Which iPhone would you buy today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lostinjersey

Which iPhone would you buy today?

Post by lostinjersey » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:01 pm

My SE is on its last legs. My iphone-buying-strategy has been to buy the two-year-old version (new) and keep it for 3-4 years. Is that still a good plan these days?

If not, what would you recommend?

02nz

Re: Which iPhone would you buy today?

Post by 02nz » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:05 pm

The SE and 6S generation are very capable phones even by today's standards in terms of processing power. If everything else is working, maybe a battery replacement is worthwhile.

If you want not too much of a size increase, the 8 is probably the right answer, although at this point I might wait and see if Apple comes out with an SE replacement (as has been rumored for early 2020). The XR has a bigger screen and is one gen newer than the 8. The 11 is another gen newer and has excellent cameras, a big improvement even over the XR.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:07 pm

Mint XS or XS Max from Swappa.com.

XR and 11 have the lower resolution screen.

1 version back, but good value now. $639 for a Mint XS Max for AT&T today (just an example).
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

furikake

Post by furikake » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:07 pm

I'd buy the latest and greatest and the largest capacity since I keep my phones for a long time.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Our 6sPlus phones are still alive and kicking...at least for now.

I must say though, that for the first time since moving over to Apple products (2006), we are considering alternatives.

We really don't need a phone with 3 (or 4) cameras on it.

Pricing is just getting out of hand with Apple's stuff.

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:13 pm

I would buy the iPhone 11 (not 11 Pro). Base model iPhone 11 is $699. Last year's model is the iPhone XR, base model is $599.

What do you get for $100? Newer faster processor, longer battery life (both will be a huge improvement over SE), and a wide-angle lens for camera. Maybe that $100 is not worth it for you?
62 yo, 1-3y til retire. AA 70/30: 30% S&P, 16% value, 14% intl, 10% EM, 30% short/int govt bonds. DW & my Fed pensions now ≈60% of expenses. Taking SS @age 70--> pension+SS ≈100% of expenses.

tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:21 pm

You need to hold some of these phones to decide as the size may be a breaking point. The XR is big coming from the SE. I enjoy it now but you may find it almost not fitting in your pocket.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:30 pm

I never understand how folks think the SE or 6S are “very capable phones.” They are slow, small, and take awful pictures. Sure if you just check email, text, and browse the occasional webpage it’s fine...but other than that bleh.

OP I’d highly recommend an XR on the low end, or an XS if you can find a good price. If you really like taking pictures the 11 Pro can’t be beat but of course $$$. The 11 is an odd phone because I find the wide angle lense to be somewhat useless. The telephoto lense is much more useful—I’m sure that’s why Apple only puts it on their most expensive phone :annoyed

The reality is that you’re not spending as much as you think because a current gen Iphone will likely still be worth several hundred dollars in 3-4 years. A 5-6 year old iphone will be relatively worthless.

pomomojo

Post by pomomojo » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:51 pm

There is a 64GB iPhone XS on sale at Bestbuy for $650.
Seems like a good deal if you like the Apple Ecosystem

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:22 pm

What do you use it for? If it's calling, texting, occasional internet use, and other basic stuff, the cheapest one they sell at any given time will do the job.

If you like taking pictures and have the cash, the 11 Pro is really nice. This is a nicely written review I read just the other day on how much the camera has improved: https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/12/10/b ... ne-11-pro/
Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:30 pm
The 11 is an odd phone because I find the wide angle lense to be somewhat useless. The telephoto lense is much more useful—I’m sure that’s why Apple only puts it on their most expensive phone
I absolutely think this was done on purpose to sell more of the expensive models. I use the telephoto lens on my XS way more than I ever thought I would, and a 13 mm equivalent lens is difficult to compose with for most normal people who aren't accustomed to ultra wides. Nice to have, but if I had to only pick two, the ultra wide wouldn't be it.

snailderby

Post by snailderby » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
I never understand how folks think the SE or 6S are “very capable phones.” They are slow, small, and take awful pictures. Sure if you just check email, text, and browse the occasional webpage it’s fine...but other than that bleh.
I just switched from the SE to an Android. The SE didn't feel any slower than my newer phone. It's small, but that's a plus for some people. And I think it took better pictures than my current phone. YMMV.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm pondering the same thing. My phone is an iphone 6. The battery was replaced a year or so ago. It is in great shape but definitely is slowing down and at times swiping seems to get ignored (or maybe it is my finger?).

