Recommended physical fitness websites/books/apps?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Compound

Re: Recommended physical fitness websites/books/apps?

Post by Compound »

cellisto wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:44 am
DiploInvestor wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:44 am
mgensler wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:47 pm Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe --- the NY Times did an article on basic barbell exercises a number of years ago. This was their recommendation. Simple and it works.
+1000

Rippetoe is the master and a no-BS dude. StartingStrength.com, and his books are: Starting Strength and Practical Programming for Strength Training. If you want weekly workouts you can follow delivered to your email box, check out Baker Barbell Club (Facebook site) by Rippetoe's protege, Andy Baker. Andy charges $27/mo and is a genius at barbell programming. At 50 I am lifting more than ever before following their philosophy (squatting and deadlifting in the 400s). YMMV.
^

I have used the basic 3x5 of the big 5 compound lifts 3 days a week for over 10 years now. I can honestly say it's been the best thing I've ever done for fitness in my life. Just having a foundation in strength has translated into anything I've ever needed to do be it biking, running, swimming, yoga, pilates, boxing, martial arts and more recently fencing. I winged one of those tough mudder obstacle course races with just the strength component. Although I'm not squatting like above poster in the 400's (currently hovering around 360lb 3x5, this fluctuates with how much I eat and if I am bulking or not, currently 190lb body weight) but it is amazing how strong you feel. Feel free to cross train as much as you like, but your base (your "fortress of solitude") should be the big 5 compound lifts. I have added accessory lifts to the big 5 such as weighted pullups/dips and farmers carries that are also excellent. I dropped 1k on a home gym and haven't looked back.
Would you please elaborate on what the “big 5 compound lifts” are?
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Compound wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:53 am
mgensler wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:47 pm Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe --- the NY Times did an article on basic barbell exercises a number of years ago. This was their recommendation. Simple and it works.
+1000

Rippetoe is the master and a no-BS dude. StartingStrength.com, and his books are: Starting Strength and Practical Programming for Strength Training. If you want weekly workouts you can follow delivered to your email box, check out Baker Barbell Club (Facebook site) by Rippetoe's protege, Andy Baker. Andy charges $27/mo and is a genius at barbell programming. At 50 I am lifting more than ever before following their philosophy (squatting and deadlifting in the 400s). YMMV.
^

I have used the basic 3x5 of the big 5 compound lifts 3 days a week for over 10 years now. I can honestly say it's been the best thing I've ever done for fitness in my life. Just having a foundation in strength has translated into anything I've ever needed to do be it biking, running, swimming, yoga, pilates, boxing, martial arts and more recently fencing. I winged one of those tough mudder obstacle course races with just the strength component. Although I'm not squatting like above poster in the 400's (currently hovering around 360lb 3x5, this fluctuates with how much I eat and if I am bulking or not, currently 190lb body weight) but it is amazing how strong you feel. Feel free to cross train as much as you like, but your base (your "fortress of solitude") should be the big 5 compound lifts. I have added accessory lifts to the big 5 such as weighted pullups/dips and farmers carries that are also excellent. I dropped 1k on a home gym and haven't looked back.
I'm not the person you asked, but they are the barbell lifts that use multiple muscle groups: deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press, and power clean. Some programs substitute barbell rows for power cleans, since they're easier for beginners.
23mako

Post by 23mako »

In the interest of not getting hurt with barbell exercises (depending on your strength/experience level) I would recommend the following routine. If you can do these bodyweight exercises in high volume and good form you will have some strength. There are ways to do pullups assisted if you cannot do them unassisted.

M,W, F:
100 pull ups in any set/rep count you like.

200 push ups/dips in any set/rep count you like.

300 situps/crunches in any set/rep count you like.

200 air squats touching palm of hand to the floor in any set/rep count you like.

200 lunges in in any set/rep count you like.

T, Th, Sat

Do some cardio. I recommend cycling high intensity and low intensity days. Look up tabata routine for a good high intensity routine.

