Long Plane trip - 16 Hours to Shanghai

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
WolfgangPauli

Long Plane trip - 16 Hours to Shanghai

Post by WolfgangPauli » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:29 am

Hi,

Going to Shanghai for work for 2 weeks in February. I am on a Delta flight out of Atlanta non-stop and that makes it over 16 hours in the plane. I am in a new section called "Premium 1". It is above Delta Comfort but not full reclining business class. FYI, the ticket cost $1,100 v. BC which is close to $6K.

Was wondering from this well traveled body if there are any tips. What should I carry on, compression socks etc. etc. I think I will be comfortable but want to make sure I have the 16 hours well planned out.

Thanks!
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

msk

Re: Long Plane trip - 16 Hours to Shanghai

Post by msk » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:43 am

If Delta allows you to bid $ for an upgrade, consider bidding whatever is acceptable to you. Do not be afraid to look too cheap. Your cheap bid is still better than Delta leaving the seat empty. Recently I won 2 upgrade cross Atlantic bids that saved me >$3000 compared to what it would have cost me to pay upfront for Business Class. And anyway, the worst that can happen is to survive Premium Economy, or whatever Delta calls it. Try to nod off by watching boring movies and eating a lot :twisted:

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:49 am

For long flights I always recommend the following:
-noise cancelling headphones (I like bose)
-travel pillow (I like the u shaped memory foam ones)
-compression socks

Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:01 am

Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated is very important. Avoid alcohol.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:16 am

We have to go back and forth from Dubai to Orlando which is 15.5 hours direct, but most feel it's better than several flight changes which pushes the travel to 24+ hours. Anyway, no matter how you slice it, it is going to SUCK! Even business class will not save you from feeling like a prisoner. One time I watched all three extended edition versions of the Lord of the Rings movies. I don't sleep much on flights these days, so if you can manage to do that, wonderful. Possibly taking a benedryl or xertec or something, might help.

The best advice I can give, although these things need to be tailored to the individual, is to plan ahead with activities you enjoy. I have co-workers that bring a gaming console and somehow use it on the flight. I will save books that I am dying to read and go through an entire one in a flight. Don't rely on the airline to provide entertainment that may or may not be effective, bring what you 100% know you like. Don't scrimp on it. It will be money well spent.

Yes, drink lots of water during the flight. Saline nose spray for use the day after helps. Business class usually provides a free travel pack with niceties such as a little tooth brush, good smelling hand lotion, eye shades.

The worst part about economy is having to worry about crawling over people for the bathroom (or having them crawl over you). Got to get up and move around.

Don't look at your watch.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:46 am

So it’s a long flight. Not that big a deal.You watch movies, sleep on and off, look forward to the meals, get up and stretch in the back of the plane. Don’t fear it, it’s just another day.
You survive it. Bring a good book.
People say the long flights are better than 24 hours with stops. But, I don’t think so.
It’s a big deal if you make it a big deal. The money you saved verses business class is easily enough to buy the best Bose headphones. Think of that as a little perk and buy them and up your attitude.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:55 am

All good advice is being posted. I will also add to not be cheap on a neck pillow. Get one that is very comfortable and supporting. I wear compression socks, drink water, and use quality eye masks. I have Bose headphones but also sometimes use a white noise app to aid sleep.

peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:59 am

Flyer24 gives good advice. Agree with your taking the single nonstop flight, it's like ripping the bandaid off at once.

Don't look at your watch, don't worry about time passing. Do what you can to keep yourself relaxed and occupied. Drink plenty of water.

Hope this helps, Peter

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:09 am

Fists with your toes.
Spoken by a fellow passenger to Bruce Willis in the first Die Hard movie, the passenger was talking about after you get to your hotel room, you take your shoes off, put your feet on the carpet and make "fists with your toes".
But that's not what I do; I flex and extend toes and ankles for maybe 10 seconds once an hour while on a long flight or car ride (at least, that's the goal). Shoes can still be on. But the memorable phrase to remind me is: fists with your toes.
I also take a few baby aspirin before long flights, but I'm not giving medical advice, I'm just saying what I do.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:42 am

Take books - charge your Kindle and at least one paper version. It is a nice change to go from in-seat movie screen to kindle to paper book, the change seems to reduce eye strain.

I can’t sleep well on planes and I have flown direct to Shanghai in coach at least 30 times over the years. Long trip west-bound in the winter...
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Camarillo Brillo

Post by Camarillo Brillo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:01 am

[Inappropriate paragraph removed - Moderater Flyer24]

And, as someone else said, be prepared to have passengers actually try crawling over you. I had one chap try to step directly in my lap instead of giving me time to get out of my aisle seat to let him by.

