Charleston mid-March to mid-April Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RocketCity22

Charleston mid-March to mid-April Recommendations

Post by RocketCity22 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 am

DW and I plan to meet friends in Charleston this spring for a long weekend (4 days). We're looking for both casual and nice dining recommendations as well as fun places to visit (not necessarily touristy). One friend has recommended the walking ghost tour that includes dining & history.
Thanks in advance!

dsmil

Re: Charleston mid-March to mid-April Recommendations

Post by dsmil » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:58 am

Here are some of things we liked:

“Free” Tour of Charleston – 2 hour walking tour and our guide was really good.
http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/charlest ... -district/

Kudu Coffee & Beer – They serve coffee and great beer, and have a nice outdoor courtyard. We were here a lot! - http://kuducoffeeandcraftbeer.com/

Poogan’s Porch – This is where I tried shrimp and grits for the first time (voted best shrimp and grits in Charleston) http://www.poogansporch.com/

Husk Restaurant – This place was featured on Anthony Bourdain’s show so it’s very tough to get a table. They change the menu every day. We didn’t actually make it here but it looks interesting. http://huskrestaurant.com/home/

Hominy Grill closed recently so you can ignore anyone suggesting that.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:19 pm

Charleston a fantastic place to eat. It's almost hard to go wrong, as long as you steer clear of the places around the Market (excepting Penninsula Grill).

You'll get a great meal at any of these places:
- High end: McCrady's, FIG, Chaleston Grill, Penninsula Grill, Chez Nous, Slightly North of Broad, Trattoria Lucca
- Casual to Higher End: Edmund's Oast, Macintosh, Husk, The Ordinary, Malago (tapas), Oku (sushi), Indaco, Barsa
- Casual - Butcher and Bee, Little Jack's Tavern (the burger, my god, the burger, smallish and pricey but oh my), Xao Bao Biscuit, Lewis BBQ, Cru

Also hearing great things about Tu and Darling Oyster Bar

And these are just some off the top of my head that I've eaten at. Seems like great new places pop up every day there. Also, these are just places on the Penninsula. Lot's of great places in surrounding areas too.

PS, I think Poogan's has been overrated for a very long time (along with Jestine's and principle tourist trap, Hymans) and pretty mediocre as far as Charleston goes.
Last edited by caffeperfavore on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:20 pm

The USS Yorktown is one of the best military museums you will find.

https://www.patriotspoint.org/

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:30 pm

I would agree that Poogan's is overrated, grossly in my opinion! Been there on each of my last two visits to Charleston and only went there because the others in the party wanted to go and I did not want to spoil their party.
Tom D.

EdNorton

Post by EdNorton » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 pm

If you like oysters and dive bars, Bowen's Island Restaurant. :sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:06 pm

EdNorton wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 pm
If you like oysters and dive bars, Bowen's Island Restaurant. :sharebeer
:thumbsup :thumbsup

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Low country cuisine is available in dozens of restaurants. The restaurant I go back to is Slightly North of Broad (SNOB). It has been around a long time and is smaller than some of the others which I think improves food quality.

Lewis BBQ is popular and fun (Texas style when you burn out on low country).

I'd definitely stay in the Historic District for walkability.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:08 pm

stan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:37 pm
I'd definitely stay in the Historic District for walkability.
+1. Any money you save from staying across one of the rivers will not be worth it.

Build in time just to wander the back alleys and side streets, especially those between Broad and the Battery.

SCb&b

Post by SCb&b » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:16 pm

caffeperfavore wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:19 pm
Charleston a fantastic place to eat. It's almost hard to go wrong, as long as you steer clear of the places around the Market (excepting Penninsula Grill).

- High end: McCrady's, FIG, Chaleston Grill, Penninsula Grill, Chez Nous, Slightly North of Broad, Trattoria Lucca
- Casual to Higher End: Edmund's Oast, Macintosh, Husk, The Ordinary, Malago (tapas), Oku (sushi), Indaco, Barsa
- Casual - Butcher and Bee, Little Jack's Tavern (the burger, my god, the burger, smallish and pricey but oh my), Xao Bao Biscuit, Lewis BBQ, Cru

And these are just some off the top of my head that I've eaten at. Seems like great new places pop up every day there. Also, these are just places on the Penninsula. Lot's of great places in surrounding areas too.

PS, I think Poogan's has been overrated for a very long time (along with Jestine's and principle tourist trap, Hymans) and pretty mediocre as far as Charleston goes.
Charleston resident here. These are all really excellent recommendations. Except I would say that Tu sucks unless you like weird experimental food. I would also add Indaco as really excellent casual to higher end Italian food on peninsula and reasonably priced for King Street. Edit - now I see it on the list already.

For off beaten path, go to Coda del Pesce on Isle of Palms. Beginning to get buzz. Bit of a drive from downtown though.

Overall, just follow this person's recommendations.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:37 pm

My Favorite is 39 Rue Jean (located at 39 Jean st.). The mussels are fabulous!

https://www.allmenus.com/sc/charleston/ ... jean/menu/

I did a restaurant tour there. It was a lot of fun!

KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:07 pm

caffeperfavore wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:19 pm

We didn't care for FIG or Husk, which seem to always get recommended but obviously we're outliers as they're very popular. I do want to +1 the Little Jack's rec -- I still dream about that burger. The Ordinary was good; great cocktails and seafood tower. Another spot we really enjoyed was Leon's Oyster Shop. Casual, fun, a great wine list.

Topic Author
RocketCity22

Post by RocketCity22 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Thanks for the great recommendations!
I like the idea of staying in the Historic district and would appreciate recommended accommodations for a mid-priced hotel or even B&B (if possible - understand this area may be more expensive).

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm

We (2 adults; 1 teenager) stayed at this B&B several years ago and loved it. The hosts were terrific. From a glance at the reviews on TripAdvisor, it seems they are still going strong.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... olina.html

Enjoy your trip!

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 pm

I've seen it recommended at least once, but you HAVE to go to the Macintosh. It's AMAZING.

Get the bone marrow bread pudding, if you're not a vegetarian. It's life-alteringly delicious!!

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Not sure how McCrady's and Husk are since Sean Brock decamped to Nashville. I did hear that the Husk pub was fantastic and more casual/inexpensive.
Would recommend Zero George as well