Most of all watch what you eat.
Compound

Post by Compound »

Halicar wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:17 pm
+1000

^

I'm not the person you asked, but they are the barbell lifts that use multiple muscle groups: deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press, and power clean. Some programs substitute barbell rows for power cleans, since they're easier for beginners.
Thank you.

Is the idea that if you do those five exercises that you don’t need to do any others because those five cover all the muscle groups?
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Compound wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:48 pm

+1000

^

Thank you.

Is the idea that if you do those five exercises that you don’t need to do any others because those five cover all the muscle groups?
Basically yes, though people typically add some accessory lifts like curls, tricep extensions, etc.
ArmyInvestor

Post by ArmyInvestor »

I started my fitness resolution 3 months ago and stumbled upon an iOS app fitbod. The benefit is that you tell it your body profile/goals and what equipment you have access to and it gives you an appropriate workout that can be completed in the time you set. The recommended weights and reps adjust based on your input and progression. You can often get a 25% off code.

I am satisfied with it and am seeing results after 3 months, just need to make sure not to overwork your body.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

+1000

^

Thank you.

Dan John talks about the 5 basic human movements
1. Push
2. Pull
3. Hinge (deadlift)
4. Squat
5. Loaded carry (he says loaded carry is a game changer)
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

I use a few one is fitify stretching, great app free lets you set up how long and what part of the body you want to stretch.
The other i use a lot is tabata timer, its great for holding say yoga poses or any interval timed session. For example I have it set up 30 seconds hold then 5 seconds to transition then you can set how many segments ie 20 poses etc. Really useful.
Other then that runkeeper and strava are good for tracking running progress and how far you have run.
I wish strava was able to pick up- our erg data (rower)....
mojo88

Post by mojo88 »

Another vote for Starting Strength by Rippetoe. If you're over 40 I recommend reading The Barbell Prescription by Jonathan Sullivan, an associate of Rippetoe's.

I've been following Rippetoe's template for a couple of years now, eat sensibly and am very pleased with the results. I'm in the best shape of my life.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

+1000

^

Thank you.

Those 5 will make you strong if done correctly and with proper form, progression, rest, and nutrition. That said, you will probably want to do some accessory lifts to hit any weak points (e.g. curls are accessories for pullups and rows, dips are great for helping your overhead press, etc.). Don't go overboard on accessories, and do them after the main lifts. To prevent boredom, burnout, and overuse injuries you may want to cycle alternate styles of the main lifts: e.g.incline bench for flat bench, front squats for back squats, stiff leg and Romanian deadlifts for regular deads, overhead DB press for barbell press, etc.

Look up routines such as HLM (heavy, light, medium) for cycling loads, sets and reps. To begin, start with Rippetoe's novice linear progression (LNP). These routines are all out there and are tried and true. They've been making people stronger since barbells were invented, so there's no need to get fancy or look for shortcuts or the latest breakthrough or fad. Boglehead philosophy applied to strength training will take you far. :sharebeer
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
dm200

Post by dm200 »

CommitmentDevice wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:44 pm I want to improve my physical fitness and am looking for website/book/app recommendations. I'm basically looking to find the Bogleheads of physical fitness... simple advice rooted in best practices rather than trying to sell me things.
I have access to a small gym with basic equipment (weights/cardio machines/etc). My goal is to be able to walk in and have a weekly cadence of effective exercise routines. Thanks!
drmirkin.com

nutritionfacts.com

https://www.youngernextyear.com/
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

23mako wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:24 pm In the interest of not getting hurt with barbell exercises (depending on your strength/experience level) I would recommend the following routine. If you can do these bodyweight exercises in high volume and good form you will have some strength. There are ways to do pullups assisted if you cannot do them unassisted.

M,W, F:
100 pull ups in any set/rep count you like.

200 push ups/dips in any set/rep count you like.

300 situps/crunches in any set/rep count you like.

200 air squats touching palm of hand to the floor in any set/rep count you like.

