San Juan-Puerto Rico in July Long weekend

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
akhilsam

San Juan-Puerto Rico in July Long weekend

Post by akhilsam » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:15 pm

All,

I wanted to ask if going to San Juan-Puerto Rico in July Long weekend is a bad idea?
The reason is we don't want to take school days off for kids 9 and 11 (already took some this year). When I google it says April to June is best time.
We don't mind 80+ temp.

Also I have some questions:

1) Is San Juan main Puerto Rico destination or any other driveable destinations or look for other airports and drive to San Juan?
2) Are 5 nights- 4 full days enough?
3) Do we need a car?
4) Besides hotel+flight what other expenses to expect?
5) Is Vegetarian food available?
6) Any suggestions for Accommodation?
7) What are main things to do -**besides beaches of course :)

Appreciate inputs! Thank you!

ironman

Re: San Juan-Puerto Rico in July Long weekend

Post by ironman » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Old San Juan is a fun time for the family. It will be hot, dress accordingly and pack sunscreen. Castillo San Felipe del Morro and Castillo de San Cristóbal are both worth visiting. There will be available shade to cool off at both locations. We walked between them, but you could take public transport or taxi. Check out the resident iguanas and take advantage of the many photo ops. In Old San Juan, the further you go south (downhill) towards the cruise ship port, the more touristy and less culturally interesting the scenery becomes.

Our favorite two experiences outside of San Juan are El Yunque (hike all the way to the top for great views) and taking the ferry to Culebra. You will likely need a car to access both. I would NOT want a car in Old San Juan. Rent a jeep or golf cart in Culebra to got of one of several beaches, the most popular being Playa Flamenco.

Food is primarily beans and rice with plantains, seafood, and pork. Rum is cheap and the local beer Medalla is reasonably good.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:32 pm

akhilsam wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:15 pm
All,
I wanted to ask if going to San Juan-Puerto Rico in July Long weekend is a bad idea?
The reason is we don't want to take school days off for kids 9 and 11 (already took some this year). When I google it says April to June is best time.
We don't mind 80+ temp.
1) Is San Juan main Puerto Rico destination or any other driveable destinations or look for other airports and drive to San Juan?
3) Do we need a car?
Why San Juan / Puerto Rico? Seems like quite an expense for just 4-5 days (long weekend)?

Do you know/speak Spanish? This was not a problem for us (we do not know/speak Spanish) since our one trip there was limited to the hotel/conference site. I would consider the Spanish language issue as more important if you get a car and travel very much.

Topic Author
akhilsam

Post by akhilsam » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:34 pm

ironman wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:28 pm
Old San Juan is a fun time for the family. It will be hot, dress accordingly and pack sunscreen. Castillo San Felipe del Morro and Castillo de San Cristóbal are both worth visiting. There will be available shade to cool off at both locations. We walked between them, but you could take public transport or taxi. Check out the resident iguanas and take advantage of the many photo ops. In Old San Juan, the further you go south (downhill) towards the cruise ship port, the more touristy and less culturally interesting the scenery becomes.

Our favorite two experiences outside of San Juan are El Yunque (hike all the way to the top for great views) and taking the ferry to Culebra. You will likely need a car to access both. I would NOT want a car in Old San Juan. Rent a jeep or golf cart in Culebra to got of one of several beaches, the most popular being Playa Flamenco.

Food is primarily beans and rice with plantains, seafood, and pork. Rum is cheap and the local beer Medalla is reasonably good.
Thanks a lot!

Topic Author
akhilsam

Post by akhilsam » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:37 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:32 pm
akhilsam wrote:
All,
We don't mind 80+ temp.
3) Do we need a car?
Why San Juan / Puerto Rico? Seems like quite an expense for just 4-5 days (long weekend)?

Do you know/speak Spanish? This was not a problem for us (we do not know/speak Spanish) since our one trip there was limited to the hotel/conference site. I would consider the Spanish language issue as more important if you get a car and travel very much.
Thanks! No Spanish at all! Any other suggestions for Puerto Rico?
Is Flight+Hotel+Car for $2500 a bad deal- What else similar. I have been to Cancun , and many US places already!
Apprecaiye ideas. Goal to get away - beaches are not must but looking from something different than normal US life :)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Thanks! No Spanish at all! Any other suggestions for Puerto Rico?
I do not know for 100% sure if this may be a problem or not.

Others may have such knowledge or experience.

What about just staying in the Continental US - such as the Florida Keys?

poker27

Post by poker27 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:50 pm

akhilsam wrote:
All,

We don't mind 80+ temp.

3) Do we need a car?

I went to Puerto Rico for the first time last year, and will be returning next week! So I'm a fan.

1. if you only have 5 nights, I would stick around San Juan. Beaches are nice, lots to do (night life and history), and its a fun place. If anything, maybe a drive to the rainforest since its less than an hour away.
2. 3. 5 nights to check out San Juan is enough, IMO. Beach during the day, and a different part of the city each night.
3. If you will be sticking to San Juan, no need for a car. We rented a car last year and it stayed parked as we Ubered everywhere.
4. Just typical expenses. Food, drinks, maybe beach chair rental if you need it.
5. I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm sure you will have plenty of options.
6. We booked an Airbnb both times. Right on the water with a balcony and a view for under $200 a night. There are a plethora of hotels too.
7. Jump on Trip Advisor and make some decisions. Its a very interesting city, with a ton of history. You can find something for everyone.

ironman

Post by ironman » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:58 pm

No Spanish required; anyone who wants your money can speak enough to communicate. If you want to ask directions from a grandpa in a small town, you may be out of luck without Google translate.

Why Puerto Rico?
It is an easy destination (no passport required) to experience a different culture with the relative safety of a US territory.
It is cheap to eat and find lodging compared to other Caribbean destinations.
Possibility of stumbling across buried treasure from the many pirates that visited