What tech wiring in new build house?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
corn18

What tech wiring in new build house?

Post by corn18 »

We are building a home that we might live in for a while. Our current house is wired to the max for tech, but we currently have no home phone and only use wifi for our TV (Roku + YouTube TV). So if it were up to me, all we would have in the new house is electrical outlets. But that might not be good for resale. I don't want to spend a bundle on cat5, telephone, cable, surround sound wiring and what not. So, what would you want in a house for tech wiring? We have our design meeting in Jan and have to pick what to put in.
Don't do something, just stand there!
runner3081

Re: What tech wiring in new build house?

Post by runner3081 »

With wireless technology, I wouldn't even worry about wiring it for anything, other than power.

I would not put phone lines in either.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

Not long ago I had the same decision to make, a while back we completed an extensive renovation on our house. We have lots of gadgets in the house. I decided to do only electrical outlets - no tech wiring at all. Mesh wifi is good enough now - and wireless is continuing to get better - such that I didn't feel it was necessary. No ethernet, nothing.
furwut

Post by furwut »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:04 am With wireless technology, I wouldn't even worry about wiring it for anything, other than power.

+1
Spend money on sustainability.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

I made a mistake! It was 1 X Coax.

For my day job, I design wireless networks. For my own house, I put 2 Cat6 and 2 1 X coax outlets on every wall of the living room. And, I put 2 cat6 and 2 1 X coax outlets in every bedroom. One of my peers run conduits from every room of his house to the cellar. He can run any cable through the conduit. We are all wireless experts.

The new generation of WiFi will require even more cables.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desiboy

Post by desiboy »

+1 conduit to the cellar/basement, or to a wiring closet in a room.

"One of my peers run conduits from every room of his house to the cellar."
Bnjneer

Post by Bnjneer »

I am curious. Why will the new version of wireless require MORE cables? Thank you
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

This is the new WiFi. It is so fast that you need more than one Ethernet cable to connect to the WiFi routers.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/wif ... ed-3442712

But, the faster speed is normally limited to 30 feet. So, you may need more WiFi routers connected to each other with a cable in order to reach this speed.

Won't you like the idea of transmitting 4K video wirelessly all over your house?

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Bnjneer wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:41 am I am curious. Why will the new version of wireless require MORE cables? Thank you
It is faster than 1 Gbps aka 1 Ethernet cable at 1 Gbps.

KlangFool
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

we put cat 6 and coax outlets in every room for our addition.
hardwired is always more reliable that wireless, even though the wireless speeds are getting close.
our only issues was that we decided to put the TV on a different wall than planned after we finished the project.

you can also do cat6 to outdoor sports for security cameras.

The other thing you could think about is in wall of ceiling speaker wire
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I ran wired Ethernet (GigE) in my existing house. I don't want to miss my stories if someone microwaves a burrito. 2x GigE would be more futureproof, maybe. It might also look like a VHS cassette in 20 years.
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:11 am OP,

For my day job, I design wireless networks. For my own house, I put 2 Cat6 and 2 coax outlets on every wall of the living room. And, I put 2 cat6 and 2 coax outlets in every bedroom. One of my peers run conduits from every room of his house to the cellar. He can run any cable through the conduit. We are all wireless experts.

KlangFool
I like the 2 x Cat6 but why add the coax?
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

corn18 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:57 am

For my day job, I design wireless networks. For my own house, I put 2 Cat6 and 2 coax outlets on every wall of the living room. And, I put 2 cat6 and 2 coax outlets in every bedroom. One of my peers run conduits from every room of his house to the cellar. He can run any cable through the conduit. We are all wireless experts.

KlangFool
Coax is cheap, cheap and works with satellite as well as catv
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

8foot7 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:00 am

KlangFool
And MoCA.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

furwut wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:11 am
runner3081 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:04 am With wireless technology, I wouldn't even worry about wiring it for anything, other than power.

+1
Spend money on sustainability.
Agree
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

KlangFool
corn18,

It was for cable TV and satellite distribution. It comes with the standard package for my case. The incremental cost of running additional cable is not high. So, you may find out that the additional coax cable may not cost that much. The best option is a conduit. Then, you can run any cables.

KlangFool
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Along with the 2 cat6 and 2 coax (OTA TV and Satellite), I’d look at running speaker wire to the area also. You can use cat6 for phone. I use a business phone system mainly as an intercom through the house.