StrawMan

Post by StrawMan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:13 am

While not recommended, I used to take a bottle of NyQuil and melatonin with me for long overseas flights.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 am

Visit physician-get some good stuff, maybe.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:24 am

I take long flights like this (actually even longer) a lot and don't really like flying. So, I've thought a lot about things that work for me in terms of increasing comfort:

1) Dress in pajamas, even for business travel. Unless your client is meeting you in the airport, no one cares what you look like.
2) Environmental hazard 1 of airplane: dry air. Drink a lot of water and don't be worried about having to get up and pee. If you are dehydrated, you will get a headache besides being thirsty.
3) Don't drink coffee or alcohol during the trip. Both dehydrate you. Alcohol might make you nauseus and coffee prevents you from napping.
4) The most important accessory, in my opinion, is noise cancelling headphones. Over-the-ear type (the one with big cups that enclose your whole ear) are the best, if you don't mind carrying them. From my experience, many premium economy or business class seats lend you relatively good headphones as well.
5) Research the seating map on the airplane and avoid crowded areas near the bathroom and kitchen. Try to avoid sitting around the engine, where you might get extra noise and vibrations.
6) Don't watch any Disney movies between now and the flight, as they will all be on the airplane.
7) If possible, don't check bags. It's just another thing to wait for and adds stress. I make everything fit in a carry on or backpack at all costs.
8) In terms of entertainment, alternate the options like book, movie, video games, etc. You don't want to do any single thing for 6 hours straight.
9) Research the internet access on the flight. Sometimes, you save money by booking in advance. Internet makes time seem to disappear.
10) I've desperately tried all kinds of sleep aids and none work for me. However, I'm sure they work for others, or these medications wouldn't exist.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:36 am

On a thirteen and a half hour flight from LA to Taipei, a gentleman sitting next to me who flies that route all the time gave me this tip: Try to acclimate your body to the local time of your destination. In other words, if you land at 7am local time and usually get up at 6am when at home, schedule your sleep time for late in the flight, not necessarily when you are tired.

That seemed to help me a lot with jet lag.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:47 am

I'm at the Atlanta airport lounge and will board this flight in about 3 hours in an economy seat bought with my own money.
I take such long trips at least 4 times each year. I watch a few movies, drink some beers, sleep for a while, you will find yourself in Shanghai in no time.
The key is to get some sleep, so that you are awake when you arrive. There are 13 (or 11) hours of time difference, it can be a challenge if you are not prepared.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:02 am

Good advice. Couple thoughts.

Noise: if you don’t want to shell out money for noise canceling headphones, I use cheap foam ear plugs. They work pretty well and it’s much easier to sleep in them. Plus they don’t need to be charged.

https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Ultra-Soft ... B0051U7W32

Water: Don’t count on the airline giving you enough water. I always bring on 2 32-oz bottles and will drink those plus what the airline gives me.

Clothes: Bring comfy clothes/pjs to change into. And a change of socks. I also bring my own slippers.

I find a little alcohol helps me go to sleep. To each their own.
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:09 am

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:29 am
.....but want to make sure I have the 16 hours well planned out.
Extend your planning to be from the time you get up in the morning until you will go to bed in Shanghai. That could be 35 hours or more depending on when your flight leaves and arrives.

If you take any medicine, like taking a pill every morning, then figure out your schedule for that.

I have never flown there but on long distance flights like that I have not had major problems with jet lag flying west, but the long flight back east has hit me hard and taken almost a week to fully to get over the jet lag since I was not sleeping well. Many people find that traveling east is harder than west

Try to plan some free days when you return.

You may not want to drive yourself home from the airport when you return because you may not be at 100% after the long return flight.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:12 am

Make sure you get up and walk up and down the isles and to the toilet at least every 4 hours unless you sleep well on planes. Get your blood moving and shake your legs and wake up your body. Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots) is a real risk on long plane flights. Many people get these. My brother got it way back when and it leveled him for months.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/lon ... ood-clots/

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:19 am

Lots of good suggestions/advice!

I once took a long flight returning home (Washington DC area) - non-stop from Honolulu to Atlanta.

I am very envious of folks who can sleep on a plane. I almost never can sleep. Some folks can just put a small or neck pillow behind their head and doze off.

For any flight - but especially long ones - it is a good idea to drink plenty of liquids and periodically walk around.

From things I read, it seems that such long/very long flights are becoming more common.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:22 am

btenny wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:12 am
Make sure you get up and walk up and down the isles and to the toilet at least every 4 hours unless you sleep well on planes. Get your blood moving and shake your legs and wake up your body. Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots) is a real risk on long plane flights. Many people get these. My brother got it way back when and it leveled him for months.
Yes!! Perhaps even more often than every four hours.

