Neighbor Harassment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tool-Time

Neighbor Harassment

Post by Tool-Time »

Neighbor’s BF moved in last year. Nothing but trouble. Apparently doesn't have a job. Blasting stereo, leaving fires unattended, leaving their trash cans in front of our home. All petty stuff but it bugs me. Police wont do anything. Looking for suggestions. Also looking for camera suggestions.

Thanks
RickBoglehead

Re: Neighbor Harassment

Post by RickBoglehead »

It stinks to have a lousy neighbor. Beyond police and zoning officials, your options are limited beyond moving.

There are sound ordinances.
There are burning ordinances.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

Rental or no? If rental, you could call the property manager or landlord - they might not know another person is living there and it could violate the lease.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Move!

If you don't like it, that is what you have to do OR ignore it.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

You might want to contact your equivalent of "City Hall".
There may be zoning violations, or other similar (sanitation?), that aren't directly under the police dept.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

RickBoglehead wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:52 pm It stinks to have a lousy neighbor. Beyond police and zoning officials, your options are limited beyond moving.

There are sound ordinances.
There are burning ordinances.
+1. Ask me how I know. Luckily that neighbor moved (lost the house to bank foreclosure). I called the police a dozen times over the years for their dog that literally barked all. Night. Long. They were never home when it was happening. Parties in the summer in their pool until all hours on weeknights. Riding a motorcycle in the vacant lot behind my house. Throwing trash into my yard. Police just have bigger fish to fry. They were sympathetic, but there's not too much to be done. Even noise ordinance is tough to enforce. They would tell the police they'd be quiet and would start yelling underneath my bedroom window ten minutes later (their pool was not 100 feet from my window). Their smaller dog dug underneath the fence and tried to bite me. I kicked it in self defense. The current neighbors are nice and quiet. Even asked me before having their fence replaced. I didn't mind that the workers were on my property. The new fence is an improvement. Sorry you're going through this.... The ugly truth is, there's little to be done..
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Please explain all.

Blasting the stereo means different things to different people.

What does leaving a fire unattended mean? Do you want him to be right beside it at all times?

Leaving the trash can in front of your home...well, I would use the trash can and put our garbage in it, I guess. Otherwise, if you don't need it, maybe have the garbage men take it away?

All of these might be annoying, but not necessarily considered harassment. What does the neighbor on the other side think?
ohai

Post by ohai »

I wouldn't call this "harassment". Seems like the guy is just dirty and loud. He is not trying to target you. I know it's annoying, but unless he's breaking some law or regulation, it's within his rights to be annoying... Rich people buy big houses to put a buffer between themselves and others.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Buy a six pack and go sit down with him. Find something in common. After a few visits and a little rapport has built up see if he will listen to you.

More likely to make progress this way than calling cops and collecting evidence.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"What does leaving a fire unattended mean?"

Seriously? It means you don't leave an open fire unattended. And you have means at hand to put it out and a way to quickly summon help if it spreads.

www.dof.virginia.gov/infopubs/Outdoor-Fire-Laws_pub.pdf

"4. Have water and hand tools, such as a
shovel and/or rake, available.

5. Have communication available or have
someone nearby who can call for help in
case of an emergency.

6. Burn when the humidity is high and the
wind is calm.

7. Burn between 4:00 p.m. and midnight.
The 4 PM Burning Law is in effect from
February 15 through April 30.

8. Stay with the fire until it is completely out."
Topic Author
Tool-Time

Post by Tool-Time »

Sound comes thru walks of my home from across the street.

He leaves his home with a fire burning in one of those round, above ground fire pits, no one else home. Fire Marshall spoke to him and now he leaves it burning into the night.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I'm sorry. Everyone has a bad neighbor at least once in their lives. Right now, it's your turn. It's not fun, and I'm sure you feel helpless. Living for 30 years in a gentrifying slum, we've experienced this multiple times.

Do they rent or own? Do you rent or own? Are other neighbors bothered by this guy? Has anyone talked to the guy?

What do local codes (noise ordinances and such) say about what they're doing? Any chance you can get the local laws enforced?

If they rent, talking to their landlord might be useful, especially if you can get multiple neighbors to talk to their landlord. Especially if you can call the landlord when the tenant is being troublesome in the middle of the night.

If you rent, threaten to move, and make your landlord do the dirty work. I had a tenant that had a neighbor problem. When my property manager threatened the neighbor's landlord with legal action the problem was quickly solved.

We have managed to get the city to take action on egregiously bad neighbors (drug houses, people who were threatening their neighbors, etc), but it required half the neighborhood to get involved, took a long time for things to work through the system, and the problem was much worse than what you're describing.

If nobody is home when he has a fire going, call the fire department. Let them tromp across his yard and put it out. Will they bill him for the service?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

andypanda wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:38 pm "What does leaving a fire unattended mean?"

Seriously? It means you don't leave an open fire unattended. And you have means at hand to put it out and a way to quickly summon help if it spreads.

www.dof.virginia.gov/infopubs/Outdoor-Fire-Laws_pub.pdf

"4. Have water and hand tools, such as a
shovel and/or rake, available.

5. Have communication available or have
someone nearby who can call for help in
case of an emergency.

6. Burn when the humidity is high and the
wind is calm.

7. Burn between 4:00 p.m. and midnight.
The 4 PM Burning Law is in effect from
February 15 through April 30.

8. Stay with the fire until it is completely out."
The OP did not give any indication of what type of fire his neighbor was burning, nor where he lives--is it a fire pit, a grill, or what?? Did the neighbor run into his house for a minute, or what? That's why I asked him to explain. There are different rules for in-town and out-of-city limits on burning. The rules for Virginia don't necessarily apply elsewhere in the country.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ohai wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:28 pm I wouldn't call this "harassment". Seems like the guy is just dirty and loud. He is not trying to target you. I know it's annoying, but unless he's breaking some law or regulation, it's within his rights to be annoying... Rich people buy big houses to put a buffer between themselves and others.
If this is the worst OP's neighbor is doing, I'd consider them lucky. Seriously, calling the cops because their trash can was in front of the wrong home? Let me guess, OP has never simply talked to the neighbor about these minor annoyances.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Thread has run its course and is closed (neighbor relationship).