Places to Go Out When You Don't Want to Spend Much or Any Money

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Just sayin...

Re: Places to Go Out When You Don't Want to Spend Much or Any Money

Post by Just sayin... »

In our city, there are several free Christmas activities (i.e. tree lighting, caroling, etc.) that are fun and entertaining. There are also several free trails and parks for hiking/mountain biking, as well as nice walks along the river. There are a few public tennis courts if that’s your thing, as well as a several free concerts. If you search, there are lots of open-mics and free jams that can be very entertaining. It’s all about what you enjoy...
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

drawpoker wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:20 pm
AlphaLess wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:06 pm What is the purpose of this thread?

Without an objective, this is not actionable.
Purpose is to share knowledge of how to enjoy life without overspending. What can be more BH than that?

Actionable? Maybe if you don't act on any of the suggestions, well, yeah, not actionable for U :happy
Right there is your fallacy.

You don't have to go anywhere to enjoy life.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

nguy44 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:51 pm The most important thing for all of these places, including the one the OP mentioned: DRESS NICELY, look pleasant, and do not make noise. Don't look like a homeless person, or someone who just got out of bed, did not bathe, shave, and brush their teeth and threw whatever they found in the dark on before going out.
Yep. I've found some people place way too much importance (IMO) on appearance. You have to look the part if you want certain transactions to go smoothly.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

nguy44 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:51 pm The most important thing for all of these places, including the one the OP mentioned: DRESS NICELY, look pleasant, and do not make noise. Don't look like a homeless person, or someone who just got out of bed, did not bathe, shave, and brush their teeth and threw whatever they found in the dark on before going out.
What a terrible thing to say. To imply that a homeless person has LESS rights to be in a place that is COMPLETELY and ENTIRELY free to EVERYONE is saying something about the general mentality of the public.

I used to work in a fancy building that had an adjacent covered plaza. The plaza had food for the corporate drones: available at $10-$25 a pop, for lunch. It had a lot of turists coming in and going: the covered plaza had a fountain, and some basic statues, and you could enter the MTA train from there.

Occasionally, I would hang out there on Sundays. There was a completely different scene. Firstly, *MOST* restaurants were closed, and only 1 or 2 were open: one had french fries and such food, and the other had coffee (Maybe Dunkey Donuts).

On Sundays, it was common to see house-less people gather around. They were nice. They were not dressed nice, or smelled nice, or put their best clothes. But they gathered around a couple of tables, put their plastic bags or luggage things to the side.

One of them would pull out a chess set. Another would pull out a checkers set. Or some cards. They would buy a dollar coffee, sometimes sharing among themselves. Talk among themselves, joke around, and enjoy the company.

But the moment that really stood out in my mind was when one of them took out like a 15 inch tube TV. They plugged the TV into a nearby power outlet, and gathered around the table, like a little family, warming up their hands by brushing, drinking their coffee and looking into that tiny screen. That moment was just magical. I almost felt like joining them for company but I did not.

Please have some compassion towards other people.
It does not hurt to be nice.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Alaric wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:35 pm I can't believe no one has said this yet - I assume it's just too obvious - but the simplest answer is the old reliable: Go shoot rats at the public dump.

It's free, it's societally beneficial, and it sure is fun.
Very funny. Took me back to when I was about 10
years old and my father, who as a veteran had spent 3 years in New Guinea and South Pacific islands using his rifle daily, took me to our local small town dump to shoot rats with .22 caliber rifles. It was fun. But that was over 60 years ago, didn’t realize it was still done, certainly not in our large city dumps.
I would recommend reading good books, travel using your mind. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:52 pm
Yep. I've found some people place way too much importance (IMO) on appearance. You have to look the part if you want certain transactions to go smoothly.
Make sure to wear your fancy suit and rolex watch on the next convention of con artists and scammers. Makes total sense.
The Hustle, 2019: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298644/
rikki

Post by rikki »

Make art (sketch).
Cook something new and invite a friend over to share.
Research a new hike you've never done before and do it.
Read all the latest magazines in the comfiest spot at your library.
In the summer, find a swimming hole and skinny dip.
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

AlphaLess wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:54 pm
What a terrible thing to say. To imply that a homeless person has LESS rights to be in a place that is COMPLETELY and ENTIRELY free to EVERYONE is saying something about the general mentality of the public.

This has nothing to do with less rights. It has all about to do with reducing your chances of being harassed in those places by the owners.

