Used Mercedes GLE or new lease Acura

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Paralemo

Used Mercedes GLE or new lease Acura

Post by Paralemo »

Hello all and Happy New Year!

I hope I'm posting this in the right section - looking for some car advice.

Our lease is up and we enjoyed our Acura RDX so we would be open to leasing a new one. But at the same time, I'm seriously considering buying a used car to save money in the long run.

I noticed that a 2016 Mercedes GLE costs about 20-30% more than a 2016 Acura RDX, and I love that car. My concern is that I've heard that maintenance can be super expensive.

We've always leased so haven't had to deal with maintenance issues really.. and I'm afraid that jumping into a car that's notorious for expensive maintenance would be a mistake.

An alternative would be a certified Acura or Infinity that both come with excellent warranties. But Mercedes certified is almost not worth the extra cost (just 1 year warranty versus several for Acura/Infinity).

I also thought of buying the GLE and looking for a solid extended warranty package? I've heard these exist and are sold separately.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Thank you all.
Jack FFR1846

Re: Used Mercedes GLE or new lease Acura

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

A backdoor way to see how much expected service is going to cost is to compare same time/mile/deductible extended warranty costs. If one costs twice the other, it tells you that the insuring company has figured out that it's twice as expensive to keep in good repair. Also, of course, avoid aftermarket warranties as these companies are famous for going out of business to avoid paying out.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

How about just buying the RDX that you are now driving? Lease buyout look ok? If it has been a good car and has had all the maintence why not? I have had many friends that have bought Acura and they tell me they are very reliable and the costs to take care of them are fair. To me owning any German car that is out of warranty is like throwing dice at the MGM...lots of glitter and glamour but at some point you are going to walk back up to your room broke.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

I'm not a fan of leases but if I wanted to spend around $30k my preferences would look like this.

#1 CPO Infiniti QX60, Lexus RX350, Mazda CX-9, etc. You could get just a year or two old CX-9 loaded for that price.
#2 Lease RDX (In that gorgeous blue).
#2360 Buy the GLE

I own a BMW and it's know as a reliable BMW but if I planned on keeping it over 3-4 years, I wouldn't have bought a BMW or any other German vehicle.
ZMonet

Post by ZMonet »

Buy a used (2017 - newest body style) RDX or MDX with under 50,000 miles so that it qualifies for an extended Acura warranty. You should be able to buy an extended warranty out to 105,000 miles/5 years for around $2400 or so. The peace of mind might be worth it to you -- or maybe not. Understand that you can get the Acura warranty from any Acura dealership. There are a number of Acura dealerships online (do a Google search) where you can get a significant discount.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

My wife had a 2013 RDX (first year redesign). We loved the car and it was bulletproof. With that said, I would not buy a 2013-2018 RDX if you care at all about technology in your car, which now seems very dated compared to the 2019+ RDX.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Paralemo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:26 am I also thought of buying the GLE and looking for a solid extended warranty package? I've heard these exist and are sold separately.
The only extended warranty that should be considered is the manufacturer's extended warranty.

The third party warranties are almost always a bad choice because it is so hard to get them to pay and they will try to do minimal work possible. Third party warranty companies have also gone out of business and the warranty will become worthless if that happens.

It varies a bit but most cars have a 5 years/60k mile powertrain warranty which will cover most big repairs so many extended warranties don't cover a lot until that runs out.
Paralemo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:26 am But at the same time, I'm seriously considering buying a used car to save money in the long run.
My basic car owning strategy is to buy new cars with a very good reputation for reliability and keep them them for ten years, I then sell them even if they are not having issues. I typically buy Hondas and Toyotas and unless I get unlucky I should have little or no nonroutine maintenance.

A one owner, well maintained, never wrecked ten year old Honda or Toyota with reasonable mileage will sell for a surprisingly good price which makes doing this more reasonable. The high resale price also makes buying a used one less attractive to me.

That is not the cheapest way to own a car but over the ten years it gives me a very reasonable yearly cost of ownership and a very reliable car.

I didn't double check the reliability ratings but with the Acura I would think you could expect to have very little if any nonroutine maintenance in the first 10 years or 100K miles.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

If buying used, watch out for massive failure on last 10 years or so of MB paint jobs (particularly the red color and likely some other colors as well). Google class action lawsuit against MB on paint failure. Starts with small white cloudy patches (bloom) appearing under the clear coat and it spreads. Only fix appears to be to repaint the entire car.
ohai

Post by ohai »

I don't think there is a way for you to offset the higher cost of the Mercedes. You will pay for the maintenance either directly or indirectly. Are you willing to spend an extra $20k or whatever over the next 5 years to drive a better car? That's up to you I guess.
bjames310

Post by bjames310 »

I got a good deal on a 2016 GLE earlier this year and think it’s a great car but the gas mileage is terrible 18-19 mpg). Also have a diesel ML 250 that gets 30 mpg, you might want to consider that as well.
sambb

Post by sambb »

The mercedes is great. life is short. go for it. Gotta spend on something, might as well be something you like and can afford.
Topic Author
Paralemo

Post by Paralemo »

Thank you all. This has been really helpful.

I feel like the safer/mature decision would be to opt for a CPO Infinity which checks all the boxes. But I wish I could somehow price out the Mercedes so that I can really make an educated decision.

For example, say I could find a certified Infinity QX60 for 25k. I'd feel that this would be more or less my cost outside of routine maintenance. Then on to the GLE - say I find one for 30k. If someone could tell me that it would cost me an extra 5k over the next 4-5yrs (which is how long we would keep it at most), then I could decide whether I prefer a QX60 for 25k or a GLE for 35k (with the 5k spread over time). That would be a toss for me - I might have still opted for the GLE cause I like it much more.

But the unknown scares me.. if the GLE is likely to cost an extra 5k.. but could easily cost 7.5k or 10k.. then that's not a risk I'd be willing to take. That's why I wanted to price out a warranty. A way for me to be proactive about covering my butt, even if it ends up being wasted (if the car never needs much).

One more note here is that we don't drive much... About 7k/year.

What do you think? Would the extended warranty from MB cover almost everything or is that mainly for the big items (ie. Engine) and wouldn't cover a bunch of other stuff that could add up (ie. Electronics of the car or whatever).

P.S. We got the RDX lease for a great deal so the payoff is ridiculous.. if it was a low payoff I would consider buying that and keeping it for a couple more years. Truth is we could use a slightly bigger car, but it's not necessary.