What are you giving (or asking) for Christmas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

What are you giving (or asking) for Christmas?

Post by Bob Sacamano »

curious what everyone plans to give out for the holidays?
Nyc10036

Re: What are you giving (or asking) for Christmas?

Post by Nyc10036 »

Bought myself a Samsung Galaxy Active Watch (not the Active Watch 2 ) mentioned elsewhere in my missing FedEx box post. :D
I am always a late joiner.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Haven't asked for a gift in 10+ years.

As far as giving, a wide mix of things - no gift cards.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

Six of us adult siblings exchange names (actually, we cycle through them) and I have my sister's name who lives in Seattle. She wanted Seattle Seahawks clothing, so that was simple!
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
Teague

Post by Teague »

MN-Investor wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 pm Six of us adult siblings exchange names (actually, we cycle through them) and I have my sister's name who lives in Seattle.
Doesn't that get confusing to friends and family?

This year I plan to give coupons good to take a possession of mine away.
Semper Augustus
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Teague wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 pm
This could be a good episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Teague

Post by Teague »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:05 pm
This could be a good episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
If you happen to know Larry David tell him that's fine by me. :happy
Semper Augustus
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Have never really asked for a gift at any time.
However, have always received far more than I could ever hope for as I count my blessings each year, month, day.

As for giving, whatever those I love have a need for, will be given freely at the right time that is best for them.

Mele Kalikimaka
A Hau'ole Makahiki Hou

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Ask - nothing.
Give - that's Santa's job! :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
MJS

Post by MJS »

My friends & family are traveling more. So, one or more duplicates of things people already have, but forget to pack when travelling:
A travel umbrella instead of trying to remember to pack the hall or car umbrella.
A travel insulated mug, intead of trying to remember to pack the camping or work mug.
A travel phone charger, instead of trying to remember to grab the kitchen charger.
That device that refills a minitube from a regular tooth paste tube: token green effort.
Wrapped in tote or ziplock bag.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I haven’t been able to shop in stores this year, so it has been catalog/intetnet shopping for me.

Brother->. Lands end zipper sweatshirt with sherpa lining.
SIL - lands end night gown and matching slippers.
Nephew- a Vikings cup containing a check to help with his next trip.
Cousin - lands end plaid scarf and some note paper.
Mom. Harry and David’s fruit.
Close friend 1 - smithsonian giftshop - multi color candle
Friend 2 - slippers with owls embroidered on them. From Smithsonian shop too.

Giving to some charities. Food shelve and a place that serves a population of those whom many find undeserving.
Might be giving toCatholic charities as they will be opening some basic but clean housing for homeless. I think it is a 65m$ project so every dollar helps.

I have some gifts for myself - a book on Apollo moon landing. Also an echo dot.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:51 pm Haven't asked for a gift in 10+ years.

As far as giving, a wide mix of things - no gift cards.
I have only been asking for gifts for the last decade or so. MIL tends to give scented stuff or knick knacks if she doesn't have a list. We asked for a winch handle for the sailboat.

Most people know what to expect from us. The parents largely have standing orders, the young families get games or park passes.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

We give no gifts, except to our grandchild. Wife and I buy what we want, when we want.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

Made the change from toys, electronics, and clothes for the grandkids to 529 college savings plans for them. They get so many toys and gifts and other junk for Christmas, that I spoke to their parents first, then the grandkids individually, and they all agreed to the 529 plans.

The same goes for birthdays. I seeded each account, then contribute a specific amount for birthdays and Christmas. The funds are invested in the Vanguard total Stock market index fund. We sat down with the kids and explained what a mutual fund was, and how they owned portions of many companies they now use and own products from... Do you like Disney, you own Disney. Do you like Apple computers, you own Apple. Do you like Starbucks, you now own Starbucks, and so forth and so on...

They look forward to their statements, and see how much it has grown since the last time. But that does not stop grandma from slipping a little gift card or something extra in the statement envelope! LOL

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Longer daylight hours. And I get it. Every year. :happy
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I'm giving almost 100% food this year.

My first year semi-retired, and I dedicated a lot of time to perfecting recipes and learning how to pressure can foods.

Been doing home smoked cheeses and nuts for a few years, and will continue that because they're always a hit.

Also made quite a bit of tart strawberry and sour cherry jam.

And also canned beef chuck, meat spaghetti sauce, chili, and hamburger soup.

