Great experience with backcountry.com

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
protagonist

Great experience with backcountry.com

Post by protagonist » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:19 pm

I just received excellent service from backcountry.com regarding a lost shipment.
It was shipped by UPS, standard delivery.
UPS handed my package over to USPS for delivery...it should have been delivered it 2 days ago.
I called the post office. Response: Not our fault, it wasn't on the pallet, call UPS to sort it out.
I called UPS. Response: That's a USPS tracking number. We are not responsible.

I called Backcountry. A rep answered the phone promptly and didn't hand me off to anybody else. I explained the situation.

His response: "Not a problem. I'll ship another one out today next day air delivery. You don't have to pay for shipping and if you ever get the first one you can keep it."

It's rare to be treated so well by a large retailer these days.

I am passing this on as a recommendation, in case you need to buy the sort of stuff they sell.
Last edited by protagonist on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carson

Re: Great experience with backcountry.com

Post by Carson » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Love backcountry.com, they are great.

I have even more love for their returns warehouse site 'geartrade.com' The searching interface is pretty lousy, but if you know what you are looking for, you can find amazing items. If the seller is listed as backcountry, that means its coming from their returns center.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:58 pm

My friend ordered a monitor on Amazon and it was delayed for some shipping reason. Anyway, he thought it was lost, so he called Amazon and they said ok, we'll ship you another one. After a few days, he got two monitors. I thought this was relevant for some reason.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Backcountry.com recently caught a ton of flack for trying to sue another company by claiming that the word backcountry was their IP. They tucked tail after all of the online backlash.

Ive had amazon ship me another item when the first got stuck somewhere in the shipping process. Eventually the first one arrived and I sent it back. It was a $300 power tool.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:35 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:04 pm
Backcountry.com recently caught a ton of flack for trying to sue another company by claiming that the word backcountry was their IP. They tucked tail after all of the online backlash.
I stopped using them for this reason. There's better places to buy gear anyway.

praxis

Post by praxis » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:15 pm

vitaflo wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:35 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Care to share?

Alaska_Skeeter

Post by Alaska_Skeeter » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:32 pm

I just got a Granite Gear backpack from them via Amazon with quick shipping to Alaska.

I tried Amazon Prime trial and was disappointed...weeks to get shipping to Alaska ,
half the time they sent to my physical address via UPS and
half the time they sent via USPS to my physical address instead of my PO Box and
those packages were returned by USPS to Amazon.

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:51 pm

Try returning anything to Backcountry. They take miles longer than any other company to return your :moneybag

spae

Post by spae » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:39 am

Last edited by spae on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:32 am

vitaflo wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
I no longer use them for this reason also. If you google this up, you will find a lot of material on it. The word "backcountry" belongs to all of us. Due to the many thousands of people boycotting them, this has put a real dent in their business and is depressing sales.

As a result, and in an effort to bring back customers, they have been drastically cutting prices. And I expect their customer service department is lot less busy than it used to be.

Back when I was using them from time to time, I thought that REI provided way better service, and usually better prices.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:39 am

praxis wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:15 pm
vitaflo wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
Care to share?
If you have a local non REI gear shop thats staffed by skiers/climbers/hikers/bikers thats a good start. Moosejaw.com is another good place that hasn't sued the town of moosejaw as far as I know.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:41 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:39 am
praxis wrote:
vitaflo wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
Care to share?
If you have a local non REI gear shop thats staffed by skiers/climbers/hikers/bikers thats a good start. Moosejaw.com is another good place that hasn't sued the town of moosejaw as far as I know.
Moosejaw is owned by Walmart by the way...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:54 am

protagonist wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:19 pm
I just received excellent service from backcountry.com regarding a lost shipment.
It was shipped by UPS, standard delivery.
UPS handed my package over to USPS for delivery...it should have been delivered it 2 days ago.
I called the post office. Response: Not our fault, it wasn't on the pallet, call UPS to sort it out.
I called UPS. Response: That's a USPS tracking number. We are not responsible.

I called Backcountry. A rep answered the phone promptly and didn't hand me off to anybody else. I explained the situation.

His response: "Not a problem. I'll ship another one out today next day air delivery. You don't have to pay for shipping and if you ever get the first one you can keep it."

It's rare to be treated so well by a large retailer these days.

