Trip to NYC/Broadway

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Trip to NYC/Broadway

Post by Crow Hunter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:21 pm

My wife is wanting to take her Mother to NYC to watch Music Man with Hugh Jackman once it starts playing.

Neither of us has ever been to NYC or tried to get tickets to a Broadway show.

Travel agent or are there "package deals" or is there a better way to go about this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

four7s

Re: Trip to NYC/Broadway

Post by four7s » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:51 pm

Make it special. Simply go online to the theaters website and purchase directly from theater. Don’t worry about discounted tix or going to any trouble trying to save a buck. Buy ‘best available’ from the theater and make it a special treat for your wife and mother-in-law.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:12 pm

You can order tickets here now:

https://www.telecharge.com/eventovervie ... ctId=12924

Get the tickets first and then get the hotel. Enjoy!
Best Wishes, | Joe

canderson

Post by canderson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:25 pm

There will be no discounts for this production so book direct via Telecharge linked above. Do not buy via any other site.

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:32 pm

What about hotels/travel?

Any places to avoid?

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Crow Hunter wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:32 pm

Any places to avoid?
TripAdvisor can help you:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g607 ... otels.html
Best Wishes, | Joe

canderson

Post by canderson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 pm

Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?
Budget and type of traveler you are will help define. NYC is, well, large.

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:51 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 pm
Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?
TripAdvisor can help you:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g607 ... otels.html
Thank you!

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 pm

canderson wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 pm
Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?
Rubes from the South.

Like to keep all in price less than $2k would be ideal but this will be a once in a lifetime trip (cost and her age) for my MIL who is a huge Broadway and Hugh Jackman fan. So we are willing to spend what it takes to make it worth her while.

canderson

Post by canderson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:01 pm

Crow Hunter wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 pm
canderson wrote:
Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?
Rubes from the South.

Like to keep all in price less than $2k would be ideal but this will be a once in a lifetime trip (cost and her age) for my MIL who is a huge Broadway and Hugh Jackman fan. So we are willing to spend what it takes to make it worth her while.
$2,000 for the hotel itself? How many nights?

Music Man tickets will run $200= each so you are aware for anything decent. In fact some are $440+ (after fees and taxes).

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:01 pm

Does MIL have any mobility issues?

How many nights? I'd recommend at least 3 or 4. There are many things to do in NYC.

Personally I would never stay in the Times Square area but it is closest to theater. It is very touristy, over-crowded, and it not representative of the rest of the city but if you want to eat dinner at Red Lobster, Plant Hollywood or Applebee's while in NYC its the place to be.

I prefer to stay in NoMad or Flatiron (along Broadway between 14th and 35th approx). You will find dozens of choices. If arriving by train to Penn Station it can be convenient to stay close to it.

Amtrak is the easiest way to arrive in Manhattan if you live within 6-8 hours from NYC.

Personally I find Newark to be easier than JFK or La Guardia but with 3 people you are close to break even on a taxi/Uber and what you'd want to do anyways if MIL has mobility issues.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?
Here is a hotel about a block from the theater:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... _York.html
Best Wishes, | Joe

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:09 pm

canderson wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:01 pm
Crow Hunter wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 pm
canderson wrote:
Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?
Rubes from the South.

$2,000 for the hotel itself? How many nights?

Music Man tickets will run $200= each so you are aware for anything decent. In fact some are $440+ (after fees and taxes).
My wife was hoping $2k for the flights/tickets/hotels all together. I am assuming that this is with her her sister paying an equal amount so $4,000 total budget.

But having never done anything like this before, we have no idea if that is appropriate or not.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:16 pm

Figure at least $500 a night per room for hotel, $250 each for show tickets, meals will be $25+ per person lunch and dinner. Cab fare $15 per trip (unless you can walk). Add it up and see where that gets you.

Whatever it is, it's worth it. Music Man, Hugh Jackman, Sutton Foster - I'm going too. :sharebeer

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:18 pm

stan1 wrote:

How many nights? I'd recommend at least 3 or 4. There are many things to do in NYC.

Personally I would never stay in the Times Square area but it is closest to theater. It is very touristy, over-crowded, and it not representative of the rest of the city but if you want to eat dinner at Red Lobster, Plant Hollywood or Applebee's while in NYC its the place to be.

I prefer to stay in NoMad or Flatiron (along Broadway between 14th and 35th approx). You will find dozens of choices. If arriving by train to Penn Station it can be convenient to stay close to it.

Amtrak is the easiest way to arrive in Manhattan if you live within 6-8 hours from NYC.