That stuff is so convenient, and tastes much better (and is healthier!) than anything you can buy.

Will also bake some fresh soft pretzels and pies if time permits.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
sksavers3

Post by sksavers3 »

Giving:
- Portable Bluetooth speakers for the gift exchange with $50 limit (Sony highly rated speaker; my family is responsible for 4 and as the shopper of the family I decided everyone got the same thing!)
- DH: fancy scotch
- Kids: Virtual reality set for the PS4 & 2 games

Asking:
- This year I’m asking for the kids to make me something that they work on a lot to show me how much they love me :)
- Not asking for anything from DH as we’ve traveled & spent a lot this year (and I have bought myself plenty!!)
Foredeck

Post by Foredeck »

Asking for nothing.

Giving toys to the kids. A knight's sword and shield set, toy train, and kids books.

We stopped giving gifts to the adults in the family. Everyone is so much happier because of this.

We've been focusing more on doing things as a family like going to a Christmas concert, or visit a Christmas market, or baking cookies with grandma.

Takes a lot of the stress away and makes it more fun.

Merry Christmas
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Giving my DH a membership to AAA, a large book that is the history of country music, and a golf swing analysis session and "corrective" lessons.
Giving daughters tickets to two plays at a theater in Seattle, memberships to AAA, and a really good bottle of wine to each of them.
Give granddaughters gift cards that I know they will like and use.

From my daughters I have asked for an original poem from one of them, some lip gloss (more expensive than I would buy, and some little things.

And I give to five charities each December.

Haven't asked for anything from DH because he wouldn't even know how to shop for it. Christmas is not his thing...he likes getting if it's something he has already chosen, but isn't all that comfortable with giving. He writes checks to the kids and grandkids.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

MN-Investor wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 pm Six of us adult siblings exchange names (actually, we cycle through them) and I have my sister's name who lives in Seattle.
Doesn't that get confusing to friends and family?
Groan.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Books for grand kids, money for kids that I hope/expect they donate to charity. I want/need nothing, which is what I get.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I don't ask for gifts. And I don't give gifts. I do spend time with those I love.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Giving DH - a couple of baseball caps, some data disks for APBA baseball, some weights
Son #1 - new computer desk chair, headphones (not expensive)
Daughter #1 boots, video game, some interesting spices
Son #2 computer desk chair that reclines, 2 video games

Asking:
gift cards to my favorite massage establishment
thick wool socks
temperpedic slippers

Yes, we are SO boring!

We do all play the saran wrap game on Christmas Eve. We fill it with the goodies, but it's fun because we can all get something we like.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

sksavers3 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:48 pm - DH: fancy scotch
The gift that keeps on giving. Well, for a while at least. :happy
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

Last year we decided no more gifts for adults. Anything we want/need, we purchase during the year.

We now only give to our 3 grandchildren - a small gift each and a contribution to their 529's; and a small gift each to my cousin's young children.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:22 pm Longer daylight hours. And I get it. Every year. :happy
Always appropriate to ask for what you know you Will receive!
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

For people to stop being ugly to each other.
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We buy what we need all year, so there is nothing to give for Christmas. Our family is small, some live far away, so we do not need to go through all that thinking about what to give.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

Fly fishing set ups for my daughter and I she wanted to learn the last couple of years how to fly fish. We found someone who was willing to teach us for a hand made wooden bowl, we love the barter system :)
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

No gifts given here. Or, hopefully received.
Free at last. This is well know within our family.

The thing about being a successful Boglehead is that you buy what you want when you want.
Wife and I have no wants. A couple needs maybe, but that is taken care of at the time.

Despite that, DW may get me a box of moon pies from the Dollar Store.
She’s like that.
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:22 pm Longer daylight hours. And I get it. Every year. :happy
LOL
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

We're taking a day trip somewhere.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

Not a fan of the season. Should be like the olympics and done once every 4 years. :D

Most of the adults don’t exchange. Maybe a bottle of wine or box of goodies. Wife and I don’t exchange either. One set of our parents expect gifts (have been trying to ween them off this for years). Have been moderately successful on cutting down on all the junk they buy for the kids in favor of cash for college funds. They have wasted a lot of money on things the kids never asked for, wanted or used.

Nieces and nephews get a small gift and a check. It is torture getting a Christmas list from our kids. It is mostly clothes and stuff we would get them anyway.

