White Quartz Countertops Yellowing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RJC

White Quartz Countertops Yellowing

Post by RJC »

Dear friends,

We recently noticed that our white Zodiaq quartz countertops (~6 years old) are starting to yellow around the sink area. Does anyone have experience with treating quartz countertops to whiten them up without making it dull? Are there professionals that do these types of things?

Thanks in advance.
Mapmaker

Re: White Quartz Countertops Yellowing

Post by Mapmaker »

You will get loads of answers from the Gardenweb Kitchen Forum
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchens
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Check the manufacturer’s website for advice on stain removal or how to make a warranty claim (if still in force) if it needs to be replaced. You can also try the installer/supplier for advice/help.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

We use Bon Ami to clean our quartz countertops. Have you tried that?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We just had new quartz countertops installed, also Zodiac brand, earlier this summer. The idiot doing the backsplash ended up staining them with grout and washing with soap and water couldn't remove the stains. I called the company and they recommended using SoftScrub with Bleach or Windex with Vinegar to clean them. They said avoid using anything with ammonia in it. We did the SoftScrub with Bleach and it cleaned them right up.
pfrank

Post by pfrank »

You said the stains are around the sink area. Is it because the plumber used the wrong type of plumber’s putty? You can’t use the regular type of putty with these types of countertops (includes Corian too). The oil in the putty gets absorbed into the countertop causing stains that aren’t going to come out.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Mapmaker wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:50 am You will get loads of answers from the Gardenweb Kitchen Forum
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchens
I posted the same question on their site. Thanks.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Leemiller wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:02 am We use Bon Ami to clean our quartz countertops. Have you tried that?
I have not. Can you use on gloss/semi-gloss tops?
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:04 am We just had new quartz countertops installed, also Zodiac brand, earlier this summer. The idiot doing the backsplash ended up staining them with grout and washing with soap and water couldn't remove the stains. I called the company and they recommended using SoftScrub with Bleach or Windex with Vinegar to clean them. They said avoid using anything with ammonia in it. We did the SoftScrub with Bleach and it cleaned them right up.
The bleach wasn't too harsh? Thanks.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

pfrank wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:27 am You said the stains are around the sink area. Is it because the plumber used the wrong type of plumber’s putty? You can’t use the regular type of putty with these types of countertops (includes Corian too). The oil in the putty gets absorbed into the countertop causing stains that aren’t going to come out.
It's more of a 4-5" ring around the whole sink area gradually turned a light shade of yellow. I'm thinking it may be the more wear and tear in that area (soaps, oils, dirt, etc.).
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Do you know why they are yellowing?

What kind of dish soap do you use?
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

mortfree wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm Do you know why they are yellowing?

What kind of dish soap do you use?
I'm not sure. The only thing I can think of is just the dirt and standing water from washing the dishes, cutting board, etc.

We use regular Dawn dish soap.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:04 am We just had new quartz countertops installed, also Zodiac brand, earlier this summer. The idiot doing the backsplash ended up staining them with grout and washing with soap and water couldn't remove the stains. I called the company and they recommended using SoftScrub with Bleach or Windex with Vinegar to clean them. They said avoid using anything with ammonia in it. We did the SoftScrub with Bleach and it cleaned them right up.
Regular Windex contains ammonia.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

RJC wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:12 pm
Leemiller wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:02 am We use Bon Ami to clean our quartz countertops. Have you tried that?
I have not. Can you use on gloss/semi-gloss tops?
Mine are semi-gloss. It is very gentle and takes off the marks from flatware quite well. I think it might be the lightest option on this thread.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

RJC wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:13 pm
The bleach wasn't too harsh? Thanks.
We didn't use straight bleach. We used "Softscrub with Bleach" a premixed substance that came in just one bottle and it worked very well and didn't do any damage. It was recommended to us by the manufacturer of Zodiac brand quartz.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:08 pm
Regular Windex contains ammonia.
Yes, but there is a version that contains vinegar and no ammonia. It says it in big letters on the bottle.