What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Artful Dodger »

John3 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 pm A great traditional New Orleans Jazz band- Tuba Skinny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdTeXC8xWg
Nice. We saw Tuba Skinny last November In New Orleans in a club on Frenchman’s Street.
The Electrician

Post by The Electrician »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:56 pm
John3 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 pm A great traditional New Orleans Jazz band- Tuba Skinny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdTeXC8xWg
Nice. We saw Tuba Skinny last November In New Orleans in a club on Frenchman’s Street.
Ya hadda mention NOLA!
Gov't Mule with Maggie Koerner & Trombone Shorty - I'd Rather Go Blind @ Saenger Theater 2015 (I wasn't there, dangit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zo01RMOGNI
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

In honor of Leonard Cohen's birthday today (September 21, 1934 – November 7, 2016): Mix - Leonard Cohen - YouTube
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Tubeway Army - Replicas
The Electrician

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:44 am In honor of Leonard Cohen's birthday today (September 21, 1934 – November 7, 2016): Mix - Leonard Cohen - YouTube
Thanks for the reminder! Here's an old favorite of mine (of his ;} )

"...it's time that we began
to laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETFVXALh7js

:|
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Is anyone else here a fan of Marshall Crenshaw?

I discovered him only a few months ago (via Robert Christgau's website), during which time I've been listening nearly constantly to his first five albums. His music is a masterly update on fifties and sixties rock.
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:33 pm Hey, thanks for the link. The archive recording is from an audience tape, while the Dick’s Pick is from the sound board, a Betty board to boot. One of the reviews specifically mentioned the better quality of Brent Mydlands organ on Not Fade Away on the archive tape vs the Dick’s Picks release, so checked out that that song as well as a few others and was impressed overall with the audience recording.
Some of the audience recordings are quite good. The Dead were among the first bands to welcome tapers at shows and folks showed up with high quality gear to take advantage of the policy. I believe the band was leading the push for better concert sound, especially in the early 70s, so it made for a good combination. Hard to beat a Betty board, though!
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

mikejuss wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:32 pm Is anyone else here a fan of Marshall Crenshaw?

I discovered him only a few months ago (via Robert Christgau's website), during which time I've been listening nearly constantly to his first five albums. His music is a masterly update on fifties and sixties rock.
I'm old enough to have bought his debut when it came out, and I've still got it. Buddy Holly crossed with Revolver-era Beatles — great stuff! "Someday Someway" is the first one that comes to mind but he had a lot of little three-minute gems — "Cynical Girl," "Rockin' Around in NYC," etc.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Strummer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:46 am
mikejuss wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:32 pm Is anyone else here a fan of Marshall Crenshaw?

I'm old enough to have bought his debut when it came out, and I've still got it. Buddy Holly crossed with Revolver-era Beatles — great stuff! "Someday Someway" is the first one that comes to mind but he had a lot of little three-minute gems — "Cynical Girl," "Rockin' Around in NYC," etc.
THanks, I listened and enjoyed various singles on spotify yesterday.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Strummer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:46 am

And I'm old enough to have bought some of his albums from the nineties--but I heard about him only this year. It's hard to believe he didn't ever have a big hit on the radio (or at least not one that I heard).
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Strummer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:42 am
Artful Dodger wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:33 pm Hey, thanks for the link. The archive recording is from an audience tape, while the Dick’s Pick is from the sound board, a Betty board to boot. One of the reviews specifically mentioned the better quality of Brent Mydlands organ on Not Fade Away on the archive tape vs the Dick’s Picks release, so checked out that that song as well as a few others and was impressed overall with the audience recording.
Some of the audience recordings are quite good. The Dead were among the first bands to welcome tapers at shows and folks showed up with high quality gear to take advantage of the policy. I believe the band was leading the push for better concert sound, especially in the early 70s, so it made for a good combination. Hard to beat a Betty board, though!
I can remember attending past concerts and seeing the taper's section usually set up right in front of the sound board area.

You're absolutely correct on the band's push for better concert sound quality. Their "wall of sound" set up was revolutionary and was a major impetus to providing a much improved musical experience for large concert venues.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Big Mama Thornton with the MUDDY WATERS Blues Band - 1966 — Big Mama Thornton & Muddy Waters

Willie Mae “Big Mama” Thornton with the Muddy Waters band, a sheer delight. And could she belt them out. Her style influenced Elvis & Janis.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iceport

Post by iceport »

I've been absolutely blown away by the 50th anniversary re-imagining of the classic Cat Stevens album, Tea for the Tillerman.

