Have you switched from Android to iPhone? What were the pluses and minuses?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LookinAround

Have you switched from Android to iPhone? What were the pluses and minuses?

Post by LookinAround »

I've always had Android phones since the smartphone market hit. I love 'em. But I'm looking at new cars. The 2020 BMW Series-4 hits all my requirements EXCEPT it only supports Apple Carplay not Android Auto. I know
  • BMW will start supporting Android Auto in their 2021 models (but I don't like the 2021 BMW body change sneak peeks I've seen in auto mags)
  • A very recent BMW announcement says Android Auto will also be an upgradeable feature for select 2020 models - but the Series-4 is not one of them. ARGGH! :( )
So I'm considering if I'm willing to switch phones. Android support for an addon SD-card is a feature I'd miss. Other then that, what features would I miss moving from Android to iPhone (Samsung 10 to iPhone 11)? As I understand it, I can still use apps below - but are there any limitations or diffs on the ios versions?
  • Google Maps and Waze for Navigation
  • Google Photos
  • Google Drive
Once upon a time, i know if you were on a call with the iPhone you couldn't switch to any other screen or app. Is that still true? Anything I might miss switching to iPhone? Anything you liked better in iPhone? What did you miss from Android?

/* EDIT */
And should it make a difference / any impact using an iPhone along using an Android tablet?
Last edited by LookinAround on Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheez-It Guy

Re: Have you switched from Android to iPhone? What were the pluses and minuses?

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

LookinAround wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 am Once upon a time, i know if you were on a call with the iPhone you couldn't switch to any other screen or app. Is that still true?
I've only ever used iPhones, so I can't address most of your questions. However, regarding the quote above, this is certainly no longer a limitation, if it ever was.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:09 am
LookinAround wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 am Once upon a time, i know if you were on a call with the iPhone you couldn't switch to any other screen or app. Is that still true?
[/quote

Isn’t this in regards to a car? So the above would be a no-no. At least as far as common sense goes.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Shallowpockets wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:13 am
[/quote

Isn’t this in regards to a car? So the above would be a no-no. At least as far as common sense goes.
While the OP’s decision is prompted by the car purchase, isn’t it safe to assume there’s only a single phone in use, and the screen switch question as well as others apply to overall phone usage?
Topic Author
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

Shallowpockets wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:13 am
[/quote

Yes, buying the phone is for use in a car. But not exclusive for use in a car! :D
tsohg

Post by tsohg »

I switched from an Android phone to an iPhone 6s 4 or 5 years ago. The main driver for my decision was integration with OS X-- I use a Macbook Pro for work.

I've been very happy with it. It's still going strong. I use the iOS g-suite apps (docs, drive, gmail and sheets mainly) every day. They work well.

I hear great things about Apple CarPlay.
wander

Post by wander »

LookinAround wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 am Once upon a time, i know if you were on a call with the iPhone you couldn't switch to any other screen or app. Is that still true? Anything I might miss switching to iPhone? Anything you liked better in iPhone? What did you miss from Android?
No, that's not true anymore. You can call someone and still be browsing the internet at the same time.

It depends on how often you attach a device to your phone for extra capabilities. I own a software defined radio that only Android supports it. Android gives you more options and software developers give Android phone a lot of additional featues beyond a normal smart phone.
I switched to Iphone anyway because my spouse likes its simplicity but I still keep my old Android phone as a small tablet for cases when I need functions that Iphone does not offer. I don't think I miss anything because the Iphone is very reliable.
Apple is pushing software regularly while, with Android, it depends on manufactures.
yohac

Post by yohac »

The only annoyance for me was the lack of visible navigation buttons. But a quick Google search and you know what to do. Plus Android is headed that way anyway. Haven't run into any app limitations.
Watty

Post by Watty »

LookinAround wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 am What did you miss from Android?
I use an Android phone so I may be mistaken but don't all the current iPhones require the bluetooth earphones instead of the plug in ones?

Those can be expensive and easy to lose and they would be another thing to keep charged.
wander

Post by wander »

Watty wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:43 am
I use an Android phone so I may be mistaken but don't all the current iPhones require the bluetooth earphones instead of the plug in ones?