I regulatory volunteer at homeless shelters and we have opened our homes at time to people in need of shelter. so I have plenty of compassion for them. They are just like any other people - not all of them are perfect. The reality is, in many public places, if you have a *choice* to not be perceived that way, you should not.

Please do not assume all of those things in comments, that is too easy to do in the internet.
Abe

Post by Abe »

I used to hang out at the local super market, but they closed it up.

ETA: I got first dibs on the bargain bin :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I'm lucky enough to live in a seaside town, so there is always plenty to do.

In the summer, we can grab our beach chairs, pack a lunch and some liquids, and head down to one of the beaches for the day.
In the off-season, we can still walk on the beach and enjoy the view.
We also have a nearby mountain with some nice trails and spectacular views.
The town library has terrific speakers and free movies. They have drop-in chess, too.
Pickleball is just $3 per day.
Our HOA has yoga on Sundays for free.
I've been practicing some photography lately. We have some very scenic areas nearby.

We don't actually have to be frugal, but we enjoy all of these on a regular basis.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:24 pm Since I have all the gear already: Backpacking. Generally, free with annual national/state park passes.
Ha ha, funny. When's the last time you went on a backpacking trip where you didn't buy any new gear, burn any gas, or buy any overpriced dehydrated food.

You actually have to do it quite a bit to get the price per trip down given how expensive the nice gear is. I don't think I'd ever call it free. Certainly cheaper than lots of things, but free? Seems a stretch. Especially when you start tacking on park passes, camping permits etc.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

nguy44 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:58 pm
AlphaLess wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:54 pm

This has nothing to do with less rights. It has all about to do with reducing your chances of being harassed in those places by the owners.

I regulatory volunteer at homeless shelters and we have opened our homes at time to people in need of shelter. so I have plenty of compassion for them. They are just like any other people - not all of them are perfect. The reality is, in many public places, if you have a *choice* to not be perceived that way, you should not.

Please do not assume all of those things in comments, that is too easy to do in the internet.
Wait a minute. Public places have owners? Like libraries and parks and plazas? What is next? That we owe our freedoms to some magical overlords?

Saying that you are: (a) compassionate towards homeless people, but (b) advising everyone to dress to NOT look like a homeless person in the hopes of receiving better service is severely discriminatory. Not only is it discriminatory but also conditions everyone else to be discriminatory.

What is not discriminatory is:
- dressing anyway you want,
- and when observing the homeless person being harrassed for being dressed like homeless, standing up for them and advocating for them on the spot, in real time.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

White Coat Investor wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:27 pm
livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:24 pm Since I have all the gear already: Backpacking. Generally, free with annual national/state park passes.
Ha ha, funny. When's the last time you went on a backpacking trip where you didn't buy any new gear, burn any gas, or buy any overpriced dehydrated food.

You actually have to do it quite a bit to get the price per trip down given how expensive the nice gear is. I don't think I'd ever call it free. Certainly cheaper than lots of things, but free? Seems a stretch. Especially when you start tacking on park passes, camping permits etc.
So true. However, just this past week I spent 3 nights in my tent, didn't use any of my own gas, didn't have to buy any new gear, and actually didn't even eat any dehydrated food, but it was an unusual trip for me.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

AlphaLess wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:30 pm
Wait a minute. Public places have owners? Like libraries and parks and plazas? What is next? That we owe our freedoms to some magical overlords?

Saying that you are: (a) compassionate towards homeless people, but (b) advising everyone to dress to NOT look like a homeless person in the hopes of receiving better service is severely discriminatory. Not only is it discriminatory but also conditions everyone else to be discriminatory.

- and when observing the homeless person being harrassed for being dressed like homeless, standing up for them and advocating for them on the spot, in real time.
Being in a public place does not give you the right to do whatever you want. Ever hear of this thing called "disturbing the peace?" Instead of focusing so much on you own rights, why not be considerate of the rights of others who share the share space, whether or not they are homeless.

Second, many of those place mentioned seem public, but someone is still in control. A restaurant is not a public place. A library in public, but it has rules and there are people there to enforce the rules. Same as with transportation centers.

I advocate for the homeless by getting to know them and understand the specific situations that need advocating. But I also do not hesitate to call out the homeless when they behave in a way that infringes on other peoples rights and peace. Being homeless is not a "free pass" to do anything you want in public.
celia

Post by celia »

mtmingus wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:16 am
123 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:11 pm Visit a cemetery. Normally they are quiet and other visitors generally won't disturb you.
Most of these are private properties!
So what? Some of them may have limited hours, but most of them are often open for anyone to come in and look around. As a genealogist, I often take lots of headstone photos too, then upload them to FindAGrave.com. You don't even have to transcribe/index the photos if they have geo-tags in the photos, as most cameras these days provide that. Frequent users to the website will do that for you.

