Please suggest easy vacation spots near Munich

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FedGuy

Please suggest easy vacation spots near Munich

Post by FedGuy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm going to be in Munich for a wedding this spring. I'm hoping to take about a week and a half (maybe two weeks) around the wedding to travel. I strongly prefer exploring cities, love taking the train, don't drive, and prefer to avoid flying given the logistics involved with getting to and from airports, and .

I've already been to most of the cities in Germany that are of interest to me. Can anyone else suggest other destinations that might work? I don't plan to stick around Munich except for one or two days around the wedding.

livesoft

Re: Please suggest easy vacation spots near Munich

Post by livesoft » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:36 pm

All my recommendations would be away from cities. For example, go to Oberstdorf.

Heidelberg is a train ride away, but so are all German cities. And add Austrian cities to the list, too. Even Paris is an overnight train ride away. Prague? Budapest? Vienna? Rome?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:25 pm

FedGuy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:33 pm
I've already been to most of the cities in Germany that are of interest to me.

If you have not booked your flights yet you could just book your return flight from some other major city that might be of interest to you.

If you don't want to fly you could get to a LOT of different cities by train, especially if you stop at several places for a day or two along the way.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:47 pm

Heading to Munich in August for a week long conference. We’ve never been to Germany and would like some of the same advice.

Interested in extending our stay for a few days to explore nearby areas too.

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm not sure what you are looking for because there are no other cities near Munich.

So if you really mean near Munich I recommend driving the Deutsche Aplenstrasse extending to Salzburg. I find Garmisch and Ludwig's castles to be the least interesting part of the route so there's a lot more to see.
https://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home

If you mean cities there's Vienna, Prague, Budapest, and Bucharest all accessible by train from Munich along with Zurich, Luzern, and Geneva. Switzerland too.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:58 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:54 pm
I'm not sure what you are looking for because there are no other cities near Munich.

So if you really mean near Munich I recommend driving the Deutsche Aplenstrasse extending to Salzburg. I find Garmisch and Ludwig's castles to be the least interesting part of the route so there's a lot more to see.

If you mean cities there's Vienna, Prague, Budapest, and Bucharest all accessible by train from Munich along with Zurich, Luzern, and Geneva. Switzerland too.
Another vote for Salzburg where I spent a rainy day last year. If you are a Sound of Music fan, it is a definite must! It is a two-hour train ride from Munich. There is a Bayern state train daily pass that is very affordable.

I've heard good things about the Grossglockner Alpine Road (but I haven't been there).

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:28 pm

FedGuy:

If you want to understand the importance of winning World War II, visit Dachau on the edge of Munich.

Joe McCain, the brother of Senator John McCain, described it this way:
"I stood in the center of Dachau for an entire day, about 15 years ago, trying to comprehend how this could have happened. I had gone there on a side trip from Munich, vaguely curious about this Dachau. I soon became engulfed in the enormity of what had occurred there nestled in this middle and working class neighborhood. How could human beings do this to other human beings, hear their cries, their pleas, their terror, their pain, and continue without apparently even wincing?"
Best wishes and Happy Holiday!
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The great game of life is not about money; it is about doing your best to join the battle to build anew ourselves, our communities, our nation, and our world."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Salzburg is very pretty, though quite touristy. It's about 90 minutes away, and you can take the (very slightly slower) regional trains using the cheap "Bayern-Ticket." Heidelberg is also pretty (again, quite touristy) but it's 3 hrs by train.

Northern Bavaria/Franconia makes for a nice contrast with the area around Munich - different in cuisine, culture, and language from southern Bavaria. Bamberg and Regensburg (2.5 hrs and 1.5 hrs by train, respectively) are two of the most beautiful cities in Germany, and neither is overrun by tourists. Both have great architecture, and it's surrounded by fantastic nature, including the Danube. Regensburg is close to one of Germany's most beautiful nature spots: the Danube Gorge near Kelheim (search Tripadvisor or the web for Weltenburger Enge). Weltenburg has a monastery with great beer, you get to it via a stunningly scenic boat ride from Kelheim. It's also a great walk. Cycling along the Danube is also fantastic. Regensburg is quite close to Munich airport (take the train to Freising), so it makes a logical last stop before you get on the plane.