We host and usually go all out (lots of apps, filet roast, good wine, etc.). That part I enjoy.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I've actually specifically asked my wife and the parents (on both sides) to not got me anything - I'm not a fan of the "gift-giving culture" and I definitely don't need anything - and I'd prefer they contributed to my kids' 529s (which I suggested a few years ago and created major family drama) but the wife was insistent on new snow shoes this year. So, we were going to get each other snow shoes, but my mother caught wind so that is what we are getting from her.

Giving? My kids get a budget and they get to choose whatever they want (at 7 and 4, we have to help with the budgeting), so we finished Xmas shopping in July. My wife buys pretty everybody she has (and my kids) ever met Xmas presents, so there are about 1000 packages under my tree right now and I don't even want to know what they are because it'll just make me annoyed. She's amazing at making clay figurines, so there are a few dozen Harry Potter, Star Wars, and various animal clay ornaments on my kitchen counter right now, ready to be distributed to teachers, friends, co-workers, etc.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Wifey thinks she is finally getting a kitchen aide mixer, and she is, but the surprise is that she is also getting an apple watch 4.

My boys are getting spotting scopes. The last time I went to the range everyone had one, except for the two of them, so that was easy.

Daughter, no idea, that is my wife's department. I will be surprised as she is.

Granddaughter (2) - token gifts, about $30, and money in her college fund.

Me: combo birthday and Christmas gift: Advanced Scuba Cert class in Key Largo.

Our family really enjoys giving and my son got me a really nice gift for my birthday. Something that I always wanted but would not have spent the money on myself.
mikepru

Post by mikepru »

We bought inexpensive snow sleds/slides for all the younger nieces and nephews in the family. It should be a big hit.

For our daughter-26 yrs old--a gift certificate to the Kennedy Center in DC where she and her fiancé live.

For our son--29 yrs old--a gift membership to the Aquarium in Chattanooga. He loves marine biology and the Aquarium is very good there.

For my wife--she has an extensive flower garden, but the manual labor is becoming way too much at her age. I found a young woman who has a gardening consult/maintenance/weeding/mulching /etc business, and will set up recurring visits by her staff---maybe every 10-14 days---to help with the garden.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Asking: for the umpteenth year in a row--for the lights on the tree and elsewhere not to be on 24/7 and for the tree to be down before New Year's Day.

Giving: DW and her elves a hard time when I don't get what I ask for.

The Grinch
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

I purchased a Behmor 1600AB Plus coffee roaster as my gift this year. I’m already enjoying some very good coffee in the mornings from it. French Press is my brewing method. I drink my coffee black.

Cheers
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

I’m only giving gifts to my only 30 yr. old child and her fiancé and my only 11 yr. old grandchild this year.
For my daughter and fiancé a Lowe’s gift card for helping with house fixes....
My granddaughter loves Starbucks and Five Below discount store, so gift cards for her.....
I no longer buy her toys as she’s out grown them. I did start funding an education account for her.

Asking for myself, my favorite Lindt chocolates....And I bought myself some really nice, expensive bed sheets!
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

I told my sister I didn't want anything. She got snooty, said she would return the gift to the store. My mother had to intervene, saying she's never really grown up as far as Xmas as concerned (she's 49) and that I need to make sure I get her something small (and definitely wrapped). When is this nightmare over?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:36 pm Asking: for the umpteenth year in a row--for the lights on the tree and elsewhere not to be on 24/7 and for the tree to be down before New Year's Day.

Giving: DW and her elves a hard time when I don't get what I ask for.

The Grinch
Ha ha, we have this discussion every day: why exactly are the lights on on the Christmas tree for 8hrs a day when nobody is home and when we are all asleep? I think I may give up fighting this battle with the wife.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

I give my kids and god daughter each $100 to their 529, they get enough toys from everyone else especially grandparents. My wife I am buying her a few comfort things like warm slippers, warm thermal clothes, maybe a remote starter for her car, and then stocking stuffers.