Other random wire thoughts:

For coax, use solid copper core RG6 rather than copper clad steel. A bit more money but satellite tv specs require this. Dish blamed any problem on wrong wire used.

Run cat5 for outdoor security cameras. POE for power

Cat 5/6 to front door for doorbell/camera.

Run wire for alarm system touch pads.

Panel wire closet with unpainted plywood for easy mountings and non conducting.

Run cat6, 2 rg6 and alarm wire to door/chimney for ota antenna, outdoor wifi, sat dish, and alarm siren/light.

Family used to kid me about ota antenna but kidding stopped when broadcast channels were dropped in a contract dispute.
Last edited by BuddyJet on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

KlangFool

+1 This. It's really cheap to have cabling done now while the home is being built. I had a "server room" and installed the a patch panel in the basement where all wiring comes into, nice, neat and easy to maintain. Run a conduit to the attic for future use and don't forget cables to the patio and garage too. WiFi is great, bit having wires allows you to close the system(s) if desired.

Coax is good for cord cutters that want to connect to a outdoor antenna and for those with cable that want the best picture.
Last edited by bob60014 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

8foot7 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:00 am

KlangFool
Good point. I think that is the best answer. It's a ranch with a partially finished basement so I think we will put these in the 4 bedrooms, den, study and basement rec room. Wonder how much that will cost?
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

We are close to completing a remodel of our home. In the process, I had them run CAT6 from the data closet (in a conduit for future changes) to the entertainment center area, and from the data closet (again in conduit) to the home office. I use the data closet, entertainment center and home office end points as locations for our backbone-connected mesh. The only devices that are physically connected via ethernet are the mesh end points, my gaming PC, a Synology NAS, some Sonos gear, and our living room Roku. Everything else is WiFi. I do have a couple stacks of Sonos Amps that are connected to various speakers around the house, but they’re all in the data closet and all wired to a 16-port switch. However, iPads & phones, Laptops, Rokus in 2 other rooms, etc. etc. etc. are all wireless, all stream perfectly - no matter where we are on the property. “Smart” devices (lights, plugs, thermostats, cameras) are wirelessly connected to a separate IOTnet that is shielded from our primary WiFi network.

Could it all be done totally wirelessly? Yes, but for gaming, I’ve found that latency suffers a bit (vs. wired). That said, I’ve been able to stream 4k wirelessly to our two WiFi connected Rokus in various parts of the house...with no problems whatsoever.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

We built a custom home in 2016. We ran Cat-6e to every room in the house and from the security cameras to the control room. We also ran long HDMI cables to transmit the security feed in the living room and the bedroom. We have no phone lines and no coax. Overall, we're glad we did it, but we definitely see the security camera portion being obsolete very soon as IP cameras are getting better daily. Good luck!
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

No comment on the coax, etc, but I'd add outlets with USB connections so I can plug right in w/o another plug and transformer and charge all my things.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

KlangFool wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:42 am Folks,

This is the new WiFi. It is so fast that you need more than one Ethernet cable to connect to the WiFi routers.

But, the faster speed is normally limited to 30 feet. So, you may need more WiFi routers connected to each other with a cable in order to reach this speed.

Won't you like the idea of transmitting 4K video wirelessly all over your house?

KlangFool
4k video looks like it requires only 35 Mbps which can be easily sustained by current 802.11ac WiFi routers. How does WiFi 6 change this?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:39 pm

KlangFool
4k video looks like it requires only 35 Mbps which can be easily sustained by current 802.11ac WiFi routers. How does WiFi 6 change this?
ARoseByAnyOtherName,

You might be right about this.

But,

1) How many 4K TVs/Screens?

2) How about 8K and VR?

It takes a lot of effort to run cables. We should design the system to last more than a few years.

KlangFool

Post by 123 »

Some might prefer wired connectivity for the security it provides. Yes, I know that's old school and a mindset from an earlier century.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

If you have any interest in adding home automation, put in extra deep junction boxes to all switches and any electrical outlet you may want to control. The reason is the electronics take up a couple inches behind the switch and it gets tough routing wires. Many if not most of the current home automation devices also need a neutral (white) wire along with ground. So be sure your electrician can do that.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

If I were building a new house, I would run ENT (electrical NON-metallic tubing) to all the likely locations, probably in a 3/4" size. This is flexible conduit that is easy to install- bends, comes in long rolls or glues together with PVC connectors, etc. I would have them all terminate in a common spot, like the basement or a utility closet. I could then pull whatever I need whenever I need it just using a fish tape. And changing wiring would be quite easy. On the ends in the rooms, they would terminate in an outlet type box that I could either install a jack in or put a blank plate on them.