The newer camera that takes great night photos is a nice plus but I'm not someone who is taking tons and tons of photos.

I'll probably decide in the next month or two. In the past all of my phones have been new (I think I had one prior iPhone and then a LG flip phone and probably still have them in the house somewhere) but the prices are getting crazy. Affordability isn't a huge issue but the thought of a $500+ item getting stolen or broken is painful.

Hector

Post by Hector » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:50 pm

iPhone 6s; cheapest new iPhone available at $150.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:14 pm

snailderby wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:30 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
I just switched from the SE to an Android. The SE didn't feel any slower than my newer phone. It's small, but that's a plus for some people. And I think it took better pictures than my current phone. YMMV.
This unfortunately tells us nothing. There are 1000s of phones that run android. I’m sure an SE/ 6s is better than the overwhelming majority of them. That doesn’t make the SE/6s a great phone to purchase today though.

It’s also important to note that Apple typically only supports a phone for 4 years. It is unlikely the 6S/SE will support iOS 14. If you’re someone who wants to keep their phone for 4 years should buy the latest model.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:26 pm

By your strategy, an iPhone 8 would fit the bill. $449 for the 8 or $549 for the bigger 8+.
However, for another $150 I would go with the 11. Far superior in many aspects, most importantly for me is camera and processor.
Agreed with other the 11 pro is not worth the higher price
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:14 pm
snailderby wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
This unfortunately tells us nothing. There are 1000s of phones that run android. I’m sure an SE/ 6s is better than the overwhelming majority of them. That doesn’t make the SE/6s a great phone to purchase today though.

It’s also important to note that Apple typically only supports a phone for 4 years. It is unlikely the 6S/SE will support iOS 14. If you’re someone who wants to keep their phone for 4 years should buy the latest model.
I'm the one who called the 6S/SE "very capable" in an earlier post - although I also clearly stated that was in regard to processing power, and that newer models (esp. the 11) have much better cameras. And of course this assumes they're not being throttled because of a weak battery.

Apple has been trending toward providing software support for longer. The 5S got 6 years of updates. The 6 got one year less. This makes sense when you look at the internals - the 6 has the same amount of RAM and only very slightly faster processor than the 5S, so they "lost" software support at the same time (although they're still getting iOS 12 service releases).

The 6S and SE got a much larger bump in processor speed, moved to faster NVME storage, AND doubled the RAM. When I switched from the 6 to 6S, I noticed a bigger improvement than in switching from the 6S to XS. I think it's likely the 6S/SE will get software support through at least iOS 14 (summer 2021).

For most users something like the XR or 11 is probably the best value. But if photo quality isn't a major factor, then you can easily buy something older and have it remain very usable (in terms of responsiveness and app support) for quite a few years to come.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:37 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:26 pm
By your strategy, an iPhone 8 would fit the bill. $449 for the 8 or $549 for the bigger 8+.
However, for another $150 I would go with the 11. Far superior in many aspects, most importantly for me is camera and processor.
The iPhone X and 11 don't have a physical home button, which I'm not (yet) ready to get rid of.

I figure FaceID to open the phone is going to be like the fingerprint reader was. It'll take a few generations to get perfected.

I just got my wife an iPhone 8 a couple months ago (my son was getting her old phone as his first phone).

The iPhone 8 is the last (so far) with a home button on the front of the phone. It still works, and sells as a discount since it's a couple years old.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:49 pm

I am an SE user because I use it as a “phone” (I prefer my iPad for other tasks like reading and posting on BH). I don’t want a bigger phone, but when the time comes to replace my SE, I will likely choose an 8 because later ones are another bump up in size.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

SuperSaver1975

Post by SuperSaver1975 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:49 pm

iPhone 6 because of the 3.5mm headphone jack!

firedup

Post by firedup » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:08 pm

I own the XS right now which I love. I would not trade it for any of the new models.

My wife has an SE which she likes for the smaller form factor. Were she to upgrade her phone, I'd suggest the 8. She doesn't care so much about the camera or screen resolution, nor would she want to spend 1,000 bucks on a phone (thank goodness). The 8 is obviously bigger than the SE, but not as large as the XR or 11.