Those can be expensive and easy to lose and they would be another thing to keep charged.
No, you still can plug in (with different connector).
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Apple sells wired adapters for headphones

Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MMX62AM/A
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

I switched a couple years ago. My thoughts:

1. Being in two ecosystems (Apple and Android) means two App Stores and buying apps twice.
2. Multiple power cords since not shared unless you are using cordless charger.
3. Fewer apps for Apple
4. I use both Car Play and Android Auto. Many more problems with Car Play. Car Play sometimes doesn’t recognize my iPhone and crashes with Google maps.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Freefun wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:53 am

Apple sells wired adapters for headphones

Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MMX62AM/A
That is interesting. I had seen the headlines about them dropping the headphone jack and the hype about the bluetooth earplugs and assumed that you had to use them. That is one of the reasons I would not have even considered buying an iPhone. I bet a lot of people have that misunderstanding and that is costing Apple a lot of sales.
doug1022

Post by doug1022 »

Conversely, I am considering moving from iPhone (long time user) to Android based purely on the cost of ownership. My household has five iphones and I simply can't justify the cost. That said, I love the simplicity, usability and elegance of the iphone. I will miss it.
mystiq

Post by mystiq »

Android is about the open eco system and cross functionality. All of it is open so people can build all sort of apps and all sort of phones are available. iPhone has a much tighter control over hardware and software so its a seamless experience. Once you are in iGarden you would not miss outside world for sure. Its like traveling to a beautiful resort where all is available by resort owner or a city with various vendors to sell different exp. In the end its your pref. One thing though for sure is 4 year old iPhone would run much smoother than 2 year old android. Thats my personal experience after Samsung Galaxy who would start crying after 2 year and iPhone 7 is still running solid smooth.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

LookinAround wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 am Once upon a time, i know if you were on a call with the iPhone you couldn't switch to any other screen or app. Is that still true? Anything I might miss switching to iPhone? Anything you liked better in iPhone? What did you miss from Android?
I've used iPhones since the very early days - there has never been any such limitation. I think you might be getting it confused with a limitation of CDMA networks - with Verizon and Sprint phones (iPhone or Android) you could not make a phone call and use cellular data at the same time. That limitation is now gone as long as you're on their 4G LTE networks.

Google Maps and the other apps work just fine on iOS. Generally speaking Google apps aren't as closely integrated into iOS as the Apple equivalents. For example, with iOS 13 CarPlay has a nice split-screen view that shows audio controls without requiring you to switch apps. But it only works, at least for now, with Apple Maps. Fortunately Apple Maps is massively improved since the notorious early days, and for in-car navigation I now prefer it to Google Maps.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

doug1022 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:46 am Conversely, I am considering moving from iPhone (long time user) to Android based purely on the cost of ownership. My household has five iphones and I simply can't justify the cost. That said, I love the simplicity, usability and elegance of the iphone. I will miss it.
Since you would prefer iPhone, I would make sure there is a cost difference over the life of the phone. We have used both. We have had to abandon the Android products well before the Apple products. We have also been able to get some decent gift cards ($200-300) that brought down the cost of the new phone.
mystiq

Post by mystiq »

Katietsu wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:35 pm
doug1022 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:46 am Conversely, I am considering moving from iPhone (long time user) to Android based purely on the cost of ownership. My household has five iphones and I simply can't justify the cost. That said, I love the simplicity, usability and elegance of the iphone. I will miss it.
Since you would prefer iPhone, I would make sure there is a cost difference over the life of the phone. We have used both. We have had to abandon the Android products well before the Apple products. We have also been able to get some decent gift cards ($200-300) that brought down the cost of the new phone.
Another good offer would be from Xfinity which takes off cool $250 from any iPhone. iPhone 11 with 250 off would be lot better than Android phones for sure.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

For a while, I was using a dedicated Android phone in my car because CarPlay didn't yet support Google Maps or Waze. My primary phone was an iPhone.

Along those lines - one option for you is to get an older iPhone that you keep in your car. Don't get a SIM card for it, just tether it to your Android. You can download/use the limited apps on that phone (nav, music streaming) and it won't be much of a hassle.

