Anyone bought a Volvo with Swedish pickup/shipment to US option?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
biscuits

Anyone bought a Volvo with Swedish pickup/shipment to US option?

Post by biscuits » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:01 pm

My husband and I are considering buying the Volvo SC90 T8 (plug-in hybrid SUV), thanks to a suggestion on this forum. We test-drove it last weekend and liked it a lot.

The dealer told us about their pick-up-in-Sweden program: we receive 2 r/t tickets to Gothenburg, an overnight in a hotel, transfer to their factory to pick up our car, 15 days of insurance, and then shipment of the car back to our dealer in the US. This is all in the brochure at the Volvo site. He also said that we would receive 9% off MSRP (though I don't see this in the brochure).

We are the early stages of the car-buying process, and may settle on the Toyota Highlander (or something else--looking for an SUV with maximum safety features).

But if we get the Volvo, this option sounds very tempting. I wonder if anyone here has taken it, and has any advice or experience to share. Thank you!

https://assets.volvocars.com/us/~/media ... f?la=en-us

barnaclebob

Re: Anyone bought a Volvo with Swedish pickup/shipment to US option?

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:18 pm

I haven't done it but all reports that I've read about it are good. There really aren't any gotchas as far a I know.

Steve K

Post by Steve K » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm

My wife and I did this about 10 years ago. Hotel was nice and everything went as described. Did some sightseeing in Gothenburg and a day trip to Malmo and Copenhagen using the SUV. We had a great time. Gothenburg is cold in the winter, would suggest spring visit if you can.

jwasilko

Post by jwasilko » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:16 pm

It's a program with a great reputation. Only snag is that it can take a while for the car to get to you from Europe. If you don't need it delivered on a tight schedule, it's a great program! I'd like to do it at some point.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:20 pm

My sister in law did this with a new BMW 10+ years ago. It worked out fine until the car was shipped back then it was tracked as received in the US but no one at the dock where they were supposed to pick it up knew where the car was at.

They lived on the east coast so they were just going to pick it up at the dock since it was not far away. I forget just where this was at but it was likely in some industrial area of some place like New Jersey.

After much back and forth over the telephone with no results they went down to the dock and were somehow able to get into the area where the incoming cars were stored at. Without much trouble they found their car sitting there, and it was unlocked with the keys in the ignition. It had been sitting like that for several weeks.

It was fine but it sounded like it would not have been hard for someone to have driven off with it.

In retrospect picking it up at the dock was probably a bad idea and it would have been better to have picked it up at a dealership.

If you do this be sure that all the shipping details and insurance are real clear so that if there is a problem it will be someone else's problem.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:34 pm

In addition to the delay to receive your vehicle, another downside is that the price is not negotiable. If it is in fact 9% off of MSRP you have a chance of doing better were you to go the more conventional route of bargaining with a local dealer.

One other thing to check, I believe that in some states this vehicle is eligible for a state rebate/credit. You would want to be sure that you could still get that even though you are taking delivery in Sweden.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:18 pm

Novice Q - Why does Volvo pay for 2 RT tickets, hotel stay and and such? Do they still make money on car price even after giving 9% off MSRP?

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:18 pm

We almost did that with a Volvo sedan several years ago but ended up getting another car. It seemed like a great program!

As someone who just went through a similar purchase decision, we had it down to the Volvo, the Highlander, and the new Kia Telluride. We ended up getting the Telluride and we really like it. If you haven't tried one out it might be worth a drive.

Can't really go too wrong with any of those cars!

Topic Author
biscuits

Post by biscuits » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:18 pm
I haven't done it but all reports that I've read about it are good. There really aren't any gotchas as far a I know.
Thanks! That's reassuring.

Topic Author
biscuits

Post by biscuits » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Steve K wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm
My wife and I did this about 10 years ago. Hotel was nice and everything went as described. Did some sightseeing in Gothenburg and a day trip to Malmo and Copenhagen using the SUV. We had a great time. Gothenburg is cold in the winter, would suggest spring visit if you can.
Thanks! Good to hear. Yes, we were thinking of going in May.

Topic Author
biscuits

Post by biscuits » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 pm

jwasilko wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:16 pm
It's a program with a great reputation. Only snag is that it can take a while for the car to get to you from Europe. If you don't need it delivered on a tight schedule, it's a great program! I'd like to do it at some point.
Yes, you are right about that. Looks like delivery can take several months. We would be in the US, but about 2,000 miles from home, at delivery time if we were to go to Sweden in May. I want to look into whether we can take delivery in another state and then drive the car back home.

Topic Author
biscuits

Post by biscuits » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:39 pm

Watty wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:20 pm
My sister in law did this with a new BMW 10+ years ago. It worked out fine until the car was shipped back then it was tracked as received in the US but no one at the dock where they were supposed to pick it up knew where the car was at.

They lived on the east coast so they were just going to pick it up at the dock since it was not far away. I forget just where this was at but it was likely in some industrial area of some place like New Jersey.

After much back and forth over the telephone with no results they went down to the dock and were somehow able to get into the area where the incoming cars were stored at. Without much trouble they found their car sitting there, and it was unlocked with the keys in the ignition. It had been sitting like that for several weeks.

It was fine but it sounded like it would not have been hard for someone to have driven off with it.

In retrospect picking it up at the dock was probably a bad idea and it would have been better to have picked it up at a dealership.