If you live near an Apple Store, I did find it helpful to handle the phones. I found the XR and Plus models far too large and coming from an SE, you may feel the same.

Also, if you want a phone that will be supported by Apple for a few years, I'd go with the 8 and skip the soon-to-be-obsolete 6.
"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike" --Maya Angelou

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:20 pm

mmcmonster wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:37 pm
I figure FaceID to open the phone is going to be like the fingerprint reader was. It'll take a few generations to get perfected.
I bought my iPhone XR last year with the same worry and was pleasantly surprised to learn I was wrong. For me, Face ID is more reliable than Touch ID ever was. It works flawlessly under a variety of conditions. It works in a dark bedroom in the middle of the night. It recognizes me when I am wearing a bicycle helmet and sunglasses. It just works.

Apple may not have the cheapest technology, but it is consistently among the best.
62 yo, 1-3y til retire. AA 70/30: 30% S&P, 16% value, 14% intl, 10% EM, 30% short/int govt bonds. DW & my Fed pensions now ≈60% of expenses. Taking SS @age 70--> pension+SS ≈100% of expenses.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:47 pm

firedup wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:08 pm
Also, if you want a phone that will be supported by Apple for a few years, I'd go with the 8 and skip the soon-to-be-obsolete 6.
The 6/6 Plus is already obsolete, it only got updates through iOS 12. The oldest iPhone getting iOS 13 updates is the 6S (and 6S Plus and SE), one generation later. I suspect the 6S/SE will get updates for one additional cycle, through summer 2021, but only Apple knows.

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I like the pictures coming from my 11 pro a bunch.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:54 pm

I retired my iPhone 6 and purchased an iPhone 11 pro last month. I'm happy with it. The size is not much bigger than my old phone (a plus for me) and the cameras are great. I figure I will amortize the purchase price over 5 years or so, about the length of time I had my old iPhone 6.
De gustibus non est disputandum

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Apple 11 ProMax. I use my phone for many, many different tasks. Why the 11 ProMax? For the same reason I sometimes eat at a steakhouse rather than McDonalds, eat shrimp instead of beans, drive something other than a beater, have a wonderful wife who is the love of my life, and hear the word from the one who secures my eternity instead of living for the moment in suspect ways. This life is too short to constantly immerse ones self in second, third, or fourth bests - or last place. :D YMMD
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm

I am waiting until usb c is the port of choice on iphones. If you don’t care about that, then it depends on your camera preferences.

I would never go back to touch id; face id is my preference of biometric authentication between the two.
Frugality, indexing, time.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:59 pm

If I were in the market I would get the version of newest iphone with the 3 cameras. A phone camera is the best camera that is always with me.

jmorgans

Post by jmorgans » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:07 pm

iPhone X I think is the best value out there if you can find one. Telephoto lens and OLED screen are two features you’d have to spend a lot more to find on a current model.

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 pm

This summer I gave my daughter my SE and bought a 7 for about $300. Just last week my husbands 6 started having screen problems so we got him the 8 for about $350. Neither of us wanted to spend above that price point for a phone. Sometimes I do miss the smaller form of the SE (which my teen loves to complain about :P ) I would have liked the 8 for myself but at the time it was $600 and I didn’t want to pay that.

Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:44 pm

I don’t quite understand the argument for not wanting to spend over $x for a “phone”. For all practical purposes you will be spending a considerable amount of time on your phone doing things that range from banking to streaming to taking photos.

For many people this means the phone is actually their primary computing device based on number of interactions/time spent. Considering Apple phones hold their value well, trading your 2 year old phone for the new one ends up costing a few hundred dollars every two years. In return you’re getting an amazing device and software that respects your privacy. If you want to take advantage of your smartphone capabilities and can afford it, you should get the best possible phone.

If you primarily use your phone to text and call with occasional email checking you should probably not care about iPhone vs Android and only then it’s fair to compare them on price only.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:53 pm

My wife just replaced her iphone5s with an iPhone 11, and she really likes it.

The phone still worked fine, but was small to type on. She got a letter saying that her phone would not work soon due to 3G support going away for her plan. (TracFone), and she was almost done with her plan.