That reminds me of another idea: geocaching!
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

The Bank of America "Museums on Us" program offers free admission to more than 220 institutions on the first full weekend of each month. This year, they are also offering six additional days 12/26-12/31.

https://about.bankofamerica.com/en-us/w ... JNibTWBrW0
WJW

Post by WJW »

GerryL wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:07 pm If you live in or visit a walkable city … walk.
+1
DW and I like to visit Main Streets in the various towns within an hours drive of our home and just walk around. It usually involves coffee and/or lunch but an inexpensive day nonetheless. We also take the train into NYC and there is lots to explore there at low cost.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Play games. There are several local groups here that host things like gin, pinochle, chess, bridge, scrabble, etc. for free. Or do it at a friend's house.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

nguy44 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Being in a public place does not give you the right to do whatever you want. Ever hear of this thing called "disturbing the peace?" Instead of focusing so much on you own rights, why not be considerate of the rights of others who share the share space, whether or not they are homeless.

Second, many of those place mentioned seem public, but someone is still in control. A restaurant is not a public place. A library in public, but it has rules and there are people there to enforce the rules. Same as with transportation centers.

I advocate for the homeless by getting to know them and understand the specific situations that need advocating. But I also do not hesitate to call out the homeless when they behave in a way that infringes on other peoples rights and peace. Being homeless is not a "free pass" to do anything you want in public.
Now you pretty much started comparing homeless people with borderline criminals.
SR II

Post by SR II »

sailaway wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:25 pm
sg2060 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:22 pm Tour senior housing facilities and get a free lunch. Probably need a separate phone number to deal with the marketing people hounding you. I work in the industry, so throwing that option out there.
I have enough trouble passing for my own age without trying to add a few years on to it.
Couldn't you be checking out facilities for a "loved one"?
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

local chess club
Meetup.com -- find a club you are interested in. No fee to join or use.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Many libraries offer free or discounted admission to places, often called "Discover & Go" or "Activity Pass".
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

I would add panhandling to the list. It doesn't cost anything and you can make a few bucks doing it.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

I love this thread!

+1 on the geocaching. I have done this off and on for years. Even though it’s waned in popularity, there are still plenty of well maintained caches to be had. I’m the kind of person that needs to have a purpose for being out and about, and this gives me a fun objective to help me get some steps in.
brandy

Post by brandy »

Alaric wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:35 pm I can't believe no one has said this yet - I assume it's just too obvious - but the simplest answer is the old reliable: Go shoot rats at the public dump.

It's free, it's societally beneficial, and it sure is fun.
:D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D :D
That is so funny! When I was a kid, a local dump was just down the street, a large crevasse in a steep hillside above the river and the railroad tracks. The kids would take their BB guns and 22's and go shoot the rats.

Back then, we used to swim in the river, fish it and eat those fish, and the boys went frogging at times. My brother came home with more than enough frogs to feed the family of seven.
Thanks for the memories!
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

celia wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:29 pm
mtmingus wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:16 am
123 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:11 pm Visit a cemetery. Normally they are quiet and other visitors generally won't disturb you.
Most of these are private properties!
So what? Some of them may have limited hours, but most of them are often open for anyone to come in and look around. As a genealogist, I often take lots of headstone photos too, then upload them to FindAGrave.com. You don't even have to transcribe/index the photos if they have geo-tags in the photos, as most cameras these days provide that. Frequent users to the website will do that for you.

That reminds me of another idea: geocaching!
I agree with Celia. You can make a lot of people really happy around the world by taking photos of forebears' graves for findagrave. In an extreme case, I worked with a lady in England to dig up more info on an uncle who had been murdered in Los Angeles 40 years ago. I've also done war cemeteries in various countries.
brandy

Post by brandy »

AerialWombat wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:45 am I love this thread!
+1 on the geocaching. I have done this off and on for years. Even though it’s waned in popularity, there are still plenty of well maintained caches to be had. I’m the kind of person that needs to have a purpose for being out and about, and this gives me a fun objective to help me get some steps in.
I sketch/draw/paint. Oi always have a tri-folded sheet of bond paper and a pen/pencil in my purse. The 2x3" or so spaces are big enough sketches, or open for a a larger space for more detail. I draw in waiting rooms--medical, library, anyplace I wait for more than a few minutes. The drawing can be anything, a person or crowd, furniture, architecture, etc. I also take watercolor or oil paint to local parks to paint. Sometimes I get a painting, sometimes visitors AND a painting!
My sketches aren't great, but being out, and the company always is! :happy m
tivattom

Post by tivattom »

I'd suggest attending local school performances or sporting events.

