iPhone battery replacement question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Barefootgirl
Posts: 2279
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Barefootgirl »

I had read that once the battery strength hits 80% or lower on an iPhone, battery replacement is possible. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to inquire about a battery replacement. They quickly tried to convince me that I need a new phone (I already have a new phone, this is my backup phone)...so I asked about the 80% rule and showed them battery strength indicator. They said I could make an appointment and they would run diagnostics and replace the battery, but only if their diagnostics test shows that it can be replaced.

Would their diagnostics test show a different battery strength than what is showing on my phone?

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
KlangFool
Posts: 17683
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by KlangFool »

Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:37 pm I had read that once the battery strength hits 80% or lower on an iPhone, battery replacement is possible. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to inquire about a battery replacement. They quickly tried to convince me that I need a new phone (I already have a new phone, this is my backup phone)...so I asked about the 80% rule and showed them battery strength indicator. They said I could make an appointment and they would run diagnostics and replace the battery, but only if their diagnostics test shows that it can be replaced.

Would their diagnostics test show a different battery strength than what is showing on my phone?

Thanks
Barefootgirl,

Don't replace the iPhone battery. Buy an iPhone case with a built-in battery. It is $10 to $20. It is cheaper and better.

KlangFool
dcdowden
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 am

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by dcdowden »

Our iPhones recently reached the two year mark, and the batteries were clearly not holding up anymore for a full day. So I went to our local CPR (Cell Phone Repair) place and had them replace the batteries for $35 each. I figure we are good for another couple years now before we need to replace them altogether before Apple discontinues support. I dropped them off and came back an hour or so later. Works great.No need to make an appointment at your Apple store.
HomeStretch
Posts: 4978
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by HomeStretch »

I believe Apple’s battery % shown on your phone is accurate. The Apple store relies on it! Do you have an Apple store nearby that can do the battery replacement? New battery on my old phone is great. It will breathe new life into your old iphone.
02nz
Posts: 5555
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by 02nz »

You can replace the battery any time you want, at 80% battery health or even 100%. Apple will charge you $50 I believe. Maybe you mean that Apple will replace the battery for free if it falls under 80% battery health during the one-year warranty period?

BTW while Best Buy is authorized to provide warranty service for Apple, I'd probably deal with Apple directly.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz
Posts: 5555
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by 02nz »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:40 pm Don't replace the iPhone battery. Buy an iPhone case with a built-in battery. It is $10 to $20. It is cheaper and better.
Or buy a battery bank that works with any device, as 1) you're not weighed down by the battery case when you don't need it and 2) it's still useful when you upgrade to another device, or with other devices you already have. Battery banks are also generally cheaper than device-specific battery cases. Not to mention, some of those battery cases are really ugly, with that battery hump.
User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I don't understand what Best Buy is talking about. You CAN replace the battery at 99% if you want to.

I replaced a battery myself in an iPhone 5 last year with a kit from iFixIt. Still working well.
michaelingp
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by michaelingp »

Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:37 pm They said I could make an appointment and they would run diagnostics and replace the battery, but only if their diagnostics test shows that it can be replaced.

I don't have any direct knowledge of Best Buy business practices, but I believe the reason for this is to control customers' expectations. A lot of people see their iPhone battery is not making it through the day and assume they need a new battery. If they pay for a new battery, and it doesn't solve the problem (which it probably won't), they will be really unhappy, much unhappier than if Best Buy just refused to replace the battery in the first place.

I'm not saying this is a great business practice, just that I understand the reasoning. The truth is that depending on how you use your iPhone, its battery may not last a day, or even half a day. Try navigating with Google maps with the display on continuously and the phone not plugged in to your car charger, and see how long the battery lasts.
Momus
Posts: 1023
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Momus »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:40 pm
Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:37 pm I had read that once the battery strength hits 80% or lower on an iPhone, battery replacement is possible. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to inquire about a battery replacement. They quickly tried to convince me that I need a new phone (I already have a new phone, this is my backup phone)...so I asked about the 80% rule and showed them battery strength indicator. They said I could make an appointment and they would run diagnostics and replace the battery, but only if their diagnostics test shows that it can be replaced.

Would their diagnostics test show a different battery strength than what is showing on my phone?

Thanks
Barefootgirl,

Don't replace the iPhone battery. Buy an iPhone case with a built-in battery. It is $10 to $20. It is cheaper and better.

KlangFool
Don't do this. Once iPhone detects your internal battery sucks <80%, it starts to throttle to crap speed. If you just add on external battery without disabling throttling option, you are still running slow. Disable throttling above all else.