Because making & receiving calls still worked over Bluetooth, it wasn't that big of a deal for me to make/receive calls from one phone and have every other function work from the other phone. I'm assuming that would be the case for you as well.

That way, you can keep your Android phone as your primary phone if you'd like.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Watty wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 am That is interesting. I had seen the headlines about them dropping the headphone jack and the hype about the bluetooth earplugs and assumed that you had to use them. That is one of the reasons I would not have even considered buying an iPhone. I bet a lot of people have that misunderstanding and that is costing Apple a lot of sales.
When you buy a new iPhone (XS versions and 11 versions), the corded headphones included now have only the lightning end.

If you like corded headphones, the iPhone corded pods don't require an adapter. But, the adapter works great for headphones with the 3.5mm jack.

As for switching back and forth, it is quite easy. You could have your favorite iPhone set up and your favorite Android set up and just swap the SIM back and forth to whichever you want on a daily basis.

I have OneDrive, Google Photos and Apple Photos on my iPhone. I have Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps. Mix and match your favorites. I use Outlook for work email. Yahoo Email for personal. Put your Office apps on.

I do like us all on iPhones as we can use iCloud to back up all 5 phones and iPads and a MacBook Pro. There is some synergy to being on the same platform.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I switched from Android to Iphone when the 6s came out, about 4 years ago, then switched back to Android after about 1 year. I really missed my Android phones. To me what I missed the most was the seamless integration with Google apps. I am a heavy user of gmail/google docs/google drive/music/etc both at home and work and while I can make those work on Iphone they work so much better on android platform. Also I like to have access to my files and to be able to drag and drop them into a file system. Can't do that in an iphone. While icloud somewhat improved access to files, I simply hated the itunes experience and hope I never have to use that thing anymore (we still own a few ipads and imac though..).

Another big deterrent to me, besides the lack of headphone jack already mentioned is the lack of SD card slot on iphones. That is a very useful feature and can be a very cheap way to upgrade internal memory, but of course apple would like to sell us their overpriced ram.

I should say that the android experience gets a bad reputation because android defines a very broad spectrum of phones, ranging from $50 to over $2,000. We typically pay up to have a decent phone. We are not looking to save money by using android phones, it's simply what works best for us. Wife just upgraded her phone to the new galaxy S10+ which was $1,250. That's more than the flagship iphone 11 pro, and I am sure the android will have a much lower resale value.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I've switched back and forth. I just go with the best deal. I buy my phones unlocked, and just go with the best deal.
I like Google Fi, so I have a Pixel for that. I have songs on itunes, and will keep my iphone just for the songs.

Service on the two phones costs me sbout $400/yr in total, mostly for the Fi.

The Fi has hot spot capability, which is convenient, and works in quite a few countries as is. I walked of the plane in London,
and it just worked, I didn't have to do anything.

The Fi also can call via wifi automatically. My wife's iPhone 11 has that feature, but it says that you need
to call to enable it. Haven't done so. She does very little calling, and almost never uses data outside of wireless, so
her service costs $100/year, so we have $500/yr devoted in cellphone service for 3 phones. This does not count the cost of the phones.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Well, I’m a former Android user, both phone and tablet, and have switched to Apple products on both fronts. I’m a big fan of open-source software, so on a philosophical level I admire the Android ecosystem. However, on a practical level, I have found the Apple products to be more reliable. In addition, since Android vendors are free to customize the OS to their hearts’ content, it makes it awfully hard to dig up answers to your support issues that are relevant to your particular product.

From a purely cost perspective, the Apple products are indeed more expensive for similar feature sets. But my Apple gear works, and I have very little hassle with it. That is worth at least some extra expense to me. YMMV.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

mystiq wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:44 am Android is about the open eco system and cross functionality. All of it is open so people can build all sort of apps and all sort of phones are available. iPhone has a much tighter control over hardware and software so its a seamless experience. Once you are in iGarden you would not miss outside world for sure. Its like traveling to a beautiful resort where all is available by resort owner or a city with various vendors to sell different exp. In the end its your pref. One thing though for sure is 4 year old iPhone would run much smoother than 2 year old android. Thats my personal experience after Samsung Galaxy who would start crying after 2 year and iPhone 7 is still running solid smooth.
Unless you were using both phone simultaneously, is it possible you are comparing an older version of Android phone with a 2 year less old version of Iphone?

