesitate to use LEDs again.

The two levels do work, but there's some weird flickering on the lower level, so we just use only full brightness since the change. There are more expensive ones that appear to be legitimately dimmable, so I might consider those if my current ones ever die.

Omalley

Post by Omalley » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:49 pm

The factory halogen bulb in our new range hood lasted about 2 months, the LED replacement is fine after a year. As previously mentioned, the halogen had scorch marks when we replaced it and would burn the back of your hand if you bumped the covering. No inadvertent burns with the LED!

The LED low setting is too dim for any real use, so we use on 'high' when in the kitchen.

Omalley

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:08 pm

And, again, BHs is timely with advice. I will order my new range hood with LEDs after all. Thanks all.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:20 pm

We had halogen lights in the kitchen from our previous remodel, and they were always burning out. I hated them. :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Now the kitchen ceiling lights are all LEDs. No more halogen lights in the kitchen, unless there are some in the over-the-range microwave, or possibly in the range. Not sure what is in those two appliances. I suppose I should check and buy some spares to have on hand.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Topic Author
ipod_keith

Post by ipod_keith » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:22 pm

Well, maybe timely for you, but my wife wishes I had put a new bulb in weeks ago :)

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:23 pm

:D :sharebeer

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 pm

ipod_keith wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:22 pm
Well, maybe timely for you, but my wife wishes I had put a new bulb in weeks ago :)
Sadly, for me at least, DW wouldn't be happy if a light is out in her kitchen. Seems a small price to pay for me not to be hassled!

It is the silly little things that keep harmony in the casa. :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:06 am

ipod_keith wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:27 pm
Has anyone had success in a similar situation? My inlaws did something similar a few years ago, but their replacement LEDs flickered quickly, so I'm checking reviews to be sure that risk is minimized.
I put an LED bulb in my range hood. The light switch has off-on-night. The night setting obviously puts a diode in series. This makes the LED flicker at 30 Hz. I doubt that this way of dimming would work with a dimmable LED.

Someday I may rewire with a simple on-off switch, or with two different LED bulbs.

LAFiddler

Post by LAFiddler » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:06 am

I’ve had the dimmable LEDs in mine for a couple of years now. No issue, and we cook nightly with high heat.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:15 am

Agreed. I've had Philips mr16 LED's in our range hood for ~7 years now. No issues. I tend to cook with lots of heat.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:39 am

I've had LED lights in my range hood for years. I bought dimmable because my hood has 2 light levels. I am able to adjust between the two levels. I keep it on 24 hours a day (like a night light) and they last a long time. I only keep one bulb (out of two) in there and keep it on low as otherwise it was very bright even with low wattage bulbs.