200 lunges in in any set/rep count you like.

T, Th, Sat

Do some cardio. I recommend cycling high intensity and low intensity days. Look up tabata routine for a good high intensity routine.

Most of all watch what you eat.
You're going to plateau pretty fast unless you increase the load/intensity somehow. I'd recommend doing the MWF routine maybe once a week and trying to progressively improve your time. Maybe alternate pull/push Monday and Friday. There are a million ways to make progress, but you have to give your body a reason to change. Progressive overload; if you do the same thing (at the same load/intensity) over and over and over again, you are not forcing physiological adaptation.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JoinToday wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:30 pm
5. Loaded carry (he says loaded carry is a game changer)
Loaded carries are my single favorite movement, probably the single most functional strength movement and there are a million variations. Unfortunately, due to my thoracic outlet syndrome I can no longer do any form of loaded carries (or back/front squats, olympic movements, and have to be super careful with deadlifts).
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Halicar wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:17 pm I'm not the person you asked, but they are the barbell lifts that use multiple muscle groups: deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press, and power clean. Some programs substitute barbell rows for power cleans, since they're easier for beginners.
Thank you.

It's a good starting point. Those 5 compound lifts are the foundation that you can build your fitness program. You can change up frequency and intensity to help with your progress.

As you progress, you will learn to modify the program to achieve your goals. I believe your goals will change as you progress as well. Remember, when it comes to fitness, it's the journey that counts, not the finish line.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

You're going to plateau pretty fast unless you increase the load/intensity somehow. I'd recommend doing the MWF routine maybe once a week and trying to progressively improve your time. Maybe alternate pull/push Monday and Friday. There are a million ways to make progress, but you have to give your body a reason to change. Progressive overload; if you do the same thing (at the same load/intensity) over and over and over again, you are not forcing physiological adaptation.
While I have "fallen off the exercise wagon", I know I need to get back up on that wagon ASAP. My daily schedule changed quite a bit - and, while I do have the time almost every day, it is more of a challenge to fit exercise into that schedule.

The most credible things I read and believed suggest and recommend near daily exercise vs. every other day. They recommend heavy and light successive days as being "optimum" and more exercise being better than less.

They also recommend BOTH aerobic exercise AND strength exercise as both being very important for health.

I am very fortunate that our local jurisdiction has multiple community centers with excellent options/machines/etc. One has an indoor 1/8 mile track for walking or jogging. Although I have not used it yet, I also have a free gym membership at a chain - as part of my Medicare Advantage plan. This commercial gym does have slightly more hours and times - compared to the community gyms that are closed on holidays.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dm200 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:26 pm
While I have "fallen off the exercise wagon", I know I need to get back up on that wagon ASAP. My daily schedule changed quite a bit - and, while I do have the time almost every day, it is more of a challenge to fit exercise into that schedule.

The most credible things I read and believed suggest and recommend near daily exercise vs. every other day. They recommend heavy and light successive days as being "optimum" and more exercise being better than less.

They also recommend BOTH aerobic exercise AND strength exercise as both being very important for health.

I am very fortunate that our local jurisdiction has multiple community centers with excellent options/machines/etc. One has an indoor 1/8 mile track for walking or jogging. Although I have not used it yet, I also have a free gym membership at a chain - as part of my Medicare Advantage plan. This commercial gym does have slightly more hours and times - compared to the community gyms that are closed on holidays.
All depends on your goals. There is no ideal modality for everybody.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:00 am If you're going to do any kind of strength training, you need to get the form right. It's hard to do that from a book or video. It's worth the money to hire a personal trainer for a few weeks or months to instruct and critique you as you struggle to master each exercise. (Yes, I know that some will say hiring a personal trainer is a bit like hiring a financial advisor....)
It depends on the book. For example, Richard Hittleman's books on yoga are very detailed and well illustrated. I learned yoga poses better from his books than from a few yoga classes I tried.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
23mako

Post by 23mako »

[/quote]

[/quote]

For sure. Once you can do a workout similar to the one I listed you can add weight with dip belts, kettlebells, etc. Usually after I can do 15 strict bodyweight exercises I like to add weight to where I can do 3-5 sets of 5 reps and do it several times a week. Never really train to failure. But let's be real, most people cannot probably do 5 pull ups.
johnnyQA

Post by johnnyQA »

I've been using Drew Baye's Project Kratos high intensity bodyweight program (because I hate the gym - the commute, the bros, the music, the protein shakes, etc.).