The last 2 samsung phones I've upgraded at the 2 year mark have been solely due to better cameras. I have young kids and the camera is by far the most used functionality of the phone.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

Several folks have mentioned the ability to use an SD card (micro SD) in an Android phone for additional storage. Keep in mind that's dependent on your phone actually having a micro SD slot. Some do, some don't. If that's important to you, check the specs before buying.
JakeyLee

Post by JakeyLee »

I was a proud Android man for many years.. I owned the first two original nexus phones.. Made my way to the Galaxies, HTC , etc. my issues were the same with every phone: battery life became inconsistent within the first year. Hardware problems with the charging ports on my Smasung devices. My biggest issue was how fragmented the Android operating system was for most different phones, manufactures. OS updates don't seem to support the different models for more than a couple years.

I finally sucked it up and became a"lemming". I overpaid for my first I-phone (6) and never looked back. Is it better? That's subjective. But I love the battery life. I love the support. It's smooth and seamless. I'd still be using it if I hadn't been given an IPhone 8 ..and since I get more years out of each iPhone, I actually think my cost of ownership is cheaper. Good luck. You are not going to be blown away by the iPhone. Those days are gone. All the top end phones sort of do the same things now. BUT, you won't be disappointed. My two cents.
JDofAZ

Post by JDofAZ »

Off the top of my head:

Pluses:
  • Devices typically get 4 to 5 years of OS updates from the year the device was introduced (this is huge in my opinion)
  • You will be able to buy accessories almost anywhere
  • Texting other iOS people has extra features beyond sms
  • Google will know less about you, unless you install all the google apps
Minuses:
  • Notifications are very basic compared to android
  • There is no app drawer, everything you install is on the desktop
  • There are widgets but only if you swipe left on the homescreen, ie you can't have your calendar widget on the homescreen
  • Apple pushes their way hard, for example you can't change the default browser from Safari
  • non-standard charger, everything else has moved to usb-c (even macbooks!)
  • Less free software, Apple charges developers more and forbids GPL, so there is nothing like https://f-droid.org/
I don't use Google Photos anymore, so it might have changed, but iOS doesn't let non-Apple apps run in the background while the phone screen is off. So if you are backing up a large number of photos to google photos you have to leave the screen on (I can't remember if I had to disable sleep or not). I had the same issue downloading a recording in the TiVo app.

Google has all their apps on iOS, so it is pretty easy to stay in their ecosystem, but the other way is harder. If you get sucked into an iMessage group you can never leave the platform.

I can echo the other comments about car play bugs, I've had issues with Pandora freezing and I've observed others have that problem with amazon music and spotify, less so with Apple Music. I don't use car play often except for long trips since I don't want to hassle with taking my phone out of my pocket and plugging it in.

iOS 13 introduced a new carplay homescreen in iOS that shows the map side by side with the music app, afaik android auto doesn't do that yet.
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

Similar experience here, i was a long time android user and switched to iphone 8 when there was bogo promotion. Most android phones stop support after a couple years, some of the banking apps I had were “behind” in terms of functionality on android since most professionals have iphones, battery usually crapped out after 2 years, and i also finally realized with android it might be cheaper up front but after a year+ your phone is basically worthless while iphones still hold some value.

At the end if u want a simply hassleless experience iphone is great, but if you are adventurous and want a lot of customization stick with android.

JakeyLee wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:51 pm I was a proud Android man for many years.. I owned the first two original nexus phones.. Made my way to the Galaxies, HTC , etc. my issues were the same with every phone: battery life became inconsistent within the first year. Hardware problems with the charging ports on my Smasung devices. My biggest issue was how fragmented the Android operating system was for most different phones, manufactures. OS updates don't seem to support the different models for more than a couple years.

