Sprint service?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cookiegirl

Sprint service?

Post by Cookiegirl » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi everyone:

My husband and I have been with AT&T for many many many years - I am looking now for a new phone and Sprint has a good offer for folks that are over 55 -
I'm so familiar with AT& T I was hoping for some feedback about Sprint before I sign up for a two year plan -
Any issues? positive? negative?
We are located in Westchester County, New York
Thanks for your advice...

Helene

Jags4186

Re: Sprint service?

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:03 pm

Cookiegirl wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:01 pm
Hi everyone:

My husband and I have been with AT&T for many many many years - I am looking now for a new phone and Sprint has a good offer for folks that are over 55 -
I'm so familiar with AT& T I was hoping for some feedback about Sprint before I sign up for a two year plan -
Any issues? positive? negative?
We are located in Westchester County, New York
Thanks for your advice...

Helene
Sprint is slow and unreliable. They are being bought by T-Mobile so combined that may improve things but I would not rush to sign up with them if super reliable and fast coverage is what you need or desire.

Topic Author
Cookiegirl

Post by Cookiegirl » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Thank you.... appreciate it.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Been on Sprint for 4 years, zero issues in the Phoenix area.

scophreak

Post by scophreak » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Had Sprint from Jan 2000 through Nov 2019. Can't say that I would characterize it as "slow". With all carriers, service level is heavily dependent on your individual location. In my case, I had Sprint in Nashville, Boston, and outside of Philadelphia. I found them all acceptable, though I did have a booster within my home. My plan included all roaming and that occurred on Verizon towers. Additionally, I found international options to be superior to friends that had AT&T ($20/week in Europe and $5/month in Japan).

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:40 pm

I have sprint in Minnesota. In my opinion once you get out of cities and into the sticks (like most of Iowa) your coverage is non-existent.

gac1979

Post by gac1979 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:41 pm

I’ve had sprint for many years and am happy. However, all cell coverage is location dependent. Plug your location into the sprint coverage map for a guesstimate of how it would be for you.

https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:45 pm

If you stay in a large metro area, you will be fine.

If you venture out off the interstates or in rural areas, you will not be fine.

Stick with AT&T or Verizon. Many good options with MVNO for both. Here are a couple:

Cricket Wireless (AT&T)
Total Wireless (Verizon)
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

shm317

Post by shm317 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:01 pm

Check the coverage in your area, but i believe T-Mobile also has a competitive offering for age >55

songman52

Post by songman52 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:12 am

I switched to Twigby about eight months ago. Twigby uses mostly Sprint network. I've traveled about 300 miles several times, from east parts of Texas into the Hill Country, and never had a problem with service. Finally switched my spouse's phone over as well. We had been with Verizon for 20+ years and were cautious about switching. Now paying about $35 a month total instead of well over $100. YMMV.

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:26 am

I would switch to Verizon prepaid. This is $35/month autopay and no credit check is required. They will FedEx a sim card to you if you have an unlocked phone and you can port an existing phone number over. We just signed up for this and works like a charm...no complaints. We are using an iphone 6 unlocked which was purchased from eBay. This was extremely easy and we accomplished this online without ever having to go to a store. Had a very dissimilar experience with Sprint who we were with for 10 years (you will need to do a credit check with Sprint for their best plans).

Link to the Verizon prepaid plans is below. The 6GB plan at $35/month is way more data than we'll ever use on the phone.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/?intcmp=vzwdom

Good luck to you.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:24 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:23 pm
Been on Sprint for 4 years, zero issues in the Phoenix area.
I travel around the Phoenix metro area as part of my work. There are definitely some areas where Sprint is less than stellar. Some ones that come immediately to mind are along Baseline Road between Central and 7th St in Phoenix and in Chandler near Dobson and Frye. Both areas are horrible, next to to unusable for data outside and unusable inside. My work phone is from Verizon and works great in both of these areas.

Qprkid

Post by Qprkid » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:23 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:45 pm
If you stay in a large metro area, you will be fine.