I am passing this on as a recommendation, in case you need to buy the sort of stuff they sell.
You think that's good, go to their warehouse and buy in person.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

investor997

Post by investor997 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Never buy anything from backcountry.com without scraping some additional points off a shopping portal. They frequently have 10 points/$ offers with several airlines: https://www.cashbackmonitor.com/cashbac ... ckcountry/

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:22 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:41 am
barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:39 am
praxis wrote:
vitaflo wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
Care to share?
Moosejaw is owned by Walmart by the way...
Good to know. I hadnt actually bought anything from them since the acquisition but it certainly bumps them down my list now, probably to below backcountry.com. Not boycott worthy however.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Watch for 20% off sales with free shipping at Backcountry if shopping for new but oversize/over-length items in the off season.
Haven't bought there in years, due to using the Backpackinglight.com gear swap to buy used gear.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:34 pm

heyyou wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:04 pm
Watch for 20% off sales with free shipping at Backcountry if shopping for new but oversize/over-length items in the off season.
Backcountry also generally gets a pretty solid cashback using Rakuten; ~15% around Black Friday and other major shopping days. I have shopped the site quite a bit, but never actually purchased anything as I always have found what I am looking for cheaper.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:27 pm

I'm shopping for a Patagonia Torrentshell rain jacket to stuff in my tackle bag. Backcountry has one marked down from $129 to $89.98.

Patagonia has them marked down right this minute - with your choice of size and color - for $64.50.

:)

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:39 pm

ohai wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:58 pm
My friend ordered a monitor on Amazon and it was delayed for some shipping reason. Anyway, he thought it was lost, so he called Amazon and they said ok, we'll ship you another one. After a few days, he got two monitors. I thought this was relevant for some reason.
I had a similar experience. Sending things back is a hassle. It wasn't Amazon's fault, but it was still something I didn't want to do. The next time something didn't arrive on time, I called Amazon and said "Can you do me a favor. Jerk the carrier's chain. I think that if you do that, I'll have my item in 48 hours, I won't have to report a lost shipment, you won't have to send a second item, and I won't have to return something I didn't pay for and don't want. If it doesn't show up in a couple of days, I'll call you back and report a lost shipment." They said "sure." Things worked like a charm; item delivered, no duplicate shipment, no hassle of a return.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:04 am

palaheel wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:39 pm
ohai wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:58 pm
I had a similar experience. Sending things back is a hassle. It wasn't Amazon's fault, but it was still something I didn't want to do. The next time something didn't arrive on time, I called Amazon and said "Can you do me a favor. Jerk the carrier's chain. I think that if you do that, I'll have my item in 48 hours, I won't have to report a lost shipment, you won't have to send a second item, and I won't have to return something I didn't pay for and don't want. If it doesn't show up in a couple of days, I'll call you back and report a lost shipment." They said "sure." Things worked like a charm; item delivered, no duplicate shipment, no hassle of a return.
I sent something back to Amazon and was told at the UPS store that, in their experience, my CC account should be credited by Amazon the same day.
My reply: "They couldn't possibly receive the item and inspect it that quickly. How do they know that I am shipping the right item back and that it is intact?"
I would guess that, for the sake of efficiency, they don't even bother checking...perhaps it is cheaper (as well as good PR) to accept a certain amount of fraud and just refund everyone's money immediately regardless.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:04 am

protagonist wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:04 am
I would guess that, for the sake of efficiency, they don't even bother checking...perhaps it is cheaper (as well as good PR) to accept a certain amount of fraud and just refund everyone's money immediately regardless.
I've several times initiated a return to Amazon, and at the end I'm told "we're issuing your refund, but you do not need to return the item".

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:50 am

If you want QUALITY check out Alpine Luddites.

He makes reproduction stuff like the Chouinard Creag Dubh...
https://alpine-luddites.myshopify.com/p ... black-crag

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:04 am

phxjcc wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:50 am
If you want QUALITY check out Alpine Luddites.

He makes reproduction stuff like the Chouinard Creag Dubh...
https://alpine-luddites.myshopify.com/p ... black-crag
VERY cool.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:09 pm

Yup.
Good guy.
Will customize your stuff.

Life is too short for me to use packs made for kids to carry books to school....from their car pool ride.