Personally I find Newark to be easier than JFK or La Guardia but with 3 people you are close to break even on a taxi/Uber and what you'd want to do anyways if MIL has mobility issues.
No mobility issues but I am not sure what other things they are going to want to do. I just volunteered to ask here because I knew there were people from NYC and/or who have made trips like this before on this forum.

No one we know personally has even been to NYC. :D

My wife flew into LaGuardia on her way to Canada for a business trip many years ago.

They will be flying out of either Nashville or Memphis and they want to go to see that play and that is about the extent of what they have planned at this point.

She isn't even sure if she wants to sit in the mezzanine or the orchestra. At the Memphis Orpheum she prefers the view in the mezzanine.

Also, I won't be going. Just my wife and her sister and their Mother (my BIL is still not sure).

This trip isn't my type of thing. :wink:

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:23 pm

Crow Hunter wrote: My wife is wanting to take her Mother to NYC to watch Music Man with Hugh Jackman once it starts playing.
Neither of us has ever been to NYC or tried to get tickets to a Broadway show.
Travel agent or are there "package deals" or is there a better way to go about this?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Depends on your style, but here's what we did earlier this year.

We stayed at the New York Marriott Marquis https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ ... t-marquis/ near Times Square and the Broadway theaters - pricey but great location and nice room - and within walking distance of two Juniors Cheesecake Restaurants https://www.juniorscheesecake.com/blog/restaurants/ so we could eat any kind of cheesecake for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks :mrgreen:

We took a fabulous 6-hour tour of NY City, a great overview of the City, we went everywhere - of course, the guide makes the difference, but our guide was tops https://www.viator.com/tours/New-York-C ... 7081NYCDAY

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:16 pm
Figure at least $500 a night per room for hotel, $250 each for show tickets, meals will be $25+ per person lunch and dinner. Cab fare $15 per trip (unless you can walk). Add it up and see where that gets you.

Whatever it is, it's worth it. Music Man, Hugh Jackman, Sutton Foster - I'm going too. :sharebeer
+1 for Sutton Foster. She was fabulous in "Anything Goes."
Best Wishes, | Joe

muffins14

Post by muffins14 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm

You will be able to find rooms much cheaper than $500 per night in flatiron/NoMad, just check hotels.com etc. $200-$300 is reasonable

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:16 pm

Many theaters have lots of terrible seats. Spend $ on center seats close up.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:31 am

beyou wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:16 pm
Many theaters have lots of terrible seats. Spend $ on center seats close up.
I agree get the best seats you can find at this point. The show is selling fast so don't put off getting the tickets. If the show is extended the main performers may leave the show as that is common.They don't stay with the show forever.

Also arrive at your hotel the day before the show as there can be delays in traveling. I speak from experience.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 am

If you can travel mid-week it helps a lot with hotels. I just booked the W hotel in Times Square for around $220 a night in mid-February, a Tuesday-Friday stay.

canderson

Post by canderson » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 am

Isabelle77 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 am
If you can travel mid-week it helps a lot with hotels. I just booked the W hotel in Times Square for around $220 a night in mid-February, a Tuesday-Friday stay.
Actually for NYC hotels weekends are usually cheaper due to conferences not being held as much. Especially if you get toward the southern tip of Manhattan the Ritz Carlton can often be had for $379 on a Saturday night.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:49 am

Sounds like the thought of going to NY and accompanying plans is daunting, you might try to work with a travel agent if you know one. Tell them your financial and other needs and they will take a lot of the uncertainty/pain off your back. NY is a big place but worth this special trip. Good luck.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:53 am

canderson wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 am
Isabelle77 wrote:
Actually for NYC hotels weekends are usually cheaper due to conferences not being held as much. Especially if you get toward the southern tip of Manhattan the Ritz Carlton can often be had for $379 on a Saturday night.
Interesting. It was not the case for Times Square hotels for this particular week. Perhaps it differs by neighborhood?

Jnick55

Post by Jnick55 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 am

Until a few months ago, I worked up the block from the theater and slept over often in the area when work prevented a commute. Hilton Garden Inn at 8th Avenue and 49th Street is reasonably priced, clean, quiet, centrally located in the city and near to the theater. Avoid Broadway, 7th and 8th Avenues in the 40s. They are fun to see in the evening for about an hour but too crazy. Also, the restaurants in that area tend to be junky as others have said. A pretty restaurant near the theater but away from the Times Square craziness is Vice Versa. A good nearby steak restaurant is Bobby Vans but it’s just steak and seafood. Hailing a taxi or even getting an Uber after the shows let out can be a challenge in that area. That’s why I would recommend staying within walking distance.
Last edited by Jnick55 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:00 am

If this is a popular show - and comments indicate it is! - then check a few different dates/days of week/show times to see if you can get those good seats.