If you do this be sure that all the shipping details and insurance are real clear so that if there is a problem it will be someone else's problem.
Yikes! What a harrowing tale! The Volvo salesman told us that they require pickup at the dealership, where they "load in all the US maps" and check out the car.

Topic Author
biscuits

Post by biscuits » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:42 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:18 pm
We almost did that with a Volvo sedan several years ago but ended up getting another car. It seemed like a great program!

As someone who just went through a similar purchase decision, we had it down to the Volvo, the Highlander, and the new Kia Telluride. We ended up getting the Telluride and we really like it. If you haven't tried one out it might be worth a drive.

Can't really go too wrong with any of those cars!
Thanks so much! We will check out the Kia Telluride! I hadn't heard of it.

Topic Author
biscuits

Post by biscuits » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:54 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:34 pm
In addition to the delay to receive your vehicle, another downside is that the price is not negotiable. If it is in fact 9% off of MSRP you have a chance of doing better were you to go the more conventional route of bargaining with a local dealer.

One other thing to check, I believe that in some states this vehicle is eligible for a state rebate/credit. You would want to be sure that you could still get that even though you are taking delivery in Sweden.
Thanks, those are both very helpful points.

My state doesn't have any tax incentives, but at fueleconomy.gov I see a Federal tax credit of $5,419, with these requirements--I would need to check and be sure that the pickup in Sweden wouldn't disqualify us in some way:

To be certified for the credit by the manufacturer, the vehicle must meet the following requirements:

The original use of the vehicle commences with the taxpayer—it must be a new vehicle.
The vehicle is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale. (The credit is only available to the original purchaser of a new, qualifying vehicle. If a qualifying vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit.)
The vehicle is used mostly in the United States.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

Topic Author
biscuits

Post by biscuits » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:56 pm

niceguy7376 wrote:
Novice Q - Why does Volvo pay for 2 RT tickets, hotel stay and and such? Do they still make money on car price even after giving 9% off MSRP?
Good questions which I can't answer. Maybe someone else can.

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 pm

biscuits wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:56 pm
niceguy7376 wrote:
I was told it was subsidized by the Swedish government as a tourist promotion.

LoveTheBogle

Post by LoveTheBogle » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 pm

yosh99 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 pm
biscuits wrote:
niceguy7376 wrote:
And manufacturers have WAY more than 9% margins. The selling dealership has more than 9% margins. As another poster pointed out the Sweden experience price is non-negotiable. So you may be able to get the vehicle for much less without doing the promo. Get a list of 3 closest Volvo dealerships and first negotiate the price of the vehicle. THEN inquire about the Sweden trip option. Only then will you really know the additional cost (if any).

Topic Author
biscuits

Post by biscuits » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 pm
yosh99 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 pm
biscuits wrote:
niceguy7376 wrote:
And manufacturers have WAY more than 9% margins. The selling dealership has more than 9% margins. As another poster pointed out the Sweden experience price is non-negotiable. So you may be able to get the vehicle for much less without doing the promo. Get a list of 3 closest Volvo dealerships and first negotiate the price of the vehicle. THEN inquire about the Sweden trip option. Only then will you really know the additional cost (if any).
Thank you so much. Great advice.

KO_Stradivarius

Post by KO_Stradivarius » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:28 am

I used the overseas delivery program this year to get a 2020 V60. The program runs very smoothly and there is no hastle, though delays are sometimes reported. Volvo takes care of the shipment home and customs. The car will arrive at the dealer you used to place the order. A few thoughts and things to consider:

You get to build the vehicle exactly how you want it, subject to the standard variants of trim and options. There is a price sheet floating around on the web, it will show you exactly what the cost will be for the vehicle configuration that you want. I had a look and there is a 9% difference from MSRP for the one you want. The discount varies by model. I think mine was 5%. You pick what you want from the price list and the dealer places the order. There is no extra doc fee or any other kind of fee to place an OSD order. Don't let any dealer tell you there is one.

The duration of the process is long. You need to place the order a minimum of 4 months before you wish to pick up the car in Sweden. After you drop off the car, the shipment can take anywhere between 6-12 weeks depending on where in the US you are located.

If you are planning on financing the purchase, be aware that you need to pay for the vehicle in full approximately 30 days before you take delivery in Sweden and you will not be able to get a title until you register it when it arrives in the US. If you do not use Volvo's financing, there are only a handful of lenders who will be willing to wait that long for a title. You can always pay cash, of course. There is also nothing stopping you from refinancing with whoever you wish after it arrives. Not that big a deal, but may impact your calculations.

You are not limited to only 15 days. This is just the duration of the insurance that is included in the standard cost. You can buy extra (it's cheap) for up to six months, which is the maximium allowed by the program. You also do not have to return the car to Gothenburg. I met a couple that was planning to drive down into Germany and drop the car off in Frankfurt. Another was planning a drive into Norway and taking a ferry over to the UK. There are a few other dropoff points available in Europe. The same arrangement is possible with the flights if you do an open jaw type journey. I think they will check that the flights you want will be within budget. I'm not sure what that budget is, exactly, but it seems to be quite generous.

Those are a few things that come to mind at the moment.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:49 am

The best resource for Volvo Overseas Delivery is on SwedeSpeed.com.
https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisp ... very-Forum

If I didn't find a CPO 2019 XC60 T8 that met my requirements I'd be planning a OSD purchase.