I'm keeping mine as a backup since I still have months to go, and I just got a pixel 3a XL for Google Fi. I'll see if it really stops working .

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Best advice - go to the apple store and touch and try each one. I would recommend the 11 but lower cost ones such as 8, X, XR may work for you. I recently got the XR for work and I'm surprised how thick and slow it was. I almost wanted to keep my 7+.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

folkher0

Post by folkher0 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:00 pm

RobLyons wrote:
I just bought a new unlocked 8+ for my wife at visible.com for $364. She didn’t like the idea of faceid.There are rebates on top of that if you want to sign up for their service. Really good deal.
Last edited by folkher0 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sksavers3

Post by sksavers3 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Well I’ll tell you what I just did: I ordered an 11 Pro because it’s the best camera out there today. And I got the 256gb.

2 years ago I needed to replace a broken 6 and cheaped out with the 8. For a couple hundred more I could have had a 10, which would still be fine today and for several more years. I’ve regretted that decision especially as I don’t even own a camera anymore so the iPhone is my voice, text, email on the go, internet, & camera with me all the time. This month I decided it was worth it to splurge on the highest end and plan to keep it for as long as it’s supported. Whatever improvements made in the next few years won’t matter to me as it’s good enough (I mean, it’s amazing!!).

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:03 pm

I keep my phone for a long time. I buy the latest model phone unlocked (after testing it out at the Apple store) in order to get the most years of support.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Just upgraded family 6s's with brand new 7's through cricket at just $160. They run a promotion this time of year of $100 off iphones when you port in a number. Very easy to get port in #'s to use for this deal. I will sell the 6s's and the new 7's will cost about $75-80 each. Great value..

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 pm

6 or 6s. They have them on Amazon used refurbished for a little over $100. Some sellers offer 12 month warranty. Can't go wrong...

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Sourc3 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:44 pm
I don’t quite understand the argument for not wanting to spend over $x for a “phone”. For all practical purposes you will be spending a considerable amount of time on your phone doing things that range from banking to streaming to taking photos.

For many people this means the phone is actually their primary computing device based on number of interactions/time spent. Considering Apple phones hold their value well, trading your 2 year old phone for the new one ends up costing a few hundred dollars every two years. In return you’re getting an amazing device and software that respects your privacy. If you want to take advantage of your smartphone capabilities and can afford it, you should get the best possible phone.

If you primarily use your phone to text and call with occasional email checking you should probably not care about iPhone vs Android and only then it’s fair to compare them on price only.
for most people, an older iphone will do everything they possibly need. No need to have the latest model....ever..IMHO

Post by 1789 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:47 am

I have XSMAX. It is a very good device. Paid $1100 about 7 months ago.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:50 am

I have a policy against buying Appel products. My companies buys them for me for free. It's very convenient!

I have the iPhone 11 Pro, the smaller version, which is outstanding. Battery life is long, camera is great, the only issue is my eyes are bad for reading on the smaller screen.

spae

Post by spae » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 am

Jags4186 wrote:
If you look at interactive benchmarks, the SE and 6S are better than any Android phone at computationally cheap tasks. They lose to modern mid-range Android phones at multi-threaded compute and to very high end phones on single-threaded compute. The GPU is anemic compared to modern devices, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that OP doesn't play newly released 3d mobile games and doesn't need an advance GPU.

Most people use devices that actually much slower than an SE or a 6S. That's not for me, I want a faster phone, but I don't think it's that hard to understand why some people would be ok with an SE or a 6S when many people are ok with much slower phones.
Last edited by spae on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Smith1776

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:08 am

Null.
Last edited by Smith1776 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:49 am

02nz wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:36 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:14 pm
snailderby wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

I'm the one who called the 6S/SE "very capable" in an earlier post - although I also clearly stated that was in regard to processing power, and that newer models (esp. the 11) have much better cameras. And of course this assumes they're not being throttled because of a weak battery.

Apple has been trending toward providing software support for longer. The 5S got 6 years of updates. The 6 got one year less. This makes sense when you look at the internals - the 6 has the same amount of RAM and only very slightly faster processor than the 5S, so they "lost" software support at the same time (although they're still getting iOS 12 service releases).

