Lodging in Rome

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Lodging in Rome

Post by SC Anteater »

Going to Rome in February and would love some location advice or specific recommendations on where to stay. Just my spouse and I, and we're frugal travelers, so not looking for 5-star hotels or big chain hotels. Main criteria is quiet and transit accessibility. There are so many options on booking.com that it's overwhelming.
greenbldg2

Re: Lodging in Rome

Post by greenbldg2 »

I visited Rome in the fall of 2018. I also went with the frugal option in Rome and splurged in other cities in Italy where it was more cost effective (Sorrento, Capri).

Frugal option:
Hotel Nord Nuova Roma
Address: Via Giovanni Amendola, 3, 00185 Roma RM, Italy

Why? It is near the train station (Roma Termini) so you can walk your luggage a block without transportation. Easy access to multiple subway stops. Centrally located and easy to get most places. Breakfast in the hotel was good and also helped save cash. Quick eats in the morning and you're on your way to explore the city.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

The area around Termini is convenient to the trains but not very nice (understatement) and far from the primary sights. I would not stay in that area. Don’t have specific recommendations but try to stay near the Spanish Steps. Great location in the middle of everything.
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

We spent 3 days in late May at the Hotel Campo De'Fiori in Rome and I highly recommend it! The service could not have been better and the location was perfect. The breakfast was beautiful, the rooftop cafe was perfect and the price was right, too.
https://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/

Their Facebook page is helpful, as well. There are great photos of the facility and several glowing testimonials.
https://www.facebook.com/hotelcampodefiori/
BluesH

Post by BluesH »

We stayed at the Hotel Villa San Pio -- http://www.aventinohotels.com/villasanpio/en/

Very nice rooms at a more than reasonable price. In a tranquil residential area, but just 10 minute walk to the colosseum and Palatine Hill. Wonderful garden setting in which they serve a great hot breakfast (free). 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor. We really enjoyed our stay.

Bob
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

Stayed in a nice VRBO about 4 blocks from Trevi Fountain (sp?). Great location. Can walk everywhere from this part of the city. Great price too, about $100/night. 2 bed/2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment with kitchen.
brianH

Post by brianH »

NJdad6 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:36 pm The area around Termini is convenient to the trains but not very nice (understatement) and far from the primary sights. I would not stay in that area. Don’t have specific recommendations but try to stay near the Spanish Steps. Great location in the middle of everything.
As another counter-opinion to this, last time we were in Rome, we stayed near Termini (iQ Hotel Roma) and found the area convenient. It is away from most of the bustle and tourist-y feeling areas (that are also loud at late hours), yet it is within 2 blocks of the two major lines A/B that can get you anywhere in the city in a few minutes.

While in Rome, it's worth knowing how to use the metro, particularly the A line, as it stops within walking distance of most of the sites. Depending on how you're arriving/leaving, the B line at Termini is likely going to be involved.
Coato

Post by Coato »

In my opinion, the best neighborhood to stay in is Trastevere. If you look around Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere it is a quick walk across Ponte Milvio to most of the best sights (Navonna, Pantheon, Campo Dei Fiori). I recommend the Slow Food guide to Italy to anyone going. Restaurants don’t change in Italy so it isn’t out of date.

The other train at the airport stops in Trastevere. When you get off you can get a tram toward the river that will dump you in the heart. No idea what public costs now, when I lived there (10 years ago) a monthly pass for all busses, trains and trams inside a Rome was 30 euros a month, or about two cab rides.

I have a very different view of the Termini area than others in this thread, but I lived there so it could be a better neighborhood to tour from.

You should go down to Testaccio at least one evening. This is the foodie neighborhood for Romans. Consult a festival guide before going, they are always worthwhile!
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Stayed at the Albergo del Senato. 5 stars, 4,263 reviews on TripAdvisor. It was great. Right next door to Pantheon. Busy during the day, but not too bad at night.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... Lazio.html
carolc

Post by carolc »

Agree with macaroon. Great small hotel with helpful staff in a convenient location.

carolc
camper1

Post by camper1 »

If you are looking for unique inexpensive lodging and only need the basics, consider a monastery stay. We have had very good experiences with the couple we have done. They are often run by nuns in Rome. (No need to be of any specific religious denomination). Be aware some may have curfews, which will be noted on the descriptions. They are often in very good locations and may include breakfast and optional evening meals.

Good website to see listings:
https://www.monasterystays.com/?d=Italy ... ommodation
m524e

Post by m524e »

In Rome, I normally stay at the Donna Camilla Savelli Hotel. In my opinion, it's a pretty interesting place.
stephenspapa

Post by stephenspapa »

Have you looked at Airbnb? We’re renting an apartment there in February, got a pretty good rate.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

stephenspapa wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:03 pm Have you looked at Airbnb? We’re renting an apartment there in February, got a pretty good rate.
Yes -- there are so many I don't know where to start. I generally prefer apts. to hotels so I'm leaning that way.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

Thanks for all the replies -- lots to research!
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

We stayed at Hotel Columbia a couple years ago. Just a few blocks from Roma Termini, easy walking around city center, delightful staff, excellent breakfast on quiet terrace.

http://hotelcolumbia.com/en/
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