+1 to Taylor's recommendation for Dachau. (Keep in mind though that this was primarily a concentration camp for political prisoners and "undesirables" but not mainly for Jews; the large-scale extermination of the Holocaust was carried out further east in occupied territory, out of sight of ordinary Germans.)
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:40 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:28 pm
FedGuy:

If you want to understand the importance of winning World War II, visit Dachau on the edge of Munich.
Taylor is right of course. You can get there by S-Bahn and city bus. There are some textual displays at Dachau but they are minimized. The best way to see Dachau is with a guided tour. With a guide you want about 3 hours at Dachau. I think seeing evidence and talking about the atrocities add something in addition to reading about it. For example you will see a row of two story suburban houses backing onto a wall with large upstairs bedroom windows looking out over Dachau. Were those houses there in WW II? The answer is yes which you might not even think about unless you see it and ask.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:42 pm

We enjoyed Mittenwald... 65 miles from Munich via train.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/bavarian- ... ng-capital

on a trip several years ago. One of our party is a violinist and researched what to see. Fascinating if you or a traveling party member plays a stringed instrument. Allow at least one day... try out a Gasthaus.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:43 pm

I agree with Salzburg and Dachau. You'll be forever changed by a visit to Dachau. There's an S-Bahn train that takes 20 minutes to get to Dachau then a bus to get to the camp.

In Munich the English Garden park is huge and very interesting. Eat an outdoor lunch while listening to a traditional German band.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:54 pm

It would be easier to recommend if you said what types of things are interesting to you.

anyway, my list:

- Zugspitze via the cog railway from Garmisch. Beautiful views over Austria and Germany and the Alps, at least if it's not foggy/cloudy (check first).

- Nuremberg for WWII history, especially the war crimes trials. There is a terrific documentation center that is text heavy, but tells you how the trials worked, what the evidence was, what happened to those convicted, etc. See the film Judgement at Nuremberg first.

-Dachau, as others have suggested.

- Salzburg, as others have suggested.

Good luck. G

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:11 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:54 pm
It would be easier to recommend if you said what types of things are interesting to you.

anyway, my list:

- Zugspitze via the cog railway from Garmisch. Beautiful views over Austria and Germany and the Alps, at least if it's not foggy/cloudy (check first).

- Nuremberg for WWII history, especially the war crimes trials. There is a terrific documentation center that is text heavy, but tells you how the trials worked, what the evidence was, what happened to those convicted, etc. See the film Judgement at Nuremberg first.

-Dachau, as others have suggested.

- Salzburg, as others have suggested.

Good luck. G
I agree with Nuremberg, and would add the Nazi Party Rally Grounds there, to see the scale of some of the Nazi structures.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Look into the Aqua Dome, just west of Innsbruck in the Otztal Valley. Massive thermal spa complex in the Alps.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:27 pm

I’ve been to Dachau. We lucked out with timing and got the free 2 hr English tour. Very good although very eerie.

Lots of castles near Munich. I enjoyed Salzburg. Rothenburg is an overnight trip due to the train changes and longer ride but worth a visit. Vienna also requires at least a night since the train is a good 4 hrs.

I’ve never been in the summer.

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:29 pm

an_asker wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:58 pm
stan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Another vote for Salzburg where I spent a rainy day last year. If you are a Sound of Music fan, it is a definite must! It is a two-hour train ride from Munich. There is a Bayern state train daily pass that is very affordable.

I've heard good things about the Grossglockner Alpine Road (but I haven't been there).
Another vote for Salzburg. Great city and you don't need a car. Go to the castle with the water fountains, can't remember the name. We had lots of fun hanging out at the beer garden, touring the fortress and just wandering around.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:16 pm

Zugspitze if you like mountains, Regensburg, Nuremberg, Salzburg

Topic Author
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:27 pm

Thanks for all the great responses so far! You've given me a lot to think about.

