travel from the U.S. to Europe given geo-political tensions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gips

travel from the U.S. to Europe given geo-political tensions?

Post by gips » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:39 pm

I've always ignored the chance of a terrorist attack when traveling as a very low probability event. We're starting to consider winter travel to europe and I'm sure we'll be easy to identify as Americans. I don't believe we have cause for concern but thought to see if middle east tensions have given anyone pause to travel outside the U.S?

best,

HawkeyePierce

Re: travel from the U.S. to Europe given geo-political tensions?

Post by HawkeyePierce » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:45 pm

Doesn't concern me.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:50 pm

Europe's a big place. Even Paris is a big place. The odds of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time are infinitesimal.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:50 pm

I would avoid France at all costs.

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:20 pm

Pacific wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:50 pm
Wait, what?

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 pm

happyisland wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:20 pm
Pacific wrote:
Wait, what?
Maybe referring to the ongoing strikes and protests about raising the retirement age.

Wouldn’t keep me away, but it would make me put in some buffer for train disruptions.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 pm

gips wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:39 pm
I'm sure we'll be easy to identify as Americans
How so?
On another note, always look up the State Dept travel advisory if you are really concerned.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... ries.html/

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:35 pm

gips wrote:
I've always ignored the chance of a terrorist attack when traveling as a very low probability event. We're starting to consider winter travel to europe and I'm sure we'll be easy to identify as Americans. I don't believe we have cause for concern but thought to see if middle east tensions have given anyone pause to travel outside the U.S?

best,
Unfortunately, this is something we all have to live with but it's really not new. You have to live a full life. The first time I was in the UK in the 1970's, there were coordinated IRA attacks. I was in NYC the week before 9/11, back in London shortly after the 3/3 attacks, and was in Christchurch just before the massive earthquake. You can't anticipate these things--you need to lead a full life and just accept the unpredictable nature of traveling.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm

I'm going to Europe in February. I'll be sure to let you know if I am killed.

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:39 pm

I wouldn't worry about Europe. I was already a little concerned about Turkey and would be a little more so. I would definitely avoid Iran and Iraq, but I would have anyway. I'd probably be more concerned than I would have been about spending time in the Middle East. I guess I'm saying that the current situation has increased my concerns, but not dramatically and mostly focused on places near Iran or where Iranian operatives would be most likely to operate.

I also plan to avoid the Superbowl. Well, unless someone gives me free tickets.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:46 pm

If you’re at all concerned about being targeted as an American, you should leave the US: That’s the easiest place for terrorists to find Americans.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:49 pm

The only place I've been attacked by terrorists was in New York City at the World Trade Center. It didn't stop me for working in Manhattan for 8 years.
De gustibus non est disputandum

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:53 pm

EddyB wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:46 pm
If you’re at all concerned about being targeted as an American, you should leave the US: That’s the easiest place for terrorists to find Americans.
I'm worried about Americans killing me in the USA. I'd pop over to Europe if I could.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:07 pm

I’m planning on spending the entire spring traveling in Europe. Current events have done nothing to change that. I would guess that Europe is at least as safe as the US, arguably safer.

Nearly all of us are more at risk from bad diets and car accidents than anything related to the current geopolitical situation.

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:21 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:07 pm
Nearly all of us are more at risk from bad diets and car accidents than anything related to the current geopolitical situation.
+1

Absolutely. Selective squeamishness is rampant.

sg2060

Post by sg2060 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:00 pm

Go. You’re extremely safe as long as you’re smart (i.e. don’t tour a ghetto in Paris or Malmo, Sweden, which you wouldn’t do because their governments at least had the foresight to not build them in the middle of cities.)

I never mind conversing with locals about a variety of topics. They are generally interested in the U.S. and usually are more willing to engage in courteous political discourse than occurs here in the States. Just go and don’t worry about your citizenship. If anything, be prideful of it and how it has helped Europe generally remain free.

Dick D

Post by Dick D » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:20 pm

I am more aware of more mass shootings occurring in the US rather than Europe so I think your fears are misplaced.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:47 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 pm
gips wrote:
How so?
Oh, I don't know. Do you:
1) proudly drape yourself in north face or under armour?
2) wear white athletic socks?
3) wear your best palace touring running shoes?
4) wear accomplishment/event/place t-shirts?
5) lean on things?
6) wear shorts on a 76 degree day?

:sharebeer

ofckrupke

Post by ofckrupke » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:00 am

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:47 pm
7) inquire about M1 Abrams availability for hire at the euroHertz desk?

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:12 am

gtd98765 wrote:
The odds of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time are infinitesimal.
A bit more than infinitesimal. This is not meant to freak you out but to show you how close you can be to an event.

In 2017 we made a trip to England, France, and Belgium and had these close calls.

1)(May 22) We landed in Manchester the morning after a bombing there killed almost 2 dozen people and injured over a hundred people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Arena_bombing

Our plane landed maybe 14 hours after the bombing and we had no clue about it when we caught a train from the airport to York. The only thing unusual was that some trains were being rerouted. The first we heard of it was when we were talking with with a young woman on the train who had been at the arena when the bomb went off. She had not slept at all and was still pretty shaken up.