You can replace the battery yourself it's easy and you need to stop their automatic throttling too. https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-stop ... g-iphones/

It's their way to keep you from buying a new phone every 2 years. Planned obsolescence for the noobs/technologically challenged.
Katietsu
Posts: 3983
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Katietsu »

I believe the 80% level is set by Apple for getting a battery replacement during the warranty period or getting benefits under Apple Care.

My experience with both the Apple Store and Best Buy is that they have always stated that they would need to run the diagnostics first and then confirm with you the repair. This has been true even for seemingly straight forward things a battery replacement or a cracked screen replacement. I assume the main reason is to verify that the perceived problem is all it is. I do know people who were denied a battery replacement a 5S or SE because water damage was found during the diagnostics.

Are you having trouble with the phone? I am using a phone that is only 14 months old and is at 80% capacity but am not experiencing any performance issues yet. My last phone though when it got to about 80% capacity starting behaving erratically. The charge % would just jump from 70 to 14 while I was watching. And I looked at doing a battery replacement myself. It reminded me of the car guys who think everyone can safely replace their own brake pads- not for me.
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3664
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by CyclingDuo »

Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:37 pm I had read that once the battery strength hits 80% or lower on an iPhone, battery replacement is possible. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to inquire about a battery replacement. They quickly tried to convince me that I need a new phone (I already have a new phone, this is my backup phone)...so I asked about the 80% rule and showed them battery strength indicator. They said I could make an appointment and they would run diagnostics and replace the battery, but only if their diagnostics test shows that it can be replaced.

Would their diagnostics test show a different battery strength than what is showing on my phone?

Thanks
Why throw money at an old phone if you are only using it as a "backup"? You could pay 99 cents a month for 50 months (a little over 4 years) for iCloud to backup your current phone for the same price as a replacement battery.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
02nz
Posts: 5555
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by 02nz »

CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:56 am
Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:37 pm I had read that once the battery strength hits 80% or lower on an iPhone, battery replacement is possible. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to inquire about a battery replacement. They quickly tried to convince me that I need a new phone (I already have a new phone, this is my backup phone)...so I asked about the 80% rule and showed them battery strength indicator. They said I could make an appointment and they would run diagnostics and replace the battery, but only if their diagnostics test shows that it can be replaced.

Would their diagnostics test show a different battery strength than what is showing on my phone?

Thanks
Why throw money at an old phone if you are only using it as a "backup"? You could pay 99 cents a month for 50 months (a little over 4 years) for iCloud to backup your current phone for the same price as a replacement battery.
I think OP meant "backup" as in a spare phone, not in the sense of iCloud backups.
Topic Author
Barefootgirl
Posts: 2279
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Barefootgirl »

It's not a backup for storage. It's a backup phone as in a second phone (For Redundancy Purposes)
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3664
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by CyclingDuo »

02nz wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:03 am
CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:56 am
Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:37 pm I had read that once the battery strength hits 80% or lower on an iPhone, battery replacement is possible. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to inquire about a battery replacement. They quickly tried to convince me that I need a new phone (I already have a new phone, this is my backup phone)...so I asked about the 80% rule and showed them battery strength indicator. They said I could make an appointment and they would run diagnostics and replace the battery, but only if their diagnostics test shows that it can be replaced.

Would their diagnostics test show a different battery strength than what is showing on my phone?

Thanks
Why throw money at an old phone if you are only using it as a "backup"? You could pay 99 cents a month for 50 months (a little over 4 years) for iCloud to backup your current phone for the same price as a replacement battery.
I think OP meant "backup" as in a spare phone, not in the sense of iCloud backups.
Yes, I know.

Why not just cash flow a brand new phone, or receive warranty repair/replacement if the current "new" phone craps out? Restoring from the iCloud backup takes a few minutes and one is off and running again with the new device. In other words, very little down time. Perhaps the OP needs the back up phone due to using it for a business in case the current "new" phone gets damaged or has issues, but for the average consumer the need to keep and maintain a 2nd phone as a backup seems an odd use of resources. Even for a business, it is only about an hour's time involvement to buy a new phone, or have the current one repaired under warranty and restore all of your data from the iCloud. Even if the repair required the phone staying at Apple for repair, they provide a loaner phone (which again, you just restore from your iCloud backup so the loaner has everything on it that your "new" phone being repaired has on it).
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
Boglegirl81
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Boglegirl81 »