Of course, at one point in my life I was an electrician so I would be doing this myself.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

KlangFool wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:53 pm

KlangFool
ARoseByAnyOtherName,

But,

2) How about 8K and VR?

It takes a lot of effort to run cables. We should design the system to last more than a few years.

KlangFool
Granted that once you start stacking up simultaneous 4k streams you start pushing it in terms of real-word capacity before you get too many. 8K I'd expect to be twice 4K, so around 70 Mbps, which should still be doable by 802.11ac. And VR.... well all bets are off there, it could ultimately be hundreds of megabits per second I imagine.

KlangFool, as a enterprise wireless expert, what wifi gear do you have at home? I hear that the Ubiquiti enterprise line is about as good as you can reasonably get and manage as a consumer. Is that true?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:13 pm
KlangFool wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:53 pm

KlangFool
ARoseByAnyOtherName,

But,

2) How about 8K and VR?

KlangFool
Granted that once you start stacking up simultaneous 4k streams you start pushing it in terms of real-word capacity before you get too many. 8K I'd expect to be twice 4K, so around 70 Mbps, which should still be doable by 802.11ac. And VR.... well all bets are off there, it could ultimately be hundreds of megabits per second I imagine.

KlangFool, as a enterprise wireless expert, what wifi gear do you have at home? I hear that the Ubiquiti enterprise line is about as good as you can reasonably get and manage as a consumer. Is that true?
ARoseByAnyOtherName,

I have a small townhouse. I have complete WiFi coverage by the latest Verizon FiOS router. I do not install my own WiFi router. I rent the Verizon Fios router to avoid maintaining them.

I buy the following router for my kids to be used in their apartments.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BU ... UTF8&psc=1
<< TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router
by TP-Link>>

<<I hear that the Ubiquiti enterprise line is about as good as you can reasonably get and manage as a consumer. Is that true?>>

I do not believe in WiFi Mesh. More WiFi routers wired together tend to work a lot better.

<<KlangFool, as a enterprise wireless expert, >>

After 20+ years of working with networking equipment, configuring more of them is not productive for me.

KlangFool
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I did a gut job on an old 1935 bungalow last year.

I ran cat6 and coax to all bedrooms, living room, and laundry room where a structured wiring cabinet was.

I also ran cat6 to the front and back doors for wired POE cameras.

The nice thing about cat6 in all rooms is that I centrally located the wifi cable/router.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

I second the motion to make sure your data center/network hub is centrally located in the house, so your WiFi Router can provide optimal signal strength throughout.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I echo the recommendations for installing conduits. That's the most future proof thing you can do. Each room. And a couple behind any TVs you may have. Makes concealing wires very easy.

My other recommendation is lots of electrical outlets. With nice deep spacious junction boxes (as one prior poster said). I hate not having an outlet nearby where ever I am. I hate a crowded junction box.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

radiowave wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 pm Many if not most of the current home automation devices also need a neutral (white) wire along with ground.
The latest electrical code requires a neutral in each box - for precisely this reason.
politely

Post by politely »

If you don't need all the wiring, that's ok, but during the build phase, I would add conduits while it can be done inexpensively, so that you, or the future buyer, have the option to run cable, of whatever variety. Wireless may get better in the future, but I have hard-wired all of my data-intensive or important connections with plenum-rated CAT6 and have been very happy having done it while I had the chance. You may want to think carefully about the diameter of the conduits, planning of the location of the conduits, and the location of the hubs.