I agree that *good* seats (or, especially not *bad* seats!) can make a huge difference.
They'll be expensive if you can find availability. And for a weekly theater habit, it would add up.
But for a "one time special trip", try to get them.

Non "date-night" (not Fri/Sat evenings) or matinees, if there are afternoon performances, might have better seating availability.

Hope you (they) all have a great time!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:03 am

My mom and i went on a NYC trip through AAA in 1987. Are there any group trips that might work?

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:07 am

Isabelle77 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:53 am
canderson wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 am
Isabelle77 wrote:
Interesting. It was not the case for Times Square hotels for this particular week. Perhaps it differs by neighborhood?
It also matters the time of year. Prices usually drop in the winter months.
Best Wishes, | Joe

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:13 am

I agree with trying for the best seats. Ticket availability is usually better during the week than weekend.

Being a first nyc trip, I’d get a hotel within walking distance of the theater, particularly if you have a night show. Cabs after theater can be difficult.

With the theater at 50th and broadway, I’d get a hotel a bit uptown from Times Square. Probably between 50th and 57th near broadway.

For sightseeing, consider the hop on-hop off bus. It goes to many popular sights.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.

supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:16 am

Stay at an Airbnb in either Greenwich Village or Chelsea, the two best neighborhoods in NYC IMHO. You are going to get way more bang for your buck than a tiny hotel room in Disneyfied Times Square. Heck, I would avoid Times Square entirely unless cheesy tourist traps happens to be your bag.

We would recommend based on our recent stay there in the fall:

https://abnb.me/wQLh2q4Qb3

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:25 am

If you sign up for the Hilton HHonors Amex Surpass card and meet the requirements, you could get up to 125,000 bonus points. Doubletree in Chelsea is pricing at 70,000 points per night. And Hilton HHonors app lets you contribute points to discount your total stay, so you don’t have to waste points.

I’m not certain on the details, but I’ve also found the Hyatt points system to be lucrative if you rack up a credit card bonus or two.

With a little research, you might be able to do this trip in top quality accommodations for very little out of pocket by playing the travel rewards game.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:29 am

Jnick55 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 am
Until a few months ago, I worked up the block from the theater and slept over often in the area when work prevented a commute. Hilton Garden Inn at 8th Avenue and 49th Street is reasonably priced, clean, quiet, centrally located in the city and near to the theater. Avoid Broadway, 7th and 8th Avenues in the 40s. They are fun to see in the evening for about an hour but too crazy. Also, the restaurants in that area tend to be junky as others have said. A pretty restaurant near the theater but away from the Times Square craziness is Vice Versa. A good nearby steak restaurant is Bobby Vans but it’s just steak and seafood. Hailing a taxi or even getting an Uber after the shows let out can be a challenge in that area. That’s why I would recommend staying within walking distance.
Excellent info thank you!

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 am

Thanks for all the information.

You guys are great!

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:02 am

If you want to see other shows, discounted tickets can be had the day of the performance at TKTS in Time Square, https://www.tdf.org/nyc/81/tkts-live?loc=tisq

fallingeggs

Post by fallingeggs » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:52 am

stan1 wrote:

This. Or north of Times Sq and south of Central Park. Or anywhere along Park Ave on the east side. Stay away from the area southwest of Port Authority (which call themselves Times Sq) even though there are cheaper places there. That is lower than 42 and west of 8th ave. It’s a bit nasty over there with the homeless and drug addicted. For a few days, I’d avoid AirBnB.

revert

Post by revert » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:20 pm

As others have noted, it gets very touristy east of 8th. However, 9th/10th between 42nd and 50th is a nice area to stay - there are numerous hotels, good food (check out restaurant row, Chez Napoleon, etc), and you can easily walk to the theater (which is a huge advantage in terms of before/after show stress).

If you don't want to stay within walking distance, I'd look either north of 57th along the 1/2/3 (Upper West Side), or down in Flatiron off of the N/Q/R/W.

magicrat

Post by magicrat » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:38 pm

St. Marks Hotel. $140 per night, cash. Clean, safe, small, bare bones. And in a way cooler place than Times Square.

windrose

Post by windrose » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:51 pm

Years ago, while visiting NYC, I came across a group of people just standing around, blocking the sidewalk. "What are we waiting for?" I asked them. "Hugh Jackman", they answered.