Apple replaced the battery in my 3 year old iPhone 7 recently (battery was down to 78%) for $50. It’s like a whole new phone now. They tried to sell me a new phone too, but there’s nothing wrong with this one now that I have a new battery. I was able to make an appointment for that same day, and they had the phone for less than an hour.
Piehole
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Piehole »

Boglegirl81 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:44 am Apple replaced the battery in my 3 year old iPhone 7 recently (battery was down to 78%) for $50. It’s like a whole new phone now. They tried to sell me a new phone too, but there’s nothing wrong with this one now that I have a new battery. I was able to make an appointment for that same day, and they had the phone for less than an hour.
I just did the same thing for my iPhone 6. Same day appointment, 1:15 minutes, $52 out the door. Like a brand new phone.
"Everything we want, is on the other side of fear" - George Addair
Kagord
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Kagord »

Just as an FYI, Apple is trying to close the loop on anybody but an Apple store replacing a battery.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/08 ... eplacement.

I'm a firm supporter of the "Right to Repair"
tenkuky
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by tenkuky »

Looking at the above few posters, what is the sweet spot of deciding to extend current IPhone vs. buy a newer one?
I have a 5S that is garbage on battery life but otherwise I like it.
I would spring for an 8 next year ordinarily, but don't mind getting another 2 years out of this phone (fine otherwise) with a battery change.
Thoughts? I would likely DIY vs. taking to store.
marcwd
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by marcwd »

If the phone is becoming unusable because of the battery but you otherwise like it, then replace the battery now. There’s an IPhone 8 replacement on the way next spring.
02nz
Posts: 5555
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by 02nz »

Kagord wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:24 pm Just as an FYI, Apple is trying to close the loop on anybody but an Apple store replacing a battery.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/08 ... eplacement.

I'm a firm supporter of the "Right to Repair"
Leaving the "right to repair" question aside, the Apple authorized repair network is a lot more than Apple stores. Includes Best Buy which is where OP is considering going.
Last edited by 02nz on Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tenkuky
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by tenkuky »

marcwd wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:33 pm If the phone is becoming unusable because of the battery but you otherwise like it, then replace the battery now. There’s an IPhone 8 replacement on the way next spring.
Thanks! It's the weirdest thing... it says 35% one minute and then just shuts down if I open an app. Charge it up, says 36-37%, unplug and drops to 5, then 1 then shuts down.
Only way it holds a charge through 1/2 the day is overnight charging.
I'll spring for the battery now.
marcwd
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by marcwd »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:41 pm
marcwd wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:33 pm If the phone is becoming unusable because of the battery but you otherwise like it, then replace the battery now. There’s an IPhone 8 replacement on the way next spring.
Thanks! It's the weirdest thing... it says 35% one minute and then just shuts down if I open an app. Charge it up, says 36-37%, unplug and drops to 5, then 1 then shuts down.
Only way it holds a charge through 1/2 the day is overnight charging.
I'll spring for the battery now.
Yup, a new battery will put you back in business.
marcwd
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by marcwd »

Kagord wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:24 pm Just as an FYI, Apple is trying to close the loop on anybody but an Apple store replacing a battery.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/08 ... eplacement.

I'm a firm supporter of the "Right to Repair"
From my reading, it’s only the battery Health sensor that may be affected. In my experience, that’s pretty worthless. So a nonissue.
Kagord
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Kagord »

We'll, it's probably a non issue if you swap out the battery in your own phone and understand the consequences of that.

Going to a mall fixya shop to do this, and them saying, "I'll do it, but you get errors popping up from it", isn't really a good thing.
marcwd
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by marcwd »

Kagord wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:17 pm We'll, it's probably a non issue if you swap out the battery in your own phone and understand the consequences of that.

Going to a mall fixya shop to do this, and them saying, "I'll do it, but you get errors popping up from it", isn't really a good thing.
Depends on the “errors.” I wouldn’t consider the loss of the battery health sensor to be an error.
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3664
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by CyclingDuo »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:25 pm Looking at the above few posters, what is the sweet spot of deciding to extend current IPhone vs. buy a newer one?
I have a 5S that is garbage on battery life but otherwise I like it.
I would spring for an 8 next year ordinarily, but don't mind getting another 2 years out of this phone (fine otherwise) with a battery change.
Thoughts? I would likely DIY vs. taking to store.
Well, the 5s will not take the new iOS upgrade (13) and is rather long in the tooth at this point in time (came out 6 years ago). It's great you have gotten that much time out of your device. The lowest model that will support the new software would be the 6s and the SE.

