Virgin Mobile is now Boost Mobile

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rob5TCP

Virgin Mobile is now Boost Mobile

Post by Rob5TCP » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:47 pm

For anyone who uses Virgin Mobile (which I do); they will be converted to Boost Mobile within
the next few weeks. Whatever plan your on, will be the same at Boost Mobile (at least for now).

SlowMovingInvestor

Re: Virgin Mobile is now Boost Mobile

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:57 pm

I think that's just a branding change -- both are Sprint owned.

I remember Virgin used to have an IVR with NO supported way to get a human agent, you had to read the internet to get some magic combination of keys that would get you a human. Terrible web site too.

LK2012

Post by LK2012 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:41 pm

Yes, I got the email, although it didn't say exactly when yet. I have an ancient Minute-2-Minute plan (25 cents for the first 10 minutes, then 10 cents a minute) that just requires a $20 Top Up every 90 days. The email says that Boost doesn't do the 45/90 day Top Ups, but when I went to "More Info," it sounds confusing. I guess I need to call them, but really don't want the hassle. But I have $100+ still on the phone, so I don't want to lose that, but I don't want a monthly fee either. Ugh.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:15 pm

I have an old Virgin Mobile plan, with which I pay $20 every 3 months. The email about the change to Boost Mobile states that they will preserve monthly plans. It's not clear if my plan will remain. It would a shame to lose my plan, especially because I have a nice balance on it.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:57 am

They're setting things up for the merger. The new company likely doesn't want a ton of prepaid brands (at least 1st party ones), they're paying a licensing fee for the name, and it's probably part of the Boost spin-off deal with Dish.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:03 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:15 pm
I have an old Virgin Mobile plan, with which I pay $20 every 3 months. The email about the change to Boost Mobile states that they will preserve monthly plans. It's not clear if my plan will remain. It would a shame to lose my plan, especially because I have a nice balance on it.

Victoria
Two days ago, I have successfully topped up my account with $20 + tax, which is supposed to be good for 3 months.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:57 pm

I was a long time Virgin Mobile $20/90-day plan user and it worked out very well. It was my first cell phone, and that was a year before iPhone came out. It seemed crazy what people had to pay at the time ($60/month?) just to use a "smart phone". The service seemed to have gotten worse when VMobl USA was separated from the Virgin Group, but I was happy with my nifty little flip phone, the low price and how the unused "credit" from the $20/90-day got rolled into the future, and was planning to keep the phone/plan as long as the company kept the plan going.

A few years ago I had to find a different phone carrier due to lack of Sprint cell coverage, and I ended up with a "smart phone" on a Tracfone plan that is a hair less than $20/90-day and that provides 180minutes/180texts/180MB data, the unused portion also rolls into the future with no limit (so far; of course that might change). Not saying Tracfone is the best thing - their customer service seems to be a bit worse than Virgin Mobile's, and my plan still uses 3G and data connectivity is sometimes iffy. It's just that one might end up with something even better if one has to make a change.

I also had several hundred $ of credit with vmobl near the end, and used it up by lending the phone to someone with a long hospital/rehab stay whenever I visited so she could make calls overseas (at least at the time, calls to half a world away were charged at the same rate as within-U.S. calls - 25c/min for the first 10 minutes each day, 10c/min thereafter. Kudos to Virgin Mobile!).

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:02 pm

There hasn't been a difference between Virgin and Boost Mobile for years. Same back-end Sprint system handles both nether are real "companies" it's just a brand name.

This is merger cleanup activity.

yellowduck94

Post by yellowduck94 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:13 am

Probably won't be a big deal for most people. Both are Sprint MVNOs, so your service shouldn't change.

Virgin Mobile used to be my wireless carrier, but the coverage as spotty. Ending up switching to Verizon without having to pay more every month.