What are you giving (or asking) for Christmas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
YoungLion

Re: What are you giving (or asking) for Christmas?

Post by YoungLion »

This year I'm giving the gift of Peloton . . .
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Another BIG Bag of coal...……….. 8-)
retire57

Post by retire57 »

Largest donation yet to our local animal shelter!
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

LaurieAnnaT wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:22 pm Last year I bought a pair of enChroma glasses for my brother for Christmas. He's red/green colorblind (the most common form) and these glasses correct that somewhat. He loves his glasses. He loved seeing poinsettias last Christmas and he loved seeing the changing colors of the leaves on trees this fall.

Anyway, because the glasses are most effective with bright light, the company recommends that you buy the sunglasses and use them outside. They do sell glasses for indoors, but suggest that they be a secondary pair. Since my brother loved the sunglasses so well, and he's an excellent amateur photographer who does a lot on his computer, I'm buying him a pair of indoors enChroma glasses for this Christmas. In fact, he's already ordered them and hopefully they'll be here by the 25th.
This is very nice. Your brother is very lucky to have you.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Giving:

DH: A gasoline power washer with 50' hose and spray adapter

Mom: New travel cosmetics kit, and a 90m minute massage/reflexology appointment

Sister: Amazon GC
BIL: Visa gift card

Brother & SIL: an Espresso/cappuccino machine
Niece 1: Amazon GC
Niece 2: Punk vinyl
Nephew 1: GC to Gamestop
Nephew 2: Baseball practice net

FIL: 4pack of Marshmallow Fluff (an East Coast thing,not in stores in CA)
MIL: Harry & David fruit and MooseMunch combo
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Jojo Siwa Sunglasses (for a five year old)
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Many of the responses here are quite sad. Our immediate family exchange several gifts and we enjoy opening them as a family. As a military family for so long, we tried to keep the holiday season for ourselves and not get into the habit of traveling during that time of year when we could all be together. So our tradition became to celebrate the holidays with each other and our child and we all consider it a special time of year.

I did not ask for anything this year specifically, but my wife has a great way of finding interesting gifts for me. In turn, I have gotten her most of what she asked for, and a few surprises. Our child, like me, didn’t have anything specific in mind this year, but she has some nice surprises as well. Looking forward to it, ordered the prime rib today from our local butcher!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

LaurieAnnaT wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:22 pm Last year I bought a pair of enChroma glasses for my brother for Christmas. He's red/green colorblind (the most common form) and these glasses correct that somewhat. He loves his glasses. He loved seeing poinsettias last Christmas and he loved seeing the changing colors of the leaves on trees this fall.

Anyway, because the glasses are most effective with bright light, the company recommends that you buy the sunglasses and use them outside. They do sell glasses for indoors, but suggest that they be a secondary pair. Since my brother loved the sunglasses so well, and he's an excellent amateur photographer who does a lot on his computer, I'm buying him a pair of indoors enChroma glasses for this Christmas. In fact, he's already ordered them and hopefully they'll be here by the 25th.
These glasses are incredible. I love color and cannot imagine life without color. Good on you for giving your brother such a wonderful gift.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I asked my girlfriend to buy us two open cockpit flights on Pacific Blue Air over Los Angeles. I told her I would pay half.
mancich

Post by mancich »

DW and I focus on our daughters, though even there we don't go too crazy.
Me: I'm asking for a cordless chain saw for some light tree work.
For DW: a new coffee maker, some perfume, a couple of other things.
We buy what we need/want during the year, so there isn't really any pent-up demand at Christmas time.
I like what another poster said: for people to stop being so ugly to each other. That would be a great gift as we head into 2020. :beer
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

stan1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:32 pm Jojo Siwa Sunglasses (for a five year old)
One of my 6-year-old twin girls wants some sort of Jojo Siwa hair extension thingies. At first I thought that was a Star Wars character I hadn't heard of before. You learn something new every day...
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

SrGrumpy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:15 pm I told my sister I didn't want anything. She got snooty, said she would return the gift to the store. My mother had to intervene, saying she's never really grown up as far as Xmas as concerned (she's 49) and that I need to make sure I get her something small (and definitely wrapped). When is this nightmare over?
As soon as you log on to Amazon and buy your sister a lump of coal for Christmas. Check the option so amazon wraps it for you. Easy!
nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander »

We just bought new phones and laptops. We're looking at a Hyundai Santa Fe for my wife in the spring and a new kitchen this summer. My wife has her birthday on Christmas, so I'll bake her a cake as I do every year. I ordered two pounds of butter crunch from Uncle Sam's Candy, which will be in next week.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Misciagno wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:47 am
stan1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:32 pm Jojo Siwa Sunglasses (for a five year old)
One of my 6-year-old twin girls wants some sort of Jojo Siwa hair extension thingies. At first I thought that was a Star Wars character I hadn't heard of before. You learn something new every day...
I bought the sunglasses but still don't know what a Jojo Siwa is.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

"Baby it's cold outside" here in Michigan. For second winter now, I have to witness my HS DD and MS DS argue every morning on DS going out to start her car and warm it up. Yes, that's his job and small ask of him given she drops him off and picks him up everyday from school. This morning ritual is getting old, so guess who's getting a remote start for Christmas! :D Great debate will be if gift is from her or him. :twisted:
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Asking: that no one purchase anything for me.

