Navigation App - Android Auto

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RMO87

Navigation App - Android Auto

Post by RMO87 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:03 pm

I recently purchased a new car with Android Auto. I've never used a navigation app before, but I'm thinking it is more convenient than printing off directions from Google Maps or Mapquest!! Is anyone familiar with a good app that they find easy to use? Even better, do any good free apps exist?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

neilpilot

Re: Navigation App - Android Auto

Post by neilpilot » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:10 pm

While there are several, I've been happy using Here WeGo, both domestically and in Europe.

Also many users falsely think that it's necessary to use your phone's data when navigating, but I almost never do. Unless you need to have traffic info, if you simply download the map you need into your phones memory you can navigate quite well without any data usage.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:13 pm

I’ve had great luck using Google Maps with Android Auto. Real-time traffic updates and re-routing options are usually good.

ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Do not have new car with Android Auto but I like the Waze app. I think it would be supported by Android Auto.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:14 pm

RMO87 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:03 pm
I'm thinking it is more convenient than printing off directions from Google Maps or Mapquest!!
Even more convenient than printing off directions from Google Maps is to ... pull up Google Maps on your Android phone. It works with Android Auto.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:15 pm

ETadvisor wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:13 pm
Do not have new car with Android Auto but I like the Waze app. I think it would be supported by Android Auto.
Yes it is. But Waze has been owned by Google for some time now, and Google Maps gets exactly the same traffic data as Waze. I've compared side-by-side, never have I gotten different directions from Waze. Since OP is already familiar with Google Maps, he/she can just use that.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:16 pm

Just to clarify the question: you have Android auto but you don't want to use it? Because if you have Android Auto it is supposed to work with the existing apps on your Android phone, such as Google Maps. I occasionally try to use AA on rental cars, but I have only been successful about 25% of the time. Either it's super buggy or I am missing something about how it is supposed to work.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:23 pm

02nz wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:14 pm
Even more convenient than printing off directions from Google Maps is to ... pull up Google Maps on your Android phone. It works with Android Auto.
That's what I do. Learn to talk to your phone to ask it for directions instead of thumbing anything in to it. You can practice in your parked car.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

student

Post by student » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:48 pm

ETadvisor wrote:
+1. It has warnings of road accidents, hazards and other important info.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:51 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:23 pm
02nz wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:14 pm
That's what I do. Learn to talk to your phone to ask it for directions instead of thumbing anything in to it. You can practice in your parked car.
Hands-free is important. My car (and I imagine most others that have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay) has a button on the steering wheel that brings up Google Assistant or Siri, so you can go door to door hands-free.
Last edited by 02nz on Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:53 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:10 pm
Also many users falsely think that it's necessary to use your phone's data when navigating, but I almost never do. Unless you need to have traffic info, if you simply download the map you need into your phones memory you can navigate quite well without any data usage.
With Google Maps you can do both: download offline maps, and as long as you have a data connection the app will still pull in live traffic, which uses only a small amount of data. Great for those on limited-data plans, or internationally if you have free but slow data roaming (e.g., T-Mobile and Sprint).

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Waze. The real time data is hard to beat.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Google Maps for both domestic and international navigation. I have not printed out directions in over ten years. I didn't realize people still did that.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Being "directionally challenged" I love android auto, but supposedly not depending on nav apps all the time is better for ones brain.

RJC

Post by RJC » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Another for Waze. It warns you of speed cameras and police stops.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:04 pm

student wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:48 pm
ETadvisor wrote:
+1. It has warnings of road accidents, hazards and other important info.
+2 for Waze. It has Roadkill alerts, red light camera alerts, police alerts, and it shows your speed and speed limit. It is like Google Maps on steroids.

Topic Author
RMO87

Post by RMO87 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:44 pm

OK, I have decided to start with Google Maps, as that is already on my phone.

Now, I need a little hand-holding getting it set up and knowing what to expect. A couple questions:

1. Do I need to have the Android Auto app and the Google Maps app open when I want to use it?

2. Will I see the map on my car's touchscreen display? Will I hear audio through my car's speakers (e.g., "Turn right at the next exit.")?

Thanks again for all your responses.
Ryan

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Waze is the best

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:04 pm
+2 for Waze. It has Roadkill alerts, red light camera alerts, police alerts, and it shows your speed and speed limit. It is like Google Maps on steroids.
When was the last time you used Google maps? It is taking steroids nowadays as well.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:58 pm

I was using Google Maps via Android Auto on a recent trip. I was surprised when it warned of a "speed trap". I thought that Waze did that but not Google Maps. Previous poster mentioned that Waze is now owned by Google, so maybe there's been some integration. In any event, the warning was useless. There was a state trooper vehicle, presumably monitoring speed, by the side of road -- but I had already passed it. Since I'm a legal driver, no problem. But I wouldn't be relying on Google AKA Waze to save my bacon.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

LookinAround

Post by LookinAround » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:59 pm

RMO87 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:44 pm
OK, I have decided to start with Google Maps, as that is already on my phone.

Now, I need a little hand-holding getting it set up and knowing what to expect. A couple questions:

1. Do I need to have the Android Auto app and the Google Maps app open when I want to use it?

2. Will I see the map on my car's touchscreen display? Will I hear audio through my car's speakers (e.g., "Turn right at the next exit.")?

Thanks again for all your responses.
Ryan
Search youtube. Most car companies have videos showing how to use Android Auto on their in-vehicle screeen. Go to youtube.com and try search terms make model Android auto substituting make model for your own car of course. Sometimes you might need add the year of the car as well

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:11 pm

I haven't used Android Auto, but I have used Apple CarPlay. I assume they are similar. If they are, then you plug in your phone and use the phone apps through the vehicle's native system (including the car's speakers for turn by turn directions). In my car, there is a smartphone button, and it brings up a display that gives me access to several of my phone apps (e.g., Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, Whatsapp) through the car's screen. I can either use the car's turn dial or the voice activation, if I want to try my luck with Siri. If the name is easy, like Costco, Siri does well. If the name is some random street that's barely pronounceable, Siri will get very confused. Regardless of the input mechanism, it's more intuitive and faster than using the car's native navigation system.

Important: Many cars must be hard wired for CarPlay or Android Auto to work. Even if the phone connects to your car via bluetooth (i.e., you get voice calls via the car's speakers), it will not access Android Auto without a wire. Some newer cars have CarPlay/Android Auto via bluetooth, but I'm not sure how common it is yet. Bonus, with the hard wire, your phone will stay charged. Negative, I can't use a separate thumb drive for music and my CarPlay simultaneously.

A440

Post by A440 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:22 pm

What is "MapQuest"? :happy
Just joking...I've learn to trust Google Maps or Waze, even if I don't agree with the directions. I usually find out later while waiting in traffic why it suggested an alternate route.
FWIW, I just purchased a 2020 vehicle and Auto Android needs a USB cable to integrate with the infotainment unit.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.