The 6S and SE got a much larger bump in processor speed, moved to faster NVME storage, AND doubled the RAM. When I switched from the 6 to 6S, I noticed a bigger improvement than in switching from the 6S to XS. I think it's likely the 6S/SE will get software support through at least iOS 14 (summer 2021).

For most users something like the XR or 11 is probably the best value. But if photo quality isn't a major factor, then you can easily buy something older and have it remain very usable (in terms of responsiveness and app support) for quite a few years to come.
The SE was a unique phone a few years back. I went looking for an Android phone that was no larger and didn't weigh more, and came up empty. A few small phones that fit the criteria were old and slow. Are there any usable small Android phones no bigger or heavier than an SE?

Unfortunately, the choices are limited as to what to replace with today. Same phone or bigger phone for updates. Best thing is hope that a true replacement is in the pipeline and the current phone survives until then.

What's wrong with the phone? If it's just the battery, rather than replace it, would an external pack tide you over half a year?

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:34 am

folkher0 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:00 pm
RobLyons wrote:
I just bought a new unlocked 8+ for my wife at visible.com for $364. She didn’t like the idea of faceid.There are rebates on top of that if you want to sign up for their service. Really good deal.

Wow that's a great price. I don't know why I've never heard of visible. You just helped me find my wife's big Christmas present! :sharebeer

Edit: Looks like there's no way to buy without activating with visible :-(
Last edited by RobLyons on Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:40 am

mmcmonster wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:37 pm
The iPhone X and 11 don't have a physical home button, which I'm not (yet) ready to get rid of.

I just got my wife an iPhone 8 a couple months ago (my son was getting her old phone as his first phone).

The iPhone 8 is the last (so far) with a home button on the front of the phone. It still works, and sells as a discount since it's a couple years old.
I wouldn’t worry about the loss of the home button. The swipe gesture that replaces it is actually easier to trigger than a button, and it’s one less part to break. The home button on one of my kid’s iPads has been broken for over a year. No point in fixing it because the gesture works fine even on a device that wasn’t designed for it.

FaceID is implemented flawlessly already. It’s astonishing how well it works - so well that your device is typically unlocked before you even realize it. The only time I find it less convenient is when the device is sitting flat on a table. Sometimes I have to either hunch over it or tilt the device up, but that is rarer than I expected and the overall convenience of FaceID is worth it.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:44 am

I think the 11 is the best phone for most people these days. At $700 brand new I think it’s a far better deal than paying even half that for an 8 which will be outdated at least 2 years earlier. It takes much better pictures and has astonishingly good battery life.

The main issue, especially coming from the SE, is the size. This is an advantage when you are actually interacting with the device - and once you are used to it you’ll have a hard time going back to a small device, but I still haven’t quite gotten used to the physical size of even my 11 Pro, and the 11 is a bit bigger still.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:01 am

onourway wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:44 am
I think the 11 is the best phone for most people these days. At $700 brand new I think it’s a far better deal than paying even half that for an 8 which will be outdated at least 2 years earlier. It takes much better pictures and has astonishingly good battery life.

The main issue, especially coming from the SE, is the size. This is an advantage when you are actually interacting with the device - and once you are used to it you’ll have a hard time going back to a small device, but I still haven’t quite gotten used to the physical size of even my 11 Pro, and the 11 is a bit bigger still.

I tried to swipe an 11 on Black Friday. Walmart had a gift card for $300-$400 depending on which iPhone was purchased. However, life happened and it was sold out online by the early morning. :( :oops:
I think you're right that the 11 is the best choice but also it's difficult to justify a $700 purchase when money is tight.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:27 am

longleaf wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm
I am waiting until usb c is the port of choice on iphones. If you don’t care about that, then it depends on your camera preferences.

I would never go back to touch id; face id is my preference of biometric authentication between the two.
There are rumors that the 2021 iPhones may skip USB-C altogether and go completely port-less.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 am

climber2020 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:27 am
longleaf wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm

There are rumors that the 2021 iPhones may skip USB-C altogether and go completely port-less.
Feels too soon for me. It’d be a huge step backwards in two respects - one, having to carry and use a wireless charger while traveling would be a huge pita. Second, Apple finally released an iPhone with a real fast charger, and wireless is currently less than half that speed. I’m sure there will be improvements in both of these arenas, but not enough by 2021.