2) (June 3) About a week later we were in London and walked across London Bridge to see the view. We then headed off to Paris and a day or so later there was a big incident on London Bridge where someone rammed a crowd and killed and knifed a number of people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_London_Bridge_attack

3) (June 17) It was not terrorism but about two weeks after we left London there was a massive high rise apartment building that burned and killed 72 people that made worldwide news. That was maybe a ten minute walk from our hotel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

4)(June 19) Had a good time in Paris and of course went down the Champs-Élysées while seeing the sights. We left for Belgium and a few days later there there was a car attack with bombs on the Champs-Élysées

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2017 ... ing_attack

5) (June 20) We took a train to Belgium where we went through in Brussels to go to Bruge, we then returned to Brussels to catch our flight home few days later. I think that it was while we were in Bruge that there was a small bombing attempt at the Brussels train station where only the bomber was killed. The reason was that security at the train station was really tight because there had be a big bombing there the prior year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2017_Brussels_attack

Except for Manchester we had the good luck to be at each of the locations a few days before the attacks but that was still a bit unnerving to see places on the news that you had just been at.

One thing to note is that none of these were targeting Americans, they were attacks on Europeans. Unless you are at some place like a US Embassy or military base it is very unlikely that a terrorist would try to pick you out of a crowd just because you are an American.

We always avoid things like American bars and sports events but we never went to those anyway. We also tend to stay in small local hotels and avoid the large American chains but that is just because we prefer those.

I'm not really sure what to tell you, even though we had so many close calls we will likely be going back to Europe sometime this year. Weird stuff can happen anywhere and some locations in American could be more attractive targets than american tourists in Europe. (American tourists in some place like Egypt might be a bit more of a concern, but that is nothing new.)

Realistically even with an elevated threat you are a lot more likely to be killed in a car accident while traveling than by a terrorist.

I am not particularly concerned but one other thing to keep your eye on is Brexit. If that happens there could be things like delays in catching a connecting flight in London.

Footnote: This last spring we went to Australia and it is now burning and we are seeing places in the news that we were at less than a year ago. :oops I would imagine that there are tourists in Australia right now that chose to go here because because they thought it would be safer than Europe.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:18 am

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:47 pm
tenkuky wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 pm
gips wrote:
How so?
1) proudly drape yourself in north face or under armour?
2) wear white athletic socks?
3) wear your best palace touring running shoes?
4) wear accomplishment/event/place t-shirts?
5) lean on things?
6) wear shorts on a 76 degree day?

:sharebeer
7) Wear a Canadian flag on your backpack :D
8) Open your mouth and talk.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:23 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:53 pm
EddyB wrote:
I'm worried about Americans killing me in the USA. I'd pop over to Europe if I could.
Maybe it is time to move elsewhere in the US. I can't remember the last time I heard about a murder on the local news or paper.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 am

gips wrote:

best,
No.

You're fine.

You're more likely to have a bidet mishap.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:03 am

MindBogler wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:23 am
livesoft wrote:
EddyB wrote:
Maybe it is time to move elsewhere in the US. I can't remember the last time I heard about a murder on the local news or paper.
Could be. If he moved to upper New England, Minnesota, or South Dakota, the homicide rate would be almost as low as in France. But the winters are tough.

bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:18 am

I am planning a trip for fall 2020. This thread is going to push me to do a little more research into travel interruption insurance, just in case i have to cancel or reroute due to an incident, but I am not particularly worried. Brexit travel interruptions would be the biggest concern.

you are way more likely to get injured in traffic accident on an american road trip than the tiny chance of a terrorist incident anywhere.
I did have a friend who got into a bicycle accident in Amsterdam and the local health care providers were great to deal with.

I would stay out of Turkey, Ukraine, and Russia, but would have no issues with western Europe, beyond Brexit.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:50 am

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm
I'm going to Europe in February. I'll be sure to let you know if I am killed.
Thanks. Please send a full post-mortem.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:39 am

There’s a book called, IIRC, World’s Most Dangerous Places. The gist is that it’s written for journalists and aid workers who actually have to go to those places. The most interesting thing I found out from the book was that the most dangerous thing in most of the dangerous places was traffic accidents while riding in the unregulated mini buses.

Anyway, no place in Europe made the cut for listing in the book.

DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:17 am

I have been living in eastern Europe for the past 5+ years, with a one-year sojourn in Iraq during that time. I haven't felt unsafe in either place. Being American overseas is not necessarily a bad thing. Not everyone hates us. I've been in several places with ongoing, nearby "security incidents" and have always been fine. I have my whole family with me, including small kids going to local schools. Not a problem. Take your trip, enjoy it, and just try not to be the "ugly American." Check travel.state.gov before going for any travel warnings for your destination. Don't let the media scare you aware from living your life.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain

Stef

Post by Stef » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 am

Don't go. Europe is more dangerous than a gang district in Rio, more dangerous than Iraq.