I stay low budget in Rome and it suits me. I like to stay in Prati because you can walk or take public transportation to both the old part of Rome and Vatican. I have stayed at both Hotel Prati and Hotel Colors and both are great. For a more upscale stay, try Due Torri in Rome's center.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Good information. Thanks. We are also considering a trip to Rome and Florence in February.
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

Coato wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:27 pm In my opinion, the best neighborhood to stay in is Trastevere.
+1

We were just in Rome last September. We stayed at the Hotel San Francesco located in Trastevere.
  • Hotel is modern, very clean and with a roof top bar to watch sunsets. Looks like rooms this February are about $75/night
  • The rooms on the backside of the hotel overlook a monestary and garden so are very quiet
  • Minutes walk to cross Viale di Trastevere, and you're in a vibrant area full of restaurants, shops, bars and people. At least in September, the area was filled with people and restaurants quite busy by 7:30pm. (though i'd guess quieter in February)
  • Also just minutes walk to trams 3 and 8 (run every 7 to 10 mins). Several convenient buses also stop nearby. They easily take or connect you to destinations across Rome
A couple other tips:
1) You must visit the Gallery Borghese to see the collection of stunning art work and sculpture. Buy your tickes online and choose one that includes an English tour guide. Having a tour guide to take you through the collection to explain history and backgrounds is more then worth the extra few euros.

2) Beware of "Friend Post". It's a private postal service: expensive, few drop boxes, slow delivery, many complaints. If you get your stamps for your postcards at a souvenir shop may sell you stamps for Friend Post. Be sure to check or just get your stamps at the many Tabacchi shops (they are also marked with the letter "T" displayed) for the Italian postal service
wdo0002

Post by wdo0002 »

macaroon wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:37 pm We spent 3 days in late May at the Hotel Campo De'Fiori in Rome and I highly recommend it! The service could not have been better and the location was perfect. The breakfast was beautiful, the rooftop cafe was perfect and the price was right, too.
https://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/

Their Facebook page is helpful, as well. There are great photos of the facility and several glowing testimonials.
https://www.facebook.com/hotelcampodefiori/
+1

My wife and I stayed here this past May also for our honeymoon. We utilized the rooftop terrace every night. Central location and was able to walk to all the major attractions. Staff was very helpful and will give you great recommendations for all your needs. Will stay here again when we return in the future.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

I'm circling back to this to add the places where I stayed -- figured it might help other people looking if my post comes up in a search.

In Rome, I stayed first at Castel Sant'Angelo guest suites. This was a great location across the river from the old town, so it was a little quieter and felt less touristy. It was a short walk across the river to Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and further afield. The room was nice and spacious and the hosts were very nice. Breakfast included at a cafe around the corner. Also a convenient walk to the Vatican, and the SIT bus from the airport drops off right around the corner.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/le-sta ... type=total&

For the second portion of the trip we stayed at Hotel Camelia, near Termini station. The hotel was excellent, especially for the price. Nice breakfast included, and the room was very quiet. Neighborhood is grittier and 'urban' but we were getting on transits both days we were here (to Pompeii and to Via Appia) so it was most important to be convenient to the train station.

https://www.hotelcameliarome.com/
ironman

Post by ironman »

We used AirBNB in the vicinity of Campo di Fiori and were pleased. It is a central location for the usual sights. The only transport we took was to the Vatican City and the Borghese.
Mister A

Post by Mister A »

For future reference, I stayed at the Hotel Savoy Roma in the winter. People may want to do their own homework about transportation since I mainly Ubered, but loved the hotel, found plenty to eat in the neighborhood, and it was an absolute steal due to the season.
aln10788

Post by aln10788 »

Stay as close to the Pantheon as possible. Congrats you are now walking distance to every major attraction.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

We are AirBnB people.
But, if you are hotel people, bargain hard.
CV Panic is crushing tourist-related business in Italia.
We are seeing it firsthand.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

https://www.bbapictureofrome.com/rooms/

This is where we stayed. "Suite Ottaviano with view of San Peter’s Basilica" is the specific room. Residential area. View of and close to Vatican. Provide breakfast and practical advise. Small, quiet, economical and romantic.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
Kenny911

Post by Kenny911 »

Hopefully this guy didn't get exposed to the CoronaVirus.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

Kenny911 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:26 pm Hopefully this guy didn't get exposed to the CoronaVirus.
This gal has been back 12 days and so far so good, and didn't go to Northern Italy. Rome only started getting cases this weekend.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Use airbnb. Look at the metro station map and pick a few stops away from the city center (e.g. "Bologna").
Low prices in the center means a hellhole without exception.
Too far from the center and you'll be in an area where you don't want to be and will have to spend substantial time commuting.
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

We’ve had great stays through AirBnB in my two favorite neighborhoods, Trastevere and Campo dei’ Fiori. Nice to be able to cook, especially when you can pick up ingredients at a farmers’ market that’s been operating for millennia. At the Campo dei Fiori, we stayed around the corner from a place that had been an inn since imperial days, including being by a Borgia mistress.

The metro is not great, so would not place a premium on proximity to it. We’ve also stayed near Piazza di Spagna, close to a bus hub.

Highly recommend the Capitoline museum; collection quality rivals the Vatican and it is not overly crowded.
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano »

We stayed at Hotel Alberto del Senato with a view of the Pantheon.

It was fantastic.