Probably the biggest issue I faced with wireless was the connectivity between floors.
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

heartwood wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:30 pm No comment on the coax, etc, but I'd add outlets with USB connections so I can plug right in w/o another plug and transformer and charge all my things.
I would advise against those USB charging ports. The power requirements for USB charging ports increases with every new generation of tablets, phones, computers, etc. And current phones don't even charge at the fastest rates with the highest-output USB charging ports available today. So if you installed these electrical outlets with built-in USB charging ports today, they are essentially already obsolete.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

runswithscissors wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:08 am
heartwood wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:30 pm No comment on the coax, etc, but I'd add outlets with USB connections so I can plug right in w/o another plug and transformer and charge all my things.
I would advise against those USB charging ports. The power requirements for USB charging ports increases with every new generation of tablets, phones, computers, etc. And current phones don't even charge at the fastest rates with the highest-output USB charging ports available today. So if you installed these electrical outlets with built-in USB charging ports today, they are essentially already obsolete.
Was just about to say that. Google Pixel phones use different charging standard that Moto phones we have. Annoying.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

The conduit tips reminded me of our experience. We reconstructed our 1 story home to a 2 story in 1988. At the time we considered having a central vac and I ran the piping and installed the wall hose connections. We never installed the vac. Fast forward a few years and the kids wanted ethernet in their rooms for their computers. I used the abandoned piping to run cat 5 from the basement to the attic and drop into the bedroom closets. Not sure why I ran the pipe to the attic, but am glad I did. :idea:
bberris

Post by bberris »

We put ethernet cable in two places around the house, but it isn't needed.
I'm happy that we put an antenna in the attic and cabled it to our two TVs.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

We ran cat6 to every room just in case, allowed us to hard wire the mesh WiFi system for better performance and a few other gadgets here and there. The TV antenna runs into a USB tuner so so need to wire for coax.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:39 pm 4k video looks like it requires only 35 Mbps which can be easily sustained by current 802.11ac WiFi routers. How does WiFi 6 change this?
Maybe if you are talking about overcompressed streaming services. If you are streaming 4K blu-ray disc images from a central server, the throughput will be 82 to 128 Mbps. Wifi AC's real throughput drops dramatically with distance. In my large home, there are many spots where the network throughput drops to just 60 Mbps. This is because one of the 3 access points isn't wired, unfortunately - but connects to one of the other 2, which are wired. Those two rooms do have CAT6A - I'm already running a 10 Gbps LAN between them. Even though my Internet connection is "just" 1 Gbps, it is nice to be able to do local backups of multiple terabytes of data quickly.
I really wish I had CAT6A everywhere, and if I were the OP, would add that in every room, and multiple drops at that.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

madbrain wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:57 am
ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:39 pm 4k video looks like it requires only 35 Mbps which can be easily sustained by current 802.11ac WiFi routers. How does WiFi 6 change this?
Maybe if you are talking about overcompressed streaming services. If you are streaming 4K blu-ray disc images from a central server
...which is something very few people do.
madbrain wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:57 am I really wish I had CAT6A everywhere, and if I were the OP, would add that in every room, and multiple drops at that.
OP clearly doesn’t have the same needs as you so I’m not sure why you’re making this recommendation.

Are you making the argument that Cat6A everywhere is needed for resale value?

Did you even read the original post?
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Another tip... after all wires/cables/conduits are installed, take pictures of all walls and ceilings prior to drywall, and save with specific location tags, for easy reference when drilling or remodeling in the future.

Likewise, if construction will have under slab plumbing, take detailed pictures of entire pipe layout before slab is poured.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

Please label both ends of the cables. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy. A, B, C on both ends will make it much easier for future troubleshooting especially if all the cables are homeruns to a central point.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

In addition to tubing to run whatever wires the future might hold, ceiling crown and floor molding is now sold which is hollow to run cables in. Its commonly called "raceway" molding, even though that is also a brand name.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

RootSki wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:32 am Please label both ends of the cables. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy. A, B, C on both ends will make it much easier for future troubleshooting especially if all the cables are homeruns to a central point.
Do this. When I moved into my house, the cabling was done very nicely, but with no labeling. It was a project to figure out and label everything and there are still a few items that remain a mystery.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:13 pm KlangFool, as a enterprise wireless expert, what wifi gear do you have at home? I hear that the Ubiquiti enterprise line is about as good as you can reasonably get and manage as a consumer. Is that true?
I am not he/she but can vouch for ubiquiti. It's relatively simple to install, there's plenty of guides/forums out there for help, it's powerful, extending with new APs is trivial, and roaming across APs has been trivial. It's been reliable for 5 years.