Similar to Doug McGuff's training modality but with bodyweight exercises and a little more training frequency. Works as good as anything I've tried and no gym dues required.

https://drewbaye.myshopify.com/products ... atos-ebook
Compound

Post by Compound »

DiploInvestor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:18 am

^

Thank you.

Those 5 will make you strong if done correctly and with proper form, progression, rest, and nutrition. That said, you will probably want to do some accessory lifts to hit any weak points (e.g. curls are accessories for pullups and rows, dips are great for helping your overhead press, etc.). Don't go overboard on accessories, and do them after the main lifts. To prevent boredom, burnout, and overuse injuries you may want to cycle alternate styles of the main lifts: e.g.incline bench for flat bench, front squats for back squats, stiff leg and Romanian deadlifts for regular deads, overhead DB press for barbell press, etc.

Look up routines such as HLM (heavy, light, medium) for cycling loads, sets and reps. To begin, start with Rippetoe's novice linear progression (LNP). These routines are all out there and are tried and true. They've been making people stronger since barbells were invented, so there's no need to get fancy or look for shortcuts or the latest breakthrough or fad. Boglehead philosophy applied to strength training will take you far. :sharebeer
Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry. Your information was very helpful.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

It ain't rocket surgery, especially if you're just beginning.

You want to maintain muscle mass and stay strong as you age, so regularly lift heavy things. And you want to keep your heart and lungs healthy, so regularly do stuff that makes you breath hard

Starting Strength is good for beginning strength training. Rip's book is very good, but needlessly complicated for a novice. Just focus on the beginner's "linear progression" parts. Linear progression works for new lifters, but not forever. You steadily add small amounts of weight to the basic lifts, until you can't any longer.

(At that point, if you're still lifting regularly, diminishing returns will kick in, and linear progression stops working. Then, you either keep lifting the same weight, theoretically perpetually, or start "programming" your lifting sessions to continue smaller, slower gains. But for now, don't worry about this).

That's strength training. For cardio, any regular activity that gets your heart rate up for a desired block of time will be beneficial. Walking, bicycle, swimming, whatever you like and will keep doing. You don't need a book for that.

EDIT: I think that anyone who is serious and wants to make and keep gains will have to lift at least twice a week, and get some cardio at least three times a week.
Last edited by c.coyle on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTSAX - 50%, VBTLX - 50%
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Arnold Schwarzenegger’s hardcore bodybuilding book!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:33 pm Arnold Schwarzenegger’s hardcore bodybuilding book!
Not sure if your being serious. Bodybuilding is very different from strength training, even though they use the same equipment. Most of us don't have the genetics to look anything like Arnold in his prime, but all of us can get stronger and stay strong with some basic resistance training.

Not trying to start a dispute, just emphasizing that strength training and bodybuilding are two differnt things.
VTSAX - 50%, VBTLX - 50%
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

c.coyle wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:40 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:33 pm Arnold Schwarzenegger’s hardcore bodybuilding book!
Not sure if your being serious. Bodybuilding is very different from strength training, even though they use the same equipment. Most of us don't have the genetics to look anything like Arnold in his prime, but all of us can get stronger and stay strong with some basic resistance training.

Not trying to start a dispute, just emphasizing that strength training and bodybuilding are two differnt things.
I was joking! I actually have Arnold’s book. I agree.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:32 pm

Not trying to start a dispute, just emphasizing that strength training and bodybuilding are two different things.
Ya got me!