Some of these things (deep vein thrombosis) can be disabling or even fatal.

I would stay completely away from any alcohol.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:25 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 am
Visit physician-get some good stuff, maybe.
Yes, for some folks. My wife has some problems with motion and dizziness - and takes some over the counter medicine that helps her. Fortunately. I have no such problems.

Many years ago, on multiple occasions (for employer) I needed to take the Friday night "redeye" flight from the US West Coast home (one of the Washington DC area airports. I found this was not a pleasant experience - after working all day on Friday and not being able to sleep on the flight.

Then, after the first such unpleasant trip, I did something different. Since there were several hours between the end of the Friday workday and when the "redeye" flight left, I went to the company's gym facility - took a long, leisurely shower, shaved and put on all clean clothes. While still not a "fun" flight, it was much, much less "unpleasant". I then did the same thing on succeeding "redeye" flights - for the two years I worked for that employer.

I also suspect that, for some folks, what they eat (or do not eat) and when they eat affects their reaction to such a long flight. Others may have ideas/suggestions - eating or not eating does not affect me on long flights.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:36 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:02 am

Noise: if you don’t want to shell out money for noise canceling headphones, I use cheap foam ear plugs. They work pretty well and it’s much easier to sleep in them. Plus they don’t need to be charged.
Actually, I use both. Put ear plugs, and then, over-the-ear headphones on top of that. When you are sleeping, you might take the headphones off, depending on your position. However, even if you are just sitting around, it's good to have as much noise insulation as possible. The plane noise slowly wears you down over time.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:45 am

I've never been on a 16 hour nonstop, but used to regularly do 20 hour flights with an hour stopover.

Definitely +1 on the noise cancelling headphones. That is hands down the biggest bang for your buck. I used to carry an adapter for the old style airplane headphone jacks, but I think they're all probably mini-jacks now.

Designate one of your meals before the halfway point your "dinner", try and get a nap in after that, then reset your watch to the new time zone. Some folks advise not drink alcohol at all, but personally I have extra wine with "dinner", get a nap in and then switch to coffee, juice and water and after that.

For carry-on, usual advise is to plan for your checkin luggage to be delayed a day and bring on anything you absolutely need to survive a day without the checkin luggage. In all likelihood your checkin luggage will be fine, but plan for it not to be.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Make sure that you have with you anything that you might want/need during the flight -- and that such items are not in your checked bags. This might include any medications that need to be taken in that 16+ hour trip.

J45

Post by J45 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Hey 16 hours is nothing! Have few glasses of wine and you should be fine :D

I fly longer than 16 every year and it gets better with time. The best thing that can be helpful is upgrading to business class. Look into time difference and when you arrive, sleep with the destination time schedule. Somehow I found out that helps a lot if you can stay awake to stick to the new time zone.

If you are older than 40, make sure you walk every few hours in the plane. Avoid blood clots in high pressure cabins :D

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:28 pm

J45 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:19 pm
Hey 16 hours is nothing! Have few glasses of wine and you should be fine :D
I fly longer than 16 every year and it gets better with time. The best thing that can be helpful is upgrading to business class. Look into time difference and when you arrive, sleep with the destination time schedule. Somehow I found out that helps a lot if you can stay awake to stick to the new time zone.
If you are older than 40, make sure you walk every few hours in the plane. Avoid blood clots in high pressure cabins :D
Even if "under 40" - why take any chance at all? Get up and move around every few hours - trying, if possible, not to excessively bother folks seated in the same row if you are not seated on the aisle. The cabins in planes are not "high pressure" at all. The air pressure, in fact, is lower than that from being on the ground.

MJS

Post by MJS » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:39 pm

I shift my sleep cycle closer to the arrival time zone.
1st night, Atlanta to Denver time
3rd night, Denver to Honolulu time
5th day, fly away.