There are often holiday/spring band and choir concerts, high school theater productions, and sporting events. Most are free or charge a small entrance fee.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Checking out model homes in new developments
Playing catch with kids
Flying kites
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Near one DD there is a manatee viewing area. The manatees congregate in the area where a utility discharges warm water.

Free watching. Kids are fascinated. DD's family is going today as SIL's mother is down from the snowy north for a visit.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

tivattom wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:46 pm I'd suggest attending local school performances or sporting events.

There are often holiday/spring band and choir concerts, high school theater productions, and sporting events. Most are free or charge a small entrance fee.
Colleges also have concerts, and also music performance majors have free or extremely cheap recitals. Music is top notch, and sometimes light refreshments are provided to the attendees after the program is over.

We attend most of a granddaughter's piano recitals. Some of the students, including granddaughter, can really tickle the ivories. One student played Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody sans sheet music. Long piece, played perfectly.

Broken Man 1999
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
dm200

Post by dm200 »

GerryL wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:38 pm
drawpoker wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:17 pm I didn't see the zoo on the list.
That is what I miss most about living here in the boondocks. :( :( Not any close by.
Unfortunately, entry at many zoos is getting pretty pricey. I have long had a membership at my local zoo, but the free entry at partner zoos is no longer available.
Fortunately for us, the nearby National Zoo does not charge an admission fee :)
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:34 pm
tivattom wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:46 pm I'd suggest attending local school performances or sporting events.
Colleges also have concerts, and also music performance majors have free or extremely cheap recitals. Music is top notch, and sometimes light refreshments are provided to the attendees after the program is over.
We attend most of a granddaughter's piano recitals. Some of the students, including granddaughter, can really tickle the ivories. One student played Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody sans sheet music. Long piece, played perfectly.
Broken Man 1999
My wife is into various kinds of music - and many churches (of many denominations) have free concerts - especially at this time of year.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

It has been a few years, but in NY City - it can be "entertaining" to just ride the subway. For just a small price, you can ride indefinitely all over the city and see some things/people (for free) that you are unlikely to see anywhere else.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Go to several car dealerships and spend the day test driving cars. Dress up really well and go to expensive dealerships to drive exotic models.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Jimmie wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:58 pm Go to several car dealerships and spend the day test driving cars. Dress up really well and go to expensive dealerships to drive exotic models.
:oops:

I can see that this could be enjoyable for some folks - but not for me.

Sometimes political candidates have fundraising events where a wide variety of wonderful food is available in large quantities. I have attended many where a donation was made by a trade group that I was part of - and I paid nothing personally. Win - win! If you can "stomach" dealing with such politicians and you can find one for a very low donation required OR you can crash one - I suggest it.

Post by 123 »

If you've got a tall (enough) building in town perhaps you could go there (at least on weekdays) to ride the elevators and hear your ears pop. kind of a subtle thrill.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:21 pm I think a coffee shop can be fairly thrifty. Pay for a small coffee and people watch, read, surf the web. Get free refills too.
About every other week, I'll visit the Barnes & Noble. They have a Starbuck's and I'll usually get a coffee and sometimes a snack or cookie. Then browse books for a couple of hours.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

dm200 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:40 pm
GerryL wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:38 pm
drawpoker wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:17 pm I didn't see the zoo on the list.
That is what I miss most about living here in the boondocks. :( :( Not any close by.
Unfortunately, entry at many zoos is getting pretty pricey. I have long had a membership at my local zoo, but the free entry at partner zoos is no longer available.
Fortunately for us, the nearby National Zoo does not charge an admission fee :)
St. Louis has a free zoo, art museum, and history museum. All are very good.
kacang

Post by kacang »

If living near San Francisco, you can check out free/cheap events at https://sf.funcheap.com/
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Capricorn51 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:23 am
celia wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:31 pm

Attend a city council or other community meeting to find out what's currently going on.
for that matter, if you are near a courthouse, go listen to a trial
Why stop there? The OP led with work, so how about jail? Sure, there are probably court costs, but amortized over a long stay, they’ll be worth it.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

EddyB wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:12 am
Capricorn51 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:23 am
celia wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:31 pm