I finally sucked it up and became a"lemming". I overpaid for my first I-phone (6) and never looked back. Is it better? That's subjective. But I love the battery life. I love the support. It's smooth and seamless. I'd still be using it if I hadn't been given an IPhone 8 ..and since I get more years out of each iPhone, I actually think my cost of ownership is cheaper. Good luck. You are not going to be blown away by the iPhone. Those days are gone. All the top end phones sort of do the same things now. BUT, you won't be disappointed. My two cents.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

The only thing I miss on my Android phone was the easy ability to silence it for a set amount of time. Very handy if you are they type who forgets to un-silence your phone after a play or whatever. I haven't found that capability on iPhone, which seems odd since most useful features seem to eventually migrate to the other platform.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

michaelingp wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:01 pm The only thing I miss on my Android phone was the easy ability to silence it for a set amount of time. Very handy if you are they type who forgets to un-silence your phone after a play or whatever. I haven't found that capability on iPhone, which seems odd since most useful features seem to eventually migrate to the other platform.
Are you saying that you want to silence your iPhone for a set amount of time? Use the Do Not Disturb feature. The easiest way is via the Control Center (pull down from top right of screen). Hold finger on Do Not Disturb button (moon). You will have several choices for how long to remain undisturbed, including one hour, until this evening, until I leave this location, and more.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204321
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

wageoghe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Are you saying that you want to silence your iPhone for a set amount of time? Use the Do Not Disturb feature. The easiest way is via the Control Center (pull down from top right of screen). Hold finger on Do Not Disturb button (moon). You will have several choices for how long to remain undisturbed, including one hour, until this evening, until I leave this location, and more.

Thanks! But there was a reason I added "easily" to my post. The moon thingy is not intuitive to me. I got it to work once, but can't get it to work again. Is a white moon on dark do not disturb, or is the blue moon on white do not disturb, or does the color mean anything? On Android this just worked.

I do appreciate the tip though. BH's are so smart!
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

michaelingp wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:08 pm
wageoghe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks! But there was a reason I added "easily" to my post. The moon thingy is not intuitive to me. I got it to work once, but can't get it to work again. Is a white moon on dark do not disturb, or is the blue moon on white do not disturb, or does the color mean anything? On Android this just worked.

I do appreciate the tip though. BH's are so smart!
Long press on the moon from the Control Center. It will give you options for how long not to disturb.
If you do it again, the option you selected will be checked, so it will be obvious what state you're in.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

boogiehead wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:02 pm Similar experience here, i was a long time android user and switched to iphone 8 when there was bogo promotion. Most android phones stop support after a couple years, some of the banking apps I had were “behind” in terms of functionality on android since most professionals have iphones, battery usually crapped out after 2 years, and i also finally realized with android it might be cheaper up front but after a year+ your phone is basically worthless while iphones still hold some value.

At the end if u want a simply hassleless experience iphone is great, but if you are adventurous and want a lot of customization stick with android.

JakeyLee wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:51 pm I was a proud Android man for many years.. I owned the first two original nexus phones.. Made my way to the Galaxies, HTC , etc. my issues were the same with every phone: battery life became inconsistent within the first year. Hardware problems with the charging ports on my Smasung devices. My biggest issue was how fragmented the Android operating system was for most different phones, manufactures. OS updates don't seem to support the different models for more than a couple years.

Similar experience with me in terms of using the Android OS. I use an MVNO and usually purchased a phone that was a couple of versions behind the latest offerings. The MVNOs did not provide over the air updates to the Android OS and when I went to the manufacturers website to try to update to a more recent OS it ultimately failed (Samsung). My banking app failed to work with the older Android OS and I decided to switch to an iPhone.

Using my method of buying older phones with a iPhone with a MVNO solved my problem. OS updates were directly available from Apple and I never looked back and my banking apps worked. I suspect if I used one of the major carriers and replaced my phone every year or two I would not have had these issues with Android, but I did not want to take that path.
Last edited by Copper John on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

As a life long iphone user when my daughter decided to buy a Samsung galaxy I hated that thing. It just felt more complicated to use. I think you had to dial in to get your voice mail vs iphone where you just play it or even read it. Finally my daughter decided to switch back.