The original album is such a masterpiece that I still break it out once in a while to enjoy its timeless charms. Yet the completely new version of the album has updated each of the songs, often with surprisingly different approaches, while respecting the original versions. It's lovingly arranged and beautifully produced with mostly the same personnel. Another masterpiece that takes nothing away from the original.

The entire new album is available on YouTube. This selection dives into the fifth cut, Miles from Nowhere, but the rest of the album playlist can be accessed from there. Really amazing stuff. Voice still sounds great, and the new album is even more lush and beautifully produced than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru2j85V ... Ow&index=5

He even sings a duet with a 50-year-old live recording of his younger self in Father and Son. It's very well done.

Yusuf/Cat Stevens Re-Records ‘Tea for the Tillerman’ for 50th Anniversary
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

iceport wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 pm I've been absolutely blown away by the 50th anniversary re-imagining of the classic Cat Stevens album, Tea for the Tillerman.

The original album is such a masterpiece that I still break it out once in a while to enjoy its timeless charms. Yet the completely new version of the album has updated each of the songs, often with surprisingly different approaches, while respecting the original versions. It's lovingly arranged and beautifully produced with mostly the same personnel. Another masterpiece that takes nothing away from the original.

The entire new album is available on YouTube. This selection dives into the fifth cut, Miles from Nowhere, but the rest of the album playlist can be accessed from there. Really amazing stuff. Voice still sounds great, and the new album is even more lush and beautifully produced than the original.

He even sings a duet with a 50-year-old live recording of his younger self in Father and Son. It's very well done.

Thanks for mentioning this! I heard him interviewed on NPR recently re: this release. :happy
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

iceport wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 pm I've been absolutely blown away by the 50th anniversary re-imagining of the classic Cat Stevens album, Tea for the Tillerman.

I believe the album doesn't release until November? Called Tea for the Tillerman 2? I can't find it on either Spotify or YTMusic. Amazon lists the album and says you can stream it free, but I can't get it to work for me.

I checked out your youtube links. Thanks! He still has a good voice. I wonder if the album is from the same performances or from studio recordings. The new arrangements will take getting used to.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Sous le ciel de Paris — Juliette Gréco (R.I.P. 09/23/2020)
https://youtu.be/3MtkiiF6YMo
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

heartwood wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:10 pm I believe the album doesn't release until November? Called Tea for the Tillerman 2? I can't find it on either Spotify or YTMusic. Amazon lists the album and says you can stream it free, but I can't get it to work for me.
Yes, it’s called Tea for the Tillerman2, and it’s available right now for streaming on Apple Music, see below. I just finished listening to it, some poignant moments for me. I bought the first version in 1970. I’m glad he’s back.
iceport

Post by iceport »

heartwood wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:10 pm I checked out your youtube links. Thanks! He still has a good voice. I wonder if the album is from the same performances or from studio recordings. The new arrangements will take getting used to.
No, he actually re-created each piece and re-recorded it, using some of the original studio musicians and the original producer from 50 years ago. Judging from the sound quality and care taken with the arrangements, this seems to have been quite an ambitious project — and a labor of love. (The Rolling Stone article I linked above gets into some of that.) The one exception is on Father and Son, for which they use the vocals from a live performance recorded 50 years ago to sing the "son" parts of the tune, providing a starker contrast with the older voice of the "father," the singer's own more experienced voice now. It's done seamlessly and doesn't come off as hokey at all. Very cool.

As for getting used to the new arrangements, I actually had the opposite reaction: I immediately welcomed the new versions enthusiastically, almost without exception. As much as I cherish the original album, the fact of the matter is that I've known and loved the tunes for just about 50 years now, and that very familiarity is, on some level, a detraction. Since retiring 3 years ago, I've actually gotten reacquainted with the original album, and play it fairly often, most often choosing not to play it again just to avoid "wearing it out." So the new arrangements, infusing new perspectives while still respecting the older versions, are a delightful diversion from the well-worn originals. It's like the tunes have all been given a new life. (And there's no need to wonder what the original artist thinks of the changes. :) )
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:02 pm I immediately welcomed the new versions enthusiastically, almost without exception.
I did too. He knows how to touch the heart.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:05 pm
iceport wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:02 pm I immediately welcomed the new versions enthusiastically, almost without exception.
I did too. He knows how to touch the heart.
Yes, he does. A truly gifted songwriter and composer.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Another album on frequent rotation here is Caitlin Canty's 2018 release, Motel Bouquet. She's a great writer, and an honest and vulnerable singer. The album is also blessed with numerous stand-out musicians, including Stuart Duncan on fiddle and Noam Pikelny on guitars and banjo.