Attend a city council or other community meeting to find out what's currently going on.
for that matter, if you are near a courthouse, go listen to a trial
Why stop there? The OP led with work, so how about jail? Sure, there are probably court costs, but amortized over a long stay, they’ll be worth it.
I know this isn’t what you meant, but in my neck of the woods we have several old territorial prisons that are nifty to tour. An interesting slice of the Old West.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I am fully retired for the last 10 years, and most days 10-12 in the morning I drive to public parking areas and boat launches at 2 rivers and 2 lakes to look at boats going by, birds on those waters and simply the water while drinking coffee, eating a roll and reading the newspaper. It is very relaxing. On the drive back home I stop at stores to buy groceries or things for gardening which might add another hour.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

AlphaLess wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:42 pm
nguy44 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Now you pretty much started comparing homeless people with borderline criminals.
You’re looking for a weird fight here.

Your first move was to dismiss the whole thread and call for it to be shut down.

Then you ignored the fact that nguy44’s initial post was about private facilities (hotels), and accused him of marginalizing the homeless.

Now you’re treating a reaction to your story of homeless people disturbing the peace as if it’s the fact of their homelessness that’s being addressed, rather than their actions. There are many things that one can do in the privacy of a home that, if done in a public plaza, would interfere with others’ tranquil enjoyment of the plaza. Having a group of friends over to watch TV is one of those things.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I don't know how I didn't list this in my first post.

Many youth sporting events are free to watch. In my city, you only have to pay for JV and Varsity games. Everything below that is free to watch. I was at 2 HS basketball games this weekend. No admission charged.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Man, this thread is pretty depressing. As someone who has the entire month of December off (PTO), I feel the pain. I have been working half days most days so I'm not behind...well, mostly because otherwise I'd be bored out of my mind and probably watching TV. To be fair, I walk commute and wife takes our only car to work so I am limited to where I can easily walk (in the snow).
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Not my thing anymore, but many folks enjoy attending local High School sporting events, which are usually very low cost.

My wife enjoys participating in just about any kind of group "pot luck" event. I attend sometimes.

I have no interest in such activities/trips - but our local jurisdiction has a Seniors enrollment (nominal annual cost) and there are a lot of trips (moderate cost) offered.

Watch for free or very low cost concerts by your local Symphony orchestras. My wife and I attended such a free concert by the Washington DC National Symphony.

There are several place near us that have FREE outdoor movies every week or two.

Many employers offer discount tickets to area events.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:53 am Man, this thread is pretty depressing. As someone who has the entire month of December off (PTO), I feel the pain. I have been working half days most days so I'm not behind...well, mostly because otherwise I'd be bored out of my mind and probably watching TV. To be fair, I walk commute and wife takes our only car to work so I am limited to where I can easily walk (in the snow).
Even though I now work part-time (20 hours a week), I am glad that I am not forced (use it or lose it) to take a lot of PTO hours. Because, being part time, I can do lots of things during some weekdays without PTO, I am accumulating a lot of PTO hours. I get 117 or more PTO hours a year! The cap is 200 hours at each year end. If you have over 200 hours at the end of the year - they pay for the hours over 200 at a rate of 1/2 your hourly rate of pay. When I leave eventually, I will also be paid the same way (unless it changes). Prior to this year, the payout rate for PTO was the full hourly rate.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Although hardly "going out", I find volunteering to be a math tutor at my local Middle School one hour a week to be a good break from my normal activities.
hsmith

Post by hsmith »

EddyB wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:19 am You’re looking for a weird fight here. Your first move was to dismiss the whole thread and call for it to be shut down. Then you ignored the fact that nguy44’s initial post was about private facilities (hotels), and accused him of marginalizing the homeless. Now you’re treating a reaction to your story of homeless people disturbing the peace as if it’s the fact of their homelessness that’s being addressed, rather than their actions. There are many things that one can do in the privacy of a home that, if done in a public plaza, would interfere with others’ tranquil enjoyment of the plaza....
EddyB has a good point. In privately owned places of public accommodation (e.g., restaurants, hotels and retail businesses), the owners have the right to exclude people who are harassing paying customers or acting in a disorderly manner. Even on public streets, municipalities have the right to prohibit aggressive panhandling (though several courts have ruled that the First Amendment gives some protection to peaceful panhandling on public sidewalks and streets and in other public forums).

Some people view this as discrimination against the poor. But it is not always poor people doing the panhandling, as this news clip illustrates. https://kfor.com/2014/10/03/viral-video ... homa-city/