I know, I live in Switzerland. It's about survival everyday.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:46 am

DiploInvestor wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:17 am
I have been living in eastern Europe for the past 5+ years, with a one-year sojourn in Iraq during that time. I haven't felt unsafe in either place. Being American overseas is not necessarily a bad thing. Not everyone hates us. I've been in several places with ongoing, nearby "security incidents" and have always been fine. I have my whole family with me, including small kids going to local schools. Not a problem. Take your trip, enjoy it, and just try not to be the "ugly American." Check travel.state.gov before going for any travel warnings for your destination. Don't let the media scare you aware from living your life.

This is a good reminder that "geo-political tensions" are at the 10,000 ft level and for the average person on the street we are just living our lives.

snowox

Post by snowox » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:51 am

I wouldnt not go but I would just pay attention to the travel advisories and just be as smart about things as you can.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:05 am

livesoft wrote:
EddyB wrote:
Are you implying that higher probability events with less news coverage might be more of a concern than very low probability, saturation coverage, events? Next you'll be talking about actual facts and availability biases https://whatis.techtarget.com/definitio ... ility-bias.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:23 am

Stef wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 am
Don't go. Europe is more dangerous than a gang district in Rio, more dangerous than Iraq.

Terribly sorry to hear this. We are preparing a massive airlift of our excellent politicians to help you make this right! Please feel free to keep them until all of your difficulties are completely resolved.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:25 am

eucalyptus wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:23 am
Stef wrote:

Terribly sorry to hear this. We are preparing a massive airlift of our excellent politicians to help you make this right! Please feel free to keep them until all of your difficulties are completely resolved.
Attack of the cuckoo-clocks and a complete cheese meltdown :twisted:

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:29 am

Everyone is always trashing the US and crime. The truth is if you just stay out of high risk places, such as church, school, and Walmart you’re incredibly safe.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:39 am

Europe is a large area, silly question IMO...leaving today for Spain :D

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:41 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:29 am
Everyone is always trashing the US and crime. The truth is if you just stay out of high risk places, such as church, school, and Walmart you’re incredibly safe.
Exactly - well done!
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:41 am

duplicate

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:43 am

If you are overweight, talking loudly in English, looking at maps on the street with a confused look on your face, and carrying a lot of camera equipment, then pickpockets might possibly pick you out as tourists and lighten your wallet.

Nothing to do with geopolitical tension. Theft happens, be aware.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:43 am

7 murders the first 2 days of 2020 in St. Louis.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:44 am

Stef wrote:

The price of curry wurst alone leads people to desperate acts just to feed themselves.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:57 am

The World Economic Forum - international statistic of the year (2018):
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/ ... e-year-is/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides more context:
"Leading causes of injury death for US citizens in foreign countries, 2015 & 2016"
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook ... and-trauma

junior

Post by junior » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 am

gips wrote:

best,
Europe is very safe, probably safer than the U.S. But if you are really concerned can't you just buy shirts or hats with the Canadian flag on them and tell people you are Canadian?

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 am

Jeff Albertson wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:57 am
The World Economic Forum - international statistic of the year (2018):
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/ ... e-year-is/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides more context:
"Leading causes of injury death for US citizens in foreign countries, 2015 & 2016"
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook ... and-trauma
Yes, of all the things you should be concerned about in life from a personal safety standpoint, terrorism in the U.S. and Western Europe are so far down the list they shouldn't even register. You are probably more likely to choke to death on a baguette in Paris than killed by a terrorist there.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 am

junior wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 am
gips wrote:

best,
Europe is very safe, probably safer than the U.S. But if you are really concerned can't you just buy shirts or hats with the Canadian flag on them and tell people you are Canadian?
You might run into an actual Canadian. That would be rather embarrassing.

junior

Post by junior » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 am

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 am

But a bit of embarrassment is better than the terrorists getting you, right? :D

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:25 am

junior wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 am
alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 am

But a bit of embarrassment is better than the terrorists getting you, right? :D
Oh, I forgot about the terrorist immunity cloak issued to every Canadian at birth along with their complimentary bottle of maple syrup :oops:

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:11 am

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:43 am
If you are overweight, talking loudly in English, looking at maps on the street with a confused look on your face, and carrying a lot of camera equipment, then pickpockets might possibly pick you out as tourists and lighten your wallet.

Nothing to do with geopolitical tension. Theft happens, be aware.
You don't even need that sometimes. I am fit and unassuming. Was dressed like a European. Standing outside Almeida theater in London after the play (The Hunt - highly highly recommend). Very nice area. A biker comes from no where and snatches a phone from my hands and takes off. Not because I was American, it's because I was acting like a seating duck.

pj1983

Post by pj1983 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:19 am

EddyB wrote:
The ghost of Willie Sutton approves of this logic. :D

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:25 am

Your statistics forgot to include annual American deaths caused by deer: 130

Don't mess with Bambi. Deer are the deadliest animals in the US. They kill more Americans than terrorists or armed toddlers.

It's probably a bad year to visit Iraq or Iran, but Europe is probably fine. You have to stay alert anywhere.