All I want is either a new job or some new clients for my new marketing business.....
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

SrGrumpy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:15 pm I told my sister I didn't want anything. She got snooty, said she would return the gift to the store. My mother had to intervene, saying she's never really grown up as far as Xmas as concerned (she's 49) and that I need to make sure I get her something small (and definitely wrapped). When is this nightmare over?
It’s over when you say it is and stick to it. The first year may be a big hubbub, but if you get through that second year, it is all sweet.
Just say no to giving and receiving gifts. Like giving up drugs.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Shallowpockets wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:51 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:15 pm I told my sister I didn't want anything. She got snooty, said she would return the gift to the store. My mother had to intervene, saying she's never really grown up as far as Xmas as concerned (she's 49) and that I need to make sure I get her something small (and definitely wrapped). When is this nightmare over?
It’s over when you say it is and stick to it. The first year may be a big hubbub, but if you get through that second year, it is all sweet.
Just say no to giving and receiving gifts. Like giving up drugs.
You would not believe the family drama that ensued 2yrs ago when I suggested to my parents and in-laws that they contribute to my kids' 529s instead of buying me gifts. My wife made me do a formal face-to-face apology. The same thing happened ever single birthday and Christmas for years: my in-laws asked me what I want, when I tell them nothing (considering we provide half their income, I would appreciate it if they didn't spend it on useless consumer items) they get offended, and it causes tension for months. So, last year I decided to respond with "peanut butter" (something I buy anyways): they were kind of angry about it, but they showed up to Christmas with 4 jars of Adams natural PB. My mom always buys me something cool, that I had never even thought of (and they have a ton more disposable income than in-laws), so I don't push it with them.

Some people are very emotionally tied to buying others worthless garbage. That is my in-laws, and to a slightly lesser extent my wife.
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Asking: a Montessori chair / helper tower for my 1 year old from my incredibly talented woodworking father. Nothing else, although I'm sure I'll receive things from my parents and in-laws. DW and I agreed on a no-gifts policy, instead putting funds into our sinking travel fund.

Giving: woodworking tools for dad; spa for mom. DW will shop for her parents. For my one adult nephew who lives to videogame, a new SSD and fancy controller. For my much younger nephew, some toys and a contribution to his 529.

Getting: experiencing the Christmas season through the eyes of my precocious toddler, which has been a delight.
LaurieAnnaT

Post by LaurieAnnaT »

Last year I bought a pair of enChroma glasses for my brother for Christmas. He's red/green colorblind (the most common form) and these glasses correct that somewhat. He loves his glasses. He loved seeing poinsettias last Christmas and he loved seeing the changing colors of the leaves on trees this fall.

Anyway, because the glasses are most effective with bright light, the company recommends that you buy the sunglasses and use them outside. They do sell glasses for indoors, but suggest that they be a secondary pair. Since my brother loved the sunglasses so well, and he's an excellent amateur photographer who does a lot on his computer, I'm buying him a pair of indoors enChroma glasses for this Christmas. In fact, he's already ordered them and hopefully they'll be here by the 25th.
ER2023

Post by ER2023 »

We also stopped giving gifts in the family about 10 years ago and it's been such a relief. We definitely don't mind spending on experiences though. We saw TSO and some local shows - had a good time.

Now the work thing is a different story ... will not miss that when I retire.
Lyra

Post by Lyra »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:16 pm Have never really asked for a gift at any time.
However, have always received far more than I could ever hope for as I count my blessings each year, month, day.

As for giving, whatever those I love have a need for, will be given freely at the right time that is best for them.

Mele Kalikimaka
A Hauole Makahiki Hou
is this the actual spelling?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Lyra wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:14 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:16 pm Have never really asked for a gift at any time.

Mele Kalikimaka
A Hauole Makahiki Hou
is this the actual spelling?
A Hau'ole Makahiki Hou, said as Hau . . Oli (da kine joy, happiness, kinda la dat)

mahalo
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

Money to kids - two live overseas and that is the most efficient gift we can send them. One in the US is working his way through college and that is what he prefers.

Visa cards to unmarried nieces and nephews, they can choose what they want and where they want to spend it. They are happy with this.

A gift certificate to a movie or entertainment center (like bowling or topgolf) to our married nieces and nephews with kids. Essentially a "family night out" courtesy of us. They make more than we do so they or their kids do not need any more stuff. They appreciate us giving them a night out somewhere.

Nothing to our siblings, no need to exchange gifts among each other, we see each other enough during the year and there is nothing we can give each other that we cannot get ourselves.

I do not want for anything, but my kids choose to give me what they think are little things but I am fine with... wood for my woodworking projects, set of golf balls, Amazon gift card, candy or fruit gift box, bird food for our bird feeders, dog snacks to keep the neighbors dogs happy when I am working outside, etc.

Outside of the family, we will play "Secret Santa" for several families with young kids who are in need. this is probably my favorite thing to do - I get more than I give doing this.