Just to clarify, I won't be using Munich as a base of operations. I have to be there on a specific day for a wedding, but I was thinking that I might fly in to some other city up to a week earlier, spend a day or two there, then visit other cities on the way to Munich, then, after the wedding, continue away from Munich for up to a week before flying home.

One of my colleagues is strongly pushing Slovenia and Croatia. Are those reachable by train? I'm happy to spend the better part of a day on a train; it's when the trip approaches 24 hours on a train that I start to reconsider. Of course, if there are intermediate stops worth half a day or more to break up the trip, that makes things a lot easier

Thanks again.

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:50 am

Early spring, I'd go someplace that would have better weather. Madrid or Seville or perhaps Portugal or Italy.

I was also going to mention Croatia. To answer your question, you would definitely want to fly to Croatia or Slovenia. The short hop flights are inexpensive.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:13 am

campy2010 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:50 am
Early spring, I'd go someplace that would have better weather. Madrid or Seville or perhaps Portugal or Italy.

I was also going to mention Croatia. To answer your question, you would definitely want to fly to Croatia or Slovenia. The short hop flights are inexpensive.
You bring up a good point about the weather. As I live in FL, any cold weather impacts my plans adversely. So, OP needs to definitely take that into consideration depending on where he/she is from. I would suggest trains over flights - a good way to see the countryside(s).

One thing I forgot to mention about Salzburg - as I now see that most have recommended it - is that it rains a lot over there. So, if you plan to be there, plan yourself a couple of days so you get a decent rain free window.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:30 am

Day trip to Salzburg, Austria (train or car), see the house where Mozart grew up, have Vienna style coffee and desserts.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:32 am

FedGuy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:27 pm
Thanks for all the great responses so far! You've given me a lot to think about.

Just to clarify, I won't be using Munich as a base of operations. I have to be there on a specific day for a wedding, but I was thinking that I might fly in to some other city up to a week earlier, spend a day or two there, then visit other cities on the way to Munich, then, after the wedding, continue away from Munich for up to a week before flying home.

One of my colleagues is strongly pushing Slovenia and Croatia. Are those reachable by train? I'm happy to spend the better part of a day on a train; it's when the trip approaches 24 hours on a train that I start to reconsider. Of course, if there are intermediate stops worth half a day or more to break up the trip, that makes things a lot easier

Thanks again.
Croatia and Slovenia are great places to visit, but not overly train friendly especially if you don't like adventure.
Here is the passenger train service source for everything:
https://www.seat61.com/

Some of the most interesting sites in Croatia are islands so ferrys are an option.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 pm

We spent a few nights in Bacharach (sp?) a couple of summers ago and really loved it. A couple of hour train ride from Munich. Right on the Middle Rhine. You can take a ferry up and down the river. Very beautiful.

Topic Author
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:17 pm

More great tips. Thanks, everyone!
stan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:32 am
Some of the most interesting sites in Croatia are islands so ferrys are an option.
Is there a particular ferry service you'd recommend, or a website to assist with planning? I hear the warnings about train travel but generally try to avoid any flight where I'll spend more time getting to, or being in, the airport than I will in the air. Is there some kind of long distance ferry or coastal cruise operator that would make sense as a way to travel through Croatia?

Thanks again.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:05 am

I lived in Germany way back in the 1970s, when I was in the Air Force and afterwards. One year was in Augsburg, which is one of the oldest cities in Germany and lots to see, IMHO. One place I used to like to visit in the area was Lindau, on Lake Constance (the Bodensee). Don't know what it is like now, but it was a summer resort town for the locals. Every afternoon there were concerts in a bandstand on the harbor.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:17 am

Slovenia and Croatia are both lovely. But you're looking at about 7-9 hours on the train, one way.

bberris

Post by bberris » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:33 am

The town near Munich's airport, Freising is a cheap, peaceful, and charming place to spend a day before your flight.

bberris

Post by bberris » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:38 am

You can easily get to the Austrian and Italian alps by a few hours train with great hiking on well-marked trails.