If you venture out off the interstates or in rural areas, you will not be fine.

Stick with AT&T or Verizon. Many good options with MVNO for both. Here are a couple:

Cricket Wireless (AT&T)
Total Wireless (Verizon)
+1.

I jumped on Sprint’s free iPhone 11 deal right after the holidays and switched four phones from VZW to Sprint.

:oops: :oops:

We are now in the final steps of switching two of the phones BACK to VZW under Sprint’s 30-Day Satisfaction guarantee.

Two of the phones are used in larger metropolitan areas where my kids live and coverage is fine. The other two (mine and DW’s) get zero to little coverage in the rural NC area in which we live.

Stick with VZW or ATT (Especially if you travel) and try to upgrade with their BOGO offers.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:46 pm

My friend uses Sprint and talking to him on the phone is a pain because the quality of his voice is terrible.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:26 am

Sprint in central & north Jersey is not good at all. Talk, text, & data problems.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:02 am

you may want to update your first post on what exactly you use your phones for to get more meaningful feedback.

Meaning....do you use a lot of 'data' on your phone? (apps and internet) texting? or just calling people?

Data is a primary cost driver these days

I had Sprint for years...the last few years before I left the rural service became very very poor, I don't know what changed but it was pretty bad.

So, if your phone needs are pretty basic, I'd seriously look at Verizon pre-paid. You can buy an average phone outright for $100ish and go month to month....for pretty low cost, even moreso if you do not use huge amounts of 'data'.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/prepaid/

wander

Post by wander » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:01 am

It's all about location. You may have to experience for yourself. If your house is near a cell tower, then you are good with any carrier that owns that tower. If you have a Sprint service that gives you free roaming, then it will use other carrier when Sprint is not available.
Personally, I use pre-paid Verizon simply it is the best in my area and gives me better coverage when I travel. It is no longer true as you may travel to different location. Even in a same city, sometimes, the coverage is spotty too. Carrier's maps give you general idea, but buildings, trees ... are also factors that contribute to good solid cell signal. Sprint coverage is horrible in my area so when they offered a free deals, I didn't even bother thinking about switching. It was a waste of time for me.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:00 am

You know what the amazing part about people and the phones/carriers they use. Whichever one they are on, they will say is superior to all others. Not to mention, whatever plan they had when they were younger is typically the plan they have currently.

Ive had att, verizon, sprint...and off carrier brands which simply piggy back on the big 3 networks, google fi and straight talk. Ive lived in major metro areas and easy bumble country (which I currently live.) All of them seem to work equally as well. I currently have google fi, wich is sprint, t mobile and us cellular. Rarely have any issues. And the issues I do have (dead zones,) att/verizon have the identical issues too.

Just more proof how easily consumers are manipulated through commercials/advertising. Its fascinating really.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:21 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:00 am
You know what the amazing part about people and the phones/carriers they use. Whichever one they are on, they will say is superior to all others. Not to mention, whatever plan they had when they were younger is typically the plan they have currently.

Ive had att, verizon, sprint...and off carrier brands which simply piggy back on the big 3 networks, google fi and straight talk. Ive lived in major metro areas and easy bumble country (which I currently live.) All of them seem to work equally as well. I currently have google fi, wich is sprint, t mobile and us cellular. Rarely have any issues. And the issues I do have (dead zones,) att/verizon have the identical issues too.

Just more proof how easily consumers are manipulated through commercials/advertising. Its fascinating really.
You are doing the same thing. "They all work for me, they will all work for you." Just pick the one you want.

I stand by avoiding Sprint and T-Mobile unless you know you will stay in a major metro area or along the interstates. Never fun being the exception.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Had Sprint for 7 years, no complaints other than you can't use data while you are on a call (they may be solving this as they deploy nationwide LTE, but I can't vouch for it.

Traveled many times to Westchester County and I don't recall having any issues with coverage.

Now with ATT and I have not noticed any improvements to justify a higher price (company pays).