My use of the phone is pretty straightforward. Nothing crazy. Iphones work best for me.
AlphalphaMale

Post by AlphalphaMale »

One plus is I find CarPlay much better than AndroidAuto, to my surprise. Also if you have an IPad and an iPhone they sync passwords, bookmarks, mail, etc between them.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

Why has the Samsung Galaxy become the default Android phone? I only hear complaints about them. They are super expensive yet randomly explode. People still buy them. Why? My inexpensive Motorola phones have had none of the issues mentioned in this thread, although my wife did get a dud a few years back that only lasted about 18 months. My coworkers have plenty of problems with iPhones as well.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

FI4LIFE wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:51 pm Why has the Samsung Galaxy become the default Android phone? I only hear complaints about them. They are super expensive yet randomly explode. People still buy them. Why? My inexpensive Motorola phones have had none of the issues mentioned in this thread, although my wife did get a dud a few years back that only lasted about 18 months. My coworkers have plenty of problems with iPhones as well.
+1

I've had iPhones and I've had Galaxys. My Moto G6 that I paid $200 for is hands down the best phone I've ever owned. (the camera could be a little better, though.)
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Started off on Apple through several generations, then switched to Android a few years ago.
Why?
Mainly both are same song, different verse. Similar but not so different that you can't adapt going from one to the other.
Because I can buy about 3-4 of the Android phones I use for the price of the latest iPhone. $$$
I have yet to find a unique feature from Apple that either I couldn't live without or for which there is an equivalent or near-equivalent on Android.
Android is an OS - the differentiation is the hardware among the manufacturers and, sometimes, unique apps - similar in that regard to Windows. Not so much with Apple since they own both the OS and the hardware.

Cheers
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

El Greco wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:03 am
FI4LIFE wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:51 pm Why has the Samsung Galaxy become the default Android phone? I only hear complaints about them. They are super expensive yet randomly explode. People still buy them. Why? My inexpensive Motorola phones have had none of the issues mentioned in this thread, although my wife did get a dud a few years back that only lasted about 18 months. My coworkers have plenty of problems with iPhones as well.
+1

I've had iPhones and I've had Galaxys. My Moto G6 that I paid $200 for is hands down the best phone I've ever owned. (the camera could be a little better, though.)
+1 My family is all currently on Moto G5+, but my daughter is about to find out that she has a G7 under the tree this morning to replace her G5+
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dcabler wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:32 am
El Greco wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:03 am
+1

+1 My family is all currently on Moto G5+, but my daughter is about to find out that she has a G7 under the tree this morning to replace her G5+
On a MotoG6 as well, zero issues or concerns whatsoever in 1.5yrs. Wife's employer provides her phone, after issues with her iphone she asked to get an android and they gave her a G7 power; so far, so good.
Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 »

I think for most people it boils down to four issues:

1) Do you view technology as something worth paying a premium? If so , some
don't mind paying Apple gobs of money . I have one of each for work and personal use , if I had a choice I wouldn't pay Apple for extra chargers, phones that slow down and force you to buy a new one every few years, etc.

2) Are you invested in the Apple or Google ecosystems? Or does it even matter?

3) iMessage. I have an iPhone for personal use, while family is all on them and being the oddball out for a while with group chats on an Android it got old . Work email doesn't matter as much on Android or iPhone.

4)I don't like work having access to my personal mobile .
TrustButVerifying

Post by TrustButVerifying »

bluebolt wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:10 pm For a while, I was using a dedicated Android phone in my car because CarPlay didn't yet support Google Maps or Waze. My primary phone was an iPhone.

Along those lines - one option for you is to get an older iPhone that you keep in your car. Don't get a SIM card for it, just tether it to your Android. You can download/use the limited apps on that phone (nav, music streaming) and it won't be much of a hassle.

Because making & receiving calls still worked over Bluetooth, it wasn't that big of a deal for me to make/receive calls from one phone and have every other function work from the other phone. I'm assuming that would be the case for you as well.

Another less expensive option would be getting an Ipod Touch for around $200. The latest model supports the current IOS and thus will be future proofed for a number of years, probably longer than you will own the car.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

TrustButVerifying wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:48 pm
bluebolt wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:10 pm For a while, I was using a dedicated Android phone in my car because CarPlay didn't yet support Google Maps or Waze. My primary phone was an iPhone.