He was starring in "A Boy From Oz" and they were all waiting at the theater's side door after the show, so he could sign their Playbills. So I decided to wait with them. When he finally came out, he could not have been more charming to the crowd, and signed everyone's programs, and chatted a bit with everyone. This was the days before smart phones/selfies, so I don't know if they allow that, but if your MIL is a huge fan, I recommend they scout out the location of the side door so they can at least try to have him sign the program. I think even then he had a "minder" who was moving him along, so the whole thing happened pretty fast, but as far as I know, this is still a Broadway tradition.

I understand your wife's preference for the mezzanine--sometimes when it is a show with really great sets, and a lot of dancing and moving around on the stage, you can benefit from an elevated view....but for a show with a big name, I'd go for a closer seat. Plus there is usually more legroom on the floor seats.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:09 pm

It really depends on how adventurous they are. Do they want to experience New York or Times Square? Two very different places. I am a huge fan of the ethnic food there. Queens has got some incredible options.
Last edited by yangtui on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?
If you are looking for places to avoid I'd say avoid NYC. :happy

This is much better than anything Hugh Jackman can do and much cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/Music-Man-Robert ... 002M85TF4/

I just came back from seeing a local play of Mamma Mia, should have just watched the movie instead haha.
Last edited by manatee2005 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:27 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:19 pm
Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?

I just came back from seeing a local play of Mama Mia, should have just watched the movie instead haha.
Where’s the “not helpful” button? Going to New York and seeing a good Broadway musical is an experience that is not at all like watching a 50 year old movie on DVD.

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:31 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:27 pm
manatee2005 wrote:
Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?

I just came back from seeing a local play of Mama Mia, should have just watched the movie instead haha.
Where’s the “not helpful” button? Going to New York and seeing a good Broadway musical is an experience that is not at all like watching a 50 year old movie on DVD.
You are referring to the version with Robert Preston and Shirley Jones as a "50 year old movie?" Where is the ban button lol

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:01 pm

They have tickets and a hotel room!

I really, really appreciate everyone's help. Saved me quite a bit of money AND took a lot of decision making out of my MIL hands.

Which is always a great thing because she can make the most simple decision into a monumental task. I think the CIA should use my in-laws group planning into an interrogation method. People would spill their guts just to escape.

Luckily I won't have to be involved in the decision on where to eat and what to do the other days they are there. :mrgreen:

:sharebeer

canderson

Post by canderson » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Crow Hunter wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:01 pm

I really, really appreciate everyone's help. Saved me quite a bit of money AND took a lot of decision making out of my MIL hands.

Which is always a great thing because she can make the most simple decision into a monumental task. I think the CIA should use my in-laws group planning into an interrogation method. People would spill their guts just to escape.

Luckily I won't have to be involved in the decision on where to eat and what to do the other days they are there. :mrgreen:

Just curious, what hotel did they choose?

FWIW we always stay at the Bryant Park Hotel - average 25 nights a year there.

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:50 pm

canderson wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:26 pm
Crow Hunter wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:01 pm

Just curious, what hotel did they choose?

FWIW we always stay at the Bryant Park Hotel - average 25 nights a year there.
Hilton Garden on 8th. Could always cancel/change though. I just wanted them to make a decision and have something planned. They can hem and haw to hearts content now. They have tickets and a place to stay. I can step out of the picture. :)

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:40 pm

I know it is far in the future, but come back and let us know how your ladies fared in the Big Apple. :happy
Best Wishes, | Joe

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:34 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:31 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:27 pm
manatee2005 wrote:
Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?

You are referring to the version with Robert Preston and Shirley Jones as a "50 year old movie?" Where is the ban button lol
My apologies. I described it wrongly. It’s a much too long 58 year old movie, that happens to have a few good songs.

Topic Author
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:10 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:40 pm
I know it is far in the future, but come back and let us know how your ladies fared in the Big Apple. :happy
Will do. :)

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Crow Hunter wrote:

Any places to avoid?
Why?
Not my favorite city but definitely a place to see and spend some time. One if top 2-3 in US.
It's true that for 2000$ she could go Paris or London. But that is a completely different thing.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:30 am

Congratulations on your upcoming trip. I usually suggest that people have at least one dinner at a nice restaurant while in NY City. Consider the $50 pre-theater pre fixe at Estiatorio Milos if it fits into your plans.

Also, prepare for the worst airport experience you will have in your life. I didn't see any mention of which airport you're flying into, but each has its own attributes that makes them "special".