Jetlagrooster does detailed plans for a full time zone shift. However, a partial adjustment helps me deal with flight-time-loss better than full adjustment.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:45 pm

MJS wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:39 pm
5th day, fly away.
Jetlagrooster does detailed plans for a full time zone shift. However, a partial adjustment helps me deal with flight-time-loss better than full adjustment.
Yes - if at all possible, try to adjust your schedule/sleep/wake times before you leave to reduce "jet lag"

Workable Goblin

Post by Workable Goblin » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Watty wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:09 am
I have never flown there but on long distance flights like that I have not had major problems with jet lag flying west, but the long flight back east has hit me hard and taken almost a week to fully to get over the jet lag since I was not sleeping well. Many people find that traveling east is harder than west
That was certainly my experience on the numerous flights I have taken from the United States to China. One thing that helped somewhat, particularly going west, was not trying to sleep--the flights usually got in at night or in the late afternoon, so it wasn't much trouble to head straight to the hotel and go to bed. Then I would have a sleep/wake schedule that was close enough to the day-night cycle to be workable for the meetings I was going to China to attend.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:05 pm

While I was in my 50s in the 1990s I flew to Asia about 16 times, to Seoul and Beijing, mostly from NY City. Initially I flew Business class, liked the lounges at airports, later it was Economy. I always had 2 drinks at the beginning of a flight, they had those little bottles, that helped. Once in Economy class with a new sprain in my back, have 2 compressed disks, I sat tight in that Economy class seat, and when arriving, that sprain was gone.

Southtonorth

Post by Southtonorth » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:31 pm

I got the same advice as Jimmie gave. It worked. Try to sleep, or at least close your eyes, at the beginning of the flight, even when you're not tired at all. Then try to stay awake at the end of the flight. Some people even suggested that you stay up late the night before the flight, so that you'd be tired enough to fall asleep the next day (or night at your destination).

Wearing comfortable clothes also helps. I always bring a comfortable jacket just in case I get cold. If I don't need to wear it, I can use it on my lower back for more comfortable sitting.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:40 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:02 pm
Make sure that you have with you anything that you might want/need during the flight -- and that such items are not in your checked bags. This might include any medications that need to be taken in that 16+ hour trip.
Keep *extra* amounts of essentials such as meds (and on any flight, not just ultra long haul) in case your luggage is not waiting for you on the carousel when you arrive...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:53 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:40 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:02 pm
Keep *extra* amounts of essentials such as meds (and on any flight, not just ultra long haul) in case your luggage is not waiting for you on the carousel when you arrive...
RM
Yes! Very important, in my experience and opinion.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:04 pm

All good tips so far. I’ve done a number of 22-26 hour treks with middle leg of 14 hours or so.

Very painful for my older joints. I take some Advil and Tylenol.

Oh, don’t wear my contacts either, use glasses

Also, I like to fully brush, floss, shave sometime in the long flight.

achoooo8358

Post by achoooo8358 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 pm

I flew Delta One to Asia last year.

For long flights, I'd agree with wearing PJs and glasses on the flight, brushing/flossing, walking/stretching periodically, and bringing noise-canceling headphones as well as entertainment (e.g. podcasts, audiobooks, e-books, etc.). With Delta, I found that even in first class, meals were all served at the same time, so the noise from the meal service was a challenge. Also, you may already know this but Delta offers free texting so you can still socialize that way on trip!

Not sure if this suits you but to manage dryness on planes, I bring sheet masks, lotion, and sprays. It helps the flight feel like a mini-spa, rather than a plane with recycled air that I was trapped in temporarily. I also brought food and snacks like oranges and apples, because they are hydrating and helped with not caring about missing an airline meal when I was sleeping.

Regarding jet lag, I sometimes don't sleep the night before a long trip, so that I'm exhausted and can sleep right away when on board. I usually also take some melatonin.

Hope this helps!

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:03 pm

I don’t know what’s worse, the 16 hours, or the guy in his PJs walking the aisle while flossing his teeth, or the zonked out people using sleep aids that you cannot move to get out. How safe is that on an airplane?

Topic Author
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:31 pm

Camarillo Brillo wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:01 am
[Inappropriate paragraph removed - Moderater Flyer24]

And, as someone else said, be prepared to have passengers actually try crawling over you. I had one chap try to step directly in my lap instead of giving me time to get out of my aisle seat to let him by.
One thing I did do is go to seatguru to pick the best seat I could in my class. I am in a 777 and in the "Delta Premium Select" which is the one above Delta Comfort but below business class. My seat is the aisle seat on the right side of the aircraft with only one other person next to me (They are the "window"). So, I will only have to deal with that person.

Topic Author
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Great advice. Anyone have recommendations on the best neck pillow?

Also, my plan was to manage my sleep "as if" I was already there. I am going to try to sleep as fast as possible on the plane then get up and stay awake for a good 10 hours. I land Saturday night SH time and I plan on then going right to bed when I hit the hotel. Wake up Sunday morning and hopefully that will get me close to being on their time.

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:07 pm

btenny wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:12 am

+1

Deep vein thrombosis is a big deal. I would not want to end up in a Chinese hospital...or morgue. Drink lots and get up to walk around every few hours.