If it were me, I would say it is time to pony up to take advantage of more features via hardware and software (iOS and Apps) to cover you for the next 4-5 years. You can do that for 30 cents a day (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 4 years) or 24 cents (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 5 years). Or bump up to 41 cents a day for an XR for 4 years, or 33 cents a day for 5 years. Or go whole hog iPhone 11 for 48 cents a day for 4 years, or 38 cents for 5 years.

How many coins per day can you see going to improving your user experience over the next 4 to 5 years?

$0.24
$0.30
$0.33
$0.38
$0.41
$0.48

:sharebeer
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
tenkuky
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by tenkuky »

CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:38 pm
tenkuky wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:25 pm Looking at the above few posters, what is the sweet spot of deciding to extend current IPhone vs. buy a newer one?
I have a 5S that is garbage on battery life but otherwise I like it.
I would spring for an 8 next year ordinarily, but don't mind getting another 2 years out of this phone (fine otherwise) with a battery change.
Thoughts? I would likely DIY vs. taking to store.
Well, the 5s will not take the new iOS upgrade (13) and is rather long in the tooth at this point in time (came out 6 years ago). It's great you have gotten that much time out of your device. The lowest model that will support the new software would be the 6s and the SE.

If it were me, I would say it is time to pony up to take advantage of more features via hardware and software (iOS and Apps) to cover you for the next 4-5 years. You can do that for 30 cents a day (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 4 years) or 24 cents (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 5 years). Or bump up to 41 cents a day for an XR for 4 years, or 33 cents a day for 5 years. Or go whole hog iPhone 11 for 48 cents a day for 4 years, or 38 cents for 5 years.

How many coins per day can you see going to improving your user experience over the next 4 to 5 years?

$0.24
$0.30
$0.33
$0.38
$0.41
$0.48

:sharebeer
Way to put it in perspective and serves me right for being uber stingy. I can spring for 26 cents (I'll get an 8 and keep for another 4 years, got my 5s in 2015).
marcwd
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by marcwd »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:05 pm
CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:38 pm
tenkuky wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:25 pm Looking at the above few posters, what is the sweet spot of deciding to extend current IPhone vs. buy a newer one?
I have a 5S that is garbage on battery life but otherwise I like it.
I would spring for an 8 next year ordinarily, but don't mind getting another 2 years out of this phone (fine otherwise) with a battery change.
Thoughts? I would likely DIY vs. taking to store.
Well, the 5s will not take the new iOS upgrade (13) and is rather long in the tooth at this point in time (came out 6 years ago). It's great you have gotten that much time out of your device. The lowest model that will support the new software would be the 6s and the SE.

If it were me, I would say it is time to pony up to take advantage of more features via hardware and software (iOS and Apps) to cover you for the next 4-5 years. You can do that for 30 cents a day (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 4 years) or 24 cents (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 5 years). Or bump up to 41 cents a day for an XR for 4 years, or 33 cents a day for 5 years. Or go whole hog iPhone 11 for 48 cents a day for 4 years, or 38 cents for 5 years.

How many coins per day can you see going to improving your user experience over the next 4 to 5 years?

$0.24
$0.30
$0.33
$0.38
$0.41
$0.48

:sharebeer
Way to put it in perspective and serves me right for being uber stingy. I can spring for 26 cents (I'll get an 8 and keep for another 4 years, got my 5s in 2015).
The iPhone 8 is already getting a little long in the tooth. As I mentioned, from my reading there is likely an 8 replacement coming out in the spring. Same case and screen size. Updated guts. Possibly lower in price than the 8. If you want a phone you’ll keep for 4 years, it’s better to get a very new model when you do upgrade.
User avatar
wander
Posts: 3250
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by wander »

02nz wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:51 pm
KlangFool wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:40 pm Don't replace the iPhone battery. Buy an iPhone case with a built-in battery. It is $10 to $20. It is cheaper and better.
Or buy a battery bank that works with any device, as 1) you're not weighed down by the battery case when you don't need it and 2) it's still useful when you upgrade to another device, or with other devices you already have. Battery banks are also generally cheaper than device-specific battery cases. Not to mention, some of those battery cases are really ugly, with that battery hump.
+1. I always have a battery bank in my bagpack, it's very convenient.
Lee_WSP
Posts: 3219
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Lee_WSP »

CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:38 pm [
If it were me, I would say it is time to pony up to take advantage of more features via hardware and software (iOS and Apps) to cover you for the next 4-5 years. You can do that for 30 cents a day (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 4 years) or 24 cents (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 5 years). Or bump up to 41 cents a day for an XR for 4 years, or 33 cents a day for 5 years. Or go whole hog iPhone 11 for 48 cents a day for 4 years, or 38 cents for 5 years.