Giving: a larger donation than usual to a Christian based charity that helps local people in need.
Sufferlandrian

Post by Sufferlandrian »

I’m giving my brother a copy of “The Bogleheads’ Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio”. I figure that’s the best way to share what I’ve learned without being a know-it-all big brother.
Learning to fish.
gorow

Post by gorow »

I am giving my three grown children The Boglehead's Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio. Having recnetly retired, this is part of my way of saying "you can do it if you plan it" and also, I have written instructions if I pre-decease my DW that they are to continue investing her inherited IRA the same way it has been. So it would be helpful if they understand what that is and why.
Retired 1/1/2019. Not concerned about sequence of returns because two years here taught me what I need to know.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

stan1 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:52 am
Misciagno wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:47 am
I bought the sunglasses but still don't know what a Jojo Siwa is.
I had no idea so I googled it. Apparently she's a teenage youtube persona. Another reason to not allow my 7yr old daughter on youtube.
galving

Post by galving »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:43 pm We give no gifts, except to our grandchild. Wife and I buy what we want, when we want.
Fully agree.
Stuff is just stuff. . .

Over Thanksgiving, we took the family to an NHL game and took lots of pictures.
The photos we turned into a framed collage to hang on the wall for everyone to enjoy and remember.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

3504PIR wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 pm Many of the responses here are quite sad. Our immediate family exchange several gifts and we enjoy opening them as a family. As a military family for so long, we tried to keep the holiday season for ourselves and not get into the habit of traveling during that time of year when we could all be together. So our tradition became to celebrate the holidays with each other and our child and we all consider it a special time of year.

I did not ask for anything this year specifically, but my wife has a great way of finding interesting gifts for me. In turn, I have gotten her most of what she asked for, and a few surprises. Our child, like me, didn’t have anything specific in mind this year, but she has some nice surprises as well. Looking forward to it, ordered the prime rib today from our local butcher!
+1

This reads almost like the "What frugal thing did you do today?" thread.

The opening of presents at Christmas morning is a long-standing tradition at our home--even now that the kids are adults. Gifts are sometimes a bit costly (by the standards of this thread) but seldom extravagant. And these days the gifts seem to be more practical and often something the recipient might have bought for themselves if they had excess cash or weren't so frugal.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:08 pm
3504PIR wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 pm Many of the responses here are quite sad. Our immediate family exchange several gifts and we enjoy opening them as a family. As a military family for so long, we tried to keep the holiday season for ourselves and not get into the habit of traveling during that time of year when we could all be together. So our tradition became to celebrate the holidays with each other and our child and we all consider it a special time of year.

+1

The opening of presents at Christmas morning is a long-standing tradition at our home--even now that the kids are adults. Gifts are sometimes a bit costly (by the standards of this thread) but seldom extravagant. And these days the gifts seem to be more practical and often something the recipient might have bought for themselves if they had excess cash or weren't so frugal.
The origin of Christmas has nothing whatsoever to do with consumerism, which it what it has become in our culture. That is what is sad. We flew out my sister from California so she could spend Thanksgiving with her family. We pay my MIL nearly twice the going rate of a local daycare to watch my son, because they need the money just to get buy. We have a whole family phone plan (~15 people on it), yesterday I venmo'd my stepfather enough money to pay for the entire phone plan for everybody for the whole year. I am using my hard earned financial resources to show my less financially-blessed loved ones how much I care about them, all year. I have no idea how buying others random trinkets, that in many cases they don't even want, just so they have something to open Christmas morning has become so important.

"What do you want?...Remember, it has to be something that is totally frivolous and that you would never buy yourself..." Those are the words of my MIL, every single year at this time to all her children and their spouses. As I personally provide half their household income and have opened my home to them several times (for as long as 6-months) because they can not afford rent, I'm very glad their resources are spent on gifts that are frivolous and that the receiver would never buy themselves. Oh, the spirit of Christmas.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

just my opinion as i became an older adult (and my opinion does not cover young children or charities):

as the years passed i found that the whole concept of

asking people 'what do you want for christmas'

and then

saying to people 'here is what i want for christmas'

is just crafting shopping lists for people.

so, other than charities and young children, i give nothing and specifically ask for nothing.

if i was to ask for something it would be for peace across humanity - but that is hard to gift wrap. :happy
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:19 pm

+1

The origin of Christmas has nothing whatsoever to do with consumerism, which it what it has become in our culture. That is what is sad. We flew out my sister from California so she could spend Thanksgiving with her family. We pay my MIL nearly twice the going rate of a local daycare to watch my son, because they need the money just to get buy. We have a whole family phone plan (~15 people on it), yesterday I venmo'd my stepfather enough money to pay for the entire phone plan for everybody for the whole year. I am using my hard earned financial resources to show my less financially-blessed loved ones how much I care about them, all year. I have no idea how buying others random trinkets, that in many cases they don't even want, just so they have something to open Christmas morning has become so important.

Of course it doesn’t have anything to do with the origins of Christmas, but it happens to be what this thread is about.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I'm hoping for a new goat.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

MN-Investor wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:41 pm
Teague wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 pm
MN-Investor wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 pm Six of us adult siblings exchange names (actually, we cycle through them) and I have my sister's name who lives in Seattle.
Doesn't that get confusing to friends and family?
Groan.
Ha ha! So funny! I’m going to suggest to my family that instead of giving gifts we just exchange names. It could be fun for a day and we would save a lot of money.

I am asking for nothing like I do every year and I love to give candy from a really good local chocolate shop.
LaurieAnnaT

Post by LaurieAnnaT »

A followup of this post -

My brother got his indoor enChroma glasses this past week and loves them. The prescription strength is for his distance to the computer, but they're adequate enough to watch TV a bit further away. My brother's four daughters (ages 16-24) love doing jigsaw puzzles and were working on one with colorful hot air balloons. My SIL remarked that my brother actually started working on it with his girls, the first time my SIL has ever seen him do that. He could not distinguish the colors before.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

3504PIR wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:40 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:19 pm

+1

Of course it doesn’t have anything to do with the origins of Christmas, but it happens to be what this thread is about.
Then what exactly is "sad" about the responses in this thread?