There's a lot of misinformation out there. Very few people can look like Arnold and me.
VTSAX - 50%, VBTLX - 50%
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

c.coyle wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:24 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:32 pm

Not trying to start a dispute, just emphasizing that strength training and bodybuilding are two different things.
Ya got me!

There's a lot of misinformation out there. Very few people can look like Arnold and me.
Do you bodybuild or powerlifting?
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

A forum such as ours will include a large number of fit people. It goes with the territory. Thus, responses to your question will be all over the spectrum, and will mostly be reasonable, valid, and helpful.

There is no one proper, best, or right path to fitness and strength. Also, you’re pretty young—you could do almost anything!

Personally, I fall into the group that recommends bodyweight exercises. This does not require much equipment or an app. There is so much info online these days.

My own workout has evolved over the decades. These days I do a 30 minute workout each morning, 6 days a week:

MWF—20 sets of 5 pull-ups = 100 reps total in 30 minutes

TThSat—20 sets of 5 pushups and 5 squats OR
20 sets of 5 burpees OR 5 hanging leg raises.

Planks are good, as are dumbbell exercises.

Then add Walking, jogging, cycling, spinning, swimming, jumping rope, mountain-climbers,etc., for cardio a few times a week.

By the time you’re my age (73), you’ll be in pretty good shape. 😎

The secret is to never quit. Therefore, keep the workout reasonable. Good luck.
Last edited by Jazztonight on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Pugs1351

Post by Pugs1351 »

I use the body coach hiit workouts on YouTube. Most are about 20 minutes long and most you don’t need any equipment. Go to YouTube and check him out. It’s free.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Find an activity that you enjoy, that also provides exercise. Walking/running/hiking with a podcast, hiking, tennis, etc. Working out just to workout gets boring, IMO.
I prefer surfing (although the waves aren't always good when I have the time), rock climbing (outdoors preferred, which includes hiking, but indoors is good too), hiking, etc. I don't enjoy biking, but ride an ebike daily to work to keep me out of my car.
Bodyweight stuff is great, as are simple apps like the 7-minute workout, or Tabata timer for a 4-min HIIT.
You can get some off-brand TRX style straps for $20-30 off amazon/ebay for a good variety of bodyweight exercises.

Without having a specific "goal" in mind, I find it hard to "train", which is why I say find something that is also enjoyable for you that will increase the likelihood that you will stick to it. Getting into a routine is good too. Same time everyday. Try and make it an automatic assumption that at such and such time on whatever day, its ___ workout time. All easier said than done of course.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I really like using machines in the gym that show time and calories expended. I know calories will not be completely accurate - but on the same machine, you can compare what you do over time - an see progress.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

For fact-based general knowledge about most fitness-related topics: https://exrx.net/. The information is extensive, if at times difficult to find.

For a book on what is arguably one of the most-balanced "sports" (alpine climibing) and how to train for it -- with excellent explanations of the science behind the methods: https://www.patagonia.com/product/train ... rt=1&sz=36. If you are more of the endurance type, then https://www.patagonia.com/product/train ... rt=1&sz=24 is also very good.

A more general fitness approach (if you ignore the sales pitch): https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/articl ... long-time/.

Make sure you know and understand what you really want to achieve. There are major differences between the different ways to train -- based upon what the intended result is. Bodybuilding and Powerlifting are quite different, as are 5K runs and Marathons, etc.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

GAAP wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:39 pm
A more general fitness approach (if you ignore the sales pitch): https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/articl ... long-time/.

Ha ha. I personally know Ben Greenfield. One of the most awkward humans ever, but in this context he is fairly knowledgeable...as long as you understand that everything he says/writes is slathered in marketing/sales pitch.
physiorol

Post by physiorol »

HASfit on youtube has easy and hard versions simultaneously

lesmillsondemand
praxis

Post by praxis »

Scooby has a ton of helpful workouts and health suggestions. He's hilarious and walks his talk.

https://scoobysworkshop.com/