Definitely run coax for IP cameras with PoE and for access points. Bonus points for conduit.
hudson

Post by hudson »

IowaFarmBoy wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:00 pm If I were building a new house, I would run ENT (electrical NON-metallic tubing) to all the likely locations, probably in a 3/4" size. This is flexible conduit that is easy to install- bends, comes in long rolls or glues together with PVC connectors, etc. I would have them all terminate in a common spot, like the basement or a utility closet. I could then pull whatever I need whenever I need it just using a fish tape. And changing wiring would be quite easy. On the ends in the rooms, they would terminate in an outlet type box that I could either install a jack in or put a blank plate on them.
You could be just fine with wireless all the way, especially if you have a good cell tower nearby.....but....

IowaFarmBoy's solution sounds like what I would do if I were building new and the walls were still open.
Of course, he would have pull tapes inside the conduit; if a pull tape was used, I'd have another pulled.
Someone said pictures of everything with a diagram....and put it in the "wiring closet." I'd permanently label all conduit runs at the "wiring closet" or anywhere the conduit is visible. Fix it so that someone would find it 20 years or more from now. It takes a lot of time and trouble to try and figure out someone's wiring years later.
I would figure out where the phone/internet/TV type services came into the house and have the runs of conduit come in there...I would have a "wiring closet" with plenty of room for any routers/modems/battery backups.
There's lots of good advice here, but there is likely a network cable person near you that can give you advice after looking over your house. None of us are seeing your house. If you had an outbuilding, they might recommend that you have a data conduit run out there?

I won't try to predict what will be popular in the future....again a few wireless devices that Klangfool discussed might do everything. I've been out of the IT field for 6 years.

In addition to the conduit, I would separately run a Cat5e (is 6 available and cheap?) cable to any outbuilding, crawlspace, basement, or attic. I may or may not have a cable run to every room. I would hire a real network person rather than listen to hudson's advice....maybe one that also installed security systems.
Last edited by hudson on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

For Enterprise-class WiFi design, we put a WiFi AP every 30 feet and wired them together. The wired connection is moving up to 2 X 1 Gbps minimum.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:11 am
madbrain wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:57 am
Maybe if you are talking about overcompressed streaming services. If you are streaming 4K blu-ray disc images from a central server
...which is something very few people do.
ARoseByAnyOtherName,

My Yamaha Stereo Receiver comes standard with WiFi that I can stream music into it. It is not out of the question that future Blue-ray players and TVs may have that capability.

There is a standard to replace video cable with a new WiFi.

https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi ... fied-wigig

If you have a choice of running long video cable or wirelessly connecting video devices to each other, I would assume that wireless would win. Especially if it comes standard with the device.

In any case, the keyword is 30 feet. The last 30 feet connection should and could be wireless. So, with the wired outlet at every wall of the living room and every bedroom., this is achievable with maximum flexibility of the placement of APs.

KlangFool
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

user5027 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:16 am The conduit tips reminded me of our experience. We reconstructed our 1 story home to a 2 story in 1988. At the time we considered having a central vac and I ran the piping and installed the wall hose connections. We never installed the vac. Fast forward a few years and the kids wanted ethernet in their rooms for their computers. I used the abandoned piping to run cat 5 from the basement to the attic and drop into the bedroom closets. Not sure why I ran the pipe to the attic, but am glad I did. :idea:
This brings back memories as well! When we moved into our house in 1990, we got phone jacks installed for two incoming phone lines, one for voice and one for data (via an acoustic coupler at first!)

Fast forward about ten years, and my husband had arranged for cables connecting his computer and my computer in our respective studies, both on the first floor. His computer was near where the router/modem was. Mine got connected by his fishing cable from his computer through unfinished basement ceiling below us to my computer. I still remember how tricky that blind fishing operation was.

Fast forward a few more years and my husband decided to wire a connection to our older daughter's bedroom, directly above his study. He had some sort of very flat cable that he ran from the router/modem setup near his computer out the window of his study to the outside of the house and then in through her window directly above and into her computer.

Fast forward just a few more years and we went to wifi everywhere in the house, quite blissfully. The days of blindly fishing cables or running them out and in windows were over. He occasionally tweaked the setup but it was all pretty transparent and "just worked" as far as we could tell.

Unfortunately, a few years after his death, the signal became somewhat flakey in some of my favorite parts of our large home. My younger daughter researched the issue and installed a very nice "mesh" system with several esthetically pleasing stations strategically placed around the house and I am a happy camper once again. It seems to be some kind of relay arrangement. All I know is that there are no cables (beyond the one that comes into the house to a nearby router/modem setup) and there was no fishing involved. And it just works, once again.