Album playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6N9gfRw6B0

River Alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PleVoTp ... B0&index=2
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour — Whiskey Part 1
After an absence of eleven years the Theme Time Radio Hour returns!
https://medium.com/@fredbals/bob-dylans ... e401e36a18

https://bobdylan.lnk.to/ThemeTimeRadioHour
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Live in Cook County Jail — B.B. King
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... 8eoxS-sDmo
batpot

Post by batpot »

Devo - Are We Not Men?
Gut Feeling!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

batpot wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:32 pm Devo - Are We Not Men?
Gut Feeling!
I like Devo, I guess you could say I’m a Devotee, especially Whip It — most people do. The video is hilarious.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

J.J. Cale - After Midnight.

Dave
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Monday Night Football in background.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
The Electrician

Last night watching a segment on TCM with scenes from horror movies playing "Little Red Riding Hood" by Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs.
I enjoyed it.
Now it's stuck!
Gonna have to replace it with something else in my head later. :oops:
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Electrician wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 am Last night watching a segment on TCM with scenes from horror movies playing "Little Red Riding Hood" by Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs.
I enjoyed it.
Now it's stuck!
Gonna have to replace it with something else in my head later. :oops:
I suggest Wooly Bully :D That’s another great song.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

Meet me in the Woods by Lord Huron, kind of folksy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5axbaGBVto

Goodbye Horses, anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Van Halen

So may songs that make me smile

RIP Eddie
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Watched The Accountant the other night and now I'm "hooked" on this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSgnC5e ... rt_radio=1
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

heartwood wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:54 pm Van Halen

So may songs that make me smile

RIP Eddie
And Johnny Nash (of I Can See Clearly Now fame) also passed away today.

RIP to both.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

GTA 5 flying music (Tangerine Dream):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KCxjaZ1CA

Such a good game. Song sounds great with a decent subwoofer.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Strange Days by the doors. Man, this song could of come out today. :shock:
texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog »

5150 in honor of Eddie Van Halen - RIP
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

There's certain events in my life, defining moments in music when you first heard an album and it's a masterpiece of newness cranked up on a the parent's turntable through a tube amplifier with good ole 70s speakers (when they weren't home). Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin 1, Boston's 1st album, and last but not least, February 1978, Van Halen 1's Erruption. Erruption, guitar sounds which had never been heard before, RIP EVH, your music lives on, and I'm listening to that now.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Gimme Some Truth (Deluxe Edition) — John Lennon, released today on (what would’ve been) his 80th birthday, on Apple Music.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Two albums, Blueprint and Jinx by Rory Gallagher. I've listened to a fair amount of blues (primarily American and British) but never knew about this Irishman bluesman -- my loss, glad I found him!
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Traffic Dear MR. Fantasy
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Greg Brown, Dream Cafe.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds. Retired 9/19. Still working on mortgage payoff.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Who Sell Out — The Who
Thales

Post by Thales »

John Lennon Imagine and Paul Simons Stranger to Stranger.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

80s music while testing out my new Apple AirPod Pros.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Tommy — The Who
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Today I'm listening to 4 CDs worth of 60ties hits, and 6 CDs worth of 70ties hits.

Those years, middle 60ties thru late 70ties represents the period of time where I sometimes like to escape. Even better if DW is out (like now) and I can crank things up a bit! :D

I enjoy the music, but sometimes it does make me a little melancholy.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’m a Man — The Spencer Davis Group
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 pm The Who Sell Out — The Who
One of my favorite albums. I have a fondness for many of the releases around that 1967 time period. Axis: Bold as Love. Disraeli Gears. Truth.
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

Listening to Fela. His song Shakara is fire 🔥
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Listening to a few songs from "The Outfield".........was saddened to hear the sudden passing of Tony Lewis....... One of our small local grocery stores in the area plays oldies and every once in awhile when I'm in I hear one of my favorite........"Your Love"......