Another less expensive option would be getting an Ipod Touch for around $200. The latest model supports the current IOS and thus will be future proofed for a number of years, probably longer than you will own the car.
I would be interested if anyone has experience with in-car location services with the iPod Touch and whether it works well enough for turn-by-turn driving directions.
Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 »

Wouldn't you need a connection to the internet to use an ipod touch for directions in a car ? You would still have to tether it .
bluebolt wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:23 pm
TrustButVerifying wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:48 pm

I would be interested if anyone has experience with in-car location services with the iPod Touch and whether it works well enough for turn-by-turn driving directions.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op

I had Samsung Galaxy 3 and Samsung Note 4 switched to Iphone 6 in Sept 2017 and just recently updated to Iphone 6S ($99 32GB) capacity because the 6 will not be updated to IOS 13.

-Found both of my android phones to be hot, even though turned off tracking, every where I traveled as long as I was near a celltower, the android phone turned back on. Found batteries were always hot.

-pleased with Apple switch (Walmart Straight Talk)

The reason why I changed phone was the cell provider. I had Verizon directly with the Samsung Note4 and switched over to T-Mobile but found, it was not carried in upstate NY where my property was.

-The iphone 6 (staight talk) brought me back to Verizon with current data plan of 25GB ($48 per month)
Last edited by retire2022 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Jcraz13 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:29 pm Wouldn't you need a connection to the internet to use an ipod touch for directions in a car ? You would still have to tether it .
You would certainly have to tether it. But, I don't believe the iPod Touch has a GPS chip and uses wifi triangulation to determine location. So, my question related more to whether that works in practice while you're driving around in a car.
dual

Post by dual »

No one has mentioned the 35% "Apple tax" for online purchases on iOS devices. I buy a lot ebooks and it is a PITA that I cannot buy them on the Kindle app since Amazon will not pay the tax. I have to switch to a browser to buy the book.
TrustButVerifying

Post by TrustButVerifying »

bluebolt wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:42 pm
Jcraz13 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:29 pm Wouldn't you need a connection to the internet to use an ipod touch for directions in a car ? You would still have to tether it .
You would certainly have to tether it. But, I don't believe the iPod Touch has a GPS chip and uses wifi triangulation to determine location. So, my question related more to whether that works in practice while you're driving around in a car.
I was unsuccessful attempting to use an IPad with my Audi which supports both CarPlay and AndroidAuto. I believe that only the IPhones have the appropriate software for CarPlay. Sorry about the misdirection.

If you switch your phone to Apple, you would have to purchase/learn Apple's version of any Android apps you currently use. I do like Bluebolt's suggestion of getting an IPhone without a SIM card and keeping it in the car. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work but recent past experience leads me to suggest that if you go this route, make sure the IPhone is returnable. :happy
02nz

Post by 02nz »

TrustButVerifying wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:16 pm
I was unsuccessful attempting to use an IPad with my Audi which supports both CarPlay and AndroidAuto. I believe that only the IPhones have the appropriate software for CarPlay. Sorry about the misdirection.

If you switch your phone to Apple, you would have to purchase/learn Apple's version of any Android apps you currently use. I do like Bluebolt's suggestion of getting an IPhone without a SIM card and keeping it in the car. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work but recent past experience leads me to suggest that if you go this route, make sure the IPhone is returnable. :happy
Correct, only iPhone supports CarPlay. An iPod Touch will not work even halfway decently for turn-by-turn, because it lacks true GPS. (iPad models with cellular data do have GPS, but still no CarPlay.)

I would recommend getting a used iPhone, probably 6S or later. You can use it with a bare-bones plan like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-50-Mo-Red-Po ... 3196831828

Or just tether. Either way, download offline maps in Google Maps.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

02nz wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:31 pm
TrustButVerifying wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Correct, only iPhone supports CarPlay. An iPod Touch will not work even halfway decently for turn-by-turn, because it lacks true GPS. (iPad models with cellular data do have GPS, but still no CarPlay.)

I would recommend getting a used iPhone, probably 6S or later. You can use it with a bare-bones plan like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-50-Mo-Red-Po ... 3196831828

Or just tether. Either way, download offline maps in Google Maps.
Op if you agree with going with 02NZ with Iphone 6s you may want consider Walmart Iphone 6S for $99 or consider any inexpensive car GPS, I have a vacation home where cell service is non-existent and prefer a regular car gps.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Tal ... pace-Gray/