How many coins per day can you see going to improving your user experience over the next 4 to 5 years?

$0.24
$0.30
$0.33
$0.38
$0.41
$0.48

:sharebeer
What's the math for two year upgrades and selling the old device? :sharebeer
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3664
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by CyclingDuo »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:29 am
CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:38 pm [
If it were me, I would say it is time to pony up to take advantage of more features via hardware and software (iOS and Apps) to cover you for the next 4-5 years. You can do that for 30 cents a day (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 4 years) or 24 cents (cost of an iPhone 8 and using it for 5 years). Or bump up to 41 cents a day for an XR for 4 years, or 33 cents a day for 5 years. Or go whole hog iPhone 11 for 48 cents a day for 4 years, or 38 cents for 5 years.

How many coins per day can you see going to improving your user experience over the next 4 to 5 years?

$0.24
$0.30
$0.33
$0.38
$0.41
$0.48

:sharebeer
What's the math for two year upgrades and selling the old device? :sharebeer
Hey, if you can find a sucker who wants to by an iPhone 8 after 4 or 5 years of use - go for it. Street value is probably $140-150 right now and at the end of 4 or 5 years will be a nice recycle bin piece at that point.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
Lee_WSP
Posts: 3219
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Lee_WSP »

CyclingDuo wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 am
Hey, if you can find a sucker who wants to by an iPhone 8 after 4 or 5 years of use - go for it. Street value is probably $140-150 right now and at the end of 4 or 5 years will be a nice recycle bin piece at that point.
Not my question, but looks like they sell for $50-$390

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Complete=1

I was just wondering what the "daily cost" would be if we bought a 12 or 12 pro max and then sold it for the residual value if we upgraded in two years instead of the divide purchase price by 4x365. I suppose I could do the math too.... but I was lazy.

Alright, so if it retains a $400 value after 2 years (comparing XS max to 12 pro max) then the daily cost is ~$1.10
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3664
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by CyclingDuo »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:53 pm
CyclingDuo wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 am
Hey, if you can find a sucker who wants to by an iPhone 8 after 4 or 5 years of use - go for it. Street value is probably $140-150 right now and at the end of 4 or 5 years will be a nice recycle bin piece at that point.
Not my question, but looks like they sell for $50-$390

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Complete=1

I was just wondering what the "daily cost" would be if we bought a 12 or 12 pro max and then sold it for the residual value if we upgraded in two years instead of the divide purchase price by 4x365. I suppose I could do the math too.... but I was lazy.

Alright, so if it retains a $400 value after 2 years (comparing XS max to 12 pro max) then the daily cost is ~$1.10
Yup. 12 Pro Max starts at $1099; 12 starts at $699. $1.50 per day for the Max; $.96 per day for the 12 in terms of 2 years (all base configurations, pre-tax, no resale at the end).

Most people's phone plan costs way more than the device. 8-)
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
User avatar
Leif
Posts: 3030
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: iPhone battery replacement question

Post by Leif »

Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:37 pm I had read that once the battery strength hits 80% or lower on an iPhone, battery replacement is possible. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to inquire about a battery replacement. They quickly tried to convince me that I need a new phone (I already have a new phone, this is my backup phone)...so I asked about the 80% rule and showed them battery strength indicator. They said I could make an appointment and they would run diagnostics and replace the battery, but only if their diagnostics test shows that it can be replaced.

Would their diagnostics test show a different battery strength than what is showing on my phone?

Thanks
My one and only experience with Best Buy and iPhone did not turn out well. Even 'tho I had a condition of 92% I had a swelling battery. This is less than 2 years after Apple replaced the last battery. My phone would work for about 8 hours, with a small drop in battery charge from 100% to 95%. Then it would drop off a cliff to 5%. Apple was closed at the time so they suggested I take it to Best Buy. Best Buy said they would not touch it. Too dangerous I was told. Anyway, near that time Apple opened up. They changed my battery and now it is fine.

I'm saying I would not be concern unless you find it cannot hold a charge for as long as you need it. Now that I did an emergency replace of my battery I'm reluctant to upgrade to a new phone from my iPhone 6+ (2014),
Post Reply