Vacuum recommendations for Nylon 6.6 carpet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bayareainvestor

Vacuum recommendations for Nylon 6.6 carpet

Post by bayareainvestor » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Hello members,

I just got Masland's Nylon 6.6 carpet installed at my place today. I have been using a Dyson Ball Multi Floor vacuum cleaner for a while but my installer mentioned that Dyson may be just too harsh for my soft nylon carpet. Does Bogleheads.org members have vacuum cleaner recommendations for taking care of this carpet? I have a budget of $400 but could go up for the right vacuum, please share any deal URLs if you got any.

BTW, I also have laminate on 1st floor of my home but currently more focused on vacuum specialized in carpet. Thanks you all in advance :)
“If you buy things you do not need, soon you will have to sell things you need.” -- Warren Buffet

CheCha54

Re: Vacuum recommendations for Nylon 6.6 carpet

Post by CheCha54 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:22 pm

6.6 is no different than other fiber materials. The "soft" comes from the denier or "fineness" of the fiber. Dyson is know to be harsh. If your carpet is very thick an upright may give you trouble. I like the Oreck products, but Hoover etc make good products. Focus on the filter a HEPA is what you want.

You can find good information here. https://carpet-rug.org/testing/seal-of- ... d-vacuums/

Bogle7

Best vacuum

Post by Bogle7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:28 pm

Miele Marin C3 $1100
Don’t whine, just buy it from a local dealer. Ask for spiffs.

Topic Author
bayareainvestor

Post by bayareainvestor » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:13 pm

@CheCha54 Thanks for sharing the URL, lot of good information on vacuums there.
@Bogle7 Miele Marin C3 looks very promising. Convincing my wife now to let me purchase this vacuum. Appreciate the suggestion!
“If you buy things you do not need, soon you will have to sell things you need.” -- Warren Buffet

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:15 am

Manufacturer recommended Soniclean for my soft carpet. Works fine. Upright doesn’t have tools for doing stairs so I had to get a Soniclean canister as well

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:29 am

Any "manufacturer recommendation" should be evaluated with a big pile of salt. Most of the time, this is not based on any analysis of the best equipment for the purpose, but on a marketing agreement between the two companies, i.e. vacuum company pays carpet company $X a year to be "recommended".

My wife and I find that a Bissell upright, usually less than $100, works quite well. Then again, we make our coffee on a machine that costs $60... :D
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:50 am

Any "manufacturer recommendation" should be evaluated with a big pile of salt. Most of the time, this is not based on any analysis of the best equipment for the purpose, but on a marketing agreement between the two companies, i.e. vacuum company pays carpet company $X a year to be "recommended".

Having been in the industry "flooring" I can't agree with this statement.

Topic Author
bayareainvestor

Post by bayareainvestor » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:29 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing thoughts. I ended up buying Soniclean SFC-7000 upright vacuum (https://sonicleanusa.com/products/sonic ... um-cleaner) for my Nylon 6.6 carpet. If you are from San Francisco Bay Area and looking for recommendation on carpet stores that are serious about carpets and won't give you lemons, DM and I can share 2 good firms. I must say, its a painful experience to swim through plethora of options for carpets first and vacuum second :)

Hats off to Boggleheads community for continuous support!