On 10+ hour night flights I typically take a short acting prescription sleeping pill, such as zolpidem (Ambien). However, a 16 hour plane flight is probably not a great place to try it for the first time. YMMV.
62 yo, 1-3y til retire. AA 70/30: 30% S&P, 16% value, 14% intl, 10% EM, 30% short/int govt bonds. DW & my Fed pensions now ≈60% of expenses. Taking SS @age 70--> pension+SS ≈100% of expenses.

Rwsawbones

Post by Rwsawbones » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:31 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:45 pm
MJS wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:39 pm
5th day, fly away.
Yes - if at all possible, try to adjust your schedule/sleep/wake times before you leave to reduce "jet lag"

Rwsawbones

Post by Rwsawbones » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:34 pm

Excellent idea to change one’s own clock by changing sleeping times to the destination for several days before the journey. You might consult with your physician for some of the finer details

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Perhaps I am paranoid, but I am afraid of a sudden turbulence while I am walking about.
Is there a substitute?

tamudude

Post by tamudude » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:46 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:29 am
Hi,

Going to Shanghai for work for 2 weeks in February. I am on a Delta flight out of Atlanta non-stop and that makes it over 16 hours in the plane. I am in a new section called "Premium 1". It is above Delta Comfort but not full reclining business class. FYI, the ticket cost $1,100 v. BC which is close to $6K.

Was wondering from this well traveled body if there are any tips. What should I carry on, compression socks etc. etc. I think I will be comfortable but want to make sure I have the 16 hours well planned out.

Thanks!
Get comfortable. Don't hesitate to get up frequently and drink water + stretch. Eat every meal they serve. Get a good neck pillow. A nice eye mask and noise cancelling headset does wonders to sleep. Note: Noise cancellation for extended times makes me nauseous. Found out the hard way :)
If it makes you feel any better, tonight I am flying from SE Asia to southern part of USA. 8hrs first leg + 15.5hrs second leg + 2 hours drive. I have done 6 such trips over the last 8 months. After a while, it is just another journey.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:27 am

Jimmie wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:36 am
On a thirteen and a half hour flight from LA to Taipei, a gentleman sitting next to me who flies that route all the time gave me this tip: Try to acclimate your body to the local time of your destination. In other words, if you land at 7am local time and usually get up at 6am when at home, schedule your sleep time for late in the flight, not necessarily when you are tired.

That seemed to help me a lot with jet lag.
+1

Get up often and stretch. Remove your shoes and replace with some light slippers. My wife wears compression socks and swears by that wrap around neck support / pillow.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:36 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:38 pm
Great advice. Anyone have recommendations on the best neck pillow?
I never liked the hassle of one, but recently spent on a well reviewed one on Amazon that actually held my head upright for my nap times. I found it an improvement to trying to make the airline pillows work.

I don't get much quality sleep on long, long flights, so my only psychological trick is to "bend time" by watching movies all the way through, bathroom/ exercise break, rinse and repeat and hope to get through to the last 3rd of the flight.
If I have access to a flight lounge before departure, I gladly "shower ahead", even if I last showered in the last 6 hours...and change into clean clothes in anticipation of feeling discombobulated on arrival.

NB- I no longer travel for business and can't imagine having to be "ready to perform" business wise on the same day as an overnight flight.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:33 pm

I just survived this trip. The plane arrived 30 minutes earlier. I did not even have a formal sleep on the plane.

Wainward

Post by Wainward » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:25 pm

Be aware of what you should receive as a long-haul Premium Select passenger, and reconsider bringing duplicate items onboard (e. g., headphones, certain toiletries). These can vary from one aircraft type to another, so you may need to do some research. But remember that, in rare cases, these amenities might be missing.

Don't count on in flight entertainment working. If it doesn't work, mention this on the post-flight survey for a chance at some compensation.

If you are not a Skymiles member, sign up before taking this flight. You will get redeemable miles to use toward future upgrades, discounts, or award travel. You will also get enough MQMs for Silver Medallion, but you will be short on MQDs. If you are already a Skymiles member, you already know how to play this game.

Other than that, it's just a long day in a catered waiting room.

market timer

Post by market timer » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:57 am

Lots of good advice already. I have done this flight many times. Here are my recommendations when flying economy:
1. Get a morning flight and don't plan to sleep
2. No alcohol or coffee, drink lots of water
3. Bring noise canceling headphones and a spare battery
4. Enjoy 2-3 movies during the first half of the flight
5. Expect to get really fatigued in the second half
6. When fatigued, I switch to classical music and just close my eyes (avoids eye strain and keeps eyes moisturized)
7. Get up, stretch, and walk around often

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:00 pm

An post regarding acceptable